Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

boske
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by boske »

mlsstwrt wrote:
boske wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
It's hard to read the main thread. The praise is fawning, over the top sycophantic. Am I being harsh?
I think Lynch is setting them up for a gut-punch in the final.
Lynch could literally step out of the television Ring style, smash them in the face and they would lap it up.

To be fair though that WOULD be a hell of a finale.
Maybe Gordon Cole takes off his face mask too?

The best thing I read in the main episode thread (no longer posting there), was an observation by somebody how Lucy has problems seeing cellphones but not Naido. :lol: Go figure. And then they place her in jail. What a joke.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

douglasb wrote:The Sarah scene was a bit schlock-y. She exposes her supernatural capacity in the middle of a reasonably busy bar? Presumably there's going to be some kind of police engagement? Sarah is taken in for questioning, giving her access to Naido maybe?
What I want understand about Sarah scene is if it is meant to say that Sarah is full of darkness due to Laura and Leland, or if she's possessed due to the bug and that's it. It is truly not clear to me. How I interpreted the scene is that Sarah spiraled into such a level of darkness that her soul is so dark that she has become one of the members of the black lodge. The reason I am not sure is the "spiritual finger" that is blackened out. It's not missing, it's just dark, as dark as it can be. Then we see Laura's smile, with her face darkened. My guess is that pain and suffering took such a toll on Sarah (who was already sensitive to spiritual stuff as we know since Season 1) that she has become her own worst nightmare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
boske wrote:You know what, maybe Naido sings at the Roadhouse next week, it would sure be better than what we saw this time around. What a farce...
It's hard to read the main thread. The praise is fawning, over the top sycophantic. Am I being harsh?
Why sycophantic? I just loved the episode, am I a sycophant for having a personal taste? Jeez.

I knew I'd get in trouble for that comment. No, you're not. I'm just saying there seems to be an overall gushing reaction. It reminds me of the way people react in the film 'Perfume' (I confess to not having read the book) at the end. I'm just interested in the psychology of this. Maybe everybody genuinely does love this (as I know you do) but I do honestly believe there is an Emperor's New Clothes thing going on here. It's just a thought.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

yaxomoxay wrote:
douglasb wrote:The Sarah scene was a bit schlock-y. She exposes her supernatural capacity in the middle of a reasonably busy bar? Presumably there's going to be some kind of police engagement? Sarah is taken in for questioning, giving her access to Naido maybe?
What I want understand about Sarah scene is if it is meant to say that Sarah is full of darkness due to Laura and Leland, or if she's possessed due to the bug and that's it. It is truly not clear to me. How I interpreted the scene is that Sarah spiraled into such a level of darkness that her soul is so dark that she has become one of the members of the black lodge. The reason I am not sure is the "spiritual finger" that is blackened out. It's not missing, it's just dark, as dark as it can be. Then we see Laura's smile, with her face darkened. My guess is that pain and suffering took such a toll on Sarah (who was already sensitive to spiritual stuff as we know since Season 1) that she has become her own worst nightmare.

That smile is the Cheshire Cat smile, see http://twinpeakswonderland.tumblr.com/p ... eshire-cat Hopefully this article will give you a further proof on the depth of the original, and what we are missing in the Return and what Lynch has been smashing and burying.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mlsstwrt wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
Why sycophantic? I just loved the episode, am I a sycophant for having a personal taste? Jeez.

I knew I'd get in trouble for that comment. No, you're not. I'm just saying there seems to be an overall gushing reaction. It reminds me of the way people react in the film 'Perfume' (I confess to not having read the book) at the end. I'm just interested in the psychology of this. Maybe everybody genuinely does love this (as I know you do) but I do honestly believe there is an Emperor's New Clothes thing going on here. It's just a thought.
You're in such deep trouble... NO SOUP FOR YOU!
I think that like all other human endeavors it's a mix of everything. Some people love it because it's DKL so whatever he does is fine, some actually enjoy it for what it is, some enjoy it because of its differences with the originals, and so on. Same goes for this group.
I think it's impossible to pinpoint to specific reasons for our feelings, whatever they are. As someone pointed out in the episode 13 thread, we will have years to overanalyze this thing, but this is our only chance to see it unfolding, and analyze this work without knowing all of it. This will not happen again. I honestly think that we (those who like the series) are genuinely enjoying it, for whatever reason as I do believe that people are genuinely not enjoying it, for whatever reason.

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

mlsstwrt wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:

People respond to what they like and respond to what they dislike. It's as simple as that. You just need to check this forum and the rest of the internet (the latter being far more positive generally than this forum) to see negative reactions to things that audiences generally haven't liked e.g. episode 12. But most people are very happy with the direction of the show. That's it.

Again, the need to taint all people who disagree as being deluded or whatever is so annoying and unnecessary.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

boske wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

That smile is the Cheshire Cat smile, see http://twinpeakswonderland.tumblr.com/p ... eshire-cat Hopefully this article will give you a further proof on the depth of the original, and what we are missing in the Return and what Lynch has been smashing and burying.
While I don't agree with your conclusion, yeah I agree that the original was quite deep. I thought for a bit about the Cheshire Cat, and there could be some inspiration by it, however I think it was Laura's smile.

mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

I think that like all other human endeavors it's a mix of everything. Some people love it because it's DKL so whatever he does is fine, some actually enjoy it for what it is, some enjoy it because of its differences with the originals, and so on. Same goes for this group.
I think it's impossible to pinpoint to specific reasons for our feelings, whatever they are. As someone pointed out in the episode 13 thread, we will have years to overanalyze this thing, but this is our only chance to see it unfolding, and analyze this work without knowing all of it. This will not happen again. I honestly think that we (those who like the series) are genuinely enjoying it, for whatever reason as I do believe that people are genuinely not enjoying it, for whatever reason.

