Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray

Post by Metamorphia »

Soolsma wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:For what it's worth, if it does get a 4K UHD release (unlikely, the format has not yet branched into TV shows), it will be an upscale as I don't believe S3 was shot in 4K.
What makes you think that? Lynch was shooting digitally, so it's probable he's using contemporary standards. Even smartphones have 4k cameras these days.
It's not as simple as that. 4K only refers to the size of the image, and there are 4K cameras that are fairly poor quality all things considered (cosnumer cameras, iPhones, webcams) and high end 4K (cinema cameras) that take into account all kinds of different things e.g. compression, sensor size, etc.

The Arri Amira camera is I believe a 2.8K camera, and all in all the Arri digital range is probably the most popular camera in the industry at the moment used on a huge host of films by some great cinematographers. 4K is not this kind of ultimate level of quality that it's made out to be.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

I really doubt that the original show could be re-released in 4K. The best most negatives can do is 2K, from what I've heard at least.
The cow jumped over the moon.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Pöllö wrote:I really doubt that the original show could be re-released in 4K. The best most negatives can do is 2K, from what I've heard at least.
It depends. A lot of movies shot in less than 4K, or that received less than 4K digital interpositives, have been released in 4K to make use of a wide colour gamut and HDR.

Not many TV shows, if any, are available in 4K, but several are available on the likes of Netflix.

I'm going to buy an iTunes season pass initially, then see if I like the show enough and think the extras are worth it before buying the Blu-ray. I'm intrigued to think that the possibility of more Twin Peaks exists and that, if the show is successful, we might hear about more seasons by the end of 2017. Wouldn't that be something?! If not, then we can hope for another 'The (Even More) Complete Mystery' set. One that's hopefully in sync!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Pöllö wrote:I really doubt that the original show could be re-released in 4K. The best most negatives can do is 2K, from what I've heard at least.
In theory, it could be released in 4K, but I doubt the gains would be substantial enough to make it worth it. I guess uprezzing the full quality (presumably 2K) scans for the Blu-rays and iTunes to take advantage of 4KBD's better bandwidth and colour and contrast would be possible, but it would depend on how much benefit there actually will be! I doubt it would be that great.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Gabriel wrote:
In theory, it could be released in 4K, but I doubt the gains would be substantial enough to make it worth it. I guess uprezzing the full quality (presumably 2K) scans for the Blu-rays and iTunes to take advantage of 4KBD's better bandwidth and colour and contrast would be possible, but it would depend on how much benefit there actually will be! I doubt it would be that great.
I think the changes would be minimal at best. I'm very scrupulous when it comes to image quality, but I'm happy with the blu-ray release. I didn't even know that it was possible to publish the series in full HD.
The cow jumped over the moon.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I've heard from someone in the know to not hold your breath for the original series in 4K. Something to do with all the SD shots in there. Hopefully I'm remembering that right.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

I would love the classic Bluray format for a new boxset. I would love it to include the following stuff:

Deleted Scenes / Extended Scenes

Bloopers

Interviews

Behind the Scenes

Promo, Pictures and all that stuff!
Roomservice...
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Releases of content shot on 35mm film in 4K have been underwhelming at best so far. Goodfellas for example apparently actually looks better on Blu Ray - all the 4K does is bring out the grain.

Twin Peaks currently looks great in 2K. Be content with that!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Metamorphia wrote:Releases of content shot on 35mm film in 4K have been underwhelming at best so far. Goodfellas for example apparently actually looks better on Blu Ray - all the 4K does is bring out the grain.

Twin Peaks currently looks great in 2K. Be content with that!
Yeah, it's a bit like people buying snapshot digital cameras with a ridiculous number of megapixels, given the lens quality. My original digital camera had five megapixels and was great. My current one can do 15, which is ridiculous. I use it at ten most of the time and even that's probably more than I need.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

so back 2 topic bros, when can we expect season 3 on bluray?
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

TweetPeak wrote:so back 2 topic bros, when can we expect season 3 on bluray?
Hopefully sometime at the end of the year. Maybe November/December ?
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

dkenny78 wrote:- The alternate cliffhanger of the S1 finale, if indeed there was one. The show was only renewed for S2 days before the finale aired, and I remember hearing rumblings that an alternate 'closed' finale was ready to go in case they were canceled
What? Where did you hear that?
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Hopefully they've taken care to hold onto all Season 3 deleted scenes this time...
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

...and some (newly discovered) ripped pages from the secret diary hidden inside the box set! This would make a damn fine boxset!
Roomservice...
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

piero wrote:...and some (newly discovered) ripped pages from the secret diary hidden inside the box set! This would make a damn fine boxset!
That would be awesome. Deleted scenes as well of course.
Dalai Cooper wrote:Frost has said a couple of times now that they're looking into including all of On The Air(!) as an extra on the new series Blu-Ray, but who knows...
Yes please!
"Your log and I are on the same page."