Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by IcedOver »

I'm disappointed in so many things with this show, but the intro is at the bottom of the list. I think the shot of that same old Laura photo is cheesy. I also don't like the emphasis on the Black Lodge. That should be something that's hidden, mysterious, not shoved in your face every episode. I agree with the above poster that the shorter the intro, the better. This isn't a conventionally structured series, just a series of parts edited with a hacksaw (as was evident in Part 6 which had the most "what the hell?" nothing ending of any of them). It's almost not necessary to have any credits, but I guess they put it in because of the nostalgia of the theme. I do wish the theme had been changed somewhat, perhaps to the slowed-down version in the teasers, or not used at all. This show is not the original series, that much is blatantly clear.

But anyway, regarding this latest "part," my feelings on the show have gone from reversing my original negative opinion back down into extremely frustrated with and almost hating it. That hour was just dreadful. Anybody who says that hour was the best of the six has something wrong with them. Either they've completely pre-judged it and aren't really "watching" it, or they have no taste, no discernment in what is good writing/directing/editing/acting.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

last episode was garbage :(
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:Anybody who says that hour was the best of the six has something wrong with them. Either they've completely pre-judged it and aren't really "watching" it, or they have no taste, no discernment in what is good writing/directing/editing/acting.
Despite loving the show, I enjoy lurking this thread regularly and reading differing opinions/analysis. Overall, people are expressing themselves eloquently and have definitely made me think about why exactly I enjoy parts of the show that have been controversial.

However, comments like are unnecessary. This is exactly the type of personal attack many on this thread claim is being made about them on Reddit, etc., if not on this very forum. I loved Part 6, and while I'm sure I have a few things wrong with me (don't we all), I assure you they have no bearing on my enjoyment of this hour of television. There's been some stuff I hated in the show so far (mostly all the Andy/Lucy, and Wally in particular), so I ASSUME I'm capable of discerning stuff that I like from stuff I dislike. As to taste.....well, that's subjective by definition, no? I can explain why Freddy Got Fingered is a technically bad movie in light of conventional notions of filmmaking/storytelling/taste, but I wouldn't feel comfortable saying someone had "no taste" because they like it. Just that their taste is polar opposite to mine.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Twink Peaks wrote:last episode was garbage :(
It was shit, really. The question is whether this was just an aberration or if Lynch and Frost will be able to shovel their way out of the shit. My fear, though, is that the pace and plotlines of this show are set.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
GhostyTMRS

Post by GhostyTMRS »

It's great that there's a thread for people who don't like the new show, but this whole business of "if you liked it then you're lying to yourself" or the passive-aggressive chin stroking of "people who like it are under the spell of the hype" is childish nonsense.

I had read quite a bit of insider info here and elsewhere about the new season and how we weren't going to be spending that much time in Twin Peaks, the original cast will basically be doing cameos, we're going to Vegas, etc, and I was dreading what was to come. I read and heard all of the hype and the podcasts and all I could do was just think "you folks have no idea what you're really gonna get, do you?".
The very first episode The Return was everything I feared the new show was going to be....and I loved it, and I've loved it ever since.
If anything, the weakest parts of the new series are when we head back to Twin Peaks. Frankly, I'm much more interested in everything happening elsewhere.
Yes, the Michael Cera scene was cringeworthy IMO....well, that and the Indie band of the week over the end credits which I interpret as Lynch and Frost saying to kids in their teens and twenties "Hey, you youngsters adopted this show as your own and made it into a phenomenon all over again so here are some of your favorite teen rock stars!") .

All in all, it's a hell of a ride.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:However, comments like are unnecessary. This is exactly the type of personal attack many on this thread claim is being made about them on Reddit, etc., if not on this very forum. I loved Part 6, and while I'm sure I have a few things wrong with me (don't we all), I assure you they have no bearing on my enjoyment of this hour of television. There's been some stuff I hated in the show so far (mostly all the Andy/Lucy, and Wally in particular), so I ASSUME I'm capable of discerning stuff that I like from stuff I dislike. As to taste.....well, that's subjective by definition, no? I can explain why Freddy Got Fingered is a technically bad movie in light of conventional notions of filmmaking/storytelling/taste, but I wouldn't feel comfortable saying someone had "no taste" because they like it. Just that their taste is polar opposite to mine.
You might be missing the point of this particular thread, but whatever. Sure, maybe my comment was harsh, but can anyone honestly say that the Red/Richard scene, the dwarf murders, the kid mowed down, the sheriff's station scene at the end about the soldier, or even Albert's walking through the bar, didn't have something "off" about them from a pacing/editing, directing, character perspective (even compared to other parts of this very show)? If not, what was so competent or even good about those scenes? This is coming from a filmmaker who has rarely if ever had problems with any of these things. Something's wrong. He was rusty or the ambition of the project was too great or . . . something.

Freddy Got Fingered rules. That's a bad example to use. I thought it was very competent from a basic filmmaking perspective, and was crazy and irreverent. You'd be better to cite something like a DIY/shot-on-video schlock film for something that's inept in these areas. To be honest, some scenes in this show haven't felt too much off from some of those. The Andy/Lucy and Wally stuff was gold compared to some of the scenes in Part 6. I could reverse some of these opinions on a re-watch as I have with some of the prior episodes, but I don't anticipate it.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'm pretty sure saying anyone who liked that has no taste is not the point of your thread.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
billloomis

Post by billloomis »

yaxomoxay wrote:
billloomis wrote:Since this is the thread for complaints i will also say that i am really disappointed in the intro. I love the original how we get the bird, water, pipe, sawmill....etc. This one feels like they couldn't photograph the great northern for some reason so they did the downward shot of the waterfall. And it's so zoomed in and close you can barely tell you are in the same spot. Just don't like the new intro. I also do not like the red room in the intro. They have completely taken all the mystery out of that place. They practically set up camp there in the first few episodes and it's in the intro??? Magic has worn off that place fast.

The intro just feels so uninspired. Same old music from the old series. The opening shot over the mountain is nice, but you're telling me they couldn't have done a few more new shots similar to this??? I don't know...it just feels very lazy.
Ok. If there is no mystery, explain to everyone what is going on.
God, the original theme is 90 seconds long. Multiply it by 18 episodes. This would be how much screen time it would've costed to have anything even remotely similar to the original series just to have the same 90 seconds repeated each and every week. I'd rather keep this short intro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not pretending to understand the red room scenes...i simply said they are beating it to death here. Showed it more in the first episode than the entire series almost. This is the complaint thread. I thought heaping praise on the show was meant for the episode discussion threads. I am here to rip the parts i dislike. Intro sucks...simple as that. Slack uninspired crap. Recycled theme, stock photo of Laura. Heck, i would rather have the original intro than this one. For a show that has spent almost no time in twin peaks i wonder why they even used the theme song from 25 years ago?
billloomis

Post by billloomis »

IcedOver wrote:
Twink Peaks wrote:last episode was garbage :(
It was shit, really. The question is whether this was just an aberration or if Lynch and Frost will be able to shovel their way out of the shit. My fear, though, is that the pace and plotlines of this show are set.
Almost unwatchable.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Some of the criticisms here are valid; some are quite baffling.

Point 1: If you are a Lynch and/or Twin Peaks fan and you feel disappointed about so much time in the Black Lodge/Red Room, I just have to scratch my head.

What scenes do you think were Lynch's favorite scenes to direct in the original series? Where did we leave Agent Cooper when we last left the show? What did David Nevins promise we would find out more about in the new series?

Answer: The Black Lodge/Red Room

Point 2: If you don't at least like the Red Room scenes from Part 2 and the initial 30 minutes of part 3, I can only conclude something else about the show has put you in such a negative state that there is nothing Lynch and Frost can do at this stage to make you like the show. I mean those type scenes are what most of us have been craving all these years (taken to a new level).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

billloomis wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
billloomis wrote:Since this is the thread for complaints i will also say that i am really disappointed in the intro. I love the original how we get the bird, water, pipe, sawmill....etc. This one feels like they couldn't photograph the great northern for some reason so they did the downward shot of the waterfall. And it's so zoomed in and close you can barely tell you are in the same spot. Just don't like the new intro. I also do not like the red room in the intro. They have completely taken all the mystery out of that place. They practically set up camp there in the first few episodes and it's in the intro??? Magic has worn off that place fast.

