Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
Gabriel
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Gabriel » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:42 pm

Jerry Horne wrote:Forum rules

Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers is not permitted. Keep the mystery alive.


Yes we know. We try hard. We need to try harder! ;)

Luvya Jerry! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4421
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Jerry Horne » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:44 pm

:D :wink:
User avatar
Adolphus
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Adolphus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Adolphus wrote:I think the new series looks great- as far as the " flat, electronic " look- I find that other series shot on digital such as " Better Call Saul " have the same look- I think it's the depth of film ( the richness of the blacks that adds that feeling of depth compared to digital ) that the poster is noticing above ( and quite an acute eye they have as well ). I think there are still differences between film and digital, but now they are pretty subtle. I'd have preferred to see the new TP shot on film but the digital works fine for me personally- in fact I think it suits the new series better, adding that much more to how different it is from the original series ( in a good way ).


New Twin Peaks has an extremely distinctive look, fully embracing the look of a less processed digital image.

It's not a criticism to say that it has a flatter, more overtly digital look; that's a simple fact. Many of us have discussed Lynch and Deming's choices at length here for some weeks. No, I don't particularly care for it. It's not a choice I'd make, but they see clearly something that appeals to them.

Not sure why Skippy-boy is taking such enormous offence at that but clearly he's not seeing something everyone else does. Can't imagine why other editors and a couple of grading guys I know have discussed it with me if it's fake. Most likely Skip has his TV set up with lots of smooth motion effects, meaning everything looks electronic.

My point was that digital DOES look different from film- but I take your point about Lynch & co. potentially not using ' effects' on the footage- i'd have to hear it from the horses mouth to believe it- the footage looks great to me- but then I'm no expert.
User avatar
HagbardCeline
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 12:53 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby HagbardCeline » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:• Did the Trailer Park not move? It's called the "New" Fat Trout Trailer Park. If it didn't move, does that mean every morning Carl drives from Deer Meadow in Oregon into Twin Peaks, Washington just to enjoy that park and a coffee?


The fact that you think Deer Meadow is in Oregon shows that you seem to have missed a lot. All evidence says that Deer Meadow is in Washington.
User avatar
Gabriel
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Gabriel » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Adolphus wrote:My point was that digital DOES look different from film- but I take your point about Lynch & co. potentially not using ' effects' on the footage- i'd have to hear it from the horses mouth to believe it- the footage looks great to me- but then I'm no expert.

Hey Adolphus! I think we're talking at cross-purposes then. ;) The gentleman who got very cross with me was denying that the show has a digital look and taking great offence at my description of that digital look.

I'm not saying the footage looks 'bad' per se; I'm saying it's a look I, personally – as an individual with his own opinions and prejudices – don't particularly care for on this production. If it was a crime documentary with re-enactments, for example, I'd be fine with it. It doesn't have the typical look of a 'filmic' drama series, whether shot on film or shot using digital acquisition – I pulled the couple of TV shows out off the top of my head because I quite simply didn't even think mentioning the electronic look would be questioned since it's been discussed going right back to the teasers. Where many TV dramas that use digital acquisition aim to emulate a filmic look, Lynch and Deming have gone the whole hog and embraced the pure digital look, which is, by its nature, 'flatter' and 'more overtly electronic' unless you go to lengths for it not to be so.

Lynch and Deming could easily have simulated the look of the old show or the pilot or FWWM by choosing the necessary acquisition equipment and treating the visuals in post. The Amira is commonly associated with documentaries and the guys have clearly chosen that documentary/OB look. I can see it a mile off, but when you've spent your formative years locked away doing QC work, you become particularly sensitive to different looks and materials (not to mention a constant need for sunglasses after watching TV in a darkened room for eight hours a day! :wink: )

Anyway, I could talk about this tech stuff all night because I love it, but I have work in the morning at it's 12.45am on a punishingly humid night in my flat, so I have to bid you adieu with regret.

Cheers! :D
User avatar
Mallard
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Mallard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:53 pm

HagbardCeline wrote:
Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:• Did the Trailer Park not move? It's called the "New" Fat Trout Trailer Park. If it didn't move, does that mean every morning Carl drives from Deer Meadow in Oregon into Twin Peaks, Washington just to enjoy that park and a coffee?


The fact that you think Deer Meadow is in Oregon shows that you seem to have missed a lot. All evidence says that Deer Meadow is in Washington.


That's a bit unfair. I've seen a bunch of places over the years reference Deer Meadow as being in Oregon. I do think TSHOTP places it in Washington definitively, but people are still arguing whether it's canon or not.

Regardless, I don't think someone should have their fan card revoked over it.
Welcome...to the third...place.
User avatar
Adolphus
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Adolphus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Adolphus wrote:My point was that digital DOES look different from film- but I take your point about Lynch & co. potentially not using ' effects' on the footage- i'd have to hear it from the horses mouth to believe it- the footage looks great to me- but then I'm no expert.

Hey Adolphus! I think we're talking at cross-purposes then. ;) The gentleman who got very cross with me was denying that the show has a digital look and taking great offence at my description of that digital look.

I'm not saying the footage looks 'bad' per se; I'm saying it's a look I, personally – as an individual with his own opinions and prejudices – don't particularly care for on this production. If it was a crime documentary with re-enactments, for example, I'd be fine with it. It doesn't have the typical look of a 'filmic' drama series, whether shot on film or shot using digital acquisition – I pulled the couple of TV shows out off the top of my head because I quite simply didn't even think mentioning the electronic look would be questioned since it's been discussed going right back to the teasers. Where many TV dramas that use digital acquisition aim to emulate a filmic look, Lynch and Deming have gone the whole hog and embraced the pure digital look, which is, by its nature, 'flatter' and 'more overtly electronic' unless you go to lengths for it not to be so.

Lynch and Deming could easily have simulated the look of the old show or the pilot or FWWM by choosing the necessary acquisition equipment and treating the visuals in post. The Amira is commonly associated with documentaries and the guys have clearly chosen that documentary/OB look. I can see it a mile off, but when you've spent your formative years locked away doing QC work, you become particularly sensitive to different looks and materials (not to mention a constant need for sunglasses after watching TV in a darkened room for eight hours a day! :wink: )

Anyway, I could talk about this tech stuff all night because I love it, but I have work in the morning at it's 12.45am on a punishingly humid night in my flat, so I have to bid you adieu with regret.

Cheers! :D

Alright- I remind you that I mentioned Better Call Saul ( shot on digital ) and how different it looked from Breaking Bad ( shot on film ). I was much more disappointed between how those two series looked- Breaking bad looking stellar, and Btter Call Saul looking flat and digital- I got used to the way " Saul " looked ( I think the series must have upgraded on equipment between season 1 and 2 ) but I think the difference was a much great disparity than that between the old and new TP. Hence my reasoning that it is the technology used to shoot the series that accounts for the differing looks.
User avatar
Adolphus
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Adolphus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Jerry Horne wrote::D :wink:

What's with the winking emojis? Something I'm missing?
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4421
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Jerry Horne » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Adolphus wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote::D :wink:

What's with the winking emojis? Something I'm missing?


Nope. Just a friendly wink.
User avatar
Twin Peaks Podcast
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:43 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Twin Peaks Podcast » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:26 pm

HagbardCeline wrote:
Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:• Did the Trailer Park not move? It's called the "New" Fat Trout Trailer Park. If it didn't move, does that mean every morning Carl drives from Deer Meadow in Oregon into Twin Peaks, Washington just to enjoy that park and a coffee?


The fact that you think Deer Meadow is in Oregon shows that you seem to have missed a lot. All evidence says that Deer Meadow is in Washington.


Check this out:
http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:De ... skin=oasis

One of many links I've found discussing the location of Deer Meadow.

It doesn't seem to be a widely established fact. There's been confusion in the past so if I am indeed wrong, then I think you'll have to go a little easier on me.
User avatar
Adolphus
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Adolphus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Jerry Horne wrote:
Adolphus wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote::D :wink:

What's with the winking emojis? Something I'm missing?


Nope. Just a friendly wink.

I thought there might be some Bookhouse Boys shenanigans going on.
LateReg
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby LateReg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:52 pm

BOB1 wrote:Technical things aside - am I the only person who thought that the "evolution of the arm" in the scene when Dougie is assaulted was rubbish? And I mean, I truly hate this tree thing but even if it was the one and only little Michael J. Anderson who appeared to Dougie from under the ground to tell him to do whatever to the hand of the assaulter, still it would be stupid! I think the scene in itself was really good and Dougie's reaction to the attack - priceless. Did he really need to get adviced (so terribly literally) from the other world?


I loved it. It elevated the scene for me, and the scene was already as exciting as hell with just Coop springing to action, as you said. But when the tree popped up, the scene solidified into something truly wild and otherworldly, which carried on into the interviews.
IcedOver
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby IcedOver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Anybody else suspect that the show migbt be divided in half, with the front nine detailing Good Coop's return to himself and TP, and the back nine centering on a TP-centric story with Good versus Evil Coop? I wonder if perhaps what we are currently watching is the "addition" they made after it was expanded to 18 hours. Regardless, a shift is necessary to the show. It can't keep on this same track and not change things up.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
LateReg
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby LateReg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:16 pm

IcedOver wrote:Anybody else suspect that the show migbt be divided in half, with the front nine detailing Good Coop's return to himself and TP, and the back nine centering on a TP-centric story with Good versus Evil Coop? I wonder if perhaps what we are currently watching is the "addition" they made after it was expanded to 18 hours. Regardless, a shift is necessary to the show. It can't keep on this same track and not change things up.


I actually had this same thought, including that we've so far only seen bits and pieces of what would have constituted the originally announced 9 hours, most of which will occur in the second half.

That said, I also abandoned that notion because I'm not so sure an "addition" exists because Lynch/Frost did say that they worked for a very long time on writing/perfecting the first two hours, which I assume we've already seen. Unless they were continuously brainstorming and adding to the original 400 page script since the original October 2014 announcement, I think The Return was always going to be what we are seeing now, but Showtime wasn't really grasping how long the final product would be.
Daliz
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Daliz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 pm

IcedOver wrote:Anybody else suspect that the show migbt be divided in half, with the front nine detailing Good Coop's return to himself and TP, and the back nine centering on a TP-centric story with Good versus Evil Coop? I wonder if perhaps what we are currently watching is the "addition" they made after it was expanded to 18 hours.


Yes I thought exactly this.
Maybe what we're seeing is a kind of "prologue" to the actual, 9-part Twin Peaks.

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests