Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:Even Mr C walking covered in blood in daylight, and that whole Tarantino esque scene at 'the farm' was the first time I'd really resonated with that doppelgänger side of the show. It doesn't feel like a ridiculous melodrama to me, but logically I can't explain why. All the parts are stil the same. Before I was analysing the actors trying to reconfigure themselves, and now for the first time its like, I can only see the characters. Gordon Cole and cooper and Diane and Bobby and Betty Briggs--- they feel as real and larger than life now than they ever did, and.... god it's just so magical to be transported back.
Heh, interesting that you use the word "Tarantinoesque"....my first thought upon mention of "Mr. Strawberry" was Reservoir Dogs!

I'm enjoying the Mr. C stuff for what it is, but really beginning to wonder what the payoff will be. So far, it seems like the "real" Coop's journey and the season overall is a meditation on aging, passage of time, and most significantly, finding/losing your identity. The "Dougie" stuff seems SO beautifully linked to DKL's daughter Lula (who would have been 3-4 during shooting, and processing the world much like DougieCoop), but also tragically a manifestation of what Mark's dad might have been like on his worst days with Alzheimer's. It's heartbreaking, yet oddly sweet, to see Dale, a man who had such a strong and uncompromising sense of personal identity, reduced to repeating others' words like a certain mynah bird.

But how does Mr. C play into this? We all expected going into the season that Coop's identity crisis would be "good vs. bad"...L/F have provided us something deeper and completely unexpected, but so far, to my eye, this leaves DoppelCoop out in the cold thematically. Sure, his scenes have been fun to watch as Kyle does his thing, but they basically amount to an irredeemably evil dude killing characters we don't know/care about. DKL typically contrasts darkness and light to great effect (see BV, IE, and of course the original TP). At this point, though, the DoppelCoop scenes have no context in the broader arc of the narrative. I'm pretty confident they'll fit in eventually, and knowing David and Mark it will be in a totally unexpected way. But I am getting a little antsy in this regard.
I can see that. I had the same frustrations with Dougie. Agent Cooper will come back soon and things will play out one way or another. Only eight weeks to go!
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

yaxomoxay wrote:
mtsi wrote:I'm genuinely enjoying the show, HOWEVER I CANNOT STAND THE EMPTY COFFEE CUPS OR THE EMPTY BEER CONTAINERS.

Put F'ing water or something in them. It's so distracting.

Copper with the coffee. Sky with the beer. Augh!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yeah the beer can was unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't even notice it. Would love a screenshot.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by mtsi »

dugpa wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
mtsi wrote:I'm genuinely enjoying the show, HOWEVER I CANNOT STAND THE EMPTY COFFEE CUPS OR THE EMPTY BEER CONTAINERS.

Put F'ing water or something in them. It's so distracting.

Copper with the coffee. Sky with the beer. Augh!!

Yeah the beer can was unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't even notice it. Would love a screenshot.
It's the sound. You can hear her slam the can down over and over and it's clearly empty.....and the terribly faked drinking....at least try, ya know? Just like the whole stupid stacked coffee cups. Augh.

I'm glad I like the rest of the show. ;)

We live inside a dream.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Wow. I must be getting old. I usually notice those kind of things.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

But isn't it so odd that it's the sound of the beer can? Sound...in a David Lynch movie...I didn't notice it on first viewing like others did, but when I found out about I thought, there's no way that this most meticulous of sound designer directors missed that. I myself have been prone to nervously and forgetfully pick up an empty can over and over while deep in conversation and slurp every last drop. Is it part of her character? Did he leave it like that for a reason? Or did he really just miss it? I'm more fascinated by that than I am distracted.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

LateReg wrote:But isn't it so odd that it's the sound of the beer can? Sound...in a David Lynch movie...I didn't notice it on first viewing like others did, but when I found out about I thought, there's no way that this most meticulous of sound designer directors missed that. I myself have been prone to nervously and forgetfully pick up an empty can over and over while deep in conversation and slurp every last drop. Is it part of her character? Did he leave it like that for a reason? Or did he really just miss it? I'm more fascinated by that than I am distracted.
Yeah, her character is extremely fidgety and constantly picking up that can to slurp whatever drops are left reads to me as somewhat compulsive. Makes sense to me. It's kind of funny how much this bothers so many people. I wouldn't ever have given it a second thought.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I guess it could be a nervous tic. Still, annoying and I don't think so. That doesn't explain the failed Cooper coffee sequences, which ALL feature empty cups where he drinks to the exact same level over and over again.

We live inside a dream.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

It's so strange thinking over how this show might play out.

Because it defies its own genre, what would be a satisfactory conclusion?
It's not about the murder of Laura Palmer. The murder of Ruth Davenport and Briggs seems less mysterious given what we know about Mr C...
Yet it's quite possible the murderer will turn out to be someone completely unexpected, Bobby Briggs? Gordon Cole?

On the other hand you have the sense that the whole thing is an X files case. So how should an x files case end? Gordon's unit break into the convenience store and have a show down with the Dugpa? Or they find out roughly what happened, but like Scully and mulder can only file away the report as another blue rose case. The evil stays out in the woods?

