Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by anthoto1 »

waferwhitemilk wrote:Any hope for a very smart and unexpected resolution that would blow me away and transform my 15 hours of boredom, irritation and frankly: cringe into solid gold after all definitely out the window.. the use of the old music felt tacked on and a joke. Can't stand Eddie Vedder and why did he have some different name? Chantal on the rag.. uziguy.. electricity.. Audrey's dance (announced for all the fans!!) It's just all been a sequence of adhoc do-as-you-pleases, hasn't it. Very lazy, low effort.
Good illustration of what I was just saying : unfaire subective criticism. There's no point in watching a show when questioning ALL of its artistic choice. At this point, you would have had better cool off, take a break and see the whole thing later.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I have yet to see it. Tonight. What about 4:30, Richard and Linda, two birds with one stone? From what I gathered here, it will take at least two stones. Did we find who Tina is? And Billy? Was Red in it? And Chip?
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

anthoto1 wrote:
waferwhitemilk wrote:Any hope for a very smart and unexpected resolution that would blow me away and transform my 15 hours of boredom, irritation and frankly: cringe into solid gold after all definitely out the window.. the use of the old music felt tacked on and a joke. Can't stand Eddie Vedder and why did he have some different name? Chantal on the rag.. uziguy.. electricity.. Audrey's dance (announced for all the fans!!) It's just all been a sequence of adhoc do-as-you-pleases, hasn't it. Very lazy, low effort.
Good illustration of what I was just saying : unfaire subective criticism. There's no point in watching a show when questioning ALL of its artistic choice. At this point, you would have had better cool off, take a break and see the whole thing later.
I love the show but this comment is unfair.
This person probably spent 25 years watching and studying TP. I don't think it's fair to complain about the fact that he doesn't like it yet he still wants to analyze it.
Many here are way involved in this show, you can't ask them not to watch just because they don't like this update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

I think Billy is just meant to be a throwback to Billy Zane, just like her dance.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

boske wrote:I have yet to see it. Tonight. What about 4:30, Richard and Linda, two birds with one stone? From what I gathered here, it will take at least two stones. Did we find who Tina is? And Billy? Was Red in it? And Chip?
Just watch it and don't spoil it man!!!! ;)

mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

anthoto1 wrote:Haters gonna hate. :lol:

This episode is receiving universal acclaim. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion but if you've decided that you'll hate this show no matter what, no chance you can enjoy it anymore at this point.
I wouldn't expect someone saying 'Haters gonna hate' to understand what 'universal' means. I think you meant 'widespread'.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mlsstwrt wrote:
anthoto1 wrote:Haters gonna hate. :lol:

This episode is receiving universal acclaim. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion but if you've decided that you'll hate this show no matter what, no chance you can enjoy it anymore at this point.
I wouldn't expect someone saying 'Haters gonna hate' to understand what 'universal' means. I think you meant 'widespread'.
Universal:

boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

yaxomoxay wrote:
boske wrote:I have yet to see it. Tonight. What about 4:30, Richard and Linda, two birds with one stone? From what I gathered here, it will take at least two stones. Did we find who Tina is? And Billy? Was Red in it? And Chip?
Just watch it and don't spoil it man!!!! ;)
Fair enough! Will be back once I've seen it... ;-)
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
You endured through Dougie... you can certainly endure our constant invasion ;)
But it's really annoying when those people always make wrong assumptions about the disappointed group. First they accuse us of hating the series because they think we're nostalgic and just want the old characters, and then they don't understand why we don't love the nostalgic scenes (like Ed and Norma), even though we've explained again and again that our disappointment with the show hasn't anything to do with nostalgia. And these lovers don't make sense at all, when they first say they are so glad that the new series is new and not nostalgic, but as soon as something nostalgic happens, they are completely over the moon.
Then they tell us, wanting the original Cooper back is an impossible and stupid wish, because Cooper must have changed after 25 years, and they criticize us for wanting that, even though most of us didn't expect the same Cooper and only wanted a functioning Cooper (besides, I mostly hated Dougie because the storyline sucked, not because of the character). But now we got the same old Cooper back and they love it despite previously claiming it would be stupid. But the disappointed group is the one that doesn't make sense? Why should we love having Cooper back if his storyline is still not good and just as dragging as the Dougie storyline?

It's just annoying that those people don't even try to understand what people dislike about the show or read our posts. They come across as very prejudiced, saying people here just hate the show because they want to hate it, which isn't true at all.

Edit:
It's also very annoying that a lot of those people who love the show are only lecturing us about disliking the things that they love because how dare we dislike something that they find great? A few of the disappointed people around here have sometimes mentioned things they like about the show, but for some reasons these posts have been ignored by the lecturing lovers. Maybe because that were scenes they didn't like themselves? I was attacked because I supposedly hated the show for not being what I expected, even though I had stated a couple of times that I loved some of the unexpected stuff (like Audrey). It seems like some people only read what they want to read and ignore everything else that doesn't add up with their prejudiced opinions. So yeah, these kind of invasions bother us. I don't mind discussions with people who love the show and reading a different perspective on a scene that I disliked, but I do mind condescending, lecturing, hypocritical or insulting posts.
Personally I am not accusing anyone of anything. This is simply THE best thread on TP:TR right now. Hands down a victory for the op.
You don't like TP:TR, while I do. Not a big deal, I would still drink a beer with any of you guys ;)

However, this is still a thread on a forum and I find somewhat silly that another perspective can't be included as long as it's respectful. Although I have seen some users coming here to troll, some are actually here to hear your voice. But I can't hear your voice unless I make mine known at least to a certain level. For example I agree with many of you about Chantal and Hutch and I feel that without this group I would've never cared for them. Thanks to this group I can see that they were somewhat of a wasted opportunity. Are they the most horrible thing in the history of tv? No. However the only thing I like about them is that they were murdered by a distressed Polish accountant.
I also truly admire most if not all of you for enduring with a show you don't like. I would never do that, Twin Peaks or not.

At any rate, I don't think that asking people like me to shut up is the best way to carry on a thread. Saying "you're wrong" (which is NOT what I am saying but it's an example to carry the meaning) is still on topic, and it adds some flair.
In any case, after next week I will probably stop visiting this beautiful thread. I feel that I won't have much to add to the thread, or to my own knowledge, after I read the last comments on the last episode.

My post wasn't about you specifically, it was about the condescending people. I wasn't trying to tell you to shut up. As I said, I don't mind reading different opinions about the show, as long as it's respectful. I'm more in the "mixed" than "completely dislike" group anyway, I just like coming to this thread because a lot of people here have expressed similar feelings about things that I dislike in the show, so I sometimes feel more welcome here than in the other threads.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Yeah Yaxomoxay you've been great. From my point of view comments are directed more towards the 'Haters gonna hate' trolls. But also occasionally to Needleman and Mtwentz (although they've been pretty reasonable at times too).
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

judasbooth wrote:Random prediction for next week's finale: One-Armed Man manufactures Dougie 2.0 and sends him to live happily ever after with Janey-E and Sonny Jim. Cooper finds Laura Palmer and brings her back to life (because, fuck it, any concessions to plausibility were thrown out long ago) thereby undermining the whole reason for the whole show existing in the first place. I mean, why care about the life and death of Laura Palmer when nobody in this world ever really dies?
For the record, my prediction is this: we go back to NYC, and Sam and Tracey. They sip their coffee and all of a sudden a large cherry pie materializes inside of the glass box. They look at each other, and the missing security guard comes in with some silverware, and they each happily get a slice of the pie.
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

yaxomoxay wrote:
anthoto1 wrote:
This person probably spent 25 years watching and studying TP. I don't think it's fair to complain about the fact that he doesn't like it yet he still wants to analyze it.
Many here are way involved in this show, you can't ask them not to watch just because they don't like this update.

Except you're not going to enjoy a show if you're not in the mood for it. When one criticizes basically every artistic choice or plot development, there are two alternatives : whether the show is objectively yrev, very bad, which is not the case hereor the viewer has chosen that he hated the whole show based on it not matching his/her expectations. Unless it's backed up by real analysis and not by peremptory opinions, I'll feel free to call this "hating". :wink:
depechehenke

Post by depechehenke »

I think laziness pretty much sums up this show. Sloppy dialogue and pointless build-ups followed by even more pointless resolutions (if they even are bothered with).
No, it all feels very lazy which I guess often happen to artists when they have past their prime. No need to push the envelope any further since you already have made your
artistic mark and has nothing left to prove.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

anthoto1 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
anthoto1 wrote:

Except you're not going to enjoy a show if you're not in the mood for it. When one criticizes basically every artistic choice or plot development, there are two alternatives : whether the show is objectively yrev, very bad, which is not the case hereor the viewer has chosen that he hated the whole show based on it not matching his/her expectations. Unless it's backed up by real analysis and not by peremptory opinions, I'll feel free to call this "hating". :wink:
Ok this is better than 'haters gonna hate' at least.

It's just not true, at least it's not true for me. There is actually quite a lot of real, concrete (as far as possible with something of this nature) analysis as to why this isn't working for people. I will admit that my anticipation each week for TPTR is different to when I watched the original. I'm maybe not 'in the mood' for it but that's because TPTR has been bad (in my view) for 15 episodes. Am I less receptive to greatness than I might be? Possibly. But I don't think to the point where I'm only going to see the bad and not the good. In this Series we say four characters die. Four characters that have been with us for many episodes. And it meant nothing. Not only did their deaths mean nothing but there was no reason to spend time with them in the first place (the two are tied together of course) Isn't that a valid criticism?
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

mlsstwrt wrote:Audrey's dance made me sad. So beguiling in the original... couldn't help but laugh now. Sorry.
Oh no he di'int! lol
squealy wrote:
Candie wrote: Someone else corrected me on that recently. Sure would have been nice if we'd ever seen them interacting with the rest of the Vegas cast, outside their office, or had any indication through set design that their offices were in fact in Vegas.
I thought the floor to ceiling windows behind him, through which you could clearly see Las Vegas, were a pretty big clue.
And then Hutch and Chantal kill him and Vegas is in their background while she's eating the fries w/ ketchup she talks about on the phone while leaving his office.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03