Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:If it means they are selling more copies than anticipated, I personally am more than happy to wait and am very happy for Lynch/Frost/Showtime that sales have exceeded their expectations. We waited almost three years from the announcement to the Showtime premiere, a few more weeks to see the extras won't kill us :-)
Call me a pessimist, but I tend to assume that CBS manufactured an absurdly stingy number of copies, basing their calculation on the low viewership numbers, rather than assuming that demand ended up being super high.

I’ve never seen anything like this. As others have noted, how could they not even fill the initial preorders from the first day it went on sale? Didn’t someone do the math? So aggravating.
TweetPeak wrote:the Limited Edition Packing BluRay has basicly sold out.

There will be another BluRay Set but this time it is packed with "Slipcase".

If you want that, you can get it from 11th of December.
Are you talking about Europe, US, everywhere? Will future sets not be the deluxe packaging? I’ll be beyond annoyed if that’s the case.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

My Amazon order has officially been downgraded to “delivery date pending.”

I’m fairly certain that many of us on this board would have been among the absolute first to place preorders, and yet it seems like almost none of us got it. They must have manufactured an absurdly low number of units, no?
^◊^

Post by ^◊^ »

Was told by Amazon that the batch mainly went to the people who opted for next day shipping. Naturally all prime members used the free two-day option and were promptly bent over for it. I already paid extra when I became a prime member so I should have dibs when it comes to limited stock, I mean that's why I pre-ordered the damn thing on the first day in the first place...for this exact fucking reason! Really shady of them to not bother telling anyone either so we wouldn't just cancel our orders and find another seller. I tweeted to Amazon help not to apologize to people (which they haven't done yet) but to make it right. I have yet to receive a response. Profoundly disappointed in Amazon.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I ordered mine the day it became available for preorder, and I picked two-day delivery, as I'm yet another Prime member, which apparently is so common that it's not worth Amazon giving us any consideration at all. It says it's set to arrive on the 21st of December.

I'm a patient person, so it's not the end of the world, but it's a bit annoying that they screwed up so badly. The Twin Peaks fanbase may not be the biggest of all, but they should already know that we're extremely likely to purchase something like this.

I wonder if some element of the set (like the extra surprise object or whatever it is) is difficult to produce. If they were planning to put some little novelty TP item in there and the supplier couldn't keep up, they might just wait instead of suffering the inevitable shitstorm that would occur if some people got it and some people didn't.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I’m unhappy with Amazon as well. What they did is unfair. I was lucky enough to get a copy at Best Buy, though.

I just hope this sort of thing doesn’t keep occurring. I may cancel Prime.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Last edited by Diane on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Was told by Amazon that the batch mainly went to the people who opted for next day shipping. Naturally all prime members used the free two-day option and were promptly bent over for it. I already paid extra when I became a prime member so I should have dibs when it comes to limited stock, I mean that's why I pre-ordered the damn thing on the first day in the first place...for this exact fucking reason! Really shady of them to not bother telling anyone either so we wouldn't just cancel our orders and find another seller. I tweeted to Amazon help not to apologize to people (which they haven't done yet) but to make it right. I have yet to receive a response. Profoundly disappointed in Amazon.
That sounds like a logical explanation for what’s going on. If true, it’s pretty shitty to screw over loyal longtime customers in the interest of short-term profit. The way Amazon does business seems to have fundamentally changed, and I’m also extremely disappointed.

None of which lets CBS off the hook for creating the situation and putting distributors in a compromised position to begin with. It displays a lack of confidence in the product, and leaves me with a bad feeling toward the parent company, even as I remain supremely grateful to Nevins and the Showtime subdivision that this show exists at all.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

There was no surprise object.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Diane wrote:There was no surprise object.
Hmmm. Interesting.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I wonder if I got the slipcase edition? It is in a slipcase, but I didn’t think that version was available yet.

The slipcase is fancy looking. You have to slip one part off and then another.

The box I got said “Made In Mexico.”
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

So what, they didn't manufacture enough or Amazon, for instance, didn't get enough? I'm not champing at the bit to get it, but I just hope they make a sufficient amount. Barnes & Noble physical stores near me don't have it, and neither does Best Buy. What's this about different packaging? I've found no mention of any packaging options.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

This is all very strange but I believe the problem is as much or more to do with the manufacturer as it is to do with Amazon. I went to a local retailer who always puts things out early and they hadn't received any copies yet as of Sunday; I think it's a case of limited supply more than Amazon simply screwing up. And I'm not sure I buy the story about overnight shipping...after all, who needs to pat for overnight shipping if they have Prime? Are they saying that people without Prime paid for one day shipping, and they got first dibs? Anyway, I was in the same boat as many of you. Ordered the first day it became available, and the second day and the third day (gifts and whatnot) but none of my orders shipped. Luckily I was able to snag a copy at Best Buy this morning. It looks great and I love the packaging.

But this is like a nightmare situation for us fans. Me, in particular, I've spent thousands upon thousands of dollars with Amazon in the past year (and every year), and I can't remember the last time this happened. I've had a lot of damaged items come lately, but nothing has been late...and of all things THIS is the thing that's out of stock? Somebody messed up badly.
jordanlake
Roadhouse Member

Post by jordanlake »

Cancelled my zaavi order, and picked it up in Fopp (in the UK) for the cheaper price of £35 (for the Blu-Ray)
frankenhooker

Post by frankenhooker »

I don't think its a manufacturing problem, at least not one affecting the UK. I've visited HMV and Fopp this week, both had plenty, even my local Tesco Metro had a Copy. Amazon had problems fulfilling a couple of my orders lately, blu rays of The Thing and Sorcerer took a while to be sent out to me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Jerry Horne wrote:
BGate wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:For what it's worth, I went through three different Amazon representatives to try and get a handle on when they estimate they'll have more in stock. I was told, "The soonest we will be able to ship this is January 8." Does that sound crazy to you all?

I hope to God she was wrong because none of the local stores here carry it either, they're all sold out. :(
Jerry/TP Archive tweeted that the next "shipment" is supposed to be "around" Dec 15, but it's unclear if that's just when CBS will send them to distributors, or if customers will actually receive them around that date.
I've heard that is when the second batch arrives to retailers. Someone on Twitter just told me that Amazon told her she would would get it on the 21st.
The Amazon rep I chatted with said they would arrive "in a week" and also "very soon", so who knows.