Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Agent Earle »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:
Not sure The Girl Next Door is one to look forward to, mind. :cry: It's well-written, and cleverly structured to maximise the sadness, but boy it's horrific. Reading it did at least reassure me that I hadn't become too jaded.

The same goes for the movie adaptation from 2007 - I have trouble recalling such profound sense of sadness and horror in connection to another motion picture like I experienced with that movie. Coming from someone who's seen more horror films than he can count in the preceding three decades, that's saying something. And it makes my hair stand on end when I think the underlying motive actually comes from a true story. Jesus wept!
I guess I have to watch it now.
As for craziness, A Serbian Film gets the cake... I strongly suggest people NOT to watch it.
As for sadness, or for melancholy, I often suggest Let The Right One In.
Honorable mentions for The Babadook (very ingenious), Don't Breathe (entertaining), It Follows (a good take on an older plot device), The Invitation (suspence building at its best), Hush (if you like the Mike Myers movies this is a nice twist on the concept).
And, of course, Tucker and Dale vs Evil ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Out of the flicks you mention, I've seen Let The Right One In (the original) and The Babadook and thought both were/are pretty overrated, The Babadook most especially (it makes me furious they couldn't decide which version of the story is the truth, the supernatural or the non-supernatural one - that they put their money on both at the end totally invalidates the preceding movie, in my view).

Others I have not seen but are on my To Definitely Watch ASAP list for some time (though I quiver at what can be expected from A Serbian Film /made by my former compatriots, no less!/ after all the things I've heard about it) :)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

sylvia_north wrote:
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote: Thanks for the recommendation, sylvia. Have you read The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum? A few years back I working my way through recommendations from the Guardian's 'What Are The Most Disturbing Novels?' thread and becoming a little concerned because I wasn't finding them that disturbing. Then I read The Girl Next Door. Judging by your posts on the gender thread, I'm not sure you'd like it, but it is undoubtedly hardcore.
I read a lot of splatter in high school, grew out of the gross out stuff, numbed my brain. My complaints with Ketchum, Edward Lee etc. is that they're just not good writers. What humans to do each other is more horrifying than fiction anyway. I think from the point of view of someone who knows it's easy to get sucked into exploitation as entertainment I'm better informed to talk critically about it, how it serves and doesn't serve the culture, how the culture sees itself. I spent a lot of time in the gutter to have a critical worldview.
I can't say anything about Ketchum's writing one way or the other as I haven't yet read anything of his (must correct it someday). The movie adaptations of his work, however, are all excellent - some of the best horror movies around for sure: The Lost, The Girl Next Door, Red, Offspring, The Women ... I have a hard time deciding which one is the best.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Agent Earle wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

The same goes for the movie adaptation from 2007 - I have trouble recalling such profound sense of sadness and horror in connection to another motion picture like I experienced with that movie. Coming from someone who's seen more horror films than he can count in the preceding three decades, that's saying something. And it makes my hair stand on end when I think the underlying motive actually comes from a true story. Jesus wept!
As for craziness, A Serbian Film gets the cake... I strongly suggest people NOT to watch it.
Honorable mentions for The Babadook (very ingenious), Don't Breathe (entertaining), It Follows (a good take on an older plot device), The Invitation (suspence building at its best), Hush (if you like the Mike Myers movies this is a nice twist on the concept).

Out of the flicks you mention, I've seen Let The Right One In (the original) and The Babadook and thought both were/are pretty overrated, The Babadook most especially (it makes me furious they couldn't decide which version of the story is the truth, the supernatural or the non-supernatural one - that they put their money on both at the end totally invalidates the preceding movie, in my view).

Others I have not seen but are on my To Definitely Watch ASAP list for some time (though I quiver at what can be expected from A Serbian Film /made by my former compatriots, no less!/ after all the things I've heard about it) :)

Are you my evil doppelgänger or something?!? :)
Hope you enjoy the other movies I find well made (except Tucker and Dale vs Evil... fun movie, but totally idiotic!)

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

Are you my evil doppelgänger or something?!? :)
Hope you enjoy the other movies I find well made (except Tucker and Dale vs Evil... fun movie, but totally idiotic!)

If it's idiotic for a reason/intentionally, then chances are it'll wind up being quite good! You know, early Peter Jackson's stuff-like. :D
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

judasbooth wrote:The zombie child scene may well have created an impression on some people (even if, for me, it was came across as schlocky and stupid, seriously, if I had at least found it funny that would have been enough), but as I asked in my previous post, what purpose does it serve the narrative as a whole? Whose character does it develop? Would it make a blind bit of difference if it wasn't there at all? Provoking reactions in the audience is perfectly valid, but provoking a reaction for its own sake is, for me, utterly pointless. For me, simply provoking a reaction is just not enough, I'm afraid.
See, this is where I think we just accept that we're coming at the work and the critique from different angles. I can accept and respect that the scene had no impact on you, and I can see why you find it stupid. DKL's work, particularly in a scene like this, often tends to walk a line teetering dangerously on the edge of silliness, and I can see why you found the scene's over-the-top nature lame, even while I had a real visceral reaction. What I have a harder time with is your requirement that every scene serve a narrative purpose. For me, the best film IS all about "provoking a reaction." I'd rather watch a film that provokes visceral reactions in me (crying, laughter, horror, joy) than one with a great plot. Not that the two are mutually exclusive, and ideally a great film/series should have both. I love a film with a tight, brilliant narrative. But every piece doesn't need to have that for me to find it rewarding. I've referred to the style of TR as shaggy-dog storytelling elsewhere, and I love that about it. It can pause to enjoy moments of humanity, humor, and madness that don't have any particular relevance to the larger arc.

If you were to say that TP:TR is 5-6 hours of story stretched out to 3 times that length, I'd agree with you on some level. However, for me, those standalone "filler"/outlier moments and scenes are what have made this experience worthwhile, despite a "main" story that I haven't found super engaging (I think it was boske who rather aptly summed the plot up as Mr. C saying "I want those coordinates" in Parts 2-15). Should some of the standalone/shaggy-dog scenes have been saved for a deleted scenes reel? Probably. When Lost Highway came out, DKL himsef spoke about how enforced runtimes forced him to be objective when editing and ultimately improved his films. For instance, I'm thrilled we got the BV deleted scenes, but I'm so happy they're not in the main film. In an odd way, though, I'm sort of glad DKL decided to experiment with the "kitchen sink" approach this time -- and this I will freely admit is the DKL superfan/sycophant in me speaking. I said at the outset that I just wanted DKL to do whatever he wanted with the new show, and he has. It hasn't always been consistently great, or consistently anything really. It's often patchy and messy and sometimes flat-out baffling, even occasionally lazy. In a way, like you, I'm disappointed that (barring a big twist in the finale) DKL's first new work in ten years doesn't really seem to have a "grand statement" (a sort of "subconscious thesis") the way that almost all his prior films do (particularly the post-TP ones). But, accepting and reacting to the work as DKL chose to present it, it's been the scenes that don't serve a "purpose" that have made the experience wonderful for me: Dougie placing a poato chip on his kid's bed, the one-off Roadhouse slices of life, the "how are you today" bear, Steven & Gersten in the woods (a scene I disliked on first viewing but found to be an arresting claustrophobic mini-masterpiece -- there's that word! -- on rewatch).
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

mlsstwrt wrote:Brb, trying to think of some 'witty' pun on Twin Peaks: The Return but I'm just too unimaginative.
Twin Peaks: The Point of No Return
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:Brb, trying to think of some 'witty' pun on Twin Peaks: The Return but I'm just too unimaginative.
Or 'Twin Peaks: No Point in the Return'
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

With a nod to the original Prisoner episode #7: "Twin Peaks: Many (Un)happy Returns".
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Venus wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Or 'Twin Peaks: No Point in the Return'
You win.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:Irritatingly hard to dispute this, as usual with your posts, but I'll have a go. :)
Nice to know they are not clogging up the board, which I reflexively believe whenever posting.

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:If you dispute Mad Men as a masterpiece, as I dispute most of yaxomoxay's picks, can we agree on The Sopranos? Leaving aside the existence of this thread, would you agree that high-quality The Sopranos fan sites such as The Chase Lounge -- the Dugpa equivalent for that show -- never had any threads like Dugpa's individual episode threads where so many people disputed the overall quality of the show? Not just individual bits like Tony's coma dream (hmmmm...) but calling into question the entire show?
I only saw a few seasons of The Sopranos but liked what I saw. This was last year, when I dropped into one of those phases where I'd rather be creative than watch anything, and have been in that phase ever since, just enjoying the ride. I made an exception for Twin Peaks. As far as forums, this is only the second forum I've been part of, so I don't know how other shows have been discussed in their respective communities.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

cgs027 wrote:(And yes, I will come on here and eat crow if we have a long exposition scene in the last episode, Agatha Christie style, where Lucy explains how she brought down the corrupt officer when she figured out that he had taken a letter out of the mail, but unbeknownst to him it ended up being the WRONG Miriam, and she received the letter from the real Miriam the next day).
You know, that's spot on! Seems appropriate enough for the last scene of The Finale.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Agent Earle wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Side note: I was profoundly disappointed with Mad Men and Breaking Bad because as well crafted as they were, I hated the main characters in both -- absolutely despised them as people -- so being able to care about them and stay invested in what was happening became impossible for me. I never discussed this with anyone, and never joined any forums to express it online. Once they were over, I moved on and never thought about them again.
This is a VERY curios stance, to say the least. If you don't mind me asking, what is your attitude towards the protagonist of The Sopranos and, by extension, the show itself?
I really liked it, even though I only saw a few seasons. My attitude toward Tony isn't the same as Don or Walter because I feel that he's less self-aware, so to speak, but more importantly, that he's far less of a monster. I feel like Tony is on some kind of path to higher consciousness.

Spoilers of Breaking Bad & Mad Men follow. Wouldn't read until you've seen them.
Spoiler:
Don Draper was a cold monster. He shunned his own brother and that led to the brother's suicide. And he wasn't the only piece of crap that devalued the people around him, there were plenty of them. Waiting for this guy to become a better person was trying. It never happened so I couldn't invest much.

Walter White became a machine that only cared about being on top. Everyone who had the misfortune of coming into contact with him regretted it and paid a huge price. He ruined his family, destroyed lives, and brought death to good people. I could not care about him and wondered what the point of it all was.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Bookworm wrote:By this point I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Freddy sucker punch Mr.C, sending him right back in the Black Lodge or whatever the red room is. Totally lame and stupid, but not unexpected. What would be funny would be for Cooper to fly to Twin Peaks, but the plane have technical issue and they are forced to land somewhere, cue a very long scene of technicians fixing the plane. Then finally when Cooper make it to the town, Truman and Co have already solved everything. Then we see Cooper sitting in the RR enjoying a piece of pie and a damn good coffee while in the Road House Julie Cruise sang for the first and last time. Starring Kyle Machlachlan.

Bitter, me? Never.
I'm on board. Can we do it like this?

Part 17

10 min. Log Lady recap of "The Story So Far"
01 min. Flight to Twin Peaks
01 min. In-flight Issues
10 min. Gordon Cole seminar on the History of Flight
10 min. Technicians fix the Plane
03 min. Cooper returns to Twin Peaks
05 min. Nadine shoveling shit
05 min. Gerard doing one armed push ups
05 min. Ben Horne eating a carrot
10 min. Harry's Hot Night at One Eyed Jacks

Part 18

10 min. Gersten Hayward tour of Twin Peaks Architecture (accompanied by solo piano)
01 min. Truman & Company tell their story
03 min. Andy tells his version
10 min. Lucy tells her version
01 min. Cooper in the RR
10 min. Jerry Horne's "Pointless of the Poems" Roadhouse Recital
10 min. Dr. Jacoby Roadhouse Rant
05 min. Julee Cruise Roadhouse Performance / End Credits
10 min. Sweeping the Roadhouse
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Side note: I was profoundly disappointed with Mad Men and Breaking Bad because as well crafted as they were, I hated the main characters in both -- absolutely despised them as people -- so being able to care about them and stay invested in what was happening became impossible for me. I never discussed this with anyone, and never joined any forums to express it online. Once they were over, I moved on and never thought about them again.
This is a VERY curios stance, to say the least. If you don't mind me asking, what is your attitude towards the protagonist of The Sopranos and, by extension, the show itself?
I really liked it, even though I only saw a few seasons. My attitude toward Tony isn't the same as Don or Walter because I feel that he's less self-aware, so to speak, but more importantly, that he's far less of a monster. I feel like Tony is on some kind of path to higher consciousness.

Spoilers of Breaking Bad & Mad Men follow. Wouldn't read until you've seen them.
Spoiler:
Don Draper was a cold monster. He shunned his own brother and that led to the brother's suicide. And he wasn't the only piece of crap that devalued the people around him, there were plenty of them. Waiting for this guy to become a better person was trying. It never happened so I couldn't invest much.

Walter White became a machine that only cared about being on top. Everyone who had the misfortune of coming into contact with him regretted it and paid a huge price. He ruined his family, destroyed lives, and brought death to good people. I could not care about him and wondered what the point of it all was.
Tony is worse than both. He's horrific. You need to watch til the end. He gets worse and worse. But he suckers us, like Melfi, into thinking he's a decent guy.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

mlsstwrt wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

Spoiler:

Tony is worse than both. He's horrific. You need to watch til the end. He gets worse and worse. But he suckers us, like Melfi, into thinking he's a decent guy.
I think Tony was written differently in season 1. After that I think Chase decided he was writing a sociopath-- in Season 1 he's more of a guy who accidently became a mobster because his father was a mobster and is stuck in it. In later seasons he's at his core, an unpleasent guy who only fakes decency.