Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Gabriel »

Metamorphia wrote:Wasn't strictly referring to you "cupcake"! I've seen it mentioned across the boards as early as from episodes 1 and 2, including comments on reddit!

But good for you.
Cheers kitty cat!

(Doing the Wally Brando 'thang!' The idea is that if I keep sayings things that are profoundly unfunny often enough, they'll become funny. The season three fans seem to think it's art if Lynch does that after all. :shock: )
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote: Let people feel how they want to feel. No one needs to play Mormon missionary.
That really goes for both "sides", you know - the True and the moaning one. And before you get overly defensive, I'm not addressing strictly - or even mainly - you. I'm just using your post as a nifty basis to make a point.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Twink Peaks wrote:It is not happening again :?
LOL! A good one.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:That really goes for both "sides", you know - the True and the moaning one. And before you get overly defensive, I'm not addressing strictly - or even mainly - you. I'm just using your post as a nifty basis to make a point.
I was addressing people who like the new show and telling them to lay off people who don't.

As I said before, for the rest of you I'll settle for not being equated with a braindead cultist, Nazi or sycophant in every third post anymore.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

boske wrote:I have seen episodes 1-5 thrice and episode 6 twice. I hope to see episodes 7 to 9, and will then reassess.

So many things to do not make sense. What is the real point of conversation with Denise and the phone conversation with Albert, mentioning drinking bourbon in female company? I fail to see a tangible meaning, how does it really serve the story? Are we back to `Cole kissing Shelly` type of scene here? Is that really art? What about the NYC investigation (Sam and Tracy murder)? Pay attention to Cole's lips when he initially sees the crime scene photo from the NYC building, just before he utters "what the hell", it is also a subtle sign. Cole is not what he seems either.
Neither are the owls!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:That really goes for both "sides", you know - the True and the moaning one. And before you get overly defensive, I'm not addressing strictly - or even mainly - you. I'm just using your post as a nifty basis to make a point.
I was addressing people who like the new show and telling them to lay off people who don't.

As I said before, for the rest of you I'll settle for not being equated with a braindead cultist, Nazi or sycophant in every third post anymore.
Okay, my mistake. TNX for clarification.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

sylvia_north wrote: None here either. Heard about this scene from those who watching the filming so I knew what was coming, but we're got mother of the year playing tag in an intersection, and that stupid floating soul effect.
The cartoon tires tracks over the kid's legs and back didn't help add to the drama of the scene either.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

boske wrote: What about the NYC investigation (Sam and Tracy murder)? Pay attention to Cole's lips when he initially sees the crime scene photo from the NYC building, just before he utters "what the hell", it is also a subtle sign. Cole is not what he seems either.
I took the bait and don't see anything unusual. :|
Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote: Let people feel how they want to feel. No one needs to play Mormon missionary.
That really goes for both "sides", you know - the True and the moaning one. And before you get overly defensive, I'm not addressing strictly - or even mainly - you. I'm just using your post as a nifty basis to make a point.
No one is trying to convert the folks who like/love it, either! That's why we're over here minding our business.
Last edited by sylvia_north on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

sylvia_north wrote:
boske wrote: What about the NYC investigation (Sam and Tracy murder)? Pay attention to Cole's lips when he initially sees the crime scene photo from the NYC building, just before he utters "what the hell", it is also a subtle sign. Cole is not what he seems either.
It is the tongue instinctively sticking out by the sight of all that gore for a very brief moment, before he composes himself.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

boske wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:
It is the tongue instinctively sticking out by the sight of all that gore for a very brief moment, before he composes himself.
People wet their lips before digging into something with focus. You've never seen that before?
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

sylvia_north wrote:
boske wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:
People wet their lips before digging into something with focus. You've never seen that before?
I am not quite sure that was the case here, but that may be just me. I do think his every move is intentional here though.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

boske wrote: I am not quite sure that was the case here, but that may be just me. I do think his every move is intentional here though.
I think it's called acting. You react before you say the line. What do you think it was, smacking his lips in devious glee over the gore he's about to see?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

sylvia_north wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
No one is trying to convert the folks who like/love it, either! That's why we're over here minding our business.
I was talking about overly heated arguments, sometimes taken to a personal level. And there's absolutely been some of that on both sides. People really need to lighten up.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

sylvia_north wrote:
boske wrote: I am not quite sure that was the case here, but that may be just me. I do think his every move is intentional here though.
I think it's called acting. You react before you say the line. What do you think it was, smacking his lips in devious glee over the gore he's about to see?
I don't know, we'll find out, there is 12 more hours of it coming our way. I do not see such acting in every scene, that's for sure.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Gabriel wrote:how dare some people say it's necessary to watch an episode more than once! I should be able to glean everything that's necessary on the first viewing; secondary viewings ought to be on a second pass of the whole series to allow me to pick up early details that tie in later on. If each episode has to be watched at the time of release more than once, the people making it aren't doing their job properly.
Totally!
I'm all for rewatching but as you said elsewhere: study is an option. If the first viewing is not satisfactory, I will not have any need or urge to rewatch. As simple as that. Why would I? because Lynch is a genius? C'mon. I've seen all Lynch films a couple of times, some of them many times. Not only Lynch: I do like to watch my favourite films many times and in fact I don't think any of my favourite top 10 films (or perhaps top 30 films) I liked the most on my first viewing. I appreciate repeated viewings a lot and I know how much you can owe to them. But in order to rewatch I MUST BE ENCOURAGED to rewatch! If the first viewing is discouraging, why would I bother?

Now, Jonah made a great job listing what he loved/liked/didn't like. I wanna do the same just a moment before I rewatch Part 6 (unless I fall asleep again after having too much gin&tonic ;))

What I loved so far:

- the Purple Room, all of it
- the scene when Doris shouts at Frank Truman for the first time
- the scene near the end of Part 5, with the band Trouble (?) and the bad smoking guy (listed as Richard Horne)
- bad Coop destroying the system with his phone call to not-Mr-Strawberry
- the Gordon/Albert conversation that something is definitely wrong about the imprisoned Cooper (the scene shot in blue)
- Dougie craving for coffee (wrote in underneath at first but that was really great!)
- Kyle's acting in most of the scenes

What I liked:

- the Shelly/James ending of Part 2
- Hawk/ Log Lady phone conversations
- agent Tammy's analasys of Cooper pictures and Cooper fingerprints
- Diane's introduction scene
- Wally!
- garmonbozia vomiting scenes
- hellloooooo!
- the introduction of Naomi Watts
- the exploding car sequence
- Dougie drawing steps and ladders in the case files

What I'd rather wasn't there:

- most of Parts 1 and 2 and 6...
- ... the New York glass box; in places intriguing but overall tedious and pointless
- many of the Red Room scenes which don't feel like proper Red Room scenes at all
- most of Mr C's scenes in the first episodes
- the Red/Richard "magic" scene, which lacked magic, at least on the first viewing (made me fall asleep)
- the hit and run accident scene with Carl
- the talk about Frank and Doris's son who commited suicide
- Bobby crying

What I hated:

- evolution of the Arm :x
- the Andy/Lucy foolishness

Enough. Let's go and see it again, yeah!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB