Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Audrey Horne »

Also it should not be stressed enough, if you are an actress over the age of forty you should put a paper bag over your head and be deported to an island.

What about the crow’s feet around Kyle’s eyes? I found it truly offensive. And Dana should’ve dyed his hair! There’s no excuse for these people coming to set looking this way!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

NormoftheAndes wrote:If people are going to be wholly disrespectful or negative towards Twin Peaks they should be quite able to overcome any viewpoints that come along in response.
Even if I really didn't like season 3, I wouldn't make an avatar saying 'the TURD season' as I have too much respect for Lynch, Frost and co.
Season 3 wasn't anywhere close to Twin Peaks to me, it felt like a new big fat 'fuck you' from Lynch (the first time being Inland Empire). So my homemade avatar is a rightful little 'fuck you back'.
Audrey Horne wrote:Really? Hags? Really? I’m not going to go into everything wrong with that statement.... really?!
I hated Inland Empire, since then I can't stand Laura Dern. Lynch didn't need her to ruin Twin Peaks, but she sure took a part in the process. And yes she's ugly, sorry.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Audrey Horne wrote:Also it should not be stressed enough, if you are an actress over the age of forty you should put a paper bag over your head and be deported to an island.

What about the crow’s feet around Kyle’s eyes? I found it truly offensive. And Dana should’ve dyed his hair! There’s no excuse for these people coming to set looking this way!
And that Lynch guy who plays Gordon Cole! Couldn’t even be bothered to get a haircut so he’d look like a proper FBI director instead of an aging beatnik. They really should have recast him with someone more visually appealing. Furthermore, why on Earth didn’t they use a clip from one of Gloria Swanson’s earlier films, when she was a hot young thing? She’s WAY past her prime in Sunset Blvd. I miss the good old days when this franchise was all about fetishizing high school students!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

sorry i was in my cups last night.... basically, can't we keep it to analyzing the pros and cons of the art instead of the real life appearances of its performers?
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Aqwell wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:If people are going to be wholly disrespectful or negative towards Twin Peaks they should be quite able to overcome any viewpoints that come along in response.
Even if I really didn't like season 3, I wouldn't make an avatar saying 'the TURD season' as I have too much respect for Lynch, Frost and co.
Season 3 wasn't anywhere close to Twin Peaks to me, it felt like a new big fat 'fuck you' from Lynch (the first time being Inland Empire). So my homemade avatar is a rightful little 'fuck you back'.
Audrey Horne wrote:Really? Hags? Really? I’m not going to go into everything wrong with that statement.... really?!
I hated Inland Empire, since then I can't stand Laura Dern. Lynch didn't need her to ruin Twin Peaks, but she sure took a part in the process. And yes she's ugly, sorry.
Twin Peaks s3 was not an F YOU from Lynch. You know he doesn't read the Dugpa forum?

Aqwell, you've pretty much summed up the nastiness of this whole thread with your sentiments and calling Laura Dern a hag. I feel like season 3 has really reflected something of yourself back at you. I liked INLAND EMPIRE myself so I suppose it could all be down to taste too.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

NormoftheAndes wrote:Aqwell, you've pretty much summed up the nastiness of this whole thread with your sentiments and calling Laura Dern a hag.
Thank you, maybe I should have said it in french. Take your pick, we have:
- Vielle bique (funny one, it means 'Old goat')
- Vieille peau (Old skin)
- Vieille mégère (Old mean woman, like a witch)
- Vieille morue (nasty one, it means Old Codfish but really means Old bitch)
NormoftheAndes wrote:I liked INLAND EMPIRE myself so I suppose it could all be down to taste too.
Pretty much. At the end of the day, it's just TV shows and movies. Love it, hate it, whatever, it doesn't matter.
Except for Laura Dern, she's my own personal Jar Jar Binks and make me flee the movie theater after 1h30 of torture. :shock: :lol:

NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

No I wasn't saying it doesn't matter. Serious criticism of a tv show or film is important. The fact that this nasty whole 'Support Group' thread is nothing of the sort but now just a haven for misogynistic nastiness tells me all I need to know!
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Oh, get off the PC-tinged indignation about comments on the actors' looks. Some people have over analyzed every single bit of this show, even stuff that doesn't deserve it, and you would deny that the faded looks of the female and male actors is part of that, the passage of time? Fenn looks horrible compared to 27 years earlier, and Lynch is using that. All the older actors are broken down in some way.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:Oh, get off the PC-tinged indignation about comments on the actors' looks. Some people have over analyzed every single bit of this show, even stuff that doesn't deserve it, and you would deny that the faded looks of the female and male actors is part of that, the passage of time? Fenn looks horrible compared to 27 years earlier, and Lynch is using that. All the older actors are broken down in some way.
DKL absolutely uses the ages of the actors as an asset. He knows exactly what he’s putting on screen. Pretty much every time he’s cast Harry Dean Stanton, Harry Dean’s sunken features were obviously a calculated part of the equation. And DKL very consciously included that wonderful cut from his own 70-year-old visage to a flashback from FWWM. No one is denying that Fenn or Dern or Sheryl Lee’s ages and appearances are part of what the new show is about, just as Kyle’s and David Patrick Kelly’s and Goaz’s and DKL’s are. The problem is people calling the female performers “hags” and “call girls” and implying that having to even LOOK at Laura Dern is an assault on the viewer’s delicate aesthetic sensibilities. We can argue about the merits of political correctness all day and probably never reach an agreement, but I defy anyone to convincingly argue that there hasn’t been a double standard in certain naysayers criticizing female actors vs. male actors, from Bell to Fenn to Dern. I’d be thrilled to hear a single example anyone could offer of a contributor on this board complaining that a male actor looks too disgustingly, offensively old.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

NormoftheAndes wrote:No I wasn't saying it doesn't matter. Serious criticism of a tv show or film is important. The fact that this nasty whole 'Support Group' thread is nothing of the sort but now just a haven for misogynistic nastiness tells me all I need to know!
And yet you're still here ...
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Agent Earle wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:No I wasn't saying it doesn't matter. Serious criticism of a tv show or film is important. The fact that this nasty whole 'Support Group' thread is nothing of the sort but now just a haven for misogynistic nastiness tells me all I need to know!
You sound like a member of a gentlemen's private members club.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
You sound like a member of a gentlemen's private members club.
Not at all. It's just that when someone continuously expresses such dislike-bordering-on-disgust with the thread in question (you've labelled it a "haven for misogynistic nastiness" just recently) and some of its frequent posters as you have, I have to wonder why he's drawn again and again to such vile, unholy place. I mean, wouldn't he be more happy among his fellow third season appreciators?
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The problem is people calling the female performers “hags” and “call girls” and implying that having to even LOOK at Laura Dern is an assault on the viewer’s delicate aesthetic sensibilities.
She did it again in The Last Jedi, ruining Star Wars franchise with purple hair this time... bloody disgusting.
Didn't see the movie, of course, too risky.

And yes, I'm making fun of you, obviously...

But my Dern phobia is honest, she's evil. :lol:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Aqwell wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:The problem is people calling the female performers “hags” and “call girls” and implying that having to even LOOK at Laura Dern is an assault on the viewer’s delicate aesthetic sensibilities.
She did it again in The Last Jedi, ruining Star Wars franchise with purple hair this time... bloody disgusting.
Didn't see the movie, of course, too risky.

And yes, I'm making fun of you, obviously...

But my Dern phobia is honest, she's evil. :lol:
I felt she was underutilized in Star Wars, but I was very amused by the wig connection.

Honest question: how did you feel about her performance in Wild at Heart?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Audrey Horne wrote:sorry i was in my cups last night.... basically, can't we keep it to analyzing the pros and cons of the art instead of the real life appearances of its performers?
I concur. First of all, Dern and Fenn are gorgeous even today- and they probably still will be even until their 80s or 90s. But even if they weren't, I am more concerned about their acting abilities.

I remember before TPTR aired one of the posters on Dugpa complaining that Naomi Watts was too generic looking and thus should not have been chosen to be a major part of Season 3. I guess some people have impossibly high standards...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly