Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by mlsstwrt »

Driftwood wrote:it's really weird and just completely baffling to me that people who were supposedly twin peaks fans all this time, for this one would just turn into exactly the kind of people who got the original show cancelled in the first place. Or backlashed against fwwm. People learn nothing from history.
So those of us who don't like this were not really ever Twin Peaks fans? This gets better and better.

What is your answer? To unquestioningly adore whatever we've given because it's called 'Twin Peaks' and made by David Lynch?

If I don't like a TV show, ultimately I'll just tune out. Are you saying I shouldn't have the right to do that? Hell, BECAUSE it's TP I'll watch until the bitter end but I'm not quite sure what you are blaming us for. I think Twin Peaks got cancelled because Lynch's idea at the time stretched to, oh around 16 Episodes and I'm not sure there was much to keep it going beyond that. I agree that revealing the killer was the death knell but I think the show had begun to lose direction even before the reveal.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

the people constantly demanding they solve laura palmers murder were not being very good twin peaks fans in my opinion, no

the people this time around immediately declaring the whole thing is nonsense, "what was the point of this horne brothers scene in the first hour of this 18 hour movie, we're probably not even going to see them again" etc etc, are not much better

I know it might be a big demand to expect a little better from twin peaks fans than to be the guy who is constantly asking what the point of what is happening on screen in the middle of a movie theater cause he hasn't figured out how storytelling works, but what can I say
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Driftwood wrote:it's really weird and just completely baffling to me that people who were supposedly twin peaks fans all this time, for this one would just turn into exactly the kind of people who got the original show cancelled in the first place. Or backlashed against fwwm. People learn nothing from history.
Jeez, I should really learn to feel differently as I do because it would be good for the show. Priceless...
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Okay I guess the people who demanded they solve laura's murder, were actually GREAT for the show. lol.
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

Post by AnotherBlueRoseCase »

Last edited by AnotherBlueRoseCase on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Agent Earle wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:

All I'm saying is... Lynch pulled out half way through this production, and was evidently going through some inner turmoil as evidenced by the emotional confusion in the narrative. Emotionally this thing is all over the shop

It's worth noting that Frost penned Secret history AFTER filming this. So maybe all those people who complained about Frost introducing all this mythology could consider the possibility that (like with the fire walk with me ring) Frost was attempting to make some sort of sense, of the many disordered threads of Lynch's subconscious.
This is cool fanfic but you should be able to say what you dislike about this season without making shit up about what happened during the shoot and the mental states of Lynch & Frost
There's a difference between "making shit up" and speculating. People have been doing the latter all over the place on Dugpa (and elsewhere).
Thanks for backing me up. I mean truthfully I am making things up. As if I really know what happened on set. No one seemed to have any problems saying secret history was Frosts wheelhaus and making those accusations about the process they had no idea about. But the Lynch cult won't have a bad word said about their prophet.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:
This is cool fanfic but you should be able to say what you dislike about this season without making shit up about what happened during the shoot and the mental states of Lynch & Frost
There's a difference between "making shit up" and speculating. People have been doing the latter all over the place on Dugpa (and elsewhere).
Thanks for backing me up. I mean truthfully I am making things up. As if I really know what happened on set. No one seemed to have any problems saying secret history was Frosts wheelhaus and making those accusations about the process they had no idea about. But the Lynch cult won't have a bad word said about their prophet.

Anyway guys, were generating a lot of bad creamed corn in this thead. We don't want the black-face homeless guys skirting about here... so let's all grow some big gold balls inside us and try to remember we're all friends.

Don't make me activate some co-ordinates in Argentina!

Dalai Cooper wrote:This is cool fanfic but you should be able to say what you dislike about this season without making shit up about what happened during the shoot and the mental states of Lynch & Frost
Oh. You're nice and wet!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

mlsstwrt wrote:And we care about different things. I don't care about how amazing every pixel on the screen has been rendered or the level of technical genius. It means nothing to me. Don't get me wrong, if those things contribute to some overall effect then of course they are important, but they mean nothing to me IN ISOLATION. And in The Return those 'brilliant' aspects only exist in isolation because the overall effect is extreme tedium.
No, actually we care about the same things (while I may also care about additional things as well, I don't know). We just differ on whether they exist in this revival. I think they do, you think they don't. I don't think they exist in isolation, you do. That's fine.
I'm just astounded that FWWM got slammed when it was first shown (I loved it from the off) and this is being absolutely gushed over. I don't get it.
I think the fanbase reaction is very similar to FWWM - very divisive, increasingly intense. I think the critical reaction is surprisingly the polar opposite, which makes me happy, personally.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:Thanks for backing me up. I mean truthfully I am making things up. As if I really know what happened on set. No one seemed to have any problems saying secret history was Frosts wheelhaus and making those accusations about the process they had no idea about. But the Lynch cult won't have a bad word said about their prophet.
But it didn't happen the way you say, and so it isn't the basis for a discussion. That's not cult thought, it's just avoiding baseless conspiracy theory that justifies personal dissatisfaction with the material. You can be as dissatisfied as you want, that's fine, but none of us have a right to alternative facts.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

N. Needleman wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:And we care about different things. I don't care about how amazing every pixel on the screen has been rendered or the level of technical genius. It means nothing to me. Don't get me wrong, if those things contribute to some overall effect then of course they are important, but they mean nothing to me IN ISOLATION. And in The Return those 'brilliant' aspects only exist in isolation because the overall effect is extreme tedium.
No, actually we care about the same things (while I may also care about additional things as well, I don't know). We just differ on whether they exist in this revival. I think they do, you think they don't. I don't think they exist in isolation, you do. That's fine.
I'm just astounded that FWWM got slammed when it was first shown (I loved it from the off) and this is being absolutely gushed over. I don't get it.
I think the fanbase reaction is very similar to FWWM - very divisive, increasingly intense. I think the critical reaction is surprisingly the polar opposite, which makes me happy, personally.
Nice that we agree for once ;-)

Is the fanbase reaction really that divisive? I mean outside of this thread? I don't really know, honestly. But yeah, it's nice when you love something to see it critically lauded, especially when everyone else seems to hate it. I was amazingly happy to see Spring Breakers make BBC culture's list of top 100 films.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I mean, the various fan podcast folks seem pretty split down the middle. But I don't listen to any of them, so I can't be 100% sure. Reddit, Tumblr and social media are often bitterly divided between loving it and being frothing mad, and then there's the romantic shipper fans which, never mind.

I always knew it would be divisive. I didn't think it would go over better (so far) with critics than with some elements of the fandom, which is interesting.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

N. Needleman wrote:I mean, the various fan podcast folks seem pretty split down the middle. But I don't listen to any of them, so I can't be 100% sure. Reddit, Tumblr and social media are often bitterly divided between loving it and being frothing mad, and then there's the romantic shipper fans which, never mind.

I always knew it would be divisive. I didn't think it would go over better (so far) with critics than with some elements of the fandom, which is interesting.
Interesting. Yeah I haven't found much negative stuff out there from critics.

I still sort of admire all of this and people for being open to it. Would rather have some crazy, spectacular experiment than another mediocre sassy rom com or other such garbage. I mean 2001 and Enter the Void are two of my all time favorite movies but I'm afraid I just don't like this. No idea how I would have reacted to it if it was a standalone work and not a follow up to the TP I knew and loved.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

mlsstwrt wrote:Interesting. Yeah I haven't found much negative stuff out there from critics.
Well, if it helps the guy at TV Guide (who spent a long few minutes with Mark Frost in some red carpet interview months ago pleading with him to make sure the new show is just like Season 1) was pissed!
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

The new series is making original Twin Peaks look positively quaint. It's television Jim, but not as we know it.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

If you're not enjoying the new stuff it doesn't mean you're not a Twin Peaks fan.

That's like saying you're not a Twin Peaks fan because you disliked the Jean Renault / Dead Dog Farm stuff.

Someone else can't decide you're not a Twin Peaks fan... you have to do that for yourself :D We're not school kids any more

Anyway, I'm loving it so I'm DEFINITELY a fan :P