Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Putontheglasses
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Putontheglasses »

Hockey Mask wrote:After 25 years of television copying Twin Peaks' unique groundbreaking storytelling Lynch has returned with another unique vision. This is much better than a copy of a copy of a copy.
Fans of season 3 seem to think it's not well received by some fans because it's not a copy of the original or a nostalgia fest. I didn't expect a copy or more of the same but what I did expect was overall good compelling television. It ain't that. If you're not going to at least keep the same basic spirit as Twin Peaks, then why use the name and characters? This has been devoid of charm.

This isn't even as good as Mulholland Drive to me, but even if it was, Twin Peaks was special and should not have been used for something like this. People were looking foward to it too much to give them this mess. Use a fresh franchise for something this unpalatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BMS242
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by BMS242 »

Oldhead80 wrote:I think he's a 70+ year old man that obviously (and unfortunately) doesn't have the ability he once did to write and direct at the level he used to. Even when Lynch was accused of writing incoherent stories and making incoherent movies there was a something there that resonated with the viewer. Nothing about S3 resonates with me. The combination of awful writing and bad acting along with Lynch completely losing his feel for being able to terrify the viewer leaves nothing to look forward to other than the nostalgia of the opening credits and song every Sunday night.

If I wasn't so invested in the resolution of Cooper-Bob-Lodge storyline I wouldn't watch another second of this garbage. Just being honest.
After resetting my expectations following Parts 1 and 2, I have been able to enjoy the show and will wait to make a final assessment until it all plays out. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't agree with you regarding Lynch's ability to pull in and terrify the viewer. This is very subjective, but there's a cold, mechanical feel that makes it feel like someone trying to be Lynch rather than actually being Lynch. Lost Highway, MD, IE, Eps 14 and 29 of TP, etc. sucked me in at various points and left me terrified. Here, I can consciously tell when Lynch is trying to go for that vibe and it's not clicking.

I will certainly give Lynch credit for subverting expectations for what the series could/would be and creating some amazing scenes (I loved the purple room stuff), but this is one of the few occasions where I'm just not as enraptured in the mood/atmosphere, even though I typically enjoy darker material (the soap and comedic elements of the original series were my least favortie elements).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Putontheglasses wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:After 25 years of television copying Twin Peaks' unique groundbreaking storytelling Lynch has returned with another unique vision. This is much better than a copy of a copy of a copy.
Fans of season 3 seem to think it's not well received by some fans because it's not a copy of the original or a nostalgia fest. I didn't expect a copy or more of the same but what I did expect was overall good compelling television. It ain't that. If you're not going to at least keep the same basic spirit as Twin Peaks, then why use the name and characters? This has been devoid of charm.

This isn't even as good as Mulholland Drive to me, but even if it was, Twin Peaks was special and should not have been used for something like this. People were looking foward to it too much to give them this mess. Use a fresh franchise for something this unpalatable.

Yet 86% of fans are happy with it.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I would agree with not really being scared by anything yet - at least not in that great sense of pure terror like Lynch manages to pull off. But I'm not sure if we've actually had one of those moments yet. The glass box breakout scene seemed too long to be intended as such, and the weird jail cell figure moment was creepy but in a different way.

I've got a feeling the scenes at the Palmer house are going to be the ones (heard hints about it when spoilers were allowed and that little clip from the trailer)
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Metamorphia wrote:I would agree with not really being scared by anything yet - at least not in that great sense of pure terror like Lynch manages to pull off. But I'm not sure if we've actually had one of those moments yet. The glass box breakout scene seemed too long to be intended as such, and the weird jail cell figure moment was creepy but in a different way.

I've got a feeling the scenes at the Palmer house are going to be the ones (heard hints about it when spoilers were allowed and that little clip from the trailer)
Seeing Sarah watch tv in a dark house was the creepiest scene for me. I don't like that house to begin with but when you turn out the lights...makes me shudder.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Hockey Mask wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:I would agree with not really being scared by anything yet - at least not in that great sense of pure terror like Lynch manages to pull off. But I'm not sure if we've actually had one of those moments yet. The glass box breakout scene seemed too long to be intended as such, and the weird jail cell figure moment was creepy but in a different way.

Seeing Sarah watch tv in a dark house was the creepiest scene for me. I don't like that house to begin with but when you turn out the lights...makes me shudder.
Can't believe Sarah is still living there.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

mlsstwrt wrote:
The Bobby scene was probably the worst for me though. Some people have taken it as a wonderful, heartfelt moment. But a lot of people feel that everything was really off.

REALLY off.
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
I try to imagine if things had of been the other way, and Season 3 had turned out the way I'd visualised it. Musical and quirky, playful but dark, maybe mirroring the first season - with Agent tamara Preston driving into to investigate another murder mystery, eccentric new characters, some familiar faces, some soapy elements remaining and a similar feel to the original.

Maybe the fans of the new season are right, and it would still feel not quite right, that a series which broke the mould was just resuscitated as a nostalgic tribute.
Would not feel right.
Putontheglasses wrote: This isn't like an apple where 1/3 is bad and you can just eat around it. In fact, we've all already had to swallow this rotten crap so far.

When I was a young boy I had an uncle that worked at our family bar. Sometimes when I would go in he would put tobasco sauce in my Coke just to have fun. He didn't hate me and it was affectionate overall, but that's what I think Lynch is doing here. I don't think it's hateful trolling, but I do think it's trolling.

They've done psychological experiments like this before to see how much the participants are willing to tolerate before they finally admit they can't take any more.
Eat around it. :cry:

Like Little Nicky and cheerleader Nadine. It was tolerable panning the muck because you were always rewarded with Lynch gold.

The good has been GREAT, the scares, the baroque flairs upon the existing mythology, I <3 Droolcoop, up until this episode.

Expectations were incredibly high for 6 but in it my worst fears (pandering nostalgia fest vs A Darkened Room tedium) about Return were realized.
My friend said "Carl Rodd; Touched By An Angel" and I about lost it. Made me yearn for a Wally monologue.

The achingly slow reveal of Laura Dern as Diane and Heidi giggling were supposed to make me cream my fangirl jeans, I get it. I'm more interested in Mr C/Jeffries and the key/dossier.

#notungrateful #itsstilltwinpeaks
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Sylvia, what do you make of the Bobby scene being so off?
billloomis

Post by billloomis »

I didn't want to get too deep into bashing last night's episode in the part 6 thread so i came here. Episode 6 was absolute crap. I love the series up to this point but i was seriously falling asleep. The dougie jones gag is absolutely beat to pieces at this point. Here are several things that absolutely SUCKED in episode 6...feel free to bash away:

DOUGIE JONES: This took up what...the first 1/3 of the episode? Naomi Watts and her annoying nagging are almost pushing me away from the show. Her over acting is beyond annoying

FAT TROUT TRAILER PARK: This New FTTP seriously feels tacked on to the series. Just seems like a gag to get Carl near Twin Peaks.

HIT N RUN: The scene after the hit and run was over kill. How many shots and time are wasted on the guy driving and screaming.

MUSIC: At this point we are a 1/3 of the way into the series and the music sucks......the lack of music sucks! WHERE IS THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No excuse for this.
Last edited by billloomis on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

mlsstwrt wrote:Sylvia, what do you make of the Bobby scene being so off?
Seemed excessively reactionary. He had over two decades to process his feelings, even if there was some delayed grieving. This was Leland/Sarah level, and kinda forced. A slightly more restrained reaction would have been more powerful to me.

Did we just need a professional mourner? Have a cry for the bygone era on the audience's behalf? Made me uncomfy, 'spose that was intentional.

billloomis wrote:I didn't want to get to deep into bashing last night's episode in the part 6 thread so i came here. Episode 6 was absolute crap. I love the series up to this point but i was seriously falling asleep. The dougie jones gag is absolutely beat to pieces at this point. Here are several things that absolutely SUCKED in episode 6...feel free to bash away:

DOUGIE JONES: This took up what...the first 1/3 of the episode? Naomi Watts and her annoying nagging are almost pushing me away from the show. Her over acting is beyond annoying

FAT TROUT TRAILER PARK: This New FTTP seriously feels tacked on to the series. Just seems like a gag to get Carl near Twin Peaks.

HIT N RUN: The scene after the hit and run was over kill. How many shots and time are wasted on the guy driving and screaming.

MUSIC: At this point we are a 1/3 of the way into the series and the music sucks......the lack of music sucks! WHERE IS THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No excuse for this.
Nailed it. And Chad's douchehattery. We get it, we do not like Chad, and want him to die a miserable death.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

sylvia_north wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:Sylvia, what do you make of the Bobby scene being so off?
Seemed excessively reactionary. He had over two decades to process his feelings, even if there was some delayed grieving. This was Leland/Sarah level, and kinda forced. A slightly more restrained reaction would have been more powerful to me.

Did we just need a professional mourner? Have a cry for the bygone era on the audience's behalf? Made me uncomfy, 'spose that was intentional.

billloomis wrote:I didn't want to get to deep into bashing last night's episode in the part 6 thread so i came here. Episode 6 was absolute crap. I love the series up to this point but i was seriously falling asleep. The dougie jones gag is absolutely beat to pieces at this point. Here are several things that absolutely SUCKED in episode 6...feel free to bash away:

Nailed it. And Chad's douchehattery. We get it, we do not like Chad, and want him to die a miserable death.
Have you never had an experience tho where something forgotten and repressed suddenly comes back into your life? Sometimes emotions can be overwhelming.

I thought the Bobby scene really, really worked.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Metamorphia wrote:
Have you never had an experience tho where something forgotten and repressed suddenly comes back into your life? Sometimes emotions can be overwhelming.

Not after 25 years, even accounting for delayed grieving. Like I said. Bobby seemed fairly in touch with his emotions in the Diary and series, going through the stages appropriately.
Metamorphia wrote: I thought the Bobby scene really, really worked.
Ok. I wasn't speaking for you, just answering the question.

EDIT: Can we also talk about how not compelling the Red character was in the scene with Richard Horne, with the coin toss? snooze
And more Doris? Really? I won't rule out being trolled anymore.
Last edited by sylvia_north on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Putontheglasses
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Hockey Mask wrote:
Putontheglasses wrote:

Yet 86% of fans are happy with it.
This is close to the kind of reception Phantom Menace got at first, and then after some time when people started to realize that others were hating it, the group think changed and now it's widely hated.

Tribalism and group think is more prevalent than ever in this age of social media echo chambers.

I expect that number to come down dramatically if this keeps up. I'm Predicting a max in the 50% range once the dust settles.

The professional critic reviews are already at 74% on metacritic where they seem to have done a more accurate job of assessment than on Rotten Tomatoes where many Luke warm reviews are marked fresh. 74% still ain't half bad compared to what's on tv now but the original sits at 95% I think.

I could buy that a small percentage of viewers have some kind of artsy eye and can see something in this that I can't but I'm sorry, I don't buy that 85%+ of people are legitimately enjoying this compared to the original and what they hoped for. I think it's just more hip and safe to like something like this than to not and seem unsophisticated. Either that or mainly hardcore Lynch fans are bothering to submit reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Putontheglasses on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
Putontheglasses
Roadhouse Member

Duplicate post deleted.
Putontheglasses
Roadhouse Member

Can't believe Sarah is still living there.
Yeah that was silly. Unless Leland had some kind of huge insurance policy that wasn't voided by the circumstances, Sarah would not stay in a huge house like that by herself, not to mention the bad memories there. I know Peaks is surreal but there has to be some suspension of disbelief.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Putontheglasses on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.