Episode 27

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Aerozhul

Re: Episode 27

Postby Aerozhul » Mon May 08, 2017 3:28 pm

TwinPeaksFanatic wrote:Next question I have is, why is everyone's hand shaking?

Pretty sure it has something to do with BOB's hand emerging from Glastonbury Grove at the very end. Like others have said, perhaps BOB is "trying on" new hosts like the rest of us may try on gloves....
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri May 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Not much to say about this one that hasn't already been said. It easily stands out as the highlight in the Episode 17-28 stretch of the show (with the only possible competition being 25 -- but for me, aside from the wonderful Diner sequence, 25 as a whole isn't nearly as engaging as this one). And, while the script does get some good narrative momentum going (dugpas!), the change comes down largely to the way Gyllenhaal elevates and riffs on the material. I think what he does here is what Lynch hoped more of the directors would do: use the script as a blueprint, and go to town, creating a mood.

Something I haven't seen mentioned in this thread: is it common knowledge that when Garland starts to fade in the interrogation, he's (sort of) reverse-saying "That gum you like is coming back in style"? (Yes, Peyton & Engels got the quote wrong....sigh.) The script spells it out....but, curiously, he's saying the words in forwards order while pronouncing each word backwards! So his proclamation, when played in reverse, would actually be "Style in back coming is like you gum that"! If you know what he's saying, you can partially make it out in the episode...I hear, "Taht mug uoy (garbled/unintelligible) gnimoc! ni (gasping, trails off)."

Oh, and also, Ben's mustache in those photos deserves a mention.
MoondogJR

Postby MoondogJR » Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 am

Yesterday I made it up to this episode in my rewatch.

I started this tread a while ago and many tings have been discussed since. Probably also my remark below, but I'm too lazy to look it up :) :

The shift of tone in this episode is remarkable. From this point on, I really started enjoying TP again. It makes me wonder if Lynch from here on was somehow more involved again in the show.
Also: we all know that the red room was not supposed to show up in the final episode as it did (as not scripted). Yet it is briefly shown in this episode. The hand of Lynch?
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 am

Richard Wurman (who edited the Access Guide) was on a podcast where he said DKL took the photos of Tim & Tom, which were obviously on-set photos from this episode's shoot. Maybe he's mistaken, but that does create the intriguing possibility that DKL was on set for at least a bit of the shoot. And of course Gyllenhaal has said he got DKL's blessing for the "hand" thing.

The Red Room appearance is one of those great enduring behind-the-scenes mysteries. Can anyone say definitively if the reflection was projected on set or added as an optical later? One way or the other, Gyllenhaal shot it as a pan-down, indicating that SOMETHING was supposed to be reflected there.

Or, maybe DKL went back and shot it / reshot it during the production of Episode 29? There's an outtake on the Blu Ray showing Harry & Coop at the Miss Twin Peaks pageant with DKL's name on the clapboard and "2022" as the episode, indicating that DKL did some pick-ups for Episode 28 during production of the finale. He could certainly have redone the finale scene of 27 while he was out at Glastonbury Grove.
laughingpinecone

Postby laughingpinecone » Thu May 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Richard Wurman (who edited the Access Guide) was on a podcast where he said DKL took the photos of Tim & Tom, which were obviously on-set photos from this episode's shoot. Maybe he's mistaken, but that does create the intriguing possibility that DKL was on set for at least a bit of the shoot. And of course Gyllenhaal has said he got DKL's blessing for the "hand" thing.

The Red Room appearance is one of those great enduring behind-the-scenes mysteries. Can anyone say definitively if the reflection was projected on set or added as an optical later? One way or the other, Gyllenhaal shot it as a pan-down, indicating that SOMETHING was supposed to be reflected there.

Or, maybe DKL went back and shot it / reshot it during the production of Episode 29? There's an outtake on the Blu Ray showing Harry & Coop at the Miss Twin Peaks pageant with DKL's name on the clapboard and "2022" as the episode, indicating that DKL did some pick-ups for Episode 28 during production of the finale. He could certainly have redone the finale scene of 27 while he was out at Glastonbury Grove.

The two of them on the pageant's stage doesn't look like a pick-up... I once heard the story that there was a break early during the filming of ep29 because of a costuming mishap with the actors involved in the pageant, who had to go change. So I figured that that outtake could be Lynch, MacLachlan and Ontkean (neither of whom had to change into a pageant-specific costume, surely) goofing off to kill some time...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
MoondogJR

Postby MoondogJR » Fri May 19, 2017 12:53 am

laughingpinecone wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Richard Wurman (who edited the Access Guide) was on a podcast where he said DKL took the photos of Tim & Tom, which were obviously on-set photos from this episode's shoot. Maybe he's mistaken, but that does create the intriguing possibility that DKL was on set for at least a bit of the shoot. And of course Gyllenhaal has said he got DKL's blessing for the "hand" thing.

The two of them on the pageant's stage doesn't look like a pick-up... I once heard the story that there was a break early during the filming of ep29 because of a costuming mishap with the actors involved in the pageant, who had to go change. So I figured that that outtake could be Lynch, MacLachlan and Ontkean (neither of whom had to change into a pageant-specific costume, surely) goofing off to kill some time...

Thanks for the reply. Some interesting anecdotes!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Jonah

Postby Jonah » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:02 am

One of the best episodes of the last few - or at least one that has some of the best, most Lynch-like moments (until Episode 29).

For once, the German episode title here is very fitting. It does feel like this episode should be called "The Path to the Black Lodge", given that it's got so much foreshadowing and exposition and characterisation about the lodges here.

Episode 27 feels more like a penultimate episode than Episode 29. I suppose it is a penultimate episode, in that it's the last stand-alone episode aired before the finale, but what I mean is this episode would have made a stronger lead-in to 29 than Episode 28 (which I know was originally aired together with 29 as the finale).

It seems pretty clear to me that Lynch was involved in these last few episodes, ever since Episode 23, where he suggested Josie in the drawer pull (and likely suggested Bob, LMFAP, and Josie in the mirror too), then appeared on set in 25 and 26, and now some of the touches here - the shaking hands, the Josie mentions, and in particular the closing shots and the red room appearing in the puddle - all feel very much like Lynch too. (There's already been some interesting discussion on these elements earlier in the thread, so won't reiterate much of that here.)

Fairly strong opening scene here, at the gazebo, picking up from where the previous episode left off.

Interesting scene with Doc Hayward and Ben here, though I'm still not a big fan of this subplot. It feels sort of distacting and out-of-place in this final stretch. Ditto the Lucy pregnancy/who's-the-dad plot.

The John Justice Wheeler and Audrey plot continues - and wraps up. Not much to say about it, except I like the Pete/Audrey interactions the most in this subplot.

More Lana. More Ugh.

Cooper's scene with Shelly, Audrey, and Donna is interesting. Some people have said Sherilyn Fenn seems a bit distant towards Kyle in this scene. Not sure whether I agree or not. But I think Lara Flynn Boyle seems a bit cool/distant here too. But maybe they're just trying to play up the apparent seriousness of the Earle stuff. Difficult to know whether there's behind-the-scenes tension here or not.

Earle looks great here. The black clothes really suit him.

Previously I've said I liked the horse scene here where Earle and Leo attack Briggs in the woods. I'd said that, despite it being ridiculous, that I found it almost eerie. But this time around it didn't do much for me for some reason.

The Cooper/Annie interaction in the diner is a very strong scene. The slow, creepy pull out, the syrupy dripping coffee - all ominous foreshadowing on their relationship, the lodge, and Episode 29 in general. But again, this has all been discussed earlier in this thread.

The box mystery continues.

More on the lodge and a mention of dugpas via the Earle videotape. This is not never really expanded on again, I don't think?

Briggs in the cabin with Earle is great stuff. I love his line about love.

And another strong Cooper/Annie scene in the roadhouse. More ominous foreshadowing. The Giant appearing on the stage is great and a strong callback to Episode 14.

The shaking hands scenes almost certainly indicate Bob as they visually connect with the shot of Bob's hand appearing at the end, feeling his way into the world. It looks like he was trying to feel out hosts. Some have said it just indicates the closeness of the lodge. Could be that too.

Not sure what else to say here, as so much has already been written on this episode, but suffice to say, this episode has some really strong, powerful scenes and some very, strong, very Lynchian visuals. The closing shots of the town and Bob appearing in Glastonbury Grove, while the camera pans down to the pool and the shot of the red curtains and jazz music appears on the soundtrack feels like the perfect lead-in to 29, but first some silliness will have to be endured in Episode 28.

All in all, a great episode, one of the strongest and one with some very intriguing stuff, that bears a lot of rewatching and analysis!
Actually, now that some time has passed, I like "The full blossom of the evening".
Snailhead

Postby Snailhead » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Definitely the best episode since 16.
Welcome to Canada...

Return to “Season 2 (1990-1991)”