Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Post by claaa7 »

i FINALLY got my package delivered today and WOW was it worth the wait!!

i wasn't even going to watch it today but just popped in the first disc and pressed play on ep. 1/2 to check out the picture/audio quality and i just couldn't stop watching.. what a great feeling to be able to dig right back into the expanded world of Twin Peaks, Buckhorn, Las Vegas, etc. and the audio/video quality truly blows me away - a top grade A+ blu ray set for sure.

i have some issues with the series, which are mostly down to storytelling choices (or non-choices), but i feel that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and as a whole piece it might be up there with Lynch's greatest works (i.e. FWWM) - only time will tell.

i will watch the entire series/film one time through before i even dig into any of the behind the scenes stuff.. while i think it's a great treasure trove for us to enjoy we should be aware that being able to see the work in process will probably take away a little of the magic. at least that's my experience with these tye of documentaries (though i find them extremely fascinating), but they can definitely alter a great scene for the rest of your life for you
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

claaa7 wrote:i FINALLY got my package delivered today and WOW was it worth the wait!!

i wasn't even going to watch it today but just popped in the first disc and pressed play on ep. 1/2 to check out the picture/audio quality and i just couldn't stop watching.. what a great feeling to be able to dig right back into the expanded world of Twin Peaks, Buckhorn, Las Vegas, etc. and the audio/video quality truly blows me away - a top grade A+ blu ray set for sure.

i have some issues with the series, which are mostly down to storytelling choices (or non-choices), but i feel that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and as a whole piece it might be up there with Lynch's greatest works (i.e. FWWM) - only time will tell.

i will watch the entire series/film one time through before i even dig into any of the behind the scenes stuff.. while i think it's a great treasure trove for us to enjoy we should be aware that being able to see the work in process will probably take away a little of the magic. at least that's my experience with these tye of documentaries (though i find them extremely fascinating), but they can definitely alter a great scene for the rest of your life for you
I've heard people say this before, but I personally have never found that BTS documentaries change my view of any film in any way whatsoever, unless I choose to watch the film from the perspective of having seen those BTS documentaries. Otherwise, those documentaries are out of sight, out of mind and I am totally immersed in the world of whatever illusion the filmmaker has created.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Has there been any word whatsoever on the languages of the eventual European release? Which dubs in any given territory, which subtitles?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who might help out here. Local Amazon stores are confused, the lot of them. :? And sorry if this has been discussed already, I stopped checking this thread to avoid spoilers about the bonus features.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

claaa7 wrote:i FINALLY got my package delivered today and WOW was it worth the wait!!

The series pops in a way that it never did even when I was watching it on TV. The picture is absolutely glorious. Yes, it is definitely up there with Fire Walk With Me. They go very well together.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Hockey Mask wrote:After watching the behind the scenes docs there is no question how much Twin Peaks was DL's vision.
no doubt it's his vision, but i don't think it really changed much.. i think there's just as much Mark Frost as we had thought as well.. being that the extras reveals how closely he stuck with the script for the process (which also makes me doubt Lynch wrote very many extra scene, save for the Audrey stuff) and we know that's a 50/50 bet. this is also revealed by The Final Dossier which seems to make a few script changes available to us but further makes it clear that the vision was a shared one as far as storytelling goes.

also having seen through the series one final time for a good while now i feel that the entire series is hardly as far removed from the original Peaks as we first experienced it when it first aired. fact is that it's mostly the pacing that is CRAZY in its own way.. i don't think i have ever seen another filmmaker take THIS MUCH TIME with each scene.. the majority of scenes would probably be 50% shorter had Duwayne Dunham or any other person had final cut without checking with Lynch. watching through all of the extras there is only one deleted scene that is even hinted at.

but there's probably just as much pie and coffee in The Return as the original Twin Peaks.. pie and coffee are literally life and death matters in this new series lol.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

claaa7 wrote:but there's probably just as much pie and coffee in The Return as the original Twin Peaks.. pie and coffee are literally life and death matters in this new series lol.
It's true! :lol:
Keen observation.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

In keeping with the weirdness of Twin Peaks... at the end of my (boozy) birthday weekend last night, I dreamt a long conversation with David Lynch where we had a discussion about TPTR. He was really nice to me, even though I said I hated it and thanked me for taking the time to watch the show and begged me to rewatch it on Blu-ray.

Y’know, I feel it’s crazy, but I’m almost tempted. Was he transcendentally meditating at the time?!! ;)

I swear I’m not making it up!!
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Gabriel wrote:In keeping with the weirdness of Twin Peaks... at the end of my (boozy) birthday weekend last night, I dreamt a long conversation with David Lynch where we had a discussion about TPTR. He was really nice to me, even though I said I hated it and thanked me for taking the time to watch the show and begged me to rewatch it on Blu-ray.

Y’know, I feel it’s crazy, but I’m almost tempted. Was he transcendentally meditating at the time?!! ;)

I swear I’m not making it up!!
I am not sure if you'll like it more if you see it on Blu-Ray, but I can tell you that it looks a LOT better. The cheap HD video looks has finally been graded to look more like film with a rich color palette much closer to the old show.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

eyeboogers wrote:I am not sure if you'll like it more if you see it on Blu-Ray, but I can tell you that it looks a LOT better. The cheap HD video looks has finally been graded to look more like film with a rich color palette much closer to the old show.
That’s really interesting. Watching it on Now TV (Sky’s internet TV service) the whole thing had an ‘interlaced video’ look, which made everything look really fake. Sets looked artificial. Coop emerging from the red curtains near the end looked like a studio set where the original felt like real woodland. It’s actually my biggest issue with the series, even beyond pacing and storyline.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I agree that it looks a LOT better on Blu Ray. The nuanced differences in lighting and color grading from scene to scene are much more apparent. The sheriff’s station stuff, which I thought looked particularly flat on the streaming platform, is now quite beautiful with both external amd internal light flooding the set with various colors at different times throughout the day. It’s a remarkable upgrade.

Storywise, I agree with Eyeboogers — you may not like it much more. But watching it knowing where everything is headed makes it an inevitably different experience, for better or worse. Given how back-and-forth you’ve been in your feelings, Gabriel, it may be worth a shot!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Finally started delving into the BTS stuff. I watched the Lauzirika and Beymer documentaries. The footage in the Lauzirika one was great, but I was annoyed that he more often than not overdubbed what we were seeing with sound bites from the actors, mostly generic sentiments about how it felt to be back etc. It gave the whole thing more of an EPK vibe, where I just wanted to hear what the people onscreen were saying. The Beymer fly on the wall approach to editing was very much preferable to me. Don’t get me wrong, there was some good material in the Lauzirika “interviews,” but I would have preferred to see them as interstitial talking heads rather than dubbed over the onset footage. I’m simultaneously excited for the footage and dreading the execution of the Disc 8 material, given what I’ve read on here.

DKL seems MUCH more congenial and chill here than in the IE BTS footage. Which is interesting, given what a massive undertaking this project was. It really shows how terrified he must have been, making IE without a script or solid plan.

DKL sees Goaz for the first time in probably decades, and immediately goes for the hair.

The Andy/Lucy/Wally family photo in closeup is even weirder and creepier than I could possibly have imagined. Jumpin’ Jiminy.

Forster is clearly not a viewer of the original — he has to ask what his “secretary”’s name is.

DKL refers to Strobel’s character repeatedly as “Phillip Gerard.”

I love that MacLachlan ties his own tie for Cooper scenes.

DKL’s OCD insistence on waking up at times that add up to 7...yikes.

Love DKL insisting that the only way to get the shot is by flying Sheryl, and just is NOT hearing it when he is repeatedly told that they’re not allowed to do that.

I never noticed before that Jeffries is in the Mauve/Pink Room from Part 3! That vaulted ceiling should have been a dead giveaway.

Ray Wise winking at Beymer made me so happy. Leland and Ben, briefly together again!

I’d never heard before that Beymer’s nickname for DKL is “Bucky Ji.” I assume this is where DKL’s IE character Bucky J came from? Wonder what “Ji” means (or how it’s pronounced, for that matter).

