Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Post by mtwentz »

riesje wrote:just finished the extra's. Great insights and just that is a purchase worth it. One thing baffles me as long time DL fan who followed his carreer since BV.

DL seemed incredibly stressed making the series and even wonder he enjoyed it at all? Also the way he directed the actors contradicted the stories I heard from principal photography of his previous films. There the image painted was a very relaxed atmosphere where actors could provide their own thing and DL only gave them hints how they should play it. During season 3 DL's direction was waay more rigid, and dare I say even a hint of dictatioral where every scene the actor only moved or spoke what he wanted. Im guessing that was because of the time constraints, or like DL said during one of the making of's "no time to be dreamy".

Was he pressured to keep the shooting schedule tight, and by who? CBS?

one thing I miss as extra's is behind the scene's footage of post production, making of some of the special effects, and sound design, would love to see (and hear!) that,.
Time is money. There was a budget battle and Lynch probably got the bare minimum he was asking for in order to complete the project, not a penny more.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

mtwentz wrote:
riesje wrote:just finished the extra's. Great insights and just that is a purchase worth it. One thing baffles me as long time DL fan who followed his carreer since BV.

DL seemed incredibly stressed making the series and even wonder he enjoyed it at all? Also the way he directed the actors contradicted the stories I heard from principal photography of his previous films. There the image painted was a very relaxed atmosphere where actors could provide their own thing and DL only gave them hints how they should play it. During season 3 DL's direction was waay more rigid, and dare I say even a hint of dictatioral where every scene the actor only moved or spoke what he wanted. Im guessing that was because of the time constraints, or like DL said during one of the making of's "no time to be dreamy".

one thing I miss as extra's is behind the scene's footage of post production, making of some of the special effects, and sound design, would love to see (and hear!) that,.
Time is money. There was a budget battle and Lynch probably got the bare minimum he was asking for in order to complete the project, not a penny more.
sorry but thats a bit too easy. We know DL pressured CBS for more time and money before committing, so CBS already gave him more of that, the question is was it enough? Feels like it was either mismanaged at DL's production scheduling, wich was scheduled as a regular TV show, not a DL production. I can also remember in one of the extra's the production assistant saying that money wasnt a problem if he wanted to hire an actor for an day extra. So I think it was more a planning issue.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

riesje wrote:
sorry but thats a bit too easy. We know DL pressured CBS for more time and money before committing, so CBS already gave him more of that, the question is was it enough? Feels like it was either mismanaged at DL's production scheduling, wich was scheduled as a regular TV show, not a DL production. I can also remember in one of the extra's the production assistant saying that money wasnt a problem if he wanted to hire an actor for an day extra. So I think it was more a planning issue.
mtwentz explained the situation well. There is no villain here making Lynch do something on terms other than what he'd agreed to. On every film set all over the world there is less time than the director would like. Lynch seemed a lot less pressured here than in the making of footage of "Inland Empire" - and he was paying for that one himself. Showtime allowed the show to premiere a year later than first announced, and since they'd seen the screenplay, took a gigantic gamble on Lynch/Frost. Good on them.
tamygdala
Roadhouse Member

Post by tamygdala »

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Very curious about the BTS stuff! I'm waiting until I've finished my latest full fledged re-watch. At part 12 now. Don't want to take away the magic just yet :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

It's clear that certain actors (Sizemore and Watts especially) want to be directed in this way, with very specific line readings and even to the point of Lynch talking to them during the takes. He's very specific with all of them, but I it seems he dials it back and forth depending on the actor's preference.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

Have you seen the two documentaries about the making of INLAND EMPIRE? For me, they scotched the popular view of Lynch as a permanently genial, non-sweary guy on set. He was remarkably dictatorial and grumpy at times, much more so than he is on this series of Twin Peaks.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Robin Davies wrote:

Have you seen the two documentaries about the making of INLAND EMPIRE? For me, they scotched the popular view of Lynch as a permanently genial, non-sweary guy on set. He was remarkably dictatorial and grumpy at times, much more so than he is on this series of Twin Peaks.
I mean, he’s on record saying that this was the most creatively satisfying project he’s ever worked on. He could have just been professional but also he may just like working under pressure as long as the results are worth it. I know he said he had no time to dream but really that could have just applied to specific days. Who knows? My best bet is that with IE and Season 3 for logistical reasons he didn’t have that much freedom but that the trade off for complete creative control would make it worth it. Although probably the way Eraserhead was made might be his preferred method had it not been for the poverty and having a young child. I guess, after writing this, it could all just be simplified into: David is just a complicated guy despite his simplicity....or he’s a simple man despite his complicated forms of expression.
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

I just needed a place to vent and say this Blu Ray release has been an unmitigated disaster. Despite pre-ordering on the day it was announced, and as a Prime customer, Amazon doesn't even have a suggested shipping date, Showtime has none available despite saying it's in stock, and all the Best Buys and video stores around me aren't carrying it, or only carry the DVD. This should have been a slam dunk for the holiday season and instead they've completely missed that train. Really piss-poor job on CBS Home Entertainment's behalf.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Sorry to hear that Mickey. I was lucky- I preordered on Amazon and got it shipped to Australia, but it took a while. The Final Dossier was crazy though- I had a long wait to get it.

I checked out the Reddit thread on the bluray whilst waiting for delivery, but it was full of complaints about Amazon! Maybe they underestimated the demand?

Regarding Lynch being grumpy, etc, I'm sure he just has good and bad days like most people working on a stressful project. Seeing him in a bad mood in 2 minutes of a documentary doesn't establish a state of mind.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

So regarding this set's availability, they are making more, right? I'd hope they're not limiting it to a small number, although obviously something went wrong in their estimation, or they couldn't produce enough to make the announced release date. I'm sick of buying stuff online. I'd like to get it in a store, but no Barnes & Noble or Best Buy in my area is listed as having it. Maybe I'll check an indie record/film store.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:I think the chocolate bunnies bit is hilarious! Watch it again and look at Andy's and Hawk's expressions throughout the scene (especially Andy's look when Lucy is describing the bubble of gas and Hawk when he asks Lucy if she ate the evidence).

And Andy saying, 'This is HERE...'
I get why it’s supposed to be funny, and I have nothing but admiration for the actors’ efforts. A lot of the sheriff’s station stuff falls flat for me, even as I admire the deadpan efforts of Forster and Horse, and Goaz and Robertson’s considerable talents. Comedy is so subjective. I personally just find the pacing way too slow and the writing a bit moronic. By the same token, I am a tremendous Marx Bros. fan, but when I have tried to show Horsefeathers and Duck Soup to some friends (discriminating film fans), they find them slow and dull, which boggles my mind. I’m reminded of a passage from Chris Rodley’s LYNCH ON LYNCH, where DKL mentions the fact that the Marx Bros. films were calculated to allow pauses for cinema audiences to laugh between dialogue, and consequently the films play too slow on home video. I respectfully disagree with the maestro...IMO, it’s tough to imagine Groucho’s dialogue being more rapid-fire; and it seems a bit hypocritical for DKL to make such a comment but to have subsequently shot “comedic” scenes for TP:TR with such excruciatingly long pauses between not-particularly-funny lines of scatalogical humor.

But, again, there’s nothing more subjective than comedy. No accounting for taste. :D
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

How am I going to express this? I mean, it must be obvious for each and every viewer that Lynch juggles with all variations of time. For instance, there is not one single flashback of a moment in time exposing an event that happened between the end of season 2 and the beginning of season 3; it straight out skips 25 years. IOW we, the audience, need to fill in the blanks ourselves.
A gap of 25 years is huge, in fact it's about the period of a "whole generation." Then, the opposite is the amount of time Lynch "spills" on rather trivial occurrences, and I dare say, purposefully. In a way he's trying to stretch time for the one and only reason that characters, and actors, will stay as long as possible, among "us." Death in the near future is a big theme in season 3. Death can be "seen" as vanishing from the soil, or should I write that it might end up in yet another possible "blue rose case?"

If some crew-members have their own opinion about the duration of certain shots and express their critique openly during the shooting I can imagine Lynch would lose his temper occasionally.

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

DKL has a reputation as both a highly collaborative artist willing to listen to ideas from anyone, and as an uncompromising perfectionist singularly devoted to his personal vision. I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive: like all of us, he’s a complex human being. More than one actor he’s worked with has compared themselves to paint on his canvas, but we also know that he frequently reacts to what happens on set and alters his vision based on what he sees actors are doing. Kyle at the Comic Con panel had a quote that perhaps sums it up best: he said something along the lines of (paraphrasing), “He’s my friend, but he’s also an artist, and sometimes he goes to that place and I can’t follow him, and I just have to trust him.” It’s also worth noting that DKL has referred to Jack Nance on Eraserhead as the best actor he ever worked with — the reason being that Nance had blocked and rehearsed every movement in advance to absolute precision.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

baxter wrote:Regarding Lynch being grumpy, etc, I'm sure he just has good and bad days like most people working on a stressful project. Seeing him in a bad mood in 2 minutes of a documentary doesn't establish a state of mind.
I agree. I was just surprised to see him swearing like a trooper while making INLAND EMPIRE after hearing Dennis Hopper say that Lynch was too shy to say the f-word on the set of Blue Velvet! I think the behind-the-scenes footage of INLAND EMPIRE and the new Twin Peaks just shows a more honest range of his behaviour than previous documentaries which may have been slightly sanitised.
I suspect most directors behave the same (and probably much worse in some cases) because it must be a very intense job.