Episode 20

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Episode 20

Post by Audrey Horne »

Here's a full list of the filming breakdown for 2020. It's a nice example of seeing how television divides up the action throughout the week, especially on an ensemble show.
peak 20201.JPG
peak 20201.JPG (115.8 KiB) Viewed 27181 times
peaks 20202.JPG
peaks 20202.JPG (121.59 KiB) Viewed 27181 times
peaks20203.JPG
peaks20203.JPG (47.8 KiB) Viewed 27181 times
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Episode 20

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Somehow I completely forgot that Harley Peyton wrote this episode by himself! I thought his last solo script was episode 9. I'm not sure why, but I find this very interesting. I also wonder why Peyton tackled it alone whereas he usually co-wrote with Engels from ep. 13 on.

That also makes this the last Twin Peaks episode to be written by one of the big 4 alone (Lynch/Frost/Peyton/Engels).
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Twin Peaks Out of Order #24: Episode 20

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Re-watching Twin Peaks from my least favorite to favorite episode...

Previously: Episode 23 (http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=42562#p42562)

I can say with confidence that episode 23 is a better than 20. But - going into this rewatch, anyway (I may feel differently afterwards) - I decided that 20 deserved to be near the top of mid-season two as far as subjective favorite. Now, that's obviously a relative statement. In many ways this is a pretty crummy episode and by about two-thirds of the way in, I was getting restless. Evelyn popping champagne with James before making out with Malcolm (there is a LOT of the Marsh clan in this episode), Ernie's weird antsiness (which never comes off as funny as it's supposed to), Andy's and Dick's "undercover" investigation into Little Nicky's orphanage (stupidly charming to me on recent rewatches but just lame this time)...all quintessential midseason muck. Whatever doubts I had about its placement, 20 floated up near the best of the worst on the strength of two sequences: the trippy opening with Maj. Briggs and the climactic standoff at Dead Dog Farm. I've become rather fond of Dead Dog Farm over time. The decrepit decor and even the name feel quintessentially Lynchian, and I like its dystopian vibe plunked down in the midst of the bucolic small town. I've also noticed similarities between it and the room above the convenience store in Fire Walk With Me, but we'll save that discussion for another time. As the blonde mounty himself observes, Jean's monologue doesn’t really make much sense (it's about on par with Josie shooting Cooper "because you came here"). But there is a wrongheaded intuitive logic to Jean’s superstitious blame-Cooper paranoia; it’s the sort of emotionally-driven rationale that people generally come up with when they are looking for a convenient scapegoat. Coop himself seems slightly swayed by the force of Jean's presentation; this is key season two/fallen Cooper material here, paving the way to the series climax. Similarly, that bravura opening (a bit cheesy but fun in its video-game graphics) nicely lays the groundwork for the Twin Peaks mythology. I'd argue that, along with Hawk's speech in episode 18, this is the motherlode of lore for the mid-season. And it's presented in a much more visually compelling way than its entirely verbal predecessor. That fiery tattoo symbol spinning through space; the major seated on his jungle throne (love the distorted growls on the soundtrack, which can be heard subtly at the episode’s end too); the giant owl flashing across the screen; the artfully stated "skies above and earth below" pivoting from UFOs back to season 1's "darkness in the woods”; Briggs' perplexing delivery of "Is this for the soul? My soul?" as he taps the wooden table (a gesture that makes sense only in light of Josie’s fate); and finally the water dripping from the ceiling sprinkler, linking Leland's death to whatever is haunting Maj. Briggs and threatening Cooper. Much of this is down to Todd Holland's flamboyant direction - the young director certainly had a way with flashy cold opens (he also conceived that traveling shot through the ceiling hole in episode 11). But we also have to tip our hat to Harley Peyton, who receives the episode's sole writing credit. This is the last time in Twin Peaks history, including the upcoming run, that any of the show's four core talents (Lynch, Frost, Peyton, and Bob Engels) would pen an entire episode alone.

Next: Episode 18 (http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=42872#p42872)
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Not out of the woods yet, but a big step up from the previous episode. This episode is essentially Dead Dog Farm vs. Everything Else, with the former being a breath of fresh air and the latter being the usual mid-S2 annoyances. That climactic sequence really is quite good actually -- the most exciting stuff since Leland's death. I also love the way Holland bathes the interior in shadow as Jean and Coop converse. It's a great location which could have been milked a little more. The opening with Briggs is pretty cool, too. And the ending with Shelly and Earle's victim is genuinely creepy. Good stuff, surprisingly. You know what, this episode isn't so bad after all -- gotta be easily the best of the 17-22 stretch (I'll soon find out if 23 is as much of a step up on this re-watch as it's often touted as).
TwinPeaksFanatic
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinPeaksFanatic »

Overall, this episode is a good one. I think the entertainment value brought from the Dead Dog Farm scenes, every Denise moment, as well as Shelly and Bobby's troubles, are all very enjoyable. The Major Briggs elements of episode 20 are very intriguing to me as well. I find his plot fascinating at this point in the series. I wrote a recap for this episode here ---> http://twinpeaksfanatic.blogspot.com/20 ... de-20.html :)
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Dead Dog Farm was the sort of police material the show needed to concentrate on more. Still unconvinced by the climax of the siege; would Jean Renault really be suckered by a 6'4" bloke in drag? That's the thing with Duchovny: he ain't short and unnoticeable!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Overall this one is a breath of fresh air for me after 19 -- largely due to the Dead Dog stuff, but also because I tend to be more amused by Ben's moronic subplot than most of the other "comedic" shenanigans, and this episode is heavy on him. Beymer's energy and Holland's use of the set make those scenes more amusing than they have any right to be. (Although the Catherine reconciliation scene is completely idiotic.) A bad episode, but it rises above the rock-bottom of the last couple.

Holland also seemingly added some nice unscripted touches to the creepy "Leo awakens" sequence, namely the weird clown toy and Leo wearing a party hat and smearing cake on his face. Also, Holland transported the trippy Briggs sequence from the scripted armchair in the woods to the weird jungle throne seen onscreen, and added Denise's thigh holster to the mix (in the script, the gun is on her tray).

On the other hand, major points off for the way Holland executes (pun not intended) Coop shooting Jean. In the script, Jean draws his gun and Coop shoots in self defense. The way Holland shoots and edits it, Coop kills him in cold blood -- in fact, there's a quick shot of Jean holding the food tray and looking like a deer in headlights just before Coop shoots, as if to drive home the point that he's utterly defenseless.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
On the other hand, major points off for the way Holland executes (pun not intended) Coop shooting Jean. In the script, Jean draws his gun and Coop shoots in self defense. The way Holland shoots and edits it, Coop kills him in cold blood -- in fact, there's a quick shot of Jean holding the food tray and looking like a deer in headlights just before Coop shoots, as if to drive home the point that he's utterly defenseless.
I don't see it that way: Coop had to shoot immediately, 'cause Renault was going for his gun the very moment he spotted Denise sporting a hidden gun strapped to her thigh, so it was kill or be killed for Coop - whoever will be quicker.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agent Earle wrote:Renault was going for his gun the very moment he spotted Denise sporting a hidden gun strapped to her thigh
Where are you seeing that? It's not in the cut of the episode on my Blu Ray. This is the last shot we see of Jean immediately before Coop pulls the trigger. He's holding the dinner tray, seemingly with both hands, and looks completely stunned -- decidedly not like someone who's about to reach for his own weapon.
Attachments
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG (48.05 KiB) Viewed 24881 times
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ok. If you freeze-frame the shot of Jean immediately after Coop shoots him, it does look like his hand is in his jacket -- presumably reaching for a gun -- as he tumbles backwards. But there is zero evidence of this in the edit before Coop shoots him. And even the shot afterward is so blink-and-you'll-miss-it that I can barely see it in real-time, even now knowing that it's there.

I stand by my original statement: Holland and the editor dropped the ball big-time when they put that sequence together. It puts Coop in a really crummy light, even if they did provide just enough for fastidious freeze-framers to exonerate him. :wink: I guess TP has its reverse-"Han Shot First" moment. "Jean Drew First"?
OpeningCreditsBird

Post by OpeningCreditsBird »

That's how I see it too, Renault was completely taken by surprise. I love how he died tried to reach for his gun as he was dying. I felt that his "you brought the evil" speech to Cooper sounds like it was dialogue that belonged to someone else. It would have made much more sense and been far stronger coming from any actual resident of Twin Peaks than him. It's still strong, but mainly because Parks and MacLachlan are so good.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

This episode is an improvement over Episode 19.

There's so much going on here it's almost hard to keep track of all the storylines! At least there's no Lana, though unfortunately there's a lot of Evelyn, and some more backstory on Little Nicky too.

The opening scene (special effects aside) is sort of cool, and Briggs in the Sheriff's Station is an interesting scene, especially the line "Is my soul meant for this?" (while stroking the wooden table), which will foreshadow Josie being trapped in the wooden doorknob, the mentions of Ghostwood, and an overall arc of spirits in wood that was, alas, never fully developed. Another mention of the White Lodge also.

Were they trying to imply or misdirect the viewer that the Major might have been possessed by Bob, what with the talk of the giant owl he saw and the close up of the dripping water from the ceiling sprinkler (from the night Bob left Leland) when the photo of the marks on his neck is shown?

The Andy/Dick/Little Nicky stuff - ugh. Vaguely amusing in a sitcomy way, I suppose, but mostly awful.

The Mike/Nadine scene - vaguely amusing, but not great. Ditto the Big Ed/Hank/Nadine scene.

Is this the first time "Invitation to Love" is heard since Season 1?

I like some of the Ed/Norma stuff in this episode. And I do sort of like Jame's speech to Evelyn too (about Laura and Maddy), despite not liking the rest of this story.

The Ben/Catherine scene is okay too.

I like Harry deputising Cooper.

And it's cool to see Denise as Dennis.

The showdown at the farm is pretty good. Renault's speech to Cooper is....interesting. I'd been wondering why he blamed Cooper for his brothers dying. This explanation seems a little strained though.

The next-to-final scene with Shelley and Leo is great. Very creepy in a horror movie way.

And the scene in the Sheriff's Station is suitably creepy and horror-movie like too. Great to see the Earle plot beginning to advance here.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

What is the exterior location used in this episode when Harry is seen entering to talk to Josie?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:What is the exterior location used in this episode when Harry is seen entering to talk to Josie?
Isn’t it the Kiana Lodge? The same location that is always used for the Blue Pine Lodge exteriors.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Assuming that the opening sequence is our first brief glimpse of the White Lodge, the stars/outer space motif fits with Part 3. Interesting to see fire, which is typically imagery associated with the Black Lodge spirits. And of course the “fallout” shelter symbol on Briggs takes on new meaning in light of Part 8 and Judy/the Black Lodge spirits’ relationship to radioactive/nuclear energy.

It’s too bad they couldn’t remaster that shot of Briggs on the jungle throne due to all the effects and fades in that sequence, but the fuzzy VHS quality and blown-out colors give it an otherworldly vibe that I sorta like.

Interesting to watch Cooper’s body language as Briggs talks about Blue Book, now knowing that Cooper is part of Blue Rose (and seemingly hiding this fact from Harry and Briggs due to the highly classified nature of the work, where even many in the FBI don’t know about it). When Briggs says Blue Book was officially disbanded in 1969, Cooper looks down at the table, almost like a guilty party might unconsciously look down when the conversation turns toward an uncomfortable subject. When Briggs says he is studying the woods around Twin Peaks, Cooper turns to Harry—seemingly in surprise, but perhaps also to gauge Harry’s reaction. Certainly, Cooper has made no secret of his belief in the supernatural, but has not disclosed the fact that part of his official duty is investigating it. It’s also unclear at this point how much Cooper/Blue Rose know. They know about tulpas, Gordon and Jeffries know at least a little about Judy (although Cooper may not at this point, beyond hearing Jeffries say the name...it’s unclear what Gordon shared with Cooper about Jeffries’s investigation and when). Bob and the Lodges appear to be entirely new information to Cooper after arriving in town. Presumably at some point after this is when Cooper reveals his participation in Blue Rose to Garland, and the two have a talk with Gordon about Jowday.

Briggs expresses a fear for the fate of his soul. He seems to be afraid of becoming trapped in the wooden tabletop (a combination of Josie’s ultimate fate and the formica tabletop?), although his soul’s ultimate fate is something different, albeit seemingly not anymore pleasant.

James and Evelyn really have zero chemistry. They’re clearly aiming for “smoldering,” but what comes across onscreen is the two-day-old remnants of Major Briggs’s campfire. It would have been interesting to see Lynch or even Glatter direct a scene in that storyline, as they often got the most interesting performances even from the less interesting actors/pairings. I wonder if even they could have injected any life into that relationship.

As a Simpsons fan, I appreciate Bart’s little cameo in the orphanage waiting room, on the cover of the December 1990 issue of MAD Magazine (even though this is anachronistic to the March 1989 setting).

I do love how Holland shoots most of the Dead Dog sequence. I’ve complained before about the way he makes it look like Cooper kills Jean in cold blood, but everything before that is aces. He really gets the most out of the location, giving it a great epic scale in the beginning, and then a real sense of intimacy when Cooper and Jean have their talk in the house.

In light of Mr. C, it’s sort of funny that Earle’s first victim was a long-haired Cooper lookalike.

Dale’s Diet:
— Coffee in a plain yellow mug and a donut with chocolate frosting as Ernie makes the call in Harry’s office (Cooper seems rather disgusted when the first donut he picks up from the plate—also with chocolate frosting—has a bite taken from it, presumably by Ernie)
— Water in a paper cup from the water cooler while talking to Lucy (possibly a nod to the “water cooler phenomenon” of the first season that disappeared when the show was moved to Saturdays?)