Hotel Room and On the Air DVD...any news?

Discussion of On the Air

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

worthit
Roadhouse Member

Hotel Room and On the Air DVD...any news?

Post by worthit »

It's been a long time since I heard any news regarding the release of Hotel Room and On the Air on DVD. Does anyone know anything? Are these two shows ever going to be released at all? DVD has been around for more than 12 years now and we still haven't seen these two gems. Do we have to wait that long for the blu-ray release as well?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Hotel Room and On the Air DVD...any news?

Post by Jerry Horne »

Will Hotel and OTA ever see a Blu-Ray release?

I have heard no news except that Lynch was looking in to it or 'working' on them. I'm hoping they will both be in a box set with the deleted scenes from FWWM and other titles. A follow-up to the Lime set if you will.

I just interviewed someone from OTA as a matter of fact and I'm going to send her a copy of her episode as someone had 'liberated' it from her!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

There have been lots of talks between Lynch and CBS but so far, no release date has been set. If it is released, it will be a CBS release unless Absurda acquires the rights to the Series. I know that CBS plans on releasing. Likely it will coincide with the Twin Peaks Blu-ray release.

-B
Chareth

Post by Chareth »

I was lucky enough to see Lynch's Hotel Room episodes on the big screen today and was floored, particularly by 'Blackout'. Incredible performances and astounding atmosphere, even through the blocky VHS haze. It's such an absorbing and poignant piece of quasi-theatre.

Dugpa, I saw your recent RT request on Twitter to those who wanted to see this and On the Air get an official release. Are we any closer to that happening than we were in 2008-09 when Lynch and CBS were discussing it? Were they being mulled for a release to tie in with Twin Peaks season 3? It'd be great to know more if you're in a position to share.

Incidentally, was this shot on film and so could benefit from a Blu-ray release? It's hard to tell given the poor quality of the surviving version. 'Blackout' is just dying for a better transfer.
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

I would pay 500 bucks to see "Blackout" performed live.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Mark Frost told me recently they are hoping to release it this year.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Joqu

Post by Joqu »

Oh that's great news, I hope it finally happens. My collection won't feel complete without this stuff.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Jerry Horne wrote:Mark Frost told me recently they are hoping to release it this year.
Maybe as a part of the criterion release?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

As of the David Bushman interviews (2/2018-10/2019), Mark still says they are trying to get OtA released on DVD. Interesting to note that Mark says he wasn’t particularly involved with the show after the pilot, other than the episodes he wrote. and he believes Bob Engels acted as showrunner. He also says that during the writing of the pilot, he expected it to be more deadpan and absurd, and he was surprised by how broad Lynch took it in terms of tone.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Hotel Room and On The Air were both shot on 35mm far as I know, they should be rescanned 2K or 4K and put out on Blu Ray. f DVD.

I loved both of them, I never got why they were so reviled.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I have no hope for a release. Perhaps a digital only release but doubt it will get the treatment it deserves.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ickles wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:14 pm I'm assuming y'all aren't counting the Revok releases?

https://revok.com/products/on-the-air-dvds
https://revok.com/collections/directors ... l-room-dvd
Are these in any way official or legal out of curiosity?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Jonah wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:41 pm
Ickles wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:14 pm I'm assuming y'all aren't counting the Revok releases?

I don't believe it's official at all, no. Not sure about the legality of it. Don't know much about Revok or their company but I was passed along those links by a buddy who snatched them up out of desperation. He said they look/sound ok but I haven't pulled the trigger on them myself.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ickles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:51 pm
Jonah wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:41 pm

I don't believe it's official at all, no. Not sure about the legality of it. Don't know much about Revok or their company but I was passed along those links by a buddy who snatched them up out of desperation. He said they look/sound ok but I haven't pulled the trigger on them myself.
Do you know if they’re pulled from the VHS, or some other source? I copied my VHS tapes of these onto DVD awhile back. They of course don’t look super. Would love a better looking copy.