Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

waferwhitemilk wrote:Another example of a trolly joke is basically copying the ending of 'Se7en' but replacing the content of the cardboard box (a severed head) with a cherry pie.. or letting Dougie run wild with a throwaway Cartman joke in one of the Southpark episodes where he teaches Jimmy how to talk to girls ("just keep repeating the last three words they say").
It was definitely not a play on Se7en. They had to make sure that we couldn't guess the contents and its importance until it was actually opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

mtwentz wrote:First of all, it would seem more significant if Michael Ontkean had signed on, but since he didn't, there's nothing Lynch and Frost can do about it. Ontkean's screen time is thus used up by newcomer Robert Forster.
Agreed with this.
mtwentz wrote:Everett, Richard and Wendy have been out of movies and television acting for a number of years. The fact that we are seeing them at all is a great blessing.
Not sure what this has to do with anything. I still think they could have been used more.

And Peggy Lipton could have been given a bit more to do than sitting in a booth paying bills. Ditto Jacoby. But that's just my opinion. I still think the original cast is being under utilised - and Lynch has done this before. In FWWM. It made more sense then because that was so focused on Laura (and it looked like there would be more movies), but here I would've liked to have seen the original cast being used a bit more. This is 25 years later after all and Lynch may not get this chance again. I've mostly gotten over it by now though.
mtwentz wrote:James is the actor everyone claims they don't want to see anyway, but now that he's been absent, suddenly he's the most wanted man in Twin Peaks :-).
This is a good point. I'd like to see more of him though.
mtwentz wrote:And Sherilyn, from what we've heard, had her role reduced because she took a hard negotiating stance for her contract and missed several days of filming.
This is true - but I wonder how much we would have seen from her had she not taken this stance. Possibly a little bit more on location, such as in the scene with Johnny and Syliva? Is it possible she would have been in the hum scenes with Ben instead of Beverly? Maybe there's even a couple of scenes they couldn't shoot because of this, but I doubt many. One of her objections to begin with was about how small her role was. It's really difficult to guage this until we know where she is and what she's doing now, but I don't think we'd have seen much more of her. I'm hoping her delayed entry is going to be used in the narrative's favour - i.e. perhaps as a major catalyst for Dougie waking up or something like this.
mtwentz wrote: All in all, I think we're doing pretty darn good with the old cast. I believe Laura and Sarah are going to move to center stage at some point and James Marshall has stated his character plays a key role. Similar 're-boots' might have relegated someone like Kyle MacLachlan to a supporting role, in favor of a 'fresher' face.
I think we're doing good in the number of the cast Lynch managed to get back - and the way he's utilizing those who have passed on (such as the Log Lady) but I still think the old cast is being criminally underused. I just think it's a shame to get them back and not to use them more. Peggy Lipton is a good example. But we'll see what we get in the remaining episodes. I do think we'll see more of Laura and Sarah and hopefully James will somehow be key. I hope we get more Norma, a lot of Big Ed and Audrey. And good point about McLachlan. I'm glad he's being used so much. Too bad Ontkean didn't come back. Maybe we'll get a Skype cameo from him. And I'm holding out hope for Josie and Catherine, even though it's unlikely.
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

mtwentz wrote:I have never heard of filmmakers putting their heart and soul and money into a project just so they could play "trolly jokes" on fans.
I see how with it having been common knowledge there were as many as 200 ppl hired to be cast in the S3, it would be realistic to prepare for limited or compromised screen time per familiar-character.

The filming took however-many years, followed by editing for a length of time: two or three years? My point: much of the story Lynch & Co. kept well secret, even with Frost releasing a book in itself called "The Secret History of...", then that book's content in & of itself having almost NOTHING to do with the season as we're watching it?
So while "trolling" might apply to Frost's role in one sense, and a loaded expression w/r/t Lynch when we find ourselves confused - - think how after all, the reputation Lynch earned for "getting inside your head & messing around with it" didn't come about all on its own, did it? I think an argument could be made he invented trolling-the-audience, albeit he accomplishes it in his own special way :wink:
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

And of all the "trolly jokes" (wtf), Lynch and Frost would choose from the vast pantheon of movies... Se7en?

:lol: Get real!
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

What about The Exorcist?

An hysterically screaming granny with zombie/possessed grandchild drooling green slime...

Personally I prefer The Blacklodge making former hero (now autistic parrot) order pastries to please mob bosses before having a drink with them.

Shut up, it's art.

or...

a total disaster.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Aqwell wrote:.
Shut up, it's art.

or...

a total disaster.
What's the difference? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

There were some 'Rainman' references, a lot of Dougie's stuff reminded me of 'Weekend at Bernie's' & especially 'Weekend at Bernie's II', Twin Peaks has always been kind of "Nightmare on Elmstreet" meets "The Exorcist II" meets "Heathers" meets "The Watcher in the Woods", so why not "Se7en"? Good movie at the time imo, I remember seeing it in theater.
Guardian

Post by Guardian »

I'm sort of getting used to the cheap CGI (or David Lynch CGI) at this point.
I'm just laghing at it. Like the black hole, and David Lynch supposedly almost being pulled into it.
It looks so cheap that I laugh.
Likewise with the exploded head of Matthew Lillard in the police car.
And then David Lynch looks through the window and comments quickly "He's dead.".
waferwhitemilk wrote: - The scene with Bobby, Shelly and their daughter in the RR diner was some horrible wooden acting and looked very cheap n digital
Yes, I agree it's a bit woddenly acted, but the digital un-filmic picture really aren't doing any of the actors any favors eighter. And it doesn't get any better when Bobby gets outside. Are Lynch/Frost trying to make a statement about gun regulations, or is it just a joke?
And then we have the honking and screaming lady in the other car, with the kid that suddenly raises his arms with the eyes rolled back and green fluid coming out of the mouth.
All looking and feeling like a cliched and amateurish horror movie to me.
Is this the intetion? Who knows, but I felt very detached from all of this, but laughed at least.

