Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rialto
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Rialto »

Hey @Gabriel, we don't need to be cool; we were always cool :wink:

https://youtu.be/r5aZOW42vbQ[/youtube]
Rialto
RR Diner Member

Post by Rialto »

Someone did ponder upthread, would TPTR lead to more funding for experimental or different forms of TV.

I fear it will have the opposite effect. For all the critical acclaim, the money peeps are only interested in the numbers. If viewing figures are as poor as has been suggested, Lynch and Frost have screwed it up for those coming behind them.

If the numbers are indeed low at final count, this will be used as a stick to beat the creative talent for years to come - "See what happens when we grant creative control?"
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Sorry, just to go a bit off topic, this thought just popped into my head before going to bed. Did we ever find out what on earth the dog leg in the boot of Bad Coop's car was all about? Did I blink and miss it? Sorry, just a random! :)
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Rialto
RR Diner Member

Post by Rialto »

Don't remember any resolution to that :?

Wait, didn't Empire promise ALL the answers?!?

:lol:
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Rialto wrote:Don't remember any resolution to that :?

They did! There's an email address at the end of the article to email them questions about TPTR. Maybe I should!

The dog leg poses the question (or rather I do about the dog leg) - where is the rest of the dog? Is it linked to the tree and the LMFAP or the one armed man or...or... :lol: Were any of them looking a little 'ruff'? Were any legless? Dogs love trees for obvious reasons, is there a link between the leg and Dougie's desperate need to pee in the early days? :lol:
Thpthpthpthpthp

Post by Thpthpthpthpthp »

Venus wrote:Sorry, just to go a bit off topic, this thought just popped into my head before going to bed. Did we ever find out what on earth the dog leg in the boot of Bad Coop's car was all about? Did I blink and miss it? Sorry, just a random! :)
Wasn't it the warden's dog, Mr. Strawberry? Or did I make that up in my fantasy universe?
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Thpthpthpthpthp wrote:
Venus wrote:Sorry, just to go a bit off topic, this thought just popped into my head before going to bed. Did we ever find out what on earth the dog leg in the boot of Bad Coop's car was all about? Did I blink and miss it? Sorry, just a random! :)
Wasn't it the warden's dog, Mr. Strawberry? Or did I make that up in my fantasy universe?
Someone made it up. No one knows who or why the dog :| How will we ever sleep at night :roll: I also kind of wonder if Carrie Paige was supposed to be any relation to Beverly and Tom Paige. The speculation is already so chaotic out there, if I start reading it I'll lose track of what's in the text and what's necessary reaching. Everything is connected via the unified field, so all interpretations are valid, I guess.

edit: Oh funny. No sooner did I say that, I watch this Kale interview and he says almost the same thing.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Rialto
RR Diner Member

Post by Rialto »

Venus wrote:

They did! There's an email address at the end of the article to email them questions about TPTR. Maybe I should!

The dog leg poses the question (or rather I do about the dog leg) - where is the rest of the dog? Is it linked to the tree and the LMFAP or the one armed man or...or... :lol: Were any of them looking a little 'ruff'? Were any legless? Dogs love trees for obvious reasons, is there a link between the leg and Dougie's desperate need to pee in the early days? :lol:
Maybe Evil Coop lived on dog, and was just saving a snack for later :shock: :lol:
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

AhmedKhalifa wrote: I beg to differ. At comicon Sutherland clearly stated that after L&F finished the 9 hour script, Lynch went to Showtime, got the deal, then decided to continue writing WITHOUT Frost's involvement at all, as Frost was busy writing TSHOTP. She stated that Lynch added about another 20% to 30% on his own.
Yeah, that makes sense. The strange pacing and random disjointed quality of the final product screams of unpolished rewrites. One of the reasons I'm intrigued to pick up the Final Dossier and read it in tandem with a reread of the Secret History is that we might get some idea of what the original nine hour script was about.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Rialto wrote:
Venus wrote:

Maybe Evil Coop lived on dog, and was just saving a snack for later :shock: :lol:
Maybe! Or maybe it was a far fetched clue that male dogs pee up trees by cocking their leg and if good Cooper pee'd up the electric tree in the lodge then he would have been electrocuted and brought back to life quicker than when he eventually chose to randomly stick a fork in a plug socket! The possibilities are endless.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

There's a hilariously long review of TPTR in the Daily Telegraph which reads as a desperate luvvie attempt to justify not just liking the series, but calling it a 'masterpiece.'

It's got barely any comments on it and you'll have to search for it, because clearly no one's bothered to read it.

And that's the thing with the new show: the original, whether it provoked love or derision, provoked 'water cooler' discussion. This show has provoked discussion on interest group forums and that's it. Any friends I have who are fans laugh about it. The only discussions over beers we've had are about how mental the whole thing has been, how incompetent the whole thing is and how it was ever allowed to be broadcast in the state it was delivered. It's a lesson in not giving someone total creative control.

Most people simply don't care about the show – as a fan of the original and FWWM, my view of Lynch's work has been irrevocably tarnished. My brother, who was a bigger fan than me, ditched the show after part four.

Rather than being seen as some 'great experiment,' at best TPTR will be a minor footnote. As I say, I'm fascinated to read Mark Frost's book, because it might well be the best indication of what the original script was about and of the differences in viewpoints of the two creators.
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

Gabriel wrote:There's a hilariously long review of TPTR in the Daily Telegraph which reads as a desperate luvvie attempt to justify not just liking the series, but calling it a 'masterpiece.'

It's got barely any comments on it and you'll have to search for it, because clearly no one's bothered to read it.

And that's the thing with the new show: the original, whether it provoked love or derision, provoked 'water cooler' discussion. This show has provoked discussion on interest group forums and that's it. Any friends I have who are fans laugh about it. The only discussions over beers we've had are about how mental the whole thing has been, how incompetent the whole thing is and how it was ever allowed to be broadcast in the state it was delivered. It's a lesson in not giving someone total creative control.

Most people simply don't care about the show – as a fan of the original and FWWM, my view of Lynch's work has been irrevocably tarnished. My brother, who was a bigger fan than me, ditched the show after part four.

Rather than being seen as some 'great experiment,' at best TPTR will be a minor footnote. As I say, I'm fascinated to read Mark Frost's book, because it might well be the best indication of what the original script was about and of the differences in viewpoints of the two creators.
I don't know about Frost's upcoming book. TSHOTP was a grand disappointment to me. It went on and on about Lewis and Clark, Crowley, and Owl-like men, and most of the book was actually about Douglas Milford's adventures investigating UFOs! Twin Peaks got the short end of the stick. I think Frost is guilty of the same thing Lynch is with TPTR: Each basically used the brand name of TP to pursue their own obsessions and interests and sell it under the name of the only mass marketable product either of them was ever involved with. Whether they like it or not, TP is what they will both be forever known for in the eyes of the public, and they both know that. Lynch piggybacked on the popularity and prestige of the original series to basically make an 18 hour love letter to himself and things that turn him on, packaging it all as a continuation of TP, when, in truth, it was hardly that at all. It is at best a spin-off, in which the original characters didn't behave like themselves, or like human beings, for that matter. And Frost used TPs popularity to write a book that waxed poetic about his interest in boring X-Files types shenanigans, with only less than half the book about the residents of TP and their stories. Case in point: How's Annie???
"That's what I need, a clean place, reasonably priced."
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

AhmedKhalifa wrote:I think Frost is guilty of the same thing Lynch is with TPTR: Each basically used the brand name of TP to pursue their own obsessions and interests and sell it under the name of the only mass marketable product either of them was ever involved with. Whether they like it or not, TP is what they will both be forever known for in the eyes of the public, and they both know that. Lynch piggybacked on the popularity and prestige of the original series to basically make an 18 hour love letter to himself and things that turn him on, packaging it all as a continuation of TP, when, in truth, it was hardly that at all. It is at best a spin-off, in which the original characters didn't behave like themselves, or like human beings, for that matter. And Frost used TPs popularity to write a book that waxed poetic about his interest in boring X-Files types shenanigans, with only less than half the book about the residents of TP and their stories. Case in point: How's Annie???
Rialto
RR Diner Member

Post by Rialto »

Venus wrote:
Rialto wrote:
Venus wrote:

Maybe! Or maybe it was a far fetched clue that male dogs pee up trees by cocking their leg and if good Cooper pee'd up the electric tree in the lodge then he would have been electrocuted and brought back to life quicker than when he eventually chose to randomly stick a fork in a plug socket! The possibilities are endless.
See, it all makes sense now - I'm a convert! It's a masterpiece! Get behind me, unbelievers!

No wait...
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Deadline.com aren't massively enamoured with the series: http://deadline.com/2017/09/twin-peaks- ... 202160498/ It's an interestingly balanced review of it.