Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by The Gazebo »

Just rewatched a bit of the old show, and suffered a sudden tinge of pessimism about the run-in of season 3. I'm enjoying The Return for the time being, but my glass is perennially half-empty, so I thought I'd share:

In the original show, we had two main antagonists, depending on your definition: Bob and Windom Earle (plus a fine selection of local criminals and shady dudes). Both felt like real threats to the lives of our favourite characters. This season, we have the local crooks, but who are the main antagonists?

EvilCoop? Too manufactured.
Jeffries (possibly)? Too peripheral.
The woodsmen? Yeah, spooky - but so far more like creepy bed bugs.
Mother/experiment? Give me a break.

What I'm getting at, is that there has to be a human element in these adversaries for me to care about the outcome. For example, if Cooper can dispose of EvilCoop through relatively conventional methods, I won't complain. Likewise, if Diane has joined the dark side, it creates that human element. But if victory requires that Cooper has to clap three times in an eastward direction while being spanked by sycamore trees (or something "easy" like the way the original murder mystery was resolved), I'm a bit skeptic. A CGI-created battle between Cooper and Mother will stray too far into the Buffyverse for my liking, and it won't matter one bit if Hawk comes to the rescue with some hidden spell.

The rational part of me says "chill out, it's going to be brilliant". The pessimistic side fears that Frost/Lynch will be going into the most hidden bowels of the show's newly expanded mythology, using humans merely as pawns, and creating a finale where I end up being indifferent as to whether Copper saves the day or not.
Rialto
RR Diner Member

Post by Rialto »

Well, I liked this episode better than any previous ones. It wasn't a series of disjointed scenes about not much and god knows who. Neither was it the exposition fest of the last two episodes. But it still wasn't great.

I think what I'm disliking most about TR is its unremittingly bleak view of humanity. Everyone is stupid, or venal, or disgusting, or weak, or cruel, or actually a character from a comic spoof of The Exorcist.

I'm starting to suspect that Lynch has fallen into the same chasm that almost every wealthy, sheltered person over the age of 70 does - not leaving the house enough, not mixing with real people enough, and forming a view of the outside world based on middle class media hysteria - 'everything's terrible, the world is full of violence and evil, everyone's on drugs!'

He's reminding me of my neighbours in England who read the Daily Mail too much, and behaved as though they were living in a crack ghetto, surrounded by danger, rather than the actual pampered Cotswold village that was their reality.

And why does everyone in Twin Peaks (except Sylvia Horne) now live in a trailer?

Bits I liked from the last two episodes? Nadine finally achieved her dream of silent drape runners - I think it was just a relief to see someone get what they hoped for.

Bobby/Dana Ashbrook's acting is amazing - I can actually see the progression of that character in the little time he gets, and his reaction to the spew kid was spot on. Just WTF.

And Tammy's face when Gordon sticks his head in the back of the car and says 'he's dead!' - just rolls her eyes, like 'oh, Gordon' *sigh*
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Rialto wrote:Well, I liked this episode better than any previous ones. It wasn't a series of disjointed scenes about not much and god knows who. Neither was it the exposition fest of the last two episodes. But it still wasn't great.

I'm starting to suspect that Lynch has fallen into the same chasm that almost every wealthy, sheltered person over the age of 70 does - not leaving the house enough, not mixing with real people enough, and forming a view of the outside world based on middle class media hysteria - 'everything's terrible, the world is full of violence and evil, everyone's on drugs!'

He's reminding me of my neighbours in England who read the Daily Mail too much, and behaved as though they were living in a crack ghetto, surrounded by danger, rather than the actual pampered Cotswold village that was their reality.
Well, I don't know if you've noticed, but we have an epidemic in the U.S. of opiate use. Furthermore, it has been revealed for the first time since they've been taking these stats, that the expected life of middle aged whites is on the decline. Part of this decline in life expectancy is tied to to the rise in drug use among the white population. A lot of commentators have noted that the decline and stagnation in wages of the working class have led more and more whites (the type of people depicted in Twin Peaks) to turn to drugs for solace.

So I don't think you have to look very far to see there is a lot of darkness and despair in many rural communities in the United States, not unlike the fictional community of Twin Peaks (and those in trailer parks represent the communities hardest hit).

But beyond that, there is always darkness and light in the world. A story like Twin Peaks- or any Lynch film for that matter- fits well into just about any era. In the 1950s, when the economy was booming and everything was supposedly hunky dory with most people, there were still quite a few problems, and quite a lot of darkness.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

Just registered and was delighted to see this thread. I, too, am one of the disappointed masses.

IMHO, the characters have become two dimensional and there's been no emotional maturation of the characters. Andy Brennan is a good example of the SOS.

Except for that ridiculous tree, the surprises have been very interesting. I'm confident Lynch will eventually cinch everything up in a neat little bag. Until then the story is floundering and a bit low-calorie.

I found the three bearded bums intriguing. Anyone who's seen "White Noise" will remember in that film there were also three dark and mysterious entities. Just another esoteric reference I've been kicking around the block.

The Big Picture is screaming for recognition, but there are too many pieces in this puzzle.

Here's hoping Major Briggs shows up. I liked him

Rex :)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:A lot of commentators have noted that the decline and stagnation in wages of the working class have led more and more whites (the type of people depicted in Twin Peaks) to turn to drugs for solace.
....especially when the town's central industry, the lifeblood of the community, shuts down.

I'm really wondering if we'll see/hear anything about the Mill beyond the haunting shot in the main title of Part 1, which pretty heavily implies that it (like the real life location) is now closed down. (Ok, we also saw it across from the sheriff's station when Bobby is solving his dad's puzzle, but I'm not 100% sure if that was meant to be the Packard Mill in the show's world? If so, the geography is inconsistent with prior continuity.)
Rialto
RR Diner Member

Post by Rialto »

mtwentz, I don't doubt that. There certainly is plenty of darkness and despair in the world - it's just the unremitting horribleness of almost everyone and everything that is hard to stomach, with little reflection on the other side of things.

I've spent the last decade or so working with manufacturing companies in the U.K., I see businesses failing, supply chains devastated by one key player collapsing or pulling out. Plenty of people I was at school with are now dead or in jail. Im not oblivious to darkness and hardship.

But it does feel like Lynch's view of the world, and the people in it, has become over-the-top jaded.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
mtwentz wrote:A lot of commentators have noted that the decline and stagnation in wages of the working class have led more and more whites (the type of people depicted in Twin Peaks) to turn to drugs for solace.
....especially when the town's central industry, the lifeblood of the community, shuts down.

I'm really wondering if we'll see/hear anything about the Mill beyond the haunting shot in the main title of Part 1, which pretty heavily implies that it (like the real life location) is now closed down. (Ok, we also saw it across from the sheriff's station when Bobby is solving his dad's puzzle, but I'm not 100% sure if that was meant to be the Packard Mill in the show's world? If so, the geography is inconsistent with prior continuity.)
Heh. Yeah, and Catherine in TSHOTP sells the mill to Ben a few weeks after the fire (a footnote Tammy doesn't initial,) where she doesn't in the show, and the bill of sale is dated incorrectly in the book based on the date of the fire in the show. Maybe the book really does have nothing to do with Return :( Mill talk would shed light on this 'inconsistency' or evidence of multiverse
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Rialto wrote:mtwentz, I don't doubt that. There certainly is plenty of darkness and despair in the world - it's just the unremitting horribleness of almost everyone and everything that is hard to stomach, with little reflection on the other side of things.

I've spent the last decade or so working with manufacturing companies in the U.K., I see businesses failing, supply chains devastated by one key player collapsing or pulling out. Plenty of people I was at school with are now dead or in jail. Im not oblivious to darkness and hardship.

But it does feel like Lynch's view of the world, and the people in it, has become over-the-top jaded.
Lynch's pessimism is mostly located in TP.

Las Vegas (aka Sin City) seems a pretty decent city, with regular issues that you would expect in any American city, but also a city where two orphan brothers can become rich and convert, where a woman can get her life back, where bookies get a lecture by a pissed off wife, where a boss of a multimillion dollar company believes in the good future of a mentally disabled man (who's helped virtually by everyone) etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

First of all, it would seem more significant if Michael Ontkean had signed on, but since he didn't, there's nothing Lynch and Frost can do about it. Ontkean's screen time is thus used up by newcomer Robert Forster.
I like how they handled Ontkean not being here. That's fine. I'm talking about actors who ARE here and not being used. I also don't want to get into which actors/characters are more significant than others. That's not my beef.

