One reason to worry about the quality of Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Re: One reason to worry about the quality of Season 3

Post by Snailhead »

Yeah if you think of FWWM as an artistic failure, there's a good chance you won't like The Return.

So for the many of us who adore FWWM, it goes without saying that we assume it will be to our liking!
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

IcedOver wrote:
Metamorphia wrote: Go on then...
Many things make me feel this could be a train wreck; don't feel like cataloguing them at the moment. The one mentioned in this thread isn't one of them, though. You could say the same thing about any actor you know who you watch in anything.

What worries me about the fandom and expectation for this show is that so many appear to be assuming this will be good. Even if the general consensus is that it's an artistic failure, I'm sure that you'll find people justifying and defending every little bit with theory after theory (as has been done with "FWWM", which I and plenty others consider an artistic failure). Don't get me wrong, I hope this is among the best shows of the past decade plus, but I don't assume.
Well yes, I was just intrigued in finding out what they are. Not many people who feel this way on here (understandably perhaps), so it's interesting to read that stuff.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

It can be hard, especially on the internet, to tell apart people who are defending something because they feel some brand affiliation to it from people who genuinely liked the thing... or, conversely, prejudiced haters from people who genuinely disliked the thing. Not everybody has an agenda, often it's just tastes.

Of course it can be bad, but as usual with established authors, people who have liked everything up to this point are probably justified in their optimism, while people who haven't are probably justified in their pessimism, I gather.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Gabriel wrote:That said I'm not to worried about season three: I may not like it when it turns up, for what ever reason, but who the actors are isn't too much of a concern. The old show had Piper Laurie, Russ Tamblyn and Joan Chen, all of whom I recognised, so the presence of decent more recent actors doesn't concern me.
Great point! In fact, such a great point this thread is pretty much obsolete. In the old show, they even relied on the audience recognizing these actors because they played around with pairing them, old actors from Mod Squad and West Side Story knowingly placed side by side. From what I recall, there were plans to do more of those kinds of meta pairings. Plus, throw in all the half-wink referencing to Hitchcock, Preminger, etc. Senor Droolcup even quotes from his actors' old films! There was precedent for this from day one, and every step of the way.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Not worried. Not worried at all.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

If this world can contain David fucking Bowie, it can contain anyone.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Snailhead wrote:Yeah if you think of FWWM as an artistic failure, there's a good chance you won't like The Return.
i agree.. i have a feeling the new series will be closer in style and atmosphere to FWWM than to the original series.. at least that's the vibe i get from the teasers so far, and the fact that Lynch is directing all episodes. i love both FWWM and Twin Peaks the series so i'm fine with either way or something completely different. i really like all of Lynch's movies, my least favorite is "Dune" but a lot of that was butchered in post-production, and there's a lot of great scene and visual flair in that movie.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

I loved FWWM, and l'm glad it was critically a failure - l'd leave the critics with their backhanders and their Marvel computer game CGI fest reboot lensflareoramas. (Contrarily I don't think anybody having angst or criticism is necessarily the Devilish One!)
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Nighthawk wrote:This may turn out to be totally irrelevant, but I don't like the fact that so many well known actors/actresses are going to be featured in the new season of TP. The original series relied on very strong actors who were not necessarily mainstream and I think that was very important for the immersion aspect. We didn't know these people. Now I am going to look at Naomi Watts and think: wow, she's hot for her age. I wonder what movie will she headline next?
Just saw this for the first time and couldn't agree more. I love the world of TP being self contained and it was the first time I saw it (I didn't even know who Kyle was then). I like Trent Reznor and I love Twin Peaks but I have no desire to see Trent Reznor IN Twin Peaks. I worry that the effect will be jarring and may ruin the whole beautiful illusion.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

mlsstwrt wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:This may turn out to be totally irrelevant, but I don't like the fact that so many well known actors/actresses are going to be featured in the new season of TP. The original series relied on very strong actors who were not necessarily mainstream and I think that was very important for the immersion aspect. We didn't know these people. Now I am going to look at Naomi Watts and think: wow, she's hot for her age. I wonder what movie will she headline next?
Just saw this for the first time and couldn't agree more. I love the world of TP being self contained and it was the first time I saw it (I didn't even know who Kyle was then). I like Trent Reznor and I love Twin Peaks but I have no desire to see Trent Reznor IN Twin Peaks. I worry that the effect will be jarring and may ruin the whole beautiful illusion.
Who's Trent Reznor?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I have a feeling a lot of the big names (like Trent Reznor, for example) won't be seen in the town itself, but in places like Vegas.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I guess David Bowie doesn't really have the profile of a reznor or a vedder
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Dalai Cooper wrote:I guess David Bowie doesn't really have the profile of a reznor or a vedder
Ha ha, fair point (the sarcasm aside)! Chris Isaak too. Had the series in mind not the movie when making the post.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Snailhead wrote:I have a feeling a lot of the big names (like Trent Reznor, for example) won't be seen in the town itself, but in places like Vegas.
That would make it less jarring for sure. As evidenced by the fact that, per Dalai's post, I have somehow completely been fine with the fact that the Thin White Duke himself is part of this universe.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

mlsstwrt wrote: Just saw this for the first time and couldn't agree more. I love the world of TP being self contained and it was the first time I saw it (I didn't even know who Kyle was then). I like Trent Reznor and I love Twin Peaks but I have no desire to see Trent Reznor IN Twin Peaks. I worry that the effect will be jarring and may ruin the whole beautiful illusion.
Actually, I'll admit to having concerns back in 1992 when I heard FWWM would have David Bowie, Chris Isaak and Kiefer Sutherland in potentially major roles – not only had they not been in the show and Kyle would only make a brief appearance, but I thought the film could turn into a celeb love-in where actors and rock stars would think it would look cool and 'alternative' to be in the film. But Chester, Sam and Jefferies were superb and FWWM is one of my favourite films ever.

So having had this crisis quarter of a century ago (it pains my vanity to think it was that long ago!) I can safely say I think it'll be fine. ;)