The intro just feels so uninspired. Same old music from the old series. The opening shot over the mountain is nice, but you're telling me they couldn't have done a few more new shots similar to this??? I don't know...it just feels very lazy.
Ok. If there is no mystery, explain to everyone what is going on.
God, the original theme is 90 seconds long. Multiply it by 18 episodes. This would be how much screen time it would've costed to have anything even remotely similar to the original series just to have the same 90 seconds repeated each and every week. I'd rather keep this short intro.

I'm not pretending to understand the red room scenes...i simply said they are beating it to death here. Showed it more in the first episode than the entire series almost. This is the complaint thread. I thought heaping praise on the show was meant for the episode discussion threads. I am here to rip the parts i dislike. Intro sucks...simple as that. Slack uninspired crap. Recycled theme, stock photo of Laura. Heck, i would rather have the original intro than this one. For a show that has spent almost no time in twin peaks i wonder why they even used the theme song from 25 years ago?
Much of the criticism in this thread (which is not a bashing thread) is valid even if I don't agree with part of it.
However some other criticism makes no sense. Just look at what you wrote. You say that you would rather have the old stuff... but then you complain of "recycled" stuff. All while other people say that there isn't much of the old stuff.
I mean, you have the right to love or hate this series as much as you want. I am not saying that you have to like it; far from me the idea that we have to enjoy the same things, after all the beauty of humanity is in our differences.
However I find your criticism quite inconsistent.

Also, what's wrong with the stock photo of Laura? That is probably the single image that defines TP, so I honestly don't get the problem.

Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Is this the thread for criticising other viewers for having different experiences?

Cool. For a moment there I thought it might be the place for criticising the show. What a faux-pas I nearly made!

So: you want to hear about my criticisms?
I don't have any.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

baxter wrote:The funny/fascinating thing for me is this: let's say that you know an old TV show is coming back 25 years after a show that everyone loved, and you are asked to predict what will happen. Straight away, you'll say "some people will love it, some people will hate it, it'll probably be really different. If it isn't some people will moan that it's too retro, and if it is some people won't like it".

None of that prepares you for exactly how that feels, and what camp you are going to be in though. But as a whole, the reception is exactly what every rational person should expect, which makes it valid by definition!
Bingo.
Novalis wrote:Is this the thread for criticising other viewers for having different experiences?

Cool. For a moment there I thought it might be the place for criticising the show. What a faux-pas I nearly made!

I don't have any.
It's been largely diplomatic until this last craptacular episode happened and the doubling down on hyperbolic praise started rolling in, so unpacking the psychology of that has drawn an audience. The intent was never to ruffle feathers, but to bring dissent and ambivalence off the main thread out of politeness so feathers weren't overtly ruffled. Alas, feathers...
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
BMS242
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by BMS242 »

Novalis wrote:Is this the thread for criticising other viewers for having different experiences?

I don't have any.
Personally I think both sides could word their comments a little better to avoid overgeneralizations that can be perceived as antagonizing.

I've been toggling between the main episode threads and this one because I'm both fascinated by the show and have gripes with it and I've seen plenty of digs in the episode threads at the opinions being expressed in this thread, as well as vice versa (resulting in increasingly circular defensiveness and passive aggressive jabs at the other "side"). I don't really understand why people need to focus so much on critiquing others' differing opinions. It's apparently a polarizing show, and it's very doubtful anyone is going to change someone else's mind (particularly with backhanded comments). If someone is falling back on typical crap like "They must not get Lynch," "They will worship any turd Lynch releases," etc., it's probably best to just not post it.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Not saying that there wasn't a better analogy for 'going along with a dominant ideology unquestioningly than the Final Solution.' I think that's called Godwin's Law? Or maybe that's when you call someone a Nazi? It's can be a conversation stopper. People already made the Jim Jones reference, and invoked other psychological studies. Many of us have even admitted we're giving the project way more of a chance because we're also fans!
BMS242 wrote: If someone is falling back on typical crap like "They must not get Lynch," "They will worship any turd Lynch releases," etc., it's probably best to just not post it.
I think that's what some people who in are the majority controlling the dialogue elsewhere are hearing but that's not what people are saying, not in such reductionist terms, at least. It's more thoughtful than that, like, ''what if..." this is an example of groupthink/a psychological experiment. The kinds of things you'd expect to find on the one thread where uncensored criticism is encouraged...? You could just as easily say if such criticism offends you that much, knowing no one's mind is going to be changed, maybe avoid the 'empty can' contingent altogether? Bunch of insufferable assholes over here :wink:
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03