Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

The 'zombie' scene was supposed to be indicative of how out-of-sorts and strange the town had become in recent years but I don't see it TBH. You need more than that and a few visual glitches. If 119 woman had lived at the trailer park and maybe a couple of other scenes had been included then maybe, but one instance of oddness doesn't build a convincing case.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

douglasb wrote:The 'zombie' scene was supposed to be indicative of how out-of-sorts and strange the town had become in recent years but I don't see it TBH. You need more than that and a few visual glitches. If 119 woman had lived at the trailer park and maybe a couple of other scenes had been included then maybe, but one instance of oddness doesn't build a convincing case.
I think 119 mom has served another purpose: 119 being a mirror opposite of 911 may have been intended for another wild goose chase, which is having us think that the world that Dale got transferred into was completely manufactured, not just Dougie. Once that room #315 key made its way to Twin Peaks and the Greate Northern, this assertion obviously no longer made any sense and we did not get to see 119 mom again either.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

boske wrote:
douglasb wrote:The 'zombie' scene was supposed to be indicative of how out-of-sorts and strange the town had become in recent years but I don't see it TBH. You need more than that and a few visual glitches. If 119 woman had lived at the trailer park and maybe a couple of other scenes had been included then maybe, but one instance of oddness doesn't build a convincing case.
I think 119 mom has served another purpose: 119 being a mirror opposite of 911 may have been intended for another wild goose chase, which is having us think that the world that Dale got transferred into was completely manufactured, not just Dougie. Once that room #315 key made its way to Twin Peaks and the Greate Northern, this assertion obviously no longer made any sense and we did not get to see 119 mom again either.
119 is also 315 in heximal base! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

yaxomoxay wrote:
boske wrote:
As LMFAP would say "Wrong way!" You ran into an engineer here, this "heximal" mind trick did not work on me :lol: (heximal is now what, base 6?)
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

boske wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
boske wrote: I think 119 mom has served another purpose: 119 being a mirror opposite of 911 may have been intended for another wild goose chase, which is having us think that the world that Dale got transferred into was completely manufactured, not just Dougie. Once that room #315 key made its way to Twin Peaks and the Greate Northern, this assertion obviously no longer made any sense and we did not get to see 119 mom again either.
As LMFAP would say "Wrong way!" You ran into an engineer here, this "heximal" mind trick did not work on me :lol: (heximal is now what, base 6?)
Ahahhaah :) yeah, heximal is base 6 :)

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:
Not sure The Girl Next Door is one to look forward to, mind. :cry: It's well-written, and cleverly structured to maximise the sadness, but boy it's horrific. Reading it did at least reassure me that I hadn't become too jaded.

The same goes for the movie adaptation from 2007 - I have trouble recalling such profound sense of sadness and horror in connection to another motion picture like I experienced with that movie. Coming from someone who's seen more horror films than he can count in the preceding three decades, that's saying something. And it makes my hair stand on end when I think the underlying motive actually comes from a true story. Jesus wept!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Side note: I was profoundly disappointed with Mad Men and Breaking Bad because as well crafted as they were, I hated the main characters in both -- absolutely despised them as people -- so being able to care about them and stay invested in what was happening became impossible for me. I never discussed this with anyone, and never joined any forums to express it online. Once they were over, I moved on and never thought about them again.
This is a VERY curios stance, to say the least. If you don't mind me asking, what is your attitude towards the protagonist of The Sopranos and, by extension, the show itself?
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote: Thanks for the recommendation, sylvia. Have you read The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum? A few years back I working my way through recommendations from the Guardian's 'What Are The Most Disturbing Novels?' thread and becoming a little concerned because I wasn't finding them that disturbing. Then I read The Girl Next Door. Judging by your posts on the gender thread, I'm not sure you'd like it, but it is undoubtedly hardcore.
I read a lot of splatter in high school, grew out of the gross out stuff, numbed my brain. My complaints with Ketchum, Edward Lee etc. is that they're just not good writers. What humans to do each other is more horrifying than fiction anyway. I think from the point of view of someone who knows it's easy to get sucked into exploitation as entertainment I'm better informed to talk critically about it, how it serves and doesn't serve the culture, how the culture sees itself. I spent a lot of time in the gutter to have a critical worldview.
Last edited by sylvia_north on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Agent Earle wrote:
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:
Not sure The Girl Next Door is one to look forward to, mind. :cry: It's well-written, and cleverly structured to maximise the sadness, but boy it's horrific. Reading it did at least reassure me that I hadn't become too jaded.

The same goes for the movie adaptation from 2007 - I have trouble recalling such profound sense of sadness and horror in connection to another motion picture like I experienced with that movie. Coming from someone who's seen more horror films than he can count in the preceding three decades, that's saying something. And it makes my hair stand on end when I think the underlying motive actually comes from a true story. Jesus wept!
I guess I have to watch it now.
As for craziness, A Serbian Film gets the cake... I strongly suggest people NOT to watch it.
As for sadness, or for melancholy, I often suggest Let The Right One In.
Honorable mentions for The Babadook (very ingenious), Don't Breathe (entertaining), It Follows (a good take on an older plot device), The Invitation (suspence building at its best), Hush (if you like the Mike Myers movies this is a nice twist on the concept).
And, of course, Tucker and Dale vs Evil ;)

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Gabriel wrote: I dunno... it was more complex than that for me. My feelings for Walt drifted between liking him, sympathising with him, understanding him while disagreeing with him, all the way through to disgust and revulsion, yet still caring about him at the bitter end. It's what made the show so intriguing.

Perhaps, having a self-destructive streak myself, I find self-destructive characters interesting...
My feelings to a T! Along with self-destructiveness, of course :)
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

yaxomoxay wrote:As for craziness, A Serbian Film gets the cake...
That movie's political message was powerful, super smart film. Went over a lot of people's heads but that's horror done right.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

Venus wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Bookworm wrote:A story where Cooper would have to track his doppelganger and try to stop him. One where he would have to slowly understand that hate and anger wouldn't help but acceptance and goodness. One where Cooper finally don't fight and kill his doppel but largely open his arms and welcome him home.
I hear you, and have been suspecting that this may end up being the solution. Unless the Doppelganger really is just an evil being that happens to look like Cooper (please say it ain't so), then it actually is Cooper -- or "another Cooper" if you will -- and killing him could never be the answer.

Also agree that this conflict should have been initiated sooner than Part 17.
So in effect it'll be a fight like this (minus the superman costume and Clark Kent glasses).
By this point I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Freddy sucker punch Mr.C, sending him right back in the Black Lodge or whatever the red room is. Totally lame and stupid, but not unexpected. What would be funny would be for Cooper to fly to Twin Peaks, but the plane have technical issue and they are forced to land somewhere, cue a very long scene of technicians fixing the plane. Then finally when Cooper make it to the town, Truman and Co have already solved everything. Then we see Cooper sitting in the RR enjoying a piece of pie and a damn good coffee while in the Road House Julie Cruise sang for the first and last time. Starring Kyle Machlachlan.

Bitter, me? Never.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

yaxomoxay wrote:
boske wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Ahahhaah :) yeah, heximal is base 6 :)

Omg all I can hear is Charlie Brown's teacher when you write this
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

sylvia_north wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:As for craziness, A Serbian Film gets the cake...
That movie's political message was powerful, super smart film. Went over a lot of people's heads but that's horror done right.
Oh smart is smart, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I wouldn't call the new season a masterpiece. But I also don't think you can compare the online response to The Sopranos to what's happening on this board. When that show ended 11 years ago, the ability to use the Internet on smartphones was very limited, expensive and slow. Now, I can type a post at work, on the subway, while walking, whereas in 2006 my theoretical board-browsing time probably was confined to a short period at night. I'm sure I personally am far more prolific than I was then.
The Sopranos ended in 2007. Just sayin' :)