POLL-The Red Shoes (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

So why did the red shoes catch Cooper's attention?

Reminded him of Audrey.
40%
Reminded him of Diane.
3%
Reminded him of Janey-E.
No votes
Pretty legs.
3%
Just something in his field of vision.
13%
Shoes! He lost his in the socket!
23%
The color red.
17%

Total votes: 30
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

POLL-The Red Shoes (SPOILERS)

Post by Hockey Mask »

So why did the red shoes catch Cooper's attention?
Last edited by Hockey Mask on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Re: The Red Shoes (POLL-SPOILERS)

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Maybe an element of all the above, to a small extent, but I think mainly just something red in his field of vision. That it was those red shoes, I think Lynch probably has a thing for them. But the way I saw it, the main function of the shoes catching Cooper's eye was to divert his gaze from the flag towards the plug socket- this way is more convincing than him breaking that stare of his own volition...
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL-The Red Shoes (SPOILERS)

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

They reminded him of Audrey, because I think it was the combination of pumps and skirt that caught his attention, the style was similar to Audrey's. Diane was wearing trousers and flats. Janey-E was also wearing red flats a few times but Cooper never reacted to those even though they were more similar to Diane's than the pumps. We don't even know if Cooper has ever seen Diane with red shoes but he did see Audrey wearing red pumps.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

It'll probably be the explanation I like least -- stirring a vague recollection of Audrey.

I'd preferably want it to be comprehensible only within the whole sequence: flag -> walking across the room -> power socket, and I'd like it to mean something very abstract, a bundle of things that 'rhyme' conceptually but none of them exclusively. Territory, crossing borders, fire-walking, electricity. Where did I come from? How did I get here? Who am I really? Where is my community?

As others noted in the part 9 thread, when Bushnell tells Cooper they are going to work on getting some answers the following morning, Cooper replies 'answers' in a very uncharacteristic tone (for DougieCoop). It's as if he's agreeing -- he's perplexed and wants some answers of his own, but still lacks the lexicon to express this fully. He's starting to conceptualise himself somewhat, to form a degree of self-distance. He's 'growing up', but into what, he wonders. Why do certain visual cues and words make him ache for another life he can neither name nor remember?
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Novalis wrote:I'd preferably want it to be comprehensible only within the whole sequence: flag -> walking across the room -> power socket, and I'd like it to mean something very abstract, a bundle of things that 'rhyme' conceptually but none of them exclusively. Territory, crossing borders, fire-walking, electricity. Where did I come from? How did I get here? Who am I really? Where is my community?

As others noted in the part 9 thread, when Bushnell tells Cooper they are going to work on getting some answers the following morning, Cooper replies 'answers' in a very uncharacteristic tone (for DougieCoop). It's as if he's agreeing -- he's perplexed and wants some answers of his own, but still lacks the lexicon to express this fully. He's starting to conceptualise himself somewhat, to form a degree of self-distance. He's 'growing up', but into what, he wonders. Why do certain visual cues and words make him ache for another life he can neither name nor remember?
I'm completely on board with this. The sequence as sequence, in the context of Cooper beginning to rediscover himself as a human in the world, with predispositions and passions and experiences, is exactly what made it so moving for me. One of the highlights of the episode and of all the Dougie-Cooper scenes so far.

So I do hope it defies as pat an explanation as "it reminded him of these three specific things."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Ambiguous visual cue.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

You're missing the option: reminded him of his missing shoes from his voyage through the electrical sockets
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Audrey!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Re: The Red Shoes (POLL-SPOILERS)

Post by whoisalhedges »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:Maybe an element of all the above, to a small extent, but I think mainly just something red in his field of vision. That it was those red shoes, I think Lynch probably has a thing for them. But the way I saw it, the main function of the shoes catching Cooper's eye was to divert his gaze from the flag towards the plug socket- this way is more convincing than him breaking that stare of his own volition...
Bingo.

Red means a lot more in Twin Peaks than Audrey's shoes. Yeah, Audrey had red pumps - like the red curtains (in the Red Room), the red stoplight, there's a freakin' drug dealer *named* Red in the show now, the red blood in which BOB/Leland wrote "FIRE (hey, that's red too) WALK WITH ME" in the train car.... The color red, in and of itself, has meaning in Coop's world.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Possible. I'm just saying that sometimes I prefer it when things don't mean more... just mean what shows. And I do hope that these shoes reminded him of Audrey because that would be a feel of the good old Coop who is coming back in all aspects of his personality, the serious ones (case files et al.) and the mundane, every day pleasures that used to be so characteristic of him.

We're not actually going to find out about it anyway, what d'you think?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB