Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

mlsstwrt wrote:Oh God, I'm sorry. I meant informed.

Jacobi feels totally shoehorned in. It just seems sad though, reflective of the show as a whole. Jacobi, for his weirdness, was always pretty upbeat and cheery. Now he's just some vocal dullard.
Well for the record, just to build some bridges here, I loved the episode overall but I was annoyed by a second Jacoby rant. Not so much because I care about the character Jacoby (remember, we don't know where this is leading in terms of Jacoby's character, so we don't know what it reveals about him, and how he got where he is today, though I suspect losing his medical license made him unhinged mentally), but it felt repetitive and nothing different from what we had seen before from Jacoby in episode 5.

I guess my other criticism of this episode was the excessive cussing and even the ranting-types on YouTube being parodied here don't cuss that much (at least from what I've seen). Maybe that bothered me because I just find cuss words work best when used sparingly and strategically. (The exceptions would be films like Full Metal Jacket and Glengarrry Glen Ross, where cuss words are used to great comic effect.)

Overall though, I did think this was a strong episode, especially since I believe Richard will end up being one of the keys to the plot resolution and we really got his 'lack of character' developed even further.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

mlsstwrt wrote:Oh God, I'm sorry. I meant informed.

Jacobi feels totally shoehorned in. It just seems sad though, reflective of the show as a whole. Jacobi, for his weirdness, was always pretty upbeat and cheery. Now he's just some vocal dullard.
Yeah....'shoehorned in', certainly supported by the fact this Jacoby scene brought absolutely nothing new to the table at all.

It gave the impression that Frost is just hammering home his political argument for those who missed it the first time, and that is it.

The only thing added this time being the inclusion of targeting "big pharma" just to make sure everyone knows who is being parodied here.

Artistically pretty damn weak.

And you are right, I'd say that Jacoby was a pretty fascinating character in the first series. But remember, if you focus on character, you are missing the point of the new, better than ever season of TP! :P
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

anthoto1 wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:People like feeling superior I guess. Don't like this? Should be watching Iron Man 4 instead. Kind of renders all legitimate criticism redundant doesn't it?
Well, thing is Twin Peaks : The Return is vastly superior to most of the current TV production. It is sure very different from S01/S02 and is letting some of the most demanding fans on the side, but it's much, much better than almost everything on TV right now. Better comparing this to what actually exists instead of comparing it to what you'd want it to be.
I don't understand. Why the need to come on a thread for people who feel disappointed by the new season, or some episodes just so you can rub it in our face that we are just whining capricious little kids? There is many topics that glorify the show but now you still feel the need to come here, to do what? Brag about how much we don't get it? About how that show is a masterpiece of television? Then, like I said, there is plenty of dedicated topics to do that?

Why is it so hard to comprehend and just accept that some people can very well dislike or be disappointed? I understand why most of fans love the Return. I don't go in other topics to spread why I feel let down by it. No, I come here so I won't bother those that enjoy it. Can't you do the same? Is that really that hard?

And no, sorry but it's not because it's much better than most of the show right now that it make it better.

You know, I feel the Return was too little too late. It should have been done at least 15 years ago. I remember not so long ago when David Lynch said he was done with Twin Peaks. I'm starting to feel like he should have kept to his resolution.
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

No. You're the one embarrassing everyone in here. That topic is made specifically for people disappointed. We should have the right to whine as loud as we feel the need to. If you enjoy the show I think you shouldn't be there. I guess you love it so much that you take any criticism personally.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Agent327 wrote: Yeah....'shoehorned in', certainly supported by the fact this Jacoby scene brought absolutely nothing new to the table at all.
I just posted in Part 10 thread about one thing, only one, that was new/ different in Jacoby's Rant #2 that I noticed. He uses the word "red balloon."

Since I'd seen red balloons in the plaza where Dougie/Coop fixates on the gunsman statue; or in the "1-1-9!" druggie's room in the background, I had to take note when Jacoby / Dr. Amp spoke it in Part 10, albeit he invoked it as a simile for something.

And while his own message was redundant, there was more response from Nadine who seems thoroughly engrossed in the cussing and profanity-laced diatribes that we (or I) find so off-putting. She's dedicated a space in her display window to one of his shovels, and I'll add that this is not how I expected Nadine's character to evolve. She uses the word "silent" which harkens to her old fixation on making drape runners noiseless. So its added irony I guess? that someone obsessed with getting an object to "shut up", can't get enough of some loony podcaster screaming and fuming.

It's almost like having had a dream about familiar faces -- "Hey I dreamt about Dr Jacoby and about Nadine! But his name changed and was thoroughly hateful. I saw Nadine in my dream a business owner, still has the eye patch and sips chilled coffee-dessert drinks!" The faces ring a bell but their actions and certain settings aren't congruent with how we'd come to apprehend them in the past, just as with certain dreams.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

I'm really getting frustrated with the lack of original cast. I'm one of the people that totally TOTALLY stayed away from any news/spoilers before the premiere so I don't really think I had many expectations and quite frankly, I thought I was pretty open minded about wherever the story would take us, but two things I DID expect was for the show to be set in TP and to see A LOT more of the original cast. It's an odd feeling, because I *have* been enjoying the show up until now but I'm at a point where it almost physically *hurts* that none of my favorite characters have been on screen for more than 5 minutes and we're past the half-way point. I just really wish it could have been a tad more balanced between old and new characters. Someone said to look at this more like a movie rather than a series, and I think it has helped me to an extent, but after last night a feeling of dread came over me. There is so much going on and not enough time left to get a decent amount of screen time with our original characters. At least I don't see how. Maybe last nights episode title threw me off but I was positive we were going to see Sheryl again; instead we only got a flashback scene from FWWM. We still haven't seen Audrey, etc... Every time I think we're going to get a little something, we don't. My hair is turning white a la Leland. :lol:
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

I don't feel the need to come here (as someone pointed to another), but when I saw it reached 100 pages, it just felt funny.

Lynch and people who love it lost the plot?
where's the beautiful little town we all knew and loved?
a fucking beer can?

and this is some place where only RAGE is accepted? we can't come up and ask you about anything?
last time I checked this thread, it was maybe after episode 2.. thought it was a shame some fans didn't approve
then I come back and first thing I read 3 pages back is some king of "waiting to be disappointed after this one"... absurd.

how it comes back to where Twin Peaks should belong to you.. can't wait to enjoy the ride with you lot
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

SpookySculder wrote:I'm really getting frustrated with the lack of original cast. I'm one of the people that totally TOTALLY stayed away from any news/spoilers before the premiere so I don't really think I had many expectations and quite frankly, I thought I was pretty open minded about wherever the story would take us, but two things I DID expect was for the show to be set in TP and to see A LOT more of the original cast. It's an odd feeling, because I *have* been enjoying the show up until now but I'm at a point where it almost physically *hurts* that none of my favorite characters have been on screen for more than 5 minutes and we're past the half-way point. I just really wish it could have been a tad more balanced between old and new characters. Someone said to look at this more like a movie rather than a series, and I think it has helped me to an extent, but after last night a feeling of dread came over me. There is so much going on and not enough time left to get a decent amount of screen time with our original characters. At least I don't see how. Maybe last nights episode title threw me off but I was positive we were going to see Sheryl again; instead we only got a flashback scene from FWWM. We still haven't seen Audrey, etc... Every time I think we're going to get a little something, we don't. My hair is turning white a la Leland. :lol:
I am not a big fan of revivals (did not see the Dallas one, for example), but my impression is that this new Twin Peaks does a pretty darn good job of integrating old and new characters. I can't think of a revival that takes place several years later that does not bring in new characters to actually be at front and center, and generally relegates the older characters to the background.

By contrast, the main character for the original Twin Peaks continues to be the main character for the old Twin Peaks. And many of the supporting characters from the original (Hawk, Andy, Lucy, Gordon, Albert) have gotten a fair amount of screen time in The Return.

The story appears that it will eventually move away from Vegas and SD and will move almost completely to Twin Peaks (at least that's where it looks like it is heading). At some point, I am guessing you'll get more of some of the other characters you love but have been missing.

But ultimately, you have to understand an undertaking like this needs fresh blood, so to speak. In fact, when The Return was originally announced, I thought besides Kyle they would only sign on a handful of the old cast. I was pleasantly surprised at how many they chose to bring back.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

SpookySculder wrote:I'm really getting frustrated with the lack of original cast. I'm one of the people that totally TOTALLY stayed away from any news/spoilers before the premiere so I don't really think I had many expectations and quite frankly, I thought I was pretty open minded about wherever the story would take us, but two things I DID expect was for the show to be set in TP and to see A LOT more of the original cast. It's an odd feeling, because I *have* been enjoying the show up until now but I'm at a point where it almost physically *hurts* that none of my favorite characters have been on screen for more than 5 minutes and we're past the half-way point. I just really wish it could have been a tad more balanced between old and new characters. Someone said to look at this more like a movie rather than a series, and I think it has helped me to an extent, but after last night a feeling of dread came over me. There is so much going on and not enough time left to get a decent amount of screen time with our original characters. At least I don't see how. Maybe last nights episode title threw me off but I was positive we were going to see Sheryl again; instead we only got a flashback scene from FWWM. We still haven't seen Audrey, etc... Every time I think we're going to get a little something, we don't. My hair is turning white a la Leland. :lol:
we havent seen Big Ed yet either
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:I'm so confused about how I feel about this show. This episode threw me again. Can't tell if I love it or hate it.

Episodes 7 and 9 restored my confidence in Lynch as a director. because it seemed like everything was deliberately planned, even the sweeping scene. But I really thought by episode ten that we wouldn't have these pointless disconnected roadhouse scenes anymore. So much of this just Lila and drags. I'm getting really sick of feeling bored. It feels so poorly constructed. Inland Empire was always disconcerting to me and sometimes I really wonder wether Lynch has the skills as a storyteller.

Anyway, at the same time, I liked a lot in this episode. I love Belushi and the Las Vegas people, though I can understand the criticism of people who are sick of Las Vegas in their Twin Peaks. I don't know.

What the hell is going on with this show?

Is David Lynch actially mentally ill and having a public nervous breakdown, like those scenes where the clown goes homicidal and crazy and everyone just laughs?
I kind of wonder this too. The scene where the little boy is run over was really graphic and long. It felt downright sadistic. Why subject your audience to seeing a child killed in such a way? Its strange
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by nick1218 »

mtsi wrote:
dugpa wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Yeah the beer can was unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't even notice it. Would love a screenshot.
It's the sound. You can hear her slam the can down over and over and it's clearly empty.....and the terribly faked drinking....at least try, ya know? Just like the whole stupid stacked coffee cups. Augh.

I'm glad I like the rest of the show. ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
the scene where the assistant in the insurance agency is carrying 8 cups of large coffee was poorly done. If those were filled with coffee there would be no way he could make those sudden movements and tilt left and right. It would be a mess. Its scenes like this and the Bobby crying scene and others that makes me think DL did a lot of one takes where there should have been more care - i.e. it feels rushed
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

mtl wrote:I don't feel the need to come here (as someone pointed to another), but when I saw it reached 100 pages, it just felt funny.

Lynch and people who love it lost the plot?
where's the beautiful little town we all knew and loved?
a fucking beer can?

and this is some place where only RAGE is accepted? we can't come up and ask you about anything?
last time I checked this thread, it was maybe after episode 2.. thought it was a shame some fans didn't approve
then I come back and first thing I read 3 pages back is some king of "waiting to be disappointed after this one"... absurd.

how it comes back to where Twin Peaks should belong to you.. can't wait to enjoy the ride with you lot
I've said this before but believe me, this thread is not 100 pages of people talking about how much they don't like the show.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

That's my biggest disappointment with the new series - how little the original cast is being used. They are very sidelined, confined in most cases to just one set. Lynch has done this before in FWWM. I think it's a missed opportunity when he managed to get them all back after 25 years to not use them more and give them more to do/more characterisation.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

nick1218 wrote:I kind of wonder this too. The scene where the little boy is run over was really graphic and long. It felt downright sadistic. Why subject your audience to seeing a child killed in such a way? Its strange
I found that scene affecting and powerful, and certainly not indicative of any kind of mental breakdown. Part 6 remains my second favorite hour between that and the beauty of the lingering Dougie-Cooper-drawing scene.

That said, I do question the use of such non-naturalistic responses from the bystanders, but that's been a Lynch indulgence for decades, and I trust him enough as an artist in most ways to revisit that once the series has wrapped.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

David Locke wrote:I expect a lot of people to be disappointed. This episode did not live up to its title. I'm still digesting everything but it struck me as kind of a sequel to Part 6, except even crueler. I'm not sure but it may be my least favorite part thus far, even though it was masterfully directed (as usual).

Naomi Watts is always wonderful, but extending DougieCoop another hour just to give us a cheap sex joke? Granted, one I very much anticipated, but didn't want - and which leaves a bad aftertaste, considering he's got the mental capacity of an autistic child. Can you imagine the reaction if the genders were reversed? Either way, it's both too cliche'd to be funny and simply in poor taste. I'd rather at least have the Dougie plots of Episode 5 or 6, because there was more of interest there. Even just Part 9's brief flag/shoes/socket vision was more poignant and effective than a lot of this episode.

Yep I was almost like 'I can't look at that' when they were at it on the bed. When she was eyeing him up I was like, 'Nooooo that's wrong! Please don't go there!'. I must admit I felt rather wrong too for thinking Kyle is looking good with his shirt off these days, due to the depth of character he is playing. Interesting he had managed to get a tan whilst in the Lodge.

Even sex didn't bring Good Coop back to life properly. Though we know he must get sorted out, as such, as one of the trailers released prior to screening had him driving a car so he must gain enough faculties back in order to be able to do this. Someone on this thread said that Coop was their most favourite character of all time, ever. Mine too. How gutting to see this 'shadow self' and not see the real character of him during these past 10 episodes when he could have shone through sooner rather than later. Still, saved having to think and write lines for him and all that extra work huh?
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...