Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
I was back on board last episode. But this----
This----episode 8 business.....
Surely this is a fuck you to the audience? I'm still riding this wave to the beach, but should we be calling the authorities about the tsunami?
This series really feels like psychological abuse.
I am not going to talk about the fact that you hate the show as it's not only your right but a legitimate feeling, even if I disagree.

But let me disagree as vehemently as possible with the above statement. Episode 8 was the biggest, greatest love letter to Twin Peaks fans. We invested time and some money in it, and yesterday David Lynch transformed the whole world of Twin Peaks from a mild murder mystery in a god forsaken town in which two forces are fighting to the most important event in human history.
He moved Laura from being an abused druggie to a creation of God that most likely suffered to save our world. It made Twin Peaks the most important place in history due to human's choices (the nuke). He made everything the center of the existence planes, including the lodges. He made Bob the creation of pure evil (or pain and suffering on a nuclear scale), making Cooper's sacrifice even more incredible.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Jonah wrote:Overall, there seems to be a lot more sniping and trolling on this board than ever before. A poster in the Part 8 thread counted the number of "i's" I used in my review of Part 8 and made a snarky comment about it. Lol. Back in the good old days, before the new series, I don't remember these kind of (dare I say bitchy?) remarks being used.
Post count. Says it all.

And if it's pro/contra, everone's entitled to their own and we should treat that respectfully. That's what we're on here for! :)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

dronerstone wrote:
Jonah wrote:Overall, there seems to be a lot more sniping and trolling on this board than ever before. A poster in the Part 8 thread counted the number of "i's" I used in my review of Part 8 and made a snarky comment about it. Lol. Back in the good old days, before the new series, I don't remember these kind of (dare I say bitchy?) remarks being used.
Post count. Says it all.
Yes, it does.
dronerstone wrote:And if it's pro/contra, everone's entitled to their own and we should treat that respectfully. That's what we're on here for! :)
Agreed!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Manwith »

Mallard wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote:
Panapaok wrote:This is incorrect, pure and simple. Frost was present during the whole WA filming, people from this forum who spectated the filming saw him pretty much every day. And he was present in at least some of the filming in LA, as evidenced by production stills.

Saying that this is just Lynch in his self righteous form and not noticing Frost's major influence in this episode (and series in general) is bizarre to say the least.
What exactly was Frost's major influence in the last episode?
I think he's referring to how much of it falls in line with the subject matter of The Secret History. And I agree; there's no getting around Frost's fingerprints being all over this.
Right, Frost ties the Lodge creatures to events in American history in his book- and here we visit an earlier era of American history and see how the lodges tie in.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Well okay then. That was the shot in the arm the show needed, although I expect it to go right back to its problems. I knew that after last week and Evil Coop getting loose, it needed horror, and this was it. It wasn't sterling, but the change of pace was necessary.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
gladhand

Post by gladhand »

It's the first time I've posted in this thread. Didn't think I would but here I am. After really enjoying last week's episode (7), this felt like the first time (episode 8) I've felt disappointed by the series.

I thought the effects, costumes and make up all looked a bit naff. The woodsman asking for a light just felt silly and didn't have the same mood as the woodsman above the convenience store in FWWM at all. I think in time, the series might well feel like 18 separate David Lynch mini-movies, some of which will be better than others. Episodes 2, 3, and 4 have been my favourites so far.

A lot of the time this series feels like an entirely new thing with a few Twin Peaks references shoe-horned into it. The Bob & Laura images in this new episode (8) for example; I'm sure you'll analyse those moments ad nauseam but I'm not convinced that they'll turn out to signify anything. Take out Bob, Laura, the giant and "convenience store" sign and this episode would have no connection to Twin Peaks whatsoever.

I'm not against that generally (I like the Buckhorn plot) but this episode didn't feel like it had anything to do with anything.
anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

gladhand wrote:Take out Bob, Laura, the giant and "convenience store" sign and this episode would have no connection to Twin Peaks whatsoever.
They're the main themes of the episode. :lol:
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Top top Showtime boss at CBS Corporation: "GET ME NEVINS ON THE PHONE"

Nevins picks up the phone: "Yes...hello...sir. How can I ...hhhelp..yyou?"