Then there is the epic space opera, Laura Palmer as saviour of humanity. Maybe that will play out as Laura coming to life; or who knows what. If that happens I don't think it will have a precedent in any piece of fiction ever.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

LateReg wrote:But isn't it so odd that it's the sound of the beer can? Sound...in a David Lynch movie...I didn't notice it on first viewing like others did, but when I found out about I thought, there's no way that this most meticulous of sound designer directors missed that. I myself have been prone to nervously and forgetfully pick up an empty can over and over while deep in conversation and slurp every last drop. Is it part of her character? Did he leave it like that for a reason? Or did he really just miss it? I'm more fascinated by that than I am distracted.
Did he purposely recycle the shot of Janey E taking the first bite of the sandwich, or Sonny Jim in bed? DKL has privilege to be a bit sloppy and say, let's call it a happy accident, fans will have fun justifying it. Au Revoir Simone really gets on my nerves I guess that's to be expected when you're using pop music instead of one singer/one composer. Can't win em all.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

sylvia_north wrote:
Did he purposely recycle the shot of Janey E taking the first bite of the sandwich, or Sonny Jim in bed? DKL has privilege to be a bit sloppy and say, let's call it a happy accident, fans will have fun justifying it. Au Revoir Simone really gets on my nerves I guess that's to be expected when you're using pop music instead of one singer/one composer. Can't win em all.
Yes, I'm sure he did purposely recycle those shots. It's a choice he made. I don't view that as necessarily sloppy nor brilliant and I don't see a point of making such things an automatic focus of criticism. It's simply a choice made during the filming and editing process. I'm speaking as someone who despises the goofs section of IMDB, where half the goofs listed for any given movie aren't actually goofs.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

LateReg wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:
Yes, I'm sure he did purposely recycle those shots. It's a choice he made. I don't view that as necessarily sloppy nor brilliant and I don't see a point of making such things an automatic focus of criticism. It's simply a choice made during the filming and editing process. I'm speaking as someone who despises the goofs section of IMDB, where half the goofs listed for any given movie aren't actually goofs.
He's not a sloppy filmmaker so yeah it's intentional, not a goof. I was a script supervisor for a minute and the Imdb goofs- the real ones- always gets blamed on me, but I'm not in the editing room! A director/editor are going to choose the take that looks good even if it defies continuity. Or, recycle a shot bc it's not worth a reshoot. They made a long take of her eating, and possibly just likes the look in her eye on the first bite better than the 4th or 5th bite. There's a gray area that DKL calls a happy accident where accidents make him happy so post hoc become intentional. There's no way someone said "Well no one will notice just use that take again here," but the intent came in the editing room when he decided it worked for him and just maaaayyybe fans would wet their pants deciding why, bc he's got quirky director privilege. I'd swear on my mom's grave no one said in preproduction "We'll cut back to Janey-E and reuse the circle take of her biting the sandwich for effect" and that it was either a creative decision or decision to let it slide in post. Similarly, getting propmaster or PA to fill the can take after take might have seemed like extra effort when you could just justify it as "a character tic" on the fly.

Au Revoir Simone wearing the same outfits tho? I would have said something to DKL if I was Corey Glazer on that one. It's possible they did those performances on one take and didn't have the scripty time or script them and no one considered what would be used when in what episode til picking music in post.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The negative reaction to the beer can (which I barely notice even knowing to look for it) may be the most unanimous fandom opinion in the run of the new show. Never has a dodgy piece of foley generated such outrage. :lol:
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The negative reaction to the beer can (which I barely notice even knowing to look for it) may be the most unanimous fandom opinion in the run of the new show. Never has a dodgy piece of foley generated such outrage. :lol:
I guess I must be a fidgety person, because this 'empty can' noise everyone is screaming blue murder about did not bother me one whit when the part screened, and it still doesn't now. Maybe foley is in general too good, too reliable, so that sometimes reality itself doesn't match up to expectations. I don't think it's a big deal. I'm more interested in the zebra, the rash and so on.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

here's a question for you about timelines.
I have seen some discussion about this.
Ep9 Hastings signed and dated his piece of paper 29th. ( yes i know people have been arguing about this but let's assume it was the 29th and not the 20th as we are told in the same EP in the ' Briggs message' scene that 10/1 is in ' a couple of days'.
We were told in a previous ep - 6? - when Lieutenant Knox discovered the body that time of death was ' about 6 days before' and we are now a day later? Or two days later? Coop escaped at night. end ep 7 and we are now the day after that.

When the body was discovered in ep 1 it had already started to smell and show lividity so one assumes had died a couple of days before.

So it appears that the timeline for the all the events of ep 1 - 6 is 4 or 5 days in total?
or more?
Are we talking a day an episode?

So far there have been 7 different gigs at the roadhouse.
"Part 2": Ruth Radelet, Adam Miller, Johnny Jewel, and Nat Walker as Chromatics
"Part 3": Jack Torrey, Page Burkum, Joel Paterson, Beau Sample, and Alex Hall as The Cactus Blossoms
"Part 4": Heather D'Angelo, Erika Forster, and Annie Hart as Au Revoir Simone
"Part 5": Riley Lynch, Alex Zhang Hungtai, Sam Smith, and Dean Hurley as Trouble
"Part 6": Sharon Van Etten, Carolyn Pennypacker Riggs, John Phillip Irons, and Zeke Hutchins as Sharon Van Etten
"Part 8": Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Mariqueen Maandig, Robin Finck, Alessandro Cortini, and Joey Castillo as "The" Nine Inch Nails
"Part 9": Hudson Mohawke + Heather D'Angelo, Erika Forster, and Annie Hart as Au Revoir Simone

I had previously assumed these acts to be shows on 7 different days ( nights).
So have the events so far in fact taken a week? I have not re-watched it with this in mind, and other people I am sure have re-watched it more than me and maybe also considered the timeline. How many ' nights' have there been so far?

I just throw this out in case anyone has any thoughts on this....in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter much.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »