Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by nick1218 »

Gabriel wrote:
nick1218 wrote: Eraserhead was the first feature of a promising "different" type of director. You can love Eraserhead yet not want to follow the career of one who does nothing but Eraserhead type films. It is not hypocrtical to like eraserhead and even The Grandmother yet have disdain for IE or TR. It is about timing for one thing, plus Eraserhead, which I watched again during TR is simply far better.
I found it interesting how much of TPTR seemed to be about referencing past glories. So many times, I found myself thinking things like: 'That's an Eraserhead moment,' or 'That's a Wild At Heart moment.'

It was, for me, the equivalent of a televisual greatest hits album, tied together with a sketchy 'plot.' Like Inland Empire, it felt more like watching a doodle pad: lots of interesting ideas for scenes randomly thrown together with little connection to one another.

Lynch has proven he can expertly handle the craft of filmmaking. Films such as The Straight Story and The Elephant Man prove he can create a narrative, draw tremendous performances from actors and can – daring to say it – touch the viewer's soul with warmth and humanity in his images. In IE and TPTR, he seems to have ditched the craft and gone purely into artistic experimentation and self-indulgence. Sadly, It's what happens when you get thrown a load of money and are given complete control without anyone to whom you have to answer.
Very well said. We now have Lynch the painter/sculptor "putting things on film" again. In Lynch The Artists Life we get a part where he talks about an old epiphany he had years ago where he looked at one of his paintings and thought "movement, this painting needs movement" and that is how he got his start in filmmaking by animating a painting. But he makes it sound like he discovered such a thing on his own in a bubble. It's called animation David and had been around for 80 years before you.
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

I see a lot of discussion about "changing television" as if TR will do again what the original did. What I feel is happening when people say this is that they realize it is weird, different, inexplicable, incomparable etc. They also realize these concepts are not automatically bad or good in themselves and there is still debate to the overall quality of the product. They use the changing television idea as a way to dismiss those who disagree with them on the quality. It is a variation of "you don't get it" When you come down to it, it is a prediction and predictions are usually wrong. Maybe it is wishful thinking. But how did TP change television and how might TR do it again? TP definitely brought weird to network tv, or tv period. It was followed by a bunch of shows that were undeniably at ease being more odd, shows like Northern Exposure, Picket Fences, Wild Palms, X Files were the immediate ones, but the list can go on. One could argue that any perceived continuance of this had more to do with the explosion of cable tv in the mid 90's. Sure it existed since the mid 70's but it wasn't until the mid 90's that it began to produce original tv series. What I feel TP did the most to change television was the take the 1 hour show and serialize it. Sure some shows had done this before, mostly the prime time soaps of the 70's (Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty), but one hour dramas had always been written in stand-alone episode fashion. You could see episodes out of order. TP was not the very first but it really pushed that technique forward a great deal and it has been common for a long time now especially in shows that involve elements of sci-fi or mystery or the surreal. The idea that TR will do the same baffles me. What exactly would they be pushing forward? Long meaningless scenes? Scenes with characters you never see again. Elements never explained? Long musical numbers at the end of episodes? I'm not sure what it would change?
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

The way that I hope TR changes television is it will allow people who are telling long form narrative to not care about making each episode have a self-contained arc within. Almost every serialized show I've ever watched has a larger series long arc, but also includes a smaller arc in each episode for the audience to latch on to. I don't think that is necessary. I hope we get more things that are one long script just cut up in to chunks, instead of having a separate script for each episode.

And I hope people do it better than TR, at least from a plotting perspective. As I said earlier, I love TR but still have some major issues with it, mostly stemming from the plot.

Also, I'm extremely disappointed that they're labeling this as Season 3 on the bluray. The Return fit so much better and fit in with Fire Walk with Me as these different pieces that fit within the world but get a subtitle since they aren't exactly Twin Peaks. Calling this Season 3 feels like a disservice to that because it implies this is a direct continuation of Twin Peaks, as opposed to just a story set in the world of Twin Peaks with some familiar characters and plot. I would have also been ok calling it Season 27, since it seemed we came in at the climax of a story that had been ongoing.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

I just mashed my own brain by thinking "Instead of an 18 part TV show, what if L&F had made 9 TP films?"
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

It was funny reading all the predictions for next year's Emmy awards on Twitter/Facebook last night:

- Laura Dern will win Emmys two years in a row. Next year it will be for playing Diane.
- Kyle will win THREE[!] Emmys next year.

Kyle may have a long shot of being nominated for lead actor but I don't I don't see any one else getting nominated for acting. Nor will the show be nominated for best limited drama. Maybe they'll throw Lynch a bone and nominate him for directing (part 8?) or sound design. Honestly, I think the show will be basically forgotten by the academy when nominations are announced.
Last edited by Esselgee on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Grace Zabriskie needs to win something.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

I just listened to Brad Duke's episode on part 17 and it was very cathartic to hear someone so prominent in the Twin Peaks fandom have all the same issues I have with it. Made me feel less alone, which is something other people have said about my podcast. So now I know how they feel. :)
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Twin Peaks Podcast wrote: [Brad Dukes show https://soundcloud.com/the-brad-dukes-s ... rn-part-17 ]
They hit every single one of my talking points for sure. Solid podcast. Brad and John are aces.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:I just listened to Brad Duke's episode on part 17 and it was very cathartic to hear someone so prominent in the Twin Peaks fandom have all the same issues I have with it. Made me feel less alone, which is something other people have said about my podcast. So now I know how they feel. :)
do you have a link for your podcast
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

nick1218 wrote:
Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:I just listened to Brad Duke's episode on part 17 and it was very cathartic to hear someone so prominent in the Twin Peaks fandom have all the same issues I have with it. Made me feel less alone, which is something other people have said about my podcast. So now I know how they feel. :)
do you have a link for your podcast

Here you go.

http://twinpeakspodcast.libsyn.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/the-tw ... 49455?mt=2
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

Twin Peaks Podcast wrote: I just listened to Brad Duke's episode on part 17 and it was very cathartic to hear someone so prominent in the Twin Peaks fandom have all the same issues I have with it. Made me feel less alone, which is something other people have said about my podcast. So now I know how they feel. :)
Yeah. I just listened to it and feel the same way.
-
As above, so below.
-
Eva Marie
Roadhouse Member

Post by Eva Marie »

I've heard too many DL fans say that what's he did with TR's tone was so terribly brave. In actual fact this post-modern cold detachment and abstract fantasy is really old hat. It's been the conventional 'cool' style since the 60s. It's true that it's very rare for TV - but it's been done to death in cinema.

What's truly brave these days is delivering a purely earnest, optimistic tone that doesn't celebrate sociopaths. The old TP had that in spades and Coop was the walking embodiment of it. These days Fargo is a rare case of it (in the 1st 2 seasons largely decent ordinary people won over 'anti-heros', which is really refreshing).
As much as I dislike Blue Velvet, it was earnest to the point of naivette, so it's not like DL is incapable of it.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

"Why is there so much trouble in this world?"

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Iron_Dwarf

Post by Iron_Dwarf »

Eva Marie wrote:I've heard too many DL fans say that what's he did with TR's tone was so terribly brave. In actual fact this post-modern cold detachment and abstract fantasy is really old hat. It's been the conventional 'cool' style since the 60s. It's true that it's very rare for TV - but it's been done to death in cinema.

What's truly brave these days is delivering a purely earnest, optimistic tone that doesn't celebrate sociopaths. The old TP had that in spades and Coop was the walking embodiment of it. These days Fargo is a rare case of it (in the 1st 2 seasons largely decent ordinary people won over 'anti-heros', which is really refreshing).
As much as I dislike Blue Velvet, it was earnest to the point of naivette, so it's not like DL is incapable of it.
Perhaps a bit too saccharine, but I can highly recommend An: Sweet Bean Paste for a recent film that just oozes optimism.
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

I really enjoyed Meow (2017) if you're looking for a funny optimistic movie with also some romance and adventure.