Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby yaxomoxay » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:17 am

mlsstwrt wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
judasbooth wrote:Rather than make this series any better, the return of the Coop we know and love puts this series' failings into even sharper relief. What we wouldn't have given for Cooper to have been there from the start.


Honest question: How would the hyper-competent Cooper of this episode - who's now taken time to spiritually recover after 25 years in the Black Lodge, I might add - not have quickly and capably solved every storyline on the show in five episodes or less? Where is the tension in that?


Well we had the hyper-competent Cooper in the original from the start. So how was there such tension in the original?


There was absolutely no tension in Cooper's character in the originals until much later. He was actually some sort of relief to a badly damaged community. He brought optimism.

Audrey's dance made me sad. So beguiling in the original... couldn't help but laugh now. Sorry.


Well, no need to feel sorry. That's what age does to people, especially those that try to recreate older times as Audrey was doing. Yep, she's not the schoolgirl anymore!


Nice to see Lynch breaking out his old Commodore 64 for the special effects though.


Are you making fun of the second best computer in human history ??? (First being the Amiga 500). Shame on you! Shame on you!!!! ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by yaxomoxay on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Here Comes That Bob
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:03 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Here Comes That Bob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 am

Fans constantly hijacking this thread to express bafflement over the sentiments of a dissapointed crowd is getting really tiresome.
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby yaxomoxay » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:21 am

Here Comes That Bob wrote:Fans constantly hijacking this thread to express bafflement over the sentiments of a dissapointed crowd is getting really tiresome.


You endured through Dougie... you can certainly endure our constant invasion ;)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Here Comes That Bob
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:03 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Here Comes That Bob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:29 am

yaxomoxay wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:Fans constantly hijacking this thread to express bafflement over the sentiments of a dissapointed crowd is getting really tiresome.


You endured through Dougie... you can certainly endure our constant invasion ;)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Man, if continuous condescending lecturing of people you don't agree with makes you happy, than be my guest. However that kind of defeats the purpose of this thread. You don't see us hijacking the episode threads and educating people why a certain episode stinks.
User avatar
Here Comes That Bob
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:03 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Here Comes That Bob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:35 am

yaxomoxay wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:
dronerstone wrote:Nice. I know this is the thread for the disappointed, but in a nutshell kinda way one could easily take what happened back when the music was introduced and replace it with our favorite FBI agent.

At first "gimme my Cooper! I miss Cooper! This isn't Cooper!"

Episode 16: Cooper back in action, sets things in motion and is on his way to Twin Peaks quickly.

Disappointed fans' reaction: "this is not what I wanted!!!"

Bah.


With excruciating DougieCoop journey we had to endure, I assume most dissapointed fans have stopped caring about Cooper and his fate long ago. And now that he returned past 15 episodes seem like a waste and unneccesary dragging. It's really not that difficult to understand.


So he's out of the excruciating journey you hate so much and you don't like it? I truly don't understand.
Honestly it feels like you are a bit ... entitled? Not sure what word to use because I don't want to sound offensive. But two months ago you had no Cooper at all. Today you have him. Yes as of today Cooper is back. Even if you don't like the Dougie storyline... he's back as you (and I) wished. Yet you're not happy because it's not exactly what you wanted. No, I truly don't understand the feeling ... today.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Read last boske's post. He explained my point in a very picturesque way that you could probably understand.
User avatar
Dreamy Audrey
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Dreamy Audrey » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:39 am

yaxomoxay wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:Fans constantly hijacking this thread to express bafflement over the sentiments of a dissapointed crowd is getting really tiresome.


You endured through Dougie... you can certainly endure our constant invasion ;)


But it's really annoying when those people always make wrong assumptions about the disappointed group. First they accuse us of hating the series because they think we're nostalgic and just want the old characters, and then they don't understand why we don't love the nostalgic scenes (like Ed and Norma), even though we've explained again and again that our disappointment with the show hasn't anything to do with nostalgia. And these lovers don't make sense at all, when they first say they are so glad that the new series is new and not nostalgic, but as soon as something nostalgic happens, they are completely over the moon.
Then they tell us, wanting the original Cooper back is an impossible and stupid wish, because Cooper must have changed after 25 years, and they criticize us for wanting that, even though most of us didn't expect the same Cooper and only wanted a functioning Cooper (besides, I mostly hated Dougie because the storyline sucked, not because of the character). But now we got the same old Cooper back and they love it despite previously claiming it would be stupid. But the disappointed group is the one that doesn't make sense? Why should we love having Cooper back if his storyline is still not good and just as dragging as the Dougie storyline?

It's just annoying that those people don't even try to understand what people dislike about the show or read our posts. They come across as very prejudiced, saying people here just hate the show because they want to hate it, which isn't true at all.

Edit:
It's also very annoying that a lot of those people who love the show are only lecturing us about disliking the things that they love because how dare we dislike something that they find great? A few of the disappointed people around here have sometimes mentioned things they like about the show, but for some reasons these posts have been ignored by the lecturing lovers. Maybe because that were scenes they didn't like themselves? I was attacked because I supposedly hated the show for not being what I expected, even though I had stated a couple of times that I loved some of the unexpected stuff (like Audrey). It seems like some people only read what they want to read and ignore everything else that doesn't add up with their prejudiced opinions. So yeah, these kind of invasions bother us. I don't mind discussions with people who love the show and reading a different perspective on a scene that I disliked, but I do mind condescending, lecturing, hypocritical or insulting posts.
Last edited by Dreamy Audrey on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlsstwrt
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby mlsstwrt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 am

And honestly, sorry but real Coop is important but he was only one part of what made the show great. The town itself was entirely missing from this episode. But it's not even just that, it's more like the ONLY good thing about this episode was real Coop re-emerging. It conjured up strong feelings only because we have had 15 episodes without him. Well in the original we had real Coop from the Pilot and we had a lot more beside. The best thing (IMO the only stand out thing) about this episode was a character that we had in every episode of the original.

So, yeah, sorry but don't expect us to turn around after 15 episodes and be all, 'Praise Lynch!' Plus as I and a couple of people have pointed out, there's a level of hypocrisy here. The same fans that decried our nostalgic tastes are in rapture because we have a missing piece from the original series back.

Edit: DreamyAudrey - yeah you think they would be busy celebrating this masterpiece instead of clogging up this thread but hey ho.

Yaxomoxay: I loved the C64, lol. I honestly got more enjoyment from the games on that than I do on a PS4. But maybe that's to do with being a kid there. And maybe that's why I love the original so much more than I do TPTR. No, it's not. Well maybe a bit ;-)
User avatar
Here Comes That Bob
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:03 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Here Comes That Bob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 am

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:Fans constantly hijacking this thread to express bafflement over the sentiments of a dissapointed crowd is getting really tiresome.


You endured through Dougie... you can certainly endure our constant invasion ;)


But it's really annoying when those people always make wrong assumptions about the disappointed group. First they accuse us of hating the series because they think we're nostalgic and just want the old characters, and then they don't understand why we don't love the nostalgic scenes (like Ed and Norma), even though we've explained again and again that our disappointment with the show hasn't anything to do with nostalgia. And these lovers don't make sense at all, when they first say they are so glad that the new series is new and not nostalgic, but as soon as something nostalgic happens, they are completely over the moon.
Then they tell us, wanting the original Cooper back is an impossible and stupid wish, because Cooper must have changed after 25 years, and they criticize us for wanting that, even though most of us didn't expect the same Cooper and only wanted a functioning Cooper (besides, I mostly hated Dougie because the storyline sucked, not because of the character). But now we got the same old Cooper back and they love it despite previously claiming it would be stupid. But the disappointed group is the one that doesn't make sense? Why should we love having Cooper back if his storyline is still not good and just as dragging as the Dougie storyline?

It's just annoying that those people don't even try to understand what people dislike about the show or read our posts. They come across as very prejudiced, saying people here just hate the show because they want to hate it, which isn't true at all.

Edit:
It's also very annoying that a lot of those people who love the show are only lecturing us about disliking the things that they love because how dare we dislike something that they find great? A few of the disappointed people around here have sometimes mentioned things they like about the show, but for some reasons these posts have been ignored by the lecturing lovers. Maybe because that were scenes they didn't like themselves? I was attacked because I supposedly hated the show for not being what I expected, even though I had stated a couple of times that I loved some of the unexpected stuff (like Audrey). It seems like some people only read what they want to read and ignore everything else that doesn't add up with their prejudiced opinions. So yeah, these kind of invasions bother us. I don't mind discussions with people who love the show and reading a different perspective on a scene that I disliked, but I do mind condescending, lecturing, hypocritical or insulting posts.


To add up to your post, saying that we are hating the show because we want to hate it is honestly just plain idiotic. I can't imagine anyone wanting to love this show than a devoted community on this forum.
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby yaxomoxay » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:19 am

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:Fans constantly hijacking this thread to express bafflement over the sentiments of a dissapointed crowd is getting really tiresome.


You endured through Dougie... you can certainly endure our constant invasion ;)


But it's really annoying when those people always make wrong assumptions about the disappointed group. First they accuse us of hating the series because they think we're nostalgic and just want the old characters, and then they don't understand why we don't love the nostalgic scenes (like Ed and Norma), even though we've explained again and again that our disappointment with the show hasn't anything to do with nostalgia. And these lovers don't make sense at all, when they first say they are so glad that the new series is new and not nostalgic, but as soon as something nostalgic happens, they are completely over the moon.
Then they tell us, wanting the original Cooper back is an impossible and stupid wish, because Cooper must have changed after 25 years, and they criticize us for wanting that, even though most of us didn't expect the same Cooper and only wanted a functioning Cooper (besides, I mostly hated Dougie because the storyline sucked, not because of the character). But now we got the same old Cooper back and they love it despite previously claiming it would be stupid. But the disappointed group is the one that doesn't make sense? Why should we love having Cooper back if his storyline is still not good and just as dragging as the Dougie storyline?

It's just annoying that those people don't even try to understand what people dislike about the show or read our posts. They come across as very prejudiced, saying people here just hate the show because they want to hate it, which isn't true at all.

Edit:
It's also very annoying that a lot of those people who love the show are only lecturing us about disliking the things that they love because how dare we dislike something that they find great? A few of the disappointed people around here have sometimes mentioned things they like about the show, but for some reasons these posts have been ignored by the lecturing lovers. Maybe because that were scenes they didn't like themselves? I was attacked because I supposedly hated the show for not being what I expected, even though I had stated a couple of times that I loved some of the unexpected stuff (like Audrey). It seems like some people only read what they want to read and ignore everything else that doesn't add up with their prejudiced opinions. So yeah, these kind of invasions bother us. I don't mind discussions with people who love the show and reading a different perspective on a scene that I disliked, but I do mind condescending, lecturing, hypocritical or insulting posts.


Personally I am not accusing anyone of anything. This is simply THE best thread on TP:TR right now. Hands down a victory for the op.
You don't like TP:TR, while I do. Not a big deal, I would still drink a beer with any of you guys ;)

However, this is still a thread on a forum and I find somewhat silly that another perspective can't be included as long as it's respectful. Although I have seen some users coming here to troll, some are actually here to hear your voice. But I can't hear your voice unless I make mine known at least to a certain level. For example I agree with many of you about Chantal and Hutch and I feel that without this group I would've never cared for them. Thanks to this group I can see that they were somewhat of a wasted opportunity. Are they the most horrible thing in the history of tv? No. However the only thing I like about them is that they were murdered by a distressed Polish accountant.
I also truly admire most if not all of you for enduring with a show you don't like. I would never do that, Twin Peaks or not.

At any rate, I don't think that asking people like me to shut up is the best way to carry on a thread. Saying "you're wrong" (which is NOT what I am saying but it's an example to carry the meaning) is still on topic, and it adds some flair.
In any case, after next week I will probably stop visiting this beautiful thread. I feel that I won't have much to add to the thread, or to my own knowledge, after I read the last comments on the last episode.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by yaxomoxay on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Bookworm » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:19 am

mlsstwrt wrote:So, yeah, sorry but don't expect us to turn around after 15 episodes and be all, 'Praise Lynch!' Plus as I and a couple of people have pointed out, there's a level of hypocrisy here. The same fans that decried our nostalgic tastes are in rapture because we have a missing piece from the original series back.

Edit: DreamyAudrey - yeah you think they would be busy celebrating this masterpiece instead of clogging up this thread but hey ho.

Yaxomoxay: I loved the C64, lol. I honestly got more enjoyment from the games on that than I do on a PS4. But maybe that's to do with being a kid there. And maybe that's why I love the original so much more than I do TPTR. No, it's not. Well maybe a bit ;-)


I agree. Too little too late. Everyone on Imdb are saying they were crying and sheering. Not me. It left me cold. Honestly I even yawned a few time. Granted it was quite early in the morning but still. I'm sorry but for me that whole season was Lynch doing some Lynch. Absurd for the absurd and weird for weird. Disjointed plot and never-ending useless scene. And five to 10 minutes lost in the end with those useless musical pieces at the Road House.
mlsstwrt
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby mlsstwrt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:22 am

Here Comes That Bob wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
You endured through Dougie... you can certainly endure our constant invasion ;)


But it's really annoying when those people always make wrong assumptions about the disappointed group. First they accuse us of hating the series because they think we're nostalgic and just want the old characters, and then they don't understand why we don't love the nostalgic scenes (like Ed and Norma), even though we've explained again and again that our disappointment with the show hasn't anything to do with nostalgia. And these lovers don't make sense at all, when they first say they are so glad that the new series is new and not nostalgic, but as soon as something nostalgic happens, they are completely over the moon.
Then they tell us, wanting the original Cooper back is an impossible and stupid wish, because Cooper must have changed after 25 years, and they criticize us for wanting that, even though most of us didn't expect the same Cooper and only wanted a functioning Cooper (besides, I mostly hated Dougie because the storyline sucked, not because of the character). But now we got the same old Cooper back and they love it despite previously claiming it would be stupid. But the disappointed group is the one that doesn't make sense? Why should we love having Cooper back if his storyline is still not good and just as dragging as the Dougie storyline?

