Episode 2

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

molokidan

Re: RE: Episode 2

Post by molokidan »

anewberry wrote:I've always wondered who was hiding behind Leo during the drug money transaction between he and Mike/Bobby. You know, the guy hiding behind the tree..Anyways, who do you guys think it is?
It has to be Bernard Renault. Otherwise, it's just a plot hole.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Re: Episode 2

Post by Rainwater »

Not all that's left unexplained is a plot hole. That's not what it means.
I'll see you in the trees
anewberry

Re: RE: Episode 2

Post by anewberry »

molokidan wrote:
anewberry wrote:I've always wondered who was hiding behind Leo during the drug money transaction between he and Mike/Bobby. You know, the guy hiding behind the tree..Anyways, who do you guys think it is?
It has to be Bernard Renault. Otherwise, it's just a plot hole.
Right, Bernard would've made sense yet in episode 7 (season 1 finale), the man who attacks Dr. Jacoby (whom we know is Leland Palmer since, I think, it was Mark Frost who once insinuated it) is dressed the same as the one lurking behind Leo... And, at the end of episode 6, the viewer adopt's Dr. Jacoby's attacker's POV which, coincidentally takes place hiding behind a tree exactly like in the Leo scene. So, is it possible Leland Palmer was hiding behind Leo during the transaction or, like you said Molokidan, it's a plot hole?
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Ok I sometimes get mixed up with the chronology events, but is the man in episode 2 possibly Jacoby ??
I recall that early in Season 2, Jacoby tells Cooper that he followed a man in a red corvette based on the tape Laura sent - could he be referring to this scene in episode 2 ?
It was kind of ambiguous as to whether or not Leo knew there was someone behind him. From Leo's attitude, it seemed like he thought Bobby & Mike were trying to distract him so they could get away.
I'm probably over-thinking!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

At the time of watching, I assumed the figure behind Leo was the same 'man' who beat up Jacoby and shot Cooper. Or maybe it was the Stig! ;)

Sometimes I'm happy not to know.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

BOB1 wrote: I'll say more: in the Euro ending it was CRAP. It was stupid. The one single worst thing Lynch has ever put his hand on. I don't know why I feel so strongly about it, nevermind - the point is that surprisingly the same material is integrated really well into the episode. What was literal and pointless here turned into "a glimpse into an unknowable world" that really drops your jaw (and it does matter a lot that there is a scene before where Cooper so amazingly shows how much the world of dreams reveals to him!).
Yep. If they'd never made the TV show and just released the movie version, I'd have put my foot through the TV in frustration at the end. Not only is the European ending awful, but it needed many earlier parts of the episode to be re-edited. In a complete film version, the sequence with Donna and James in the woods is pointless, for example, as is the public meeting and Cooper's (typical TV pilot) line about likely being 'here for some time.' I dislike the European-funded ending of Mulholland Dr slightly more than the Twin Peaks one because at least the material from the Euro-Twin Peaks was effectively cannibalised, where the Mulholland Dr ending feels like TP season two's oft-criticised weirdness-for-weirdness'-sake moments.

Actually, writing this makes me realise that the last 'proper' movie Lynch made 100 per cent for release as a movie was The Straight Story. Mulholland Dr was a sort of 'fix-up' movie in the same way a writer might cannibalise a bunch of earlier stories and rework them into a novel. Raymond Chandler adapted John Dalmas stories into Marlowe tales, for example, and William Peter Blatty turned the short comic novel Twinkle Twinkle Killer Kane into the more complex novel and film The Ninth Configuration. Inland Empire, it seems to me, was a sort of artistic 'doodle pad' with lots of ideas thrown together with a bunch previously released content and wrapped in a framing narrative. Where did 18 years go?!
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

I just watched this episode again last night. Until now I had never really gotten too much into the show other than the fact that I had watched the series twice. I never researched theories, etc...but what I noticed last night was, there is so...much...red in this episode. I think all these are from episode 2; either 2, or 3, I watched both last night. And these are only the ones that jumped out at me after a search.

David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

It looks like those stills are from a combination of Episodes 1, 2, and 3 (2 being the dream episode, and 3 the funeral one).

Nevertheless, I definitely agree the use of red (and just warm, super-saturated oranges/browns and similar colors in general) is VERY pronounced, throughout the full two seasons but especially it seems in Season 1. Anybody notice this? Season 2 seems to be a little less saturated, not quite so red-crazy. But the look of Episode 2, a scene like Audrey dancing in the RR, is just so beautifully warm because of the color correction/wardrobe/set design.
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

David Locke wrote:It looks like those stills are from a combination of Episodes 1, 2, and 3 (2 being the dream episode, and 3 the funeral one).

Nevertheless, I definitely agree the use of red (and just warm, super-saturated oranges/browns and similar colors in general) is VERY pronounced, throughout the full two seasons but especially it seems in Season 1. Anybody notice this? Season 2 seems to be a little less saturated, not quite so red-crazy. But the look of Episode 2, a scene like Audrey dancing in the RR, is just so beautifully warm because of the color correction/wardrobe/set design.
Yeah I knew the funeral for sure was later than episode 2 (sorry, I get the numbering off sometimes because some start at episode 00). The casket was actually much more red than the picture makes it seem.

I think part of it is completely intentional and part of it is just the "wood/lodge" vibe that is pervasive. There are many other examples that I didn't find pictures of (not necessarily in episode 2): the RR sign, the booths in the RR, the design on the bathroom (by the way, you ever seen a bathroom with this many stalls? LOL):

Anyway, I'm going back through the series again, trying to watch 1 per night getting ready for the new season. :D It's amazing how calming, yet anxious, the show can make me feel, even the 3rd time around.
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

The first time I watched TP this was the one that really dragged me in the TP universe. It has a lot of great moments. The reunion of Ben and Jerry and the weird underbelly that is One Eyed Jack's, Audrey's dance, Leo's mayhem, the Tibetan deduction method and of course our first time in the Black Lodge, indeed seemingly more upbeat and less threatening than one would assume. It is however really iconic, especially due to the enigmatic LMFAP.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Is there any chance that MIKE's "I too have been touched by the devilish one" was supposed to foreshadow Cooper's fate?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Finished a rewatch of Episode 2. Best episode of the first season, after the Pilot. While I may not be completely in love with the new series, all my favourite episodes of the original show are the Lynch directed ones. This is great from beginning to end.

Nothing really to add to comments already written here, except:

Highlights of course are the Tibet/rock scene.

The dream sequence and our first glimpse of the red room.

Another thing I noticed - and I'm not sure if this has been commented on:

The chair Cooper is sitting in in the red room has a leaf pattern. It is very like the one we see him in at the beginning of the new series, if not identical. This can't be a coincidence. And I wonder what this means. Also, I think this is the only time we saw this chair in the original series - in all subsequent red room scenes, Cooper is sitting in a plain chair, isn't he? Interesting.

Episode 2 is definitely the best episode of the first season in my opinion.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

it is certainly a bit odd rewatching Season 1 again after becoming very familiar with The Return and knowing what will happen down the line for Cooper and many of his friends. for example, it's weird to finally have a person to connect every mention of "Diane" in the series. she and Coopr eally seem to have a sweet relationship though, i really like that. Another instance is
Spoiler:
when Cooper asks Diane to check out living arrangements in or around Twin Peaks for him as he is considering moving there on a more permanent basis. if he only knew...

am i totally hearing things or does David Lynch have a voice cameo in this episode? i have strangely never noticed it Before but when we see the light being turned off at Big Ed's you hear one of the workers yell out "GOOD NIGHT ED!!". this sounds very much like Lynch. i don't know why but there's several Little things like that which i am only noticing for the first time now (like Bobby playing with fire Before the funeral, or Bobby's "DICK" shirt). i think this is only the second time i see it in Blu Ray quality though (man does it look excellent).
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Jonah wrote:Finished a rewatch of Episode 2. Best episode of the first season, after the Pilot.
I always liked Episode 2 (or 1, if we're gonna refer to the pilot as episode 0) better than the pilot. Cooper's personality doesn't fully shine through until this episode, he's a bit more of a hardass in the pilot... not quite the sweetheart we all know and love just yet.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Maybe someone has brought this up before -- but it's fascinating to look at the scene where Leland dances with and breaks Laura's framed photograph, even more so after watching Sarah smashing a similar photograph in S3 ep. 17.

If Leland shattered the photograph by accident, and cried due to his guilt, what does Sarah intentionally carrying out the same action say about her character? I initially viewed a lot of Sarah's scenes in S3 as having this undercurrent of deeply repressed guilt, guilt over not acknowledging and stopping Leland's abuse of their daughter. But watching the Leland scene in this episode, with his expression of guilt, makes me think there is a different (or more complex) emotional or psychological process happening with Sarah, Black Lodge spirits notwithstanding.

It seems like Leland intentionally murdered and abused Laura, so he cried tears of guilt. But Sarah, who, if she knew about it and did nothing, was complicit, expresses a blistering rage towards her daughter's image.

Has anyone else thought about the similarities/differences between the two Laura photo smashing scenes?