It’s so cool seeing the way many of the effects in Parts 2 and 3 of Cooper falling and getting sucked into the socket were executed (at least in part) practically, using Kyle’s (extremely underrated) physicality. It’s also so much fun watching him go in and out of character as Mr. C and the “real” Dougie. Interestingly, the character he seems to default to most between takes is “classic” Cooper, with his grinning thumbs-up, even though he and DKL made the decision to minimize that portrayal in the new season.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Is anyone else having issues with the photo gallery on Disc 7? I have a pretty old Blu Ray player (Sony BDP-S300), but I’ve never encountered this particular problem. I can load the first image, but no button will let me progress past that one picture. Anyone have any ideas? I understand that not all features may work with my archaic machine, but a photo gallery seems like the most basic imaginable feature. I’m really not understanding why I’m encountering an issue.

EDIT: It lets me skip back and forth between the first picture (the Twin Peaks sign) and presumably the last (Dale and Laura in the Red Room), but nothing in between. This is completely ludicrous. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Is anyone else having issues with the photo gallery on Disc 7? I have a pretty old Blu Ray player (Sony BDP-S300), but I’ve never encountered this particular problem. I can load the first image, but no button will let me progress past that one picture. Anyone have any ideas? I understand that not all features may work with my archaic machine, but a photo gallery seems like the most basic imaginable feature. I’m really not understanding why I’m encountering an issue.

EDIT: It lets me skip back and forth between the first picture (the Twin Peaks sign) and presumably the last (Dale and Laura in the Red Room), but nothing in between. This is completely ludicrous. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
hmm that's strange, i'm just trying it in my Blu Ray player now and it works like gangbusters. the first image should be white text that says something like "use your < or > button on the remote to go forward or backwards between images". the button to use is not the chapter skip or ffwd search but the forward or backwards button that you use for browsing menus.

some of the images are from the first press releases, a few are stills from the disc 8 documentaries but there are some exclusives and goodies in there.

wow your observation about the Philip Jeffries steamer being in the same room as the Mauve Zone (which Lynch keeps referring to as the "Mansion Room" in the BTS docs) is spot on. i noticed they used the same sets but going back and rewatching the first scene with Mister C it's clear from the vaulted frame and the side exit that there's not even being an attempt to disguise it as another location (which is what i haphazardly assumed). the exit to the right of the Jeffries steamer is where the ladder that Naido and Cooper climbs are located.

also note in the first scene with Philip Jeffries that the room are kind of conjured up after Mister C has entered through the locked door.. it's done by "pulling apart" one half of the frame and insert the room with Jeffries scene.. this is basically the same effect as was used in "Eraserhead" when the world behind the radiator is first revealed to Henry (as we see it), it's like the wall behind the radiator are pulled apart to showcase another world that was lurking behind there all the time.

i noticed what you said about Kyle "acting" much like classic Cooper in between takes as well.. but isn't this the personality that also most closely ties in to Kyle McLachlan IRL? he seems to be a very easy going, happy guy
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

speaking about Twin Peaks on Blu Ray i just remembered a very vivid dream that i had this night, that there was a "hidden" episode to be found on disc 6 that you could access only by watching the entire episode 14 and then pressing fast forward twice or something. it was partly composed of somewhat static images with large sections of The Final Dossier read over these images, explaining Audrey's state and other things.. that's what i get for trying to sleep to the audiobook version of Mark Frost books lol
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

claaa7 wrote:hmm that's strange, i'm just trying it in my Blu Ray player now and it works like gangbusters. the first image should be white text that says something like "use your < or > button on the remote to go forward or backwards between images". the button to use is not the chapter skip or ffwd search but the forward or backwards button that you use for browsing menu
Yeah, it’s the weirdest damn thing. I get the text screen, and the forward button lets me advance to the next image (crew setting up the “Welcome to Twin Peaks” sign). It then will not move forward for anything — it’s totally unresponsive. But if I hit the backward button, it shows me the shooting of a scene with Cooper and Laura in the Red Room. But after that, the backward button won’t work, and all I can do is move forward back to the sign! It’s maddening and extremely odd.