I get the feeling this whole show is just a joke.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

If anything I think Gordon Cole is getting too much air time. What I liked about Cole originally was that you were left wanting more as it was a joy to watch him then suddenly he was gone again. A bit like Lord Flashheart in Blackadder. I don't think Lynch's acting is as good this time round.

Credits said Alicia Witt was in it....where? I missed seeing her!

I quite liked the Bobby/Shelley/Becky diner scene. Please though, no more emoting from Norma. Throw her a line to say for gods sake! What on earth was with the exorcist girl in the car?!? Umm...call an ambulance.... or a priest....or both? Plus am feeling as catatonic as Dougie is when I watch him. Enough already. It's as boring as hell. I'm also over the two Las Vegas gangstas. Shame we'll likely not see more of Mr Lillard, though you never know I guess.

I actually don't think DL/MF are trolling the audience at all. I think this is it folks. I think it is just what they produced. I think it's very lecturing about the state of the world now and it's inhabitants, and a bit patronising in places but I don't feel it is trolling. I think it is what it is.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

Venus wrote:I think it's very lecturing about the state of the world now and it's inhabitants, and a bit patronising in places
I also agree with this! The thing about Shelly never learning and her daughter making all the same mistakes was already laid on pretty thick, but then it's followed by a -in the larger "story" totally pointless and random- shooting by the camouflage kid and then we zoom very demonstratively in on what we can only assume is his dad in the same camouflage kit. An then it's back to -imo- trolling again with the other kid throwing up!
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

waferwhitemilk wrote:...The thing about Shelly never learning and her daughter making all the same mistakes was already laid on pretty thick, but then it's followed by a -in the larger "story" totally pointless and random- shooting by the camouflage kid and then we zoom very demonstratively in on what we can only assume is his dad in the same camouflage kit. An then it's back to -imo- trolling again with the other kid throwing up!
I was getting rather overwhelmed with all the sudden developments rammed together, all in a matter of minutes. "Just when (A), then (B)happened!"
i.e.
Just when [A] we learn Shelly & Bobby did in fact produce Becky,
(B) Red sweeps Shelly away for a kiss and a promise!
Just after Red rudely interrupts the Briggs' family time,
(C) a hail of bullets at the RR Diner!
Just when the shooting at the RR Diner prompts Bobby to go outside and investigate,
(D) brand new characters in camouflage are introduced with their haranguing wife/mom!
Just when we get new characters on top of all the other new characters this season,
(E) we meet this OTHER new lady honking a car horn complaining of being held up in traffic, who then non-sequiturs to indicate the passenger-child dribbling pea juice!

etc.

Edited because you can't type certain parentheses without it turning into code ; \
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

Venus wrote:Credits said Alicia Witt was in it....where? I missed seeing her!

She was the woman in the stairwell escaping Becky's rage (with Steven). I didn't get it either till this morning.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Jonah wrote: And Peggy Lipton could have been given a bit more to do than sitting in a booth paying bills. Ditto Jacoby. But that's just my opinion. I still think the original cast is being under utilised - and Lynch has done this before. In FWWM. It made more sense then because that was so focused on Laura (and it looked like there would be more movies), but here I would've liked to have seen the original cast being used a bit more.
Did you really think Norma would have a big role this time around? She was probably the most under-utilized and backburnered character in the original show, I figured we'd get more of the same. Shame, because her scene with Ed in the truck in the Missing Pieces was beautiful, and really underscored how great these two characters can be when used to their potential.

As far as the original characters are concerned, we are kind of getting what I suspected we would get - not a lot. I just didn't think we'd be this far along with no appearance from Ed and Audrey.

I did enjoy the Bobby/Shelly scenes a lot last night. They actually got some good stuff to do!
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

BTW....I want to say that although I'm posting in this thread, I'm far from "profoundly disappointed". I'm really enjoying the show. I look forward to it more each Sunday more than GOT, which is usually my favorite show.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

No, I didn't think she'd get that much to do - but I think it wouldn't have been too hard to give her a little more than what we've got. I hope we get a scene with her and Ed as good as that scene from the Missing Pieces. Who knows, maybe she'll turn out to be the key to the whole thing, the one who brews a cup of coffee so powerful and a cherry pie so good that the duo finally snaps Dougie back to Cooper and then she'll go into the black lodge with him and fight Windom Earle in a dual. Maybe that's what she's doing in the booth - biding her time, calculating all the ways she will turn out to be the most powerful, unseen, unexpected force in the whole series.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.