Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
frankenhooker wrote:There's a region B release of The Third Man from Studio Canal thats still in print. It's a fantastic release, a 4k restoration.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Can a 4k be played on a regular Blu Ray? This is where I get confused .
It's just a 4k remaster, not an actual 4k UHD blu-ray. Those are two different things. A 4k disc needs a 4k player, but plenty of movies are mastered in 4k for regular blu-ray.

As far as Third Man goes, Criterion is the definitive blu-ray release. The Studio Canal is actually available in Region A from Lions Gate in the US. But the Studio Canal/Lions Gate uses an inferior source for the image compared to the Criterion, according to all the reviews I've seen.
TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

Received my copy and I'm finally relieved to have it. It goes so well with the original series Blu-ray next to each other on the shelf. Now THIS is the complete mystery.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BGate wrote:Frost makes a few brief (mostly silent) appearances in the Beymer docs and the Lauzirika one. I get the sense that most of his time on set was in Washington, and not so much in LA, the latter of which is where 90% of the BTS footage was taken.
Not unexpected, but super disappointing. Glad he at least gave a lot of interviews with TFD. Wish he and DKL had done talking head features for the DVD (surprised DKL didn’t, he usually does for his releases).
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Wish he and DKL had done talking head features for the DVD
Well, there was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpKhjc2p3_w
windh
Roadhouse Member

Post by windh »

Plowing through the extras like a mad cow. Just brilliant. Brilliant brilliant stuff.

Will re-watch the entire season after Christmas.
/windh
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Finished disc 2 and started disc 3. I’m going in linear OCD order, even if it means I’m excrutiatingly holding off on seeing the on-set footage. I may skip ahead to that eventually, but I’m enjoying sinking into this show in beautiful HD. I have a newfound respect for the show’s look. Even the sheriff’s station scenes, which I found rather flat when watching on a streaming platform, are gorgeously lit, the just-post-dawn tinge of the (still stupid) “bunnies” scene completely distinct from the late-night yellows when Bobby sees Laura’s photo.

I have to say, I enjoyed the Comic Con panel a lot more than I expected. I’d read that the questioners were really poorly screened, and that is true — one guy hadn’t ever seen TP and just wanted to talk about Dune, one woman seems mostly intent on making things awkward by shaming the actors who haven’t watched the show and confronting Kyle with the decades-old Audrey/Fenn controversy, and one guest is so “off” that I half-suspect he was a performance artist or a misguided plant intended to evoke a “Lynchian” moment. But Lindelof and the actors make the absolute most of what they’re given. It was great to hear the actors’ various stories of how they’d learned about the Return — even if I already knew the broader strokes, hearing them tell the stories in person was great and added some “local color” (that photo of Bobby and Laura on London Bridge NEEDS to be part of the Carrie Page reality in season 4). Everett comes across as such a genuine dude and I love listening to him (his story about DKL’s “harder edge” amid all the expected talk of the utopian atmosphere on set was refreshing, especially since it related to one of my favorite scenes from the original show). Don Murray comes across as a lovely human being, going out of his way to compliment Lillard when a fan (amusingly) brings up his Shaggy role. As a continuity/dating freak, I appreciated Lillard’s mention of the 9/29 controversy (and his self-effacing admission that he has terrible penmanship and can’t read it a year after the fact). Also great that Naomi gives a shoutout to Rabbits, even though (surprisingly) no one on the panel seems to get it! Sometimes I find Kimmy’s shtick a bit much, but her description of crawling under her bed and her “hot take” on Dougie were both hysterical, as was everything else she contributed to this panel. It WAS rather unfortunate that several actors on the panel hadn’t seen the show, but it’s tough to resist putting Naomi Watts and Tim Roth on your panel, and their contributions were still fun. I think this will serve as a great time capsule and I’m glad it’s there.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Finished disc 2 and started disc 3. I’m going in linear OCD order, even if it means I’m excrutiatingly holding off on seeing the on-set footage. I may skip ahead to that eventually, but I’m enjoying sinking into this show in beautiful HD. I have a newfound respect for the show’s look. Even the sheriff’s station scenes, which I found rather flat when watching on a streaming platform, are gorgeously lit, the just-post-dawn tinge of the (still stupid) “bunnies” scene completely distinct from the late-night yellows when Bobby sees Laura’s photo.

I have to say, I enjoyed the Comic Con panel a lot more than I expected. I’d read that the questioners were really poorly screened, and that is true — one guy hadn’t ever seen TP and just wanted to talk about Dune, one woman seems mostly intent on making things awkward by shaming the actors who haven’t watched the show and confronting Kyle with the decades-old Audrey/Fenn controversy, and one guest is so “off” that I half-suspect he was a performance artist or a misguided plant intended to evoke a “Lynchian” moment. But Lindelof and the actors make the absolute most of what they’re given. It was great to hear the actors’ various stories of how they’d learned about the Return — even if I already knew the broader strokes, hearing them tell the stories in person was great and added some “local color” (that photo of Bobby and Laura on London Bridge NEEDS to be part of the Carrie Page reality in season 4). Everett comes across as such a genuine dude and I love listening to him (his story about DKL’s “harder edge” amid all the expected talk of the utopian atmosphere on set was refreshing, especially since it related to one of my favorite scenes from the original show). Don Murray comes across as a lovely human being, going out of his way to compliment Lillard when a fan (amusingly) brings up his Shaggy role. As a continuity/dating freak, I appreciated Lillard’s mention of the 9/29 controversy (and his self-effacing admission that he has terrible penmanship and can’t read it a year after the fact). Also great that Naomi gives a shoutout to Rabbits, even though (surprisingly) no one on the panel seems to get it! Sometimes I find Kimmy’s shtick a bit much, but her description of crawling under her bed and her “hot take” on Dougie were both hysterical, as was everything else she contributed to this panel. It WAS rather unfortunate that several actors on the panel hadn’t seem the show, but it’s tough to resist putting Naomi Watts and Tim Roth on your panel, and their contributions were still fun. I think this will serve as a great time capsule and I’m glad it’s there.
Totally agree about the comic con panel! More importantly, I totally agree about the look and lighting of the Sheriff's Station, which I always thought looked like, well, "home." And most importantly, I disagree about the bunnies, which I always thought was mostly great...and it's probably the key to the whole thing, I mean, come on...probably. :wink:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:Totally agree about the comic con panel! More importantly, I totally agree about the look and lighting of the Sheriff's Station, which I always thought looked like, well, "home." And most importantly, I disagree about the bunnies, which I always thought was mostly great...and it's probably the key to the whole thing, I mean, come on...probably. :wink:
I think it’s just bad comedy. That being said, I was absolutely holding out hopes for a Rabbits crossover, knowing that Watts, Coffey and Del Rio were in the cast, and would have been thrilled if it HAD proven to be about the bunnies!
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

I started with the BTS stuff. The pieces with the narration are pretentious twaddle. I wish there was a way to just watch the actual BTS footage. The "art" pieces seem like they are trying too hard. The show is artistic enough!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

HagbardCeline wrote:I started with the BTS stuff. The pieces with the narration are pretentious twaddle. I wish there was a way to just watch the actual BTS footage. The "art" pieces seem like they are trying too hard. The show is artistic enough!
Eek, who narrates?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
LateReg wrote:Totally agree about the comic con panel! More importantly, I totally agree about the look and lighting of the Sheriff's Station, which I always thought looked like, well, "home." And most importantly, I disagree about the bunnies, which I always thought was mostly great...and it's probably the key to the whole thing, I mean, come on...probably. :wink:
I think it’s just bad comedy. That being said, I was absolutely holding out hopes for a Rabbits crossover, knowing that Watts, Coffey and Del Rio were in the cast, and would have been thrilled if it HAD proven to be about the bunnies!
I think the chocolate bunnies bit is hilarious! Watch it again and look at Andy's and Hawk's expressions throughout the scene (especially Andy's look when Lucy is describing the bubble of gas and Hawk when he asks Lucy if she ate the evidence).

And Andy saying, 'This is HERE...'
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mulberryspark

Post by Mulberryspark »

HagbardCeline wrote: The pieces with the narration are pretentious twaddle.
It almost felt like someone trying hard to be Werner Herzog and failing.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Just started the Bts was sad to find out all the titles were part of the 5 hours I thought they were all separate features but still amazed but agree the art pieces feel out of place and dudes voice is just annoying but worth it for what I've seen so far. Jerrys mandolin scene alone was worth the purchase hope to see Harry Dean perform also. So happy with this so far.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

frompureair wrote:Just started the Bts was sad to find out all the titles were part of the 5 hours I thought they were all separate features but still amazed but agree the art pieces feel out of place and dudes voice is just annoying but worth it for what I've seen so far. Jerrys mandolin scene alone was worth the purchase hope to see Harry Dean perform also. So happy with this so far.
That's the frustrating thing, the BTS stuff itself is incredible, and speaks for itself. We don't need a heavily accented voice talking about "The man with the gray elevated hair" and what-not. It just drags on.
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

just finished the extra's. Great insights and just that is a purchase worth it. One thing baffles me as long time DL fan who followed his carreer since BV.

DL seemed incredibly stressed making the series and even wonder he enjoyed it at all? Also the way he directed the actors contradicted the stories I heard from principal photography of his previous films. There the image painted was a very relaxed atmosphere where actors could provide their own thing and DL only gave them hints how they should play it. During season 3 DL's direction was waay more rigid, and dare I say even a hint of dictatioral where every scene the actor only moved or spoke what he wanted. Im guessing that was because of the time constraints, or like DL said during one of the making of's "no time to be dreamy".

Was he pressured to keep the shooting schedule tight, and by who? CBS?

one thing I miss as extra's is behind the scene's footage of post production, making of some of the special effects, and sound design, would love to see (and hear!) that,.