Episode 19

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Gabriel

Re: Episode 19

Postby Gabriel » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:38 am

Yeah, Denis/Denise is part of the self-conscious 'wackiness' that throws the show a bit out of kilter for a few episodes.
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:18 pm

So I guess we can assume that Col. Reilly is a co-conspirator to Cole/Dougie/Jeffries/Garland? Too bad he's not on "the list" in TSHoTP. (Also, why is his name consistently spelled "Riley" online when the script names him "Reilly"? Subtitles screwup?) Wish we'd seen this guy again; the actor is great and the character had promise. Wouldn't have minded seeing Tony Burton & Don Davis share a scene or two.

While we're largely drowning in "comedic" subplots at this point, Beymer and Duchovny give by far the finest comedic performances. I hesitate to call either performance "restrained" or even "grounded," but those two somehow feel far more believable than most of the other actors' off-the-wall shitcks, and they're much funnier for it. Also, and I'm pretty sure this is just me, for some reason (and I don't recall this being the case in prior viewings), I really like Ernie on this rewatch. With his bling rings, unceasing nervousness, and delightfully ambiguous '40s-movie-gangster-filtered through-a-Cockney-actor accent, he doesn't feel like he belongs in the world of TP, but somehow feels like less of a betrayal than several storylines involving Pilot characters like Andy & Lucy. There's something I find very amusing about the push-and-pull turmoil at the core of the character. On the one hand, you can tell that this guy has criminal genes in his DNA: there's no way he could ever hold down a legitimate job for more than a day. But on the other hand, I completely buy that he is terrified of being caught with his hand in the cookie jar again. It's a bit like Albert's "pacifist with anger management issues" contradiction: it's not nearly as clever or well-executed, but on this rewatch, I find the Ernie scenes an amusing break from the more baffling misfires.

Speaking of the misfires: The Nadine and Lana scenes in this one are absolutely awful (I'll even take Evelyn over that drek). The Lana stuff is pure character assassination for all the men involved (seeing Doc Hayward in this context makes me cringe in disgust). However, going against popular opinion, I don't particularly abhor the Little Nicky stuff. Is it bad? Absolutely -- but no worse than several other plotlines going on at this point. This subplot was always more confusing to me than embarrassing: obviously the producers were going for some sort of "comedic Omen" thing, but there's NO setup whatsoever. Nicky plays a couple of perfectly innocent pranks on the boys in the Double R in Episode 18, then Dick learns that Nicky's parents died tragically, and then Dick gets unnecessarily paranoid after his car jack falls -- and decides Nicky is THE DEVIL?! It's such a WTF moment, even on my fifth rewatch, that it almost works on some meta level. The other comedic bits are just poorly conceived and poorly executed, and therefore are just flat-out boring. But the Little Nicky stuff in this one is batshit perplexing.

I don't think I've seen this mentioned in the thread, but I love the Ed/Norma scene. While I generally tend to disfavor TP's more "soapy" aspects, these two consistently embody the romance of the series far better than Donna/James, Coop/Annie, or any other couple I can think of. The actors bring out a humanity and sadness in one another that they rarely display in their scenes apart. It shocked me to realize on this rewatch that, with one or two brief exceptions, we haven't really seen these two commiserating together since Episode 5!
OpeningCreditsBird

Postby OpeningCreditsBird » Wed May 03, 2017 7:00 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I don't think I've seen this mentioned in the thread, but I love the Ed/Norma scene. While I generally tend to disfavor TP's more "soapy" aspects, these two consistently embody the romance of the series far better than Donna/James, Coop/Annie, or any other couple I can think of. The actors bring out a humanity and sadness in one another that they rarely display in their scenes apart. It shocked me to realize on this rewatch that, with one or two brief exceptions, we haven't really seen these two commiserating together since Episode 5!

I totally agree. I loved that scene.
David Locke

Postby David Locke » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:02 am

The flute/Lana scene in the station has got to be the single slumpiest scene of the S2 slump. All in all, this is the most tonally "off" and weirdest episode of the series (though at least 2 or 3 are worse).

I like a lot of things in here though, like the Briggs return at the end (wonderful scene, really), Dead Dog, Audrey/Coop, Col. Riley, even Ernie. And it is a beautifully-lit ep from Deschanel and Byers, lots of flashy techniques being used but never in flashy Keaton territory.
Jonah

Postby Jonah » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:34 am

I managed to find a lot of scenes in Episode 17 & 18 that I enjoyed, but it's harder here, though there's still a few.

As someone else pointed out, this is "Twin Peaks - The Sitcom Episode".

There's very little good here.

The Nadine stuff is pretty bad, though I think I warm a little to the Nadine/Mike romance later on.

I'm disappointed in the character of Hawk here. He's made out to be really foolish and just completely out of character. I know this is all meant to be due to Lana's appeal, but still - it's disheartening.

Definitely the weakest episode to date.

I think the Evelyn/noir plot, as weak as it is, might have worked a little better on paper - i.e. not seemed so poor in script form. But I can't see any justification for the Lana stuff - its just awful.

The farm location is okay. The real estate agent feels like she's stepped in from "Northern Exposure".

The Dick/Little Nicky stuff is awful. I sort of like Dick, though, and I think Ian Buchanan does a good job portraying him - I just wish he was in a different show or kept to a minimum like he had been previously, as Lucy's suitor.

The mentions of the White Lodge and Briggs' disappearance continue, but any power they might have had are lost in the shuffle here I think.

I like the throwback to Audrey's spyhole and I think an attempt is being made here to make Audrey back into the character she was in the first series, but it just doesn't play well. Not to mention it really undercuts all her character development since her experience at One Eyed Jack's.

And of course Ben's Civil War stuff begins here.

Catherine and Pete remain very watchable, but the Josie as maid story isn't great.

All the Lana stuff in the Sheriff's Station is awful. Again, if this was a different show, maybe it would be more amusing, but it's just depressing here.

The highlights here are probably -

Cooper speaking into his recorder to Diane, while holding the Bookhouse Boy patch, and the rest of this scene - where Audrey appears and meets Denise Bryson, though I think the "they have female agents?" line doesn't fully work. I don't like seeing Audrey being naive. I know it's played for laughs - but still.

The brief Norma/Ed scene in the diner is good.

I like Denise too, despite the Ernie stuff.

And the final scene in the Brigg's living room is wonderful, Bobby relaying the story of the major's dream to Betty, then the return of Major Briggs. And the final shot of the lightning in the sky is great too.

All in all, a much weaker episode than the last few - but there's still a handful of scenes that are pretty good.
Actually, now that some time has passed, I like "The full blossom of the evening".
Firewalkwithme91

Postby Firewalkwithme91 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Upon rewatching this episode: Why doesn´t Andy cry when they find dead Milford? Instead of that he just wears a creepy sex-mask. :)
claaa7

Postby claaa7 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:11 pm

the entire episode is completely out of character for the series. it's like a bizarro world of TP.

i know some people dislike the direction Lynch and Frost took with The Return but compared to what happened in these episodes of Season 2 the way The Return was set up is way more in line with what Twin Peaks was and is to me. it must have been tortorous waiting week after week for the next episode to be met with this type of BS.. all of the important storylines are pushed way to the back while some truly god awful stories are introduced. i can't stand the Civil War stuff with Ben, the Nadine strongman stuff makes me cringe, Little Nicky is unfathomable, i don't even want to comment on Lana Milford's story... compared to all of that ugly stuff i never got why the James/Evelyn subplot keeps being singled out as the worst. it's really cheesy and overacted, but at least it had some good music and occassional interesting visuals.
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:51 am

claaa7 wrote: compared to all of that ugly stuff i never got why the James/Evelyn subplot keeps being singled out as the worst. it's really cheesy and overacted, but at least it had some good music and occassional interesting visuals.

I'm guessing it's because it's the one storyline that feels like conventional television. The Lana/Nadine/Nicky stuff is SO bafflingly misguided that you can't help but be fascinated by what possessed the writers who crafted the first season to go these directions. The Evelyn material is just flat and boring.

Return to “Season 2 (1990-1991)”