Fair enough. Honestly probably I should have kept the thought to myself.

I like your explanation for the Sarah scene by the way, i.e. that her suffering has caused her to become something terrible herself. I feel for her so much.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mlsstwrt wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:

Fair enough. Honestly probably I should have kept the thought to myself.

I like your explanation for the Sarah scene by the way, i.e. that her suffering has caused her to become something terrible herself. I feel for her so much.
Given my success rate with predictions... I am probably wrong. In any case it would be a very interesting development of her character.
Next thing you know, she has become like this because she bought the left green rubber glove :)

boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

cheshirecat.gif
cheshirecat.gif (527.77 KiB) Viewed 7337 times
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

boske wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
boske wrote:
I think Lynch is setting them up for a gut-punch in the final.
Lynch could literally step out of the television Ring style, smash them in the face and they would lap it up.

To be fair though that WOULD be a hell of a finale.
Maybe Gordon Cole takes off his face mask too?

The best thing I read in the main episode thread (no longer posting there), was an observation by somebody how Lucy has problems seeing cellphones but not Naido. :lol: Go figure. And then they place her in jail. What a joke.
Twin Peaks was always somewhat absurdist. In fact, TP was always very absurdist: an FBI agent who solves crimes through dream interpretation, is visited by Giants and dwarves, who walks through Red Curtains in the forest to 'otherworldly Red Room' where he is chased around by demons who fight each other over Garmonbozia (creamed corn).

Now all of a sudden, folks like you are worried, 'Danm, this is so absurd'.

Yeah, it is. Since Episode 2 of Season 1, TP has become increasingly absurd. There is nothing in this new season, frankly, that is really that much more absurd than the original series and Fire Walk With Me. The only real difference is that now the entities can act directly in the physical world, vs. just inhabiting humans.

And Lucy was always a ditz, an over the top exaggeration of the prototypical 'dumb blonde'. Nothing has really changed there. Many fans complained endlessly about Andy and Lucy being unrealistically dumb in the original as well.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

love this thread tbh :lol:

haters mad at lovers
lovers amused by haters
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

@boske:
the bolted-on alice in wonderland lifts in series 2 were one of the things I least liked about it. The chess game device lifted straight from ' through the looking glass' just made me groan as soon as it was mentioned, that whole wyndham earle plot strand was crass and cringey and alot more generic and boring than the dougie saga. Whatever you think of this new TP version, there are few things in it quite as bad as some of the more clumsy elements of S2.
So I don't buy your assertion that some guy writing a fan blog that stretches a point somewhat with the cheshire cat parallels, retrospectively means that S2 had any more ' depth' than TP TR.
If the collage smile in Sarah Palmer's head means anything beyond teeth, isn't it more likely to be a reversed image of Laura Palmer's iconic photo smile, than a LewIs Carroll reference.

@anyone:
I wish the guy with the fake comedy London accent could have just been someone with...a London accent. It's not like there is a shortage of native Londoners, and they did fly the guy over from the UK. So an odd decision to use a voice actor from the UK and then get him to sound like he was faking it. Perhaps it was a caricature for the comedy value like ''Wally Brando''. Still, full marks for '' jobsworth '' - I've always found that word funny.
Last edited by referendum on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

referendum wrote:@boske:
the bolted-on alice in wonderland lifts in series 2 were one of the things I least liked about it. The chess game device lifted straight from ' through the looking glass' just made me groan as soon as it was mentioned, that whole wyndham earle plot strand was crass and cringey and alot more generic and boring than the dougie saga, whatever you think of this new TP version, there are few things in it quite as bad as some of the more clumsy elements of S2.
So I don't buy your assertion that some guy writing a fan blog that stretches a point somewhat with the cheshire cat parallels, retrospectively means that S2 had any more ' depth' than TP TR.
If the collage smile in Sarah Palmer's head means anything beyond teeth, isn't it more likely to be a reversed image of Laura Palmer's iconic photo smile, than a LewIs Carroll reference.

@anyone:
I wish the guy with the fake comedy London accent could have just been someone with...a London accent. It's not like there is a shortage of native Londoners, and they did fly the guy over from the UK. So an odd decision to use a voice actor from the UK and then get him to sound like he was faking it. Perhaps it was a caricature for the comedy value like ''Wally Brando''. Still, full marks for '' jobsworth '' - I've always found that word funny.
Americans seem to have a pathological need to do that. Almost every British character in an American show has some ludicrous accent.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

The main thread reminds of a stock market bubble just before a crash. Complete euphoria, full of, as Alan Greenspan would put it "irrational exhuberance". Lynch is going to harvest massive amounts of garmanbozia before this is all over. Now is the time for the smart money to pull out of there. :mrgreen: