Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

boske
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by boske »

The Gazebo wrote:
boske wrote:But these guys did not address Annie at all, who and what can guarantee that they would even go back to part 18 for any kind of resolution in a hypothetical season 4?! :D They might again take the show in a "a new bold and daring direction, unencumbered by what happened in the past".
Yeah, I thought more in the sense of: "Forget everything that has happened earlier, we don't really care - here's where we'll take it in season 4. Deal with it."
Definitely, I very much understood what you meant. They though are not to be trusted after this, even if they indeed continue with this very plot in mind. I do not have time for these shenanigans anymore.
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

mtwentz wrote:
boske wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Yeah, I wish I could say for sure what Kyle knew or didn't know. And for the record, I am also disappointed Annie wasn't really addressed in the show. I have very mixed feelings at this point. I think the last two hours were brilliant, but they did not give me the emotional homecoming and closure a big part of me was hoping for.
This absolutely sucks. They had 25+ years to bring closure to it and chose to ignore it instead. Regarding Kyle, we need to see the original script, honestly. Who knows what it had.
Yeah, the closure part, that sucks from a fan standpoint. The only conclusion I can come to is that Lynch and Frost hated the Annie character and wanted to mention her as little as possible.

It is what it is...

P.S.- For the record, I think Audrey got screwed just as bad as Annie :-)
Ignoring the Annie character is just plain incomprehensible. She was the reason Coop entered the lodge in the first place, and, in turn, the reason why doppelCoop was created, which is the impetus for TR!! It's just plain lazy and self-indulgent on Lynch's part, and arguably a cruel thing to do to fans.
"That's what I need, a clean place, reasonably priced."
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

SpookySculder wrote:I'm sad for people who feel the original show is now tainted for them. I was afraid this would happen to me as well if I didn't like the Return, but oddly enough I don't feel this way. Its probably because I am SO detached on every level from everything about The Return that I actually feel the first 2 seasons/FWWM are totally separate entities. Even though I am overly disappointed with season 3, I don't think it will change my feelings (at least not all that much) when it comes to the original.
[...]
So many theories can come out of this run so I guess people are correct when they say season 3 can be discussed for decades. I just don't think I personally can rewatch it. Maybe I can rewatch a few eps or scenes here and there, but the majority of it is just forgettable imo. In my mind, TP ends with FWWM.
Like you, it's easy for me to separate the two: Seasons 1 and 2 were collaborations between well-intending writers and directors. Season 3 is a spin-off from a couple of people who went rogue with it. I could watch the original today without any problems.

As for rewatching The Return, I had hope before yesterday that watching the whole thing with the resolution in mind would somehow improve what came before. That idea was shattered with episode 18. In fact, it's kind of even spoiled itself - I no longer have a need to watch all the individual scenes I loved this season, simply because they no longer matter. In that sense, The Return collapsed onto itself, not the original show.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I hope the fans of the Return when they create some fan art do not use the original content anymore. Let us see some art involving Bob orb, Green Gloved Cockney Youngster, Tammy instead of Audrey, and that girl with the armpit rash, maybe even the screaming girl from part 15. Lucy with a gun is also acceptable. As is Red and his levitating magic coin. :lol:
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

boske wrote:
The Gazebo wrote:
boske wrote:But these guys did not address Annie at all, who and what can guarantee that they would even go back to part 18 for any kind of resolution in a hypothetical season 4?! :D They might again take the show in a "a new bold and daring direction, unencumbered by what happened in the past".
Yeah, I thought more in the sense of: "Forget everything that has happened earlier, we don't really care - here's where we'll take it in season 4. Deal with it."
Definitely, I very much understood what you meant. They though are not to be trusted after this, even if they indeed continue with this very plot in mind. I do not have time for these shenanigans anymore.
I understand your feelings boske and I share a lot of them.

Right now, I feel this last part a) was a brilliant piece of film making and b) We were all cheated out of the kind of closure most of us wanted, leaving us feeling empty.

For me, it's difficult to reconcile those two opposing sentiments until I process it some more.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

The Gazebo wrote:
SpookySculder wrote:I'm sad for people who feel the original show is now tainted for them. I was afraid this would happen to me as well if I didn't like the Return, but oddly enough I don't feel this way. Its probably because I am SO detached on every level from everything about The Return that I actually feel the first 2 seasons/FWWM are totally separate entities. Even though I am overly disappointed with season 3, I don't think it will change my feelings (at least not all that much) when it comes to the original.
[...]
So many theories can come out of this run so I guess people are correct when they say season 3 can be discussed for decades. I just don't think I personally can rewatch it. Maybe I can rewatch a few eps or scenes here and there, but the majority of it is just forgettable imo. In my mind, TP ends with FWWM.
Like you, it's easy for me to separate the two: Seasons 1 and 2 were collaborations between well-intending writers and directors. Season 3 is a spin-off from a couple of people who went rogue with it. I could watch the original today without any problems.

As for rewatching The Return, I had hope before yesterday that watching the whole thing with the resolution in mind would somehow improve what came before. That idea was shattered with episode 18. In fact, it's kind of even spoiled itself - I no longer have a need to watch all the individual scenes I loved this season, simply because they no longer matter. In that sense, The Return collapsed onto itself, not the original show.
On another note, I take it your a big Ben Horne fan. Glad Richard Beymer got more than a cameo, and I had high hopes he would play big in the finale, but he just faded away :-(
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

mtwentz wrote:
boske wrote:
The Gazebo wrote:
I understand your feelings boske and I share a lot of them.

Right now, I feel this last part a) was a brilliant piece of film making and b) We were all cheated out of the kind of closure most of us wanted, leaving us feeling empty.

For me, it's difficult to reconcile those two opposing sentiments until I process it some more.
Yeah, understood. Last weekend I went back to watch Tom Petty's "Running Down the Dream" video, and (I know we just talked about dreams and if this thing is a dream or not), but that video is simply great. It has that dream pacing, weirdness, and yet some reoccurring characters. Maybe I am simply expecting any dream story to follow that kind of a pattern or flow.

Edit: It is quite interesting to see some familiar objects in that video: a dwarf (falling like Naido!), ladder, number 8, gramophone, balloons, forest, etc.
Last edited by boske on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

mtwentz wrote:On another note, I take it your a big Ben Horne fan. Glad Richard Beymer got more than a cameo, and I had high hopes he would play big in the finale, but he just faded away :-(
He sure had a lot of telephone calls this season :D Was he ever outside of his office?

Dancing, fun lovin' Ben was probably never on the cards this season because of Beymer's age, but I would have loved to have seen him do something else (and perhaps slightly mischievous) than just receive bad news over the phone :)
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

If anything is tainted by The Return it's likelier to be the Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire trilogy from what I've read about part 18.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Lynch has truly exceeded my expectations. The finale was even worse than I imagined it would be!

I loved it! It opened so many people's eyes! That's one episode that didn't disappoint me at all.
gavin

Post by gavin »

Well fellas I am beyond upset, and I'm not going to bother going through all of the reasons. But two things just keep going through my mind that has kept me angry:

1. David Nevins from Showtime said this gives a definite feeling of closure. Well he obviously lied about watching it, or was showed something drastically different than we were.

2. For years the lack of resolution to the Season 2 cliffhangers have been blamed on the cancellation by ABC. Well, what is the excuse for doing that to the fans once again 25 years later?

Oh, one more thought.....if Mark Frost put as much effort into Twin Peaks as he does about tweeting political views, the fans might have gotten a better end result.
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

It was all just a nightmare!!!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

AhmedKhalifa wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
boske wrote: This absolutely sucks. They had 25+ years to bring closure to it and chose to ignore it instead. Regarding Kyle, we need to see the original script, honestly. Who knows what it had.
Yeah, the closure part, that sucks from a fan standpoint. The only conclusion I can come to is that Lynch and Frost hated the Annie character and wanted to mention her as little as possible.

It is what it is...

P.S.- For the record, I think Audrey got screwed just as bad as Annie :-)
Ignoring the Annie character is just plain incomprehensible. She was the reason Coop entered the lodge in the first place, and, in turn, the reason why doppelCoop was created, which is the impetus for TR!! It's just plain lazy and self-indulgent on Lynch's part, and arguably a cruel thing to do to fans.
Yeah, I have to agree with you, but Audrey was not treated much better, tbh. I feel both Audrey and Annie were cast aside for Diane.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
opium
Roadhouse Member

Post by opium »

Driftwood wrote:how on earth did people make it through twin peaks as it was up til now just to be disappointed in this? this was twin peaks 2017, I don't know what people expected. it's never going to cease to amaze me all the "fans" who after 25 years just turned into the modern versions of the people who got the show cancelled in the first place, or who threw a fit about fire walk with me. talk about a total lack of self-awareness here, what did you think twin peaks was until now? rhetorical question, I don't actually care.
I expected a modicum of thought put into the script beyond 'It's all a dream' and something more than subplots and characters that amount to nothing. It also would have helped to have cut the extraneous fluff that has been disguised as commentary by people who find watching silent car drives fascinating.

The Return didn't have to be the original or FWWM. It didn't have to be optimistic or even respectful to all of its characters, but it should have been a well-written, structurally sound show. The whole thing felt messy and meandering, and the dialogue felt like amateur hour for most of it. I'm personally not even *mad* about it as I am just baffled with some of the choices made as well as the conclusion.

I don't know how one could watch a floating Bob orb fight a guy in some Rocky-esque brawl and not realize how stupid it is.