It's just annoying that those people don't even try to understand what people dislike about the show or read our posts. They come across as very prejudiced, saying people here just hate the show because they want to hate it, which isn't true at all.

Edit:
It's also very annoying that a lot of those people who love the show are only lecturing us about disliking the things that they love because how dare we dislike something that they find great? A few of the disappointed people around here have sometimes mentioned things they like about the show, but for some reasons these posts have been ignored by the lecturing lovers. Maybe because that were scenes they didn't like themselves? I was attacked because I supposedly hated the show for not being what I expected, even though I had stated a couple of times that I loved some of the unexpected stuff (like Audrey). It seems like some people only read what they want to read and ignore everything else that doesn't add up with their prejudiced opinions. So yeah, these kind of invasions bother us. I don't mind discussions with people who love the show and reading a different perspective on a scene that I disliked, but I do mind condescending, lecturing, hypocritical or insulting posts.


To add up to your post, saying that we are hating the show because we want to hate it is honestly just plain idiotic. I can't imagine anyone wanting to love this show than a devoted community on this forum.


That's the thing. People who have found their way here (and have join dates going back years) are probably not casual TP fans. Why the hell would we want to hate this?

I enjoyed watching the last episode. I didn't think it was great but I enjoyed it. The thing that strikes me though is it had, through Cooper, this real sense of purpose and building towards a climax. But what is the climax? That is to be revealed, you may say. But I think maybe it's important that we DO have some sense of what this is building towards, otherwise it's hard to be invested. The showdown between good Coop and evil Coop probably doesn't do it for me. I hope to God Green Glove Boy won't be involved.

This sense of building towards something doesn't really compare, for me, to the original when Coop was on the verge of figuring out who killed Laura. I'm just not particularly emotionally invested.

Also the dispensability of certain characters was laughable. Diane shot. Good. Richard vaporised. Meh. Tim Roth and Jennifer Jason Leigh (?) killed. About time. There hasn't been one death in this that has had any kind of emotional impact.
mlsstwrt
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby mlsstwrt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:24 am

Bookworm wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:So, yeah, sorry but don't expect us to turn around after 15 episodes and be all, 'Praise Lynch!' Plus as I and a couple of people have pointed out, there's a level of hypocrisy here. The same fans that decried our nostalgic tastes are in rapture because we have a missing piece from the original series back.

Edit: DreamyAudrey - yeah you think they would be busy celebrating this masterpiece instead of clogging up this thread but hey ho.

Yaxomoxay: I loved the C64, lol. I honestly got more enjoyment from the games on that than I do on a PS4. But maybe that's to do with being a kid there. And maybe that's why I love the original so much more than I do TPTR. No, it's not. Well maybe a bit ;-)


I agree. Too little too late. Everyone on Imdb are saying they were crying and sheering. Not me. It left me cold. Honestly I even yawned a few time. Granted it was quite early in the morning but still. I'm sorry but for me that whole season was Lynch doing some Lynch. Absurd for the absurd and weird for weird. Disjointed plot and never-ending useless scene. And five to 10 minutes lost in the end with those useless musical pieces at the Road House.


Yeah was hoping Vedder would go full 'Turn Out the Lights..... Josh!!!' mode. But clearly the life has gone out of him along with everybody else, lol.
anthoto1
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby anthoto1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:26 am

Haters gonna hate. :lol:

This episode is receiving universal acclaim. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion but if you've decided that you'll hate this show no matter what, no chance you can enjoy it anymore at this point.
Last edited by anthoto1 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
waferwhitemilk
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:18 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby waferwhitemilk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:27 am

Any hope for a very smart and unexpected resolution that would blow me away and transform my 15 hours of boredom, irritation and frankly: cringe into solid gold after all definitely out the window.. the use of the old music felt tacked on and a joke. Can't stand Eddie Vedder and why did he have some different name? Chantal on the rag.. uziguy.. electricity.. Audrey's dance (announced for all the fans!!) It's just all been a sequence of adhoc do-as-you-pleases, hasn't it. Very lazy, low effort.
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby yaxomoxay » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:29 am

waferwhitemilk wrote:Any hope for a very smart and unexpected resolution that would blow me away and transform my 15 hours of boredom, irritation and frankly: cringe into solid gold after all definitely out the window.. the use of the old music felt tacked on and a joke. Can't stand Eddie Vedder and why did he have some different name? Chantal on the rag.. uziguy.. electricity.. Audrey's dance (announced for all the fans!!) It's just all been a sequence of adhoc do-as-you-pleases, hasn't it. Very lazy, low effort.


I thought they used Vedder's real name. Not sure, not a fan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests