Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Redlodge
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Redlodge »

boske wrote:If there gets to be a season 4, I hope EW has another one of those collectors issues with a set of custom TP covers. This time let them put Janey-E, Bushnell, Mitchums, Anthony, Cockney Glove Kid, and Ike the Spike on it. And why was the owl on it this time? Better put a very fine bottle of Bordeaux.

Not to be a killjoy but there will NEVER be a 4th season.
Who's going to pay for it ? If it had been a ratings bombshell maybe but not with an average of only 300,000 live viewers a week. Networks are in it to make money and that's the bottom line. Lynch got this deal because the original exec at ABC in the 90's now works for Showtime.
It will not happen.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet , oh what a crop of mummy wheat.
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

AhmedKhalifa wrote:I don't think Lynch hates TP.
Well, he created Cooper. He created Laura. He created Sarah. He created Audrey. He created Chet Desmond. He didn't create Annie but he filmed her most important scenes (nobody forced him to do so).

Then he locked them in a very dark place for the second time.

I didn't need a totally happy ending. I didn't need Cooper and Audrey making out at the RR. But he got exactly the opposite way. He trapped everyone's favourite characters inside a fate worse than death, whatever that is. He doomed them...

... for the second time.

@Redlodge: I agree there will never be a 4th season. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Showtime executives didn't exactly know what they were agreeing to produce for this season.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Redlodge wrote:
boske wrote:If there gets to be a season 4, I hope EW has another one of those collectors issues with a set of custom TP covers. This time let them put Janey-E, Bushnell, Mitchums, Anthony, Cockney Glove Kid, and Ike the Spike on it. And why was the owl on it this time? Better put a very fine bottle of Bordeaux.
Not to be a killjoy but there will NEVER be a 4th season.
Who's going to pay for it ? If it had been a ratings bombshell maybe but not with an average of only 300,000 live viewers a week. Networks are in it to make money and that's the bottom line. Lynch got this deal because the original exec at ABC in the 90's now works for Showtime.
It will not happen.
No, I do not think it will happen either. This was their chance to tell a great story and they blew it. I can barely see there being perhaps a feature film, but even that is doubtful. I mean, who is going to pay for it, what is going to be a story? Cooper trying to save Laura again? Or that Las Vegas prequel joke I posted a few pages back. Which of the original cast would now want to come back again? It is done, Dougie literally stuck his fork into it.
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

Gabriel wrote:I'm sore.

Lynch and Frost just spent 18 weeks fucking me.

The whole thing was a waste of my time.

The whole thing was pointless.

Unlike someone who showed up on this thread denying that this has been one of the worst seasons of television ever, I think it was. Given the talents involved, this is absolutely a squandering of ability. And, all told, it used Twin Peaks as a method of creating a greatest hits collection of bits of Lynch's past career.

This was a real 'two fingers' to everyone. This was a cynical, hateful waste of time and effort.

It wasn't art; rather it was 'anti-art.'

David Lynch's work is dead to me now.

Roll on season four...
True. I was a long time huge fan of his even back to Eraserhead for goodness sake. I think he was good through the Straight Story and then he just gave up and did the weird shit in his head. Just watched Lynch the Art Life Saturday and he is such a lucky man, His entire career is such a fluke to begin with. Now he is a 72 year old man with a 4 year old daughter and as someone in another thread said this feels like a money grab. I honestly dont know if Id see another film of us. Inland Empire is the single worst piece of art Ive ever seen from someone I admire(d) and this show feels more like that than anything.
FindLaura

Post by FindLaura »

To add to this, I wonder if Sheryl and the rest of the original cast had a sort of expectation as well. I mean, for them, they seemed just to be content to work with Lynch again and of course it's a pay check for them, but I am curious about how they feel about the final product. Do they feel as let down and confused as some of the fans? They'll never admit it.

SpookySculder wrote:Speaking of Sheryl (not Laura) specifically, maybe it's just an expectation I had, but when you know the history of what happened......That she was just supposed to be brought on for a few days to play a corpse, but L&F liked her so much they wanted to keep her so they developed another character. When you're constantly hearing over the years how Lynch would have brought her back as a third character, when you hear Lynch telling Sheryl to her face "you got the stuff" and all that.... yes, an expectation arose in me to see her more. Laura or not. The whole "Laura is dead" is not an excuse for not seeing her on screen. Lynch finds ways around that stuff, as we know.

Poor Ray Wise. ONE measly line. 99% of the returning cast was wasted in the RETURN
boske wrote:Was Sheryl Lee wasted? I agree that with the lodge and its denizens, less is definitely more. But they had Sheryl merely repeat the original scene, minus the iconic "sometimes my arms bend back" part, and then had her whisked away. So it is a waste. And yes, Ray Wise was definitely wasted. "Find Laura..."? Could they have used him for less than that?
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

honest question for all the people who are profoundly dissapointed: what were your thoughts on Inland Empire when it came out?
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

powerleftist wrote:In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Showtime executives didn't exactly know what they were agreeing to produce for this season.
That's fine. Good or bad (and I honestly can't decide which this show was), the level of creative freedom he enjoyed within the realm of TV (not known for 100% creative control), was important. The artist needs to be the one with the creative control, not the studio, even if that means what is produced is a subpar work.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

riesje wrote:honest question for all the people who are profoundly dissapointed: what were your thoughts on Inland Empire when it came out?
Much like TP:TR. Some interesting scenes ("BRUTAL FUCKING MURDER!") making a good set of vignettes, but the film as a whole being slightly pointless and boring specially towards the end.
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

IcedOver wrote:
powerleftist wrote:In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Showtime executives didn't exactly know what they were agreeing to produce for this season.
That's fine. Good or bad (and I honestly can't decide which this show was), the level of creative freedom he enjoyed within the realm of TV (not known for 100% creative control), was important. The artist needs to be the one with the creative control, not the studio, even if that means what is produced is a subpar work.
Yes, that is good. What I meant is that I'm sure Showtime is not jumping to sign any more checks.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

FindLaura wrote:To add to this, I wonder if Sheryl and the rest of the original cast had a sort of expectation as well. I mean, for them, they seemed just to be content to work with Lynch again and of course it's a pay check for them, but I am curious about how they feel about the final product. Do they feel as let down and confused as some of the fans? They'll never admit it.

SpookySculder wrote:Speaking of Sheryl (not Laura) specifically, maybe it's just an expectation I had, but when you know the history of what happened......That she was just supposed to be brought on for a few days to play a corpse, but L&F liked her so much they wanted to keep her so they developed another character. When you're constantly hearing over the years how Lynch would have brought her back as a third character, when you hear Lynch telling Sheryl to her face "you got the stuff" and all that.... yes, an expectation arose in me to see her more. Laura or not. The whole "Laura is dead" is not an excuse for not seeing her on screen. Lynch finds ways around that stuff, as we know.

Poor Ray Wise. ONE measly line. 99% of the returning cast was wasted in the RETURN
boske wrote:Was Sheryl Lee wasted? I agree that with the lodge and its denizens, less is definitely more. But they had Sheryl merely repeat the original scene, minus the iconic "sometimes my arms bend back" part, and then had her whisked away. So it is a waste. And yes, Ray Wise was definitely wasted. "Find Laura..."? Could they have used him for less than that?
The bottom line is that no actor is going to bite the hand that feeds so if anyone is genuinely upset by their role or the finished product most are not going to say anything as they don't want to be seen as difficult and they have a close relationship with DL.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

riesje wrote:honest question for all the people who are profoundly dissapointed: what were your thoughts on Inland Empire when it came out?
My least favourite DL film, even after reading all the dissection of that film I still cannot follow it. Also Twin Peaks is not Inland Empire so I think it is unfair he decided to take the show in that direction.
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

musicaddict wrote:
FindLaura wrote:To add to this, I wonder if Sheryl and the rest of the original cast had a sort of expectation as well. I mean, for them, they seemed just to be content to work with Lynch again and of course it's a pay check for them, but I am curious about how they feel about the final product. Do they feel as let down and confused as some of the fans? They'll never admit it.

The bottom line is that no actor is going to bite the hand that feeds so if anyone is genuinely upset by their role or the finished product most are not going to say anything as they don't want to be seen as difficult and they have a close relationship with DL.
Very true and I am convinced many of the gushing fans elsewhere on this board have convinced themselves of their positive opinions to justify the countless hours of watching and discussing they have done. It takes guts to be honest and say, wow I just spent 80 hours or so in the last 4 months for nothing.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

nick1218 wrote:
musicaddict wrote:

Very true and I am convinced many of the gushing fans elsewhere on this board have convinced themselves of their positive opinions to justify the countless hours of watching and discussing they have done. It takes guts to be honest and say, wow I just spent 80 hours or so in the last 4 months for nothing.
I agree. The gushing is just nauseating. I am dreading the Twin Peaks UK Festival in 4 weeks. I bought my ticket at the start of the year and now I am dreading going to this and being surrounded by all these sycophants.
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

nick1218 wrote:I just spent 80 hours or so in the last 4 months for nothing.
Meh. My life isn't great either.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

It was a pile of crap. I went out for beers afterwards with some friends and had to buy painkillers on the way. My greatest fear about the new Twin Peaks was that it would be made by 'Inland Empire Lynch' and it came true.