Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by N. Needleman »

I personally am not ruling out a Hawaii visit myself.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I have a new idea that involves Josie. I think it would be pretty unlikely if they actually went in this direction since Josie does not seem to be one anyone's mind in this new show.

Remember when Josie died her body was missing some of its weight? Maybe that weight is the thing that is missing that is related to Cooper. Josie shot Cooper. Cooper was there when Josie died.

Bob says "What happened to Josie?" This seems to imply that Bob knows what happened to Josie. My theory is that Josie is the monster from the glass box. The monster was faceless because Josie's face (her soul or identity?) was trapped in the wood at the Great Northern.
zmccain

Post by zmccain »

I posted this in another thread but feel like it better belongs here...

I got the idea today that the entity in the glass box in New York that killed the young couple is Laura Palmer.

After she whispers to Cooper she begins to scream and do this fluttery/shaky movement before she appears to be sucked up into the air. The entity in New York has a similar movement as it attacks the couple.

Later Cooper comes across Leland who tells him "Find Laura". As if she left.

The entity in the glass box appears to be female if you look closely.

This "twist" would make the famous murder victim now the killer. Perhaps she will go after BOB.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

zmccain wrote:I posted this in another thread but feel like it better belongs here...

I got the idea today that the entity in the glass box in New York that killed the young couple is Laura Palmer.

After she whispers to Cooper she begins to scream and do this fluttery/shaky movement before she appears to be sucked up into the air. The entity in New York has a similar movement as it attacks the couple.

This "twist" would make the famous murder victim now the killer. Perhaps she will go after BOB.
Looking for BOB? Heck of a way to start, by ripping the heads off of two (apparently) innocents.

I thought it was "mother." But in any case, we've gotten away from that box, what with Jacoby's shovels and all. It is time for the box to come back to the story. We'll see.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

I'm paraphrasing a bit here but I wonder what the trigger/key is for this whole project? Lynch implied he had an idea or notion for the return, some jumping off point that he could build upon. I wonder if it was a singular image or a concept - and if we've seen whatever that is yet.
Burns's Suite

Post by Burns's Suite »

[*]
douglasb wrote:I'm paraphrasing a bit here but I wonder what the trigger/key is for this whole project? Lynch implied he had an idea or notion for the return, some jumping off point that he could build upon. I wonder if it was a singular image or a concept - and if we've seen whatever that is yet.
I've got a feeling that the "jumping point" is supposed to be Cooper leaving the lodge and all the other events are supposed to foreground where all our characters (new and old) are at this point in time. Granted though with this being an edited down 18 hour film it's not working the same way a normal show's jumping point would seem to.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

My guess based on what we've seen is the "jumping point" is Coop as a middle-aged man re-entering the world as a blank slate and having to rediscover/reinvent himself. DKL said in EW that this is what the season is about (entering the world as an innocent and finding your likes and dislikes).

However, it's tough to even begin to understand what many of DKL's best films are about until you've seen the full thing. So I imagine my perspective/guess on this will be changing, possibly every week.
Mairzy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mairzy »

Burns's Suite wrote:[*]
douglasb wrote:I'm paraphrasing a bit here but I wonder what the trigger/key is for this whole project? Lynch implied he had an idea or notion for the return, some jumping off point that he could build upon. I wonder if it was a singular image or a concept - and if we've seen whatever that is yet.
I've got a feeling that the "jumping point" is supposed to be Cooper leaving the lodge and all the other events are supposed to foreground where all our characters (new and old) are at this point in time. Granted though with this being an edited down 18 hour film it's not working the same way a normal show's jumping point would seem to.
Wasn't the jumping point simply the 25 years later line delivered by Laura. Sure I read Frost/Lynch saying it was the catalyst for them to have dinner, and see if there were more stories in the TP universe.
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

wxray wrote:
zmccain wrote:I posted this in another thread but feel like it better belongs here...

Looking for BOB? Heck of a way to start, by ripping the heads off of two (apparently) innocents.

I thought it was "mother." But in any case, we've gotten away from that box, what with Jacoby's shovels and all. It is time for the box to come back to the story. We'll see.
It's way to soon to tell but still I fear we could never heard about that box again...
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Bookworm wrote: It's way to soon to tell but still I fear we could never heard about that box again...
Sadly, that's possible. It was just so in our face, I would hope we get a little bit more. But you may be right.

I'm thinking when we hear about the "coordinates" or the "billionaire," we'll get a tiny bit more. But who knows?

I
kuprin82

Post by kuprin82 »

My theory is that this is a scene from a future show!
Attachments
efe.jpg
efe.jpg (774.65 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
kuprin82

Post by kuprin82 »

And some other thoughts!
Attachments
Серебряный Мустанг.jpg
Серебряный Мустанг.jpg (616.84 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

Gabriel wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:As TAMARA said people have gotten physically ill after being near Bob Cooper, maybe that's how Sheriff Harry Truman is ill. Maybe he puked near Harry. Just a theory
Possibly. I wonder whether Coop returning might heal Harry. Harry's 24-hour vigil in proximity to the open lodges might also have diminished him in some way, even though he didn't walk in.

It's interesting that they're keeping Harry around on the end of a phone or whatever. They could have said he's dead or has moved away. Of course, we don't know very much about what happened after the final scene of The Missing Pieces. The characters don't show any great affection for Coop – they seem fairly indifferent. Admittedly it's been 25 years, but no one mentions Windom Earle or Glastonbury Grove or Owl's Cave or that Coop disappeared for 24 hours through a bunch of red curtains in Glastonbury Grove. Perhaps the Log Lady is telling the Sheriffs Dept that what they're missing is a memory...
What if what's missing is actually Annie? It would fit the story so far in the sense that they aren't going to find her (or whatever else) in Laura's file and her disappearance has inevitably to do with Cooper somehow. What we can deduce is that Annie knows there is an evil Coop and a good one and she might be the only one to do so who isn't an ally to Evil Coop. It would make sense for evil Coop/Bob to make her disappear.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I guess technically Laura (or her spirit) is missing now. She was sucked out of the/a Lodge, and Leland tasked Cooper with finding her. Maybe DroolCoop has to find Laura in order to somehow defeat DoppelCoop and become whole again.
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

Just a thought, but John Justice Wheelers partner was killed in Brazil, Agent Jeffries work maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk