Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Agent Earle wrote:
IcedOver wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Wadda joke. The Return can go stand in some corner when it comes to Season 2!
Compared to episodes 8 through 14, yes, this was nowhere near as good on straight quality. I'll take it over anything after that, though, including the series finale perhaps. The shows are so different, though, it's almost inaccurate to call them by the same title.
While I don't agree with your assessment of the later part of S 2 (I personally am a great fan of it, always have been), I wholeheartedly do regarding the title of the new show - a lot of confusion and animosity would be avoided if they simply removed the title "Twin Peaks" or maybe included it only as a subtitle, "A Twin Peaks Tale", for example). I'm flabbergasted as to how can you rate S 2's finale lower than the new show - is it because it contains Windom Earle & Annie? :)
Last Sunday my wife (not an obsessive TP fan like I am, but she saw and enjoyed everything multiple times) said: “I truly miss waiting for Dougie in a new episode”. More than that, she admitted that she liked TP:TR more than S1 and S2, although she also added that she would’ve probably not enjoyed TP:TR without S1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
IcedOver wrote:
Compared to episodes 8 through 14, yes, this was nowhere near as good on straight quality. I'll take it over anything after that, though, including the series finale perhaps. The shows are so different, though, it's almost inaccurate to call them by the same title.
While I don't agree with your assessment of the later part of S 2 (I personally am a great fan of it, always have been), I wholeheartedly do regarding the title of the new show - a lot of confusion and animosity would be avoided if they simply removed the title "Twin Peaks" or maybe included it only as a subtitle, "A Twin Peaks Tale", for example). I'm flabbergasted as to how can you rate S 2's finale lower than the new show - is it because it contains Windom Earle & Annie? :)
Last Sunday my wife (not an obsessive TP fan like I am, but she saw and enjoyed everything multiple times) said: “I truly miss waiting for Dougie in a new episode”. More than that, she admitted that she liked TP:TR more than S1 and S2, although she also added that she would’ve probably not enjoyed TP:TR without S1.
Had she been drinking? :wink: lol

Good for her I say!
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

Good for her I say!
She says Dougie reminds her of me in the morning, before coffee.
I am NOT going to ask her if it’s somewhat a compliment!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

Good for her I say!
That's funny. Wow you must drink strong coffee to snap you out of Dougieville in the morning. :shock:
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Venus wrote: Had she been drinking? :wink: lol

Good for her I say!
That's funny. Wow you must drink strong coffee to snap you out of Dougieville in the morning. :shock:
Ahahahhahaha ! :) well first coffee is usually an espresso

Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Maybe they should have intravenously fed Dougie espresso to wake him up quicker instead of waiting for him to randomly shove a fork in a plug socket.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Venus wrote: That's funny. Wow you must drink strong coffee to snap you out of Dougieville in the morning. :shock:
Maybe they should have intravenously fed Dougie espresso to wake him up quicker instead of waiting for him to randomly shove a fork in a plug socket.
I am pretty sure that my wife thought about walking me next to a socket and giving me a fork while half comatose. I am not sure if it’s to wake me up or if it’s to put me to sleep forever...

Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
I am pretty sure that my wife thought about walking me next to a socket and giving me a fork while half comatose. I am not sure if it’s to wake me up or if it’s to put me to sleep forever...
Maybe don't jump to the fork, go for counselling instead! I can see the headlines now, 'Forkin' hell! Wife makes a meal out of getting rid of husband'.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Watching Michael Ontkean - and Jose Ferrer- in Tales of the Unexpected episode “Man From the South” (where he bets his pinkie for a J-A-G... car) and thinking about how unspoiled S1&2 Harry Truman has remained by S3. He’s safe in Jamaica, healthy and young in my mind now. Good on ya, Mr O. Did you ever find your coat? He was up for a continuation in 1991, suggesting a “series of movies.”

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991 ... rike-quiet I just respect his meaningful abscence so much, for whatever reason. Piper Laurie, too. Joan Chen wrote that lovely dreamy drawer pull letter and she got recycled footage, I wonder if she feels she dodged a bullet...
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

sylvia_north wrote:Watching Michael Ontkean - and Jose Ferrer- in Tales of the Unexpected episode “Man From the South” (where he bets his pinkie for a J-A-G... car) and thinking about how unspoiled S1&2 Harry Truman has remained by S3. He’s safe in Jamaica, healthy and young in my mind now. Good on ya, Mr O. Did you ever find your coat? He was up for a continuation in 1991, suggesting a “series of movies.”

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991 ... rike-quiet I just respect his meaningful abscence so much, for whatever reason. Piper Laurie, too. Joan Chen wrote that lovely dreamy drawer pull letter and she got recycled footage, I wonder if she feels she dodged a bullet...
Why would a character be 'spoiled' by Season 3?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I can certainly relate to the general concept of absent characters "getting out of Dodge" from sequels I dislike. And, remembering that the old show arguably ended with a whopping three characters being better off than before FWWM started, I've always joked that anyone who didn't show up for the new show dodged DKL handing out yet more character-defining flaws and life-ruining events. I could say that for... Chet? Catherine? But Harry managed to be under the spotlight more than if he'd actually been on screen...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:Why would a character be 'spoiled' by Season 3?
I also have trouble understanding this mindset. Even taking it as a given that S3 was a steaming pile of turd — a perfectly valid viewpoint even if I don’t share it — I personally have always found it relatively easy to separate crappy sequels from beloved originals. Messrs. Corleone, Lecter, Bond, Stark, Jones (Indy), etc., are all alive and well in my imagination, and I’m happy to frequently revisit their better works without giving a thought to the lesser sequels. It gets a little hairier with a continuing-narrative TV series — I’ll probably never revisit Dexter because, as great as the first couple of seasons were, I think of the show as one long story that gets really really bad after the first few chapters. But S3 of TP is so attenuated from the original run in terms of time, tone, and everything else, it feels much more like the equivalent of a bad Alien or Terminator sequel. Why not just ignore it if you hated it?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

sylvia_north wrote:Watching Michael Ontkean - and Jose Ferrer- in Tales of the Unexpected episode “Man From the South” (where he bets his pinkie for a J-A-G... car) and thinking about how unspoiled S1&2 Harry Truman has remained by S3. He’s safe in Jamaica, healthy and young in my mind now. Good on ya, Mr O. Did you ever find your coat? He was up for a continuation in 1991, suggesting a “series of movies.”

Interesting. But why do you wonder if Chen feels like she dodged a bullet? In what way do you mean?
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

LateReg wrote: Interesting. But why do you wonder if Chen feels like she dodged a bullet? In what way do you mean?
She thinks that Joan Chen wouldn't want to be part of a great work of art, loved by critics and adored by fans.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

eyeboogers wrote:
LateReg wrote: Interesting. But why do you wonder if Chen feels like she dodged a bullet? In what way do you mean?
She thinks that Joan Chen wouldn't want to be part of a great work of art, loved by critics and adored by fans.
Come on. Reception of this "great work of art" wasn't as unanimous as all that. A little perspective wouldn't hurt.