Top top Showtime boss at CBS Corporation: "NEVINS...........YOU'RE FIRED!"
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Hmmm... random thoughts...

Kubrick already dunnit... so did Jonathan Glazer... so did David Lynch... so did Walerian Borowczyk...

Was the egg the same one from Dune? (Dougie Jones nicked his hairstyle off Paul Atreides)

Ronnie Corbett should have introduced the Nine Inch Nails

I couldn't help but think of the dream sequence in Beavis and Butthead Do America when NiN appeared

The wilful obscurity was likely inevitable after last week

It was very pretty

It made sense to me

At this point, I've accepted Lynch has decided to use aspects of Twin Peaks and make a different programme

Y'know, I'm cool with tonight's part

My enthusiasm span into disillusionment and now I think I'm just indifferent

It is what it is and the world is less interesting without people like David Lynch in it; as much as I've moved on with my life, he's moved on in his

I think I'm done for a while

Seeya
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

gladhand wrote:Take out Bob, Laura, the giant and "convenience store" sign and this episode would have no connection to Twin Peaks whatsoever.
"Take out the most important elements of the episode, which are all from the original TP, and this episode would have no connection to Twin Peaks whatsoever."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gladhand

Post by gladhand »

yaxomoxay wrote:
"Take out the most important elements of the episode, which are all from the original TP, and this episode would have no connection to Twin Peaks whatsoever."

anthoto1 wrote:They're the main themes of the episode. :lol:
I don't agree, I think the only important points of the episode, and even these feel silly, are:
- Evil Coop gets shot during his getaway
- Evil Coop miraculously recovers from being shot

Nothing happened in this episode, really. I don't think anything that occurred in the earlier timezone will be significant to the other plots.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

gladhand wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

anthoto1 wrote:They're the main themes of the episode. :lol:
I don't agree, I think the only important points of the episode, and even these feel silly, are:

Nothing happened in this episode, really. I don't think anything that occurred in the earlier timezone will be significant to the other plots.
You just witnessed the birth of what happened in TP's fight of good vs. Evil (the one the bookhouse boys mention to cooper in the RR), and you just watched the revelation that Laura is not just an abused druggie, you just saw how the most famous evil spirit (BOB) was born, you just watched the revelation of how the two worlds collided, and you just watched that someone (Giant) is watching over us while someone else (Mother) wants to destroy us... and nothing significant happened ?

You must hate the first half of FWWM then.

anthoto1
Roadhouse Member

Post by anthoto1 »

gladhand wrote:I don't agree, I think the only important points of the episode, and even these feel silly, are:
Well, I guess you're entitled to your opinion but you're missing the whole point of an episode that actually adds A LOT to the original mythology. Which is a bit surprising for someone complaining about how everything feels unrelated to the old Twin Peaks.
gladhand

Post by gladhand »

yaxomoxay wrote:you just watched the revelation that Laura is not just an abused druggie

Well that I agree with..She's also a head in a glowing ball that can float into a ceiling-mounted trombone. Who knew?
KnewItsPa
Roadhouse Member

Post by KnewItsPa »

Well we really didn't need that explaining and expanding upon. I mean really. Why does everything need to have a back-story? Just let the Lodgefolk be weirdos. This goes right back to my initial feeling about being too damn obvious with the supernatural stuff. It doesn't come off as weird - it comes off as B-Movie sci-fi (which I like, but I'm not pretending it's Twin Peaks).

Laura the pure, clean, golden spirit being sent down from Jabbas Palace on Geidi Prime by the Giant doesn't feel remotely connected to the original mythology, and nor does the connexion with the atomic bomb and the woodsmen. Atomic bomb, yeah, that really fits in with the original Twin Peaks, not glued on with pine resin and hammered on with nine inch nails at all.

And unless Mr. C had a bullet-proof vest, the rising from the dead is hugely vexatious and outside the symbolic framework of the original for supernatural agents to intervene in such a dramatically tangible way. Verging on complete bunkum.
"Crack the code, solve the crime."