Episode 2

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

AXX°N N.

Re: Episode 2

Postby AXX°N N. » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:57 pm

That's a really interesting parallel! The thing with the differences between them is, largely, encoded in real world norms. The crime of the active perpetrator is much more clearly defined in terms of how one should feel towards the perpetrator, and as perpetrator how one should feel toward their own actions. Much less so in the case of the enabler, or the person who could have but did not do anything. In a way, Sarah is a victim herself--but that doesn't completely exonerate her and yet, to say that feels somewhat cruel. What can one expect of someone in that situation? It's like totally blaming the children born of a cult, as if they really had freedom -- which 'humanitarian' excuse is, at the same time, itself rather like tossing them aside as damaged goods. I think when Sarah screams, it's out of frustration. She doesn't know how to pin blame on herself either, so all that's left is to split into two, simultaneously aggressor and victim. That's what I think is going on in the scene with the Turkey Jerky--she has a part of her that is autonomous at the same time that she's losing control, and she has a part of her that is both self-abuser and self-absolver, at least to the point of removing herself from the embarrassing situation. She's actively attacking herself, but without the benefit of clearly, overtly and visually being shown and said to be possessed by anything tangible.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Hester Prynne

Postby Hester Prynne » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:36 am

Thanks for bringing up this analogy. I remember watching the end of 17 and remembering Leland shattering the picture as well. I can't help but think that was intentional by L&F and we were supposed to be reminded of that scene for some reason.

Doesn't Leland also smear blood on the picture? It reminds me a little bit of the Woodsmen smearing blood on Doppel Coop's face. Don't know if there's some spiritual significance to this.

The big difference with Sarah's scene is that Laura's picture is indestructible. The glass shatters, but no matter how many times she stabs it, the picture remains intact - maybe just a visual representation that Laura lives and never died. This scene happens after Coop goes back and alters time, so technically, Sarah would have never mourned the murder of her daughter because she never died, but did go missing.

I thought the noises Sarah makes off camera before she attacks the picture was one of the most freakish moments in the series. And who is attacking the picture? Is it Sarah, Judy, or a combination of both?

I posted this in the Season 3 random thread a while back, but the numbers on Carrie's house in reverse are the date of the first self contained Titanium plant. I know it seems far fetched, but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it means something being that Titanium is indestructible and is a poor conductor of electricity - the season ends with Carrie/Laura shutting down the electricity at the Palmer house.

Maybe Laura is the only one who can free Sarah from her pain.
Cappy

Postby Cappy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:39 am

Wow, those are really insightful responses about Sarah! After Season 3, is there any more fascinating Twin Peaks character? My initial impression of Sarah's scene in ep 17 was something like this:

Sarah suffers from PTSD, a response to her own denials about Leland's abuse of Laura, her pain at Laura's death, and her shame after Leland being revealed as Laura's killer, as she can't go anywhere in town without feeling everyone around her thinks she is either stupid for not knowing what was going on, or complicit for letting it happen.

She's been feeling all of this hurt for 25 years, so long that these negative emotions are the only thing she understands anymore. And when Cooper tries to take that pain away by saving Laura in the past, Sarah fights back against it, trying to save the only thing that's real to her at this point: her own pain. It's like when you have a friend who is in a destructive relationship with someone with is not good for them. If you try to talk to them and tell them their partner is trouble, they might lash out at you for helping them, and cling even tighter to their partner, no matter how awful that person might be.

When Cooper saved Laura and rescues Sarah from her pain, Sarah pushes back and clings even tighter to that hurt, violently attacking Laura's image, committing a symbolic murder of her daughter in a sense.

Of course, there is also the Spirit World aspect to all this, as Sarah is possessed by the moth frog/Jumping Man/Judy/The Experiment/?

And there's that really interesting passage in Laura's Secret Diary, I don't remember the specific line, by Laura writes about feeling like her mother is jealous of her somehow. I don't think that is a topic the show or FWWM ever really touches, but it's interesting to ponder Sarah envying or resenting her daughter based on what we've seen depicted onscreen.

Return to “Season 1 (1990)”