Ray and Sheryl's characters are dead- you would not expect them to have significant screen time.
Yes they're dead, but this is Lynch we're talking about. Even dead characters could have a lot more screen time than what we've gotten so far with Ray and Sheryl. Laura had a lot more screen time back then than now and she was already dead in Ep 1.... Also, remember rumor had it that Lynch discussed with Sheryl bringing her back as a third character had the show gotten picked up for an additional season back then. There was even some excitement/speculation among the base as who/what Sheryl would come back as. I kinda liked the idea that she would play BOB. IDK, but these characters being "dead" isn't enough reason for these actors having such little screen time. There are ways around that with Lynch, as we know. Nonetheless, I don't think anyone expected to just see 2 minutes of Sheryl Lee in an 11 hour span. Same goes for many of the other returning actors.

Everett, Richard and Wendy have been out of movies and television acting for a number of years. The fact that we are seeing them at all is a great blessing.
Not sure your thought process here unless you're implying they're rusty? Could be. IDK.
James is the actor everyone claims they don't want to see anyway, but now that he's been absent, suddenly he's the most wanted man in Twin Peaks :-).
I always liked James up until the whole Evelyn thing but I digress. Again, I'm referring to returning actors as a whole getting little screen time, not whether I
like or dislike their characters.

And Sherilyn, from what we've heard, had her role reduced because she took a hard negotiating stance for her contract and missed several days of filming.
This is I know and I understand.

All in all, I think we're doing pretty darn good with the old cast
Guessing we're going to have to disagree.
I believe Laura and Sarah are going to move to center stage at some point and James Marshall has stated his character plays a key role
I hope so. I believe it was Jonah who responded by saying something to the effect that Lynch did a great job in getting so many of these actors back. I agree and I am happy about that. These actors came back because they love Lynch. They love working with him. These characters have a great history. I just wish things had played out a bit differently. It seems a tragic waste because there is so much potential to expand on these characters instead of having TOO many new faces with no real background or depth, etc...
Last edited by SpookySculder on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Rex wrote: IMHO, the characters have become two dimensional and there's been no emotional maturation of the characters. Andy Brennan is a good example of the SOS.
You haven't being paying attention. Agent Brennan now takes care of deadly overdoses in schools and talks to homicide suspects, trying to make deals. He's the guy that used to cry at the idea of a body, and he's could barely walk without causing goofy mayhem.

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mtwentz wrote:
Rialto wrote:Well, I liked this episode better than any previous ones. It wasn't a series of disjointed scenes about not much and god knows who. Neither was it the exposition fest of the last two episodes. But it still wasn't great.

Well, I don't know if you've noticed, but we have an epidemic in the U.S. of opiate use. Furthermore, it has been revealed for the first time since they've been taking these stats, that the expected life of middle aged whites is on the decline. Part of this decline in life expectancy is tied to to the rise in drug use among the white population. A lot of commentators have noted that the decline and stagnation in wages of the working class have led more and more whites (the type of people depicted in Twin Peaks) to turn to drugs for solace.

So I don't think you have to look very far to see there is a lot of darkness and despair in many rural communities in the United States, not unlike the fictional community of Twin Peaks (and those in trailer parks represent the communities hardest hit).

But beyond that, there is always darkness and light in the world. A story like Twin Peaks- or any Lynch film for that matter- fits well into just about any era. In the 1950s, when the economy was booming and everything was supposedly hunky dory with most people, there were still quite a few problems, and quite a lot of darkness.
What is happening in the US is very sad. I read articles and stats on the subject virtually every day and the situation is out of control. Nationally, violent crime is substantially higher, and many domestic violence events are not reported to the police (about 45%), with many victims protecting their violent partner. Even road rage is up in many areas.
It's bad.

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Well, I'll also agree with Rialto a little. Violent crime has ticked up in the U.S. a little over the last few years, but historically we still live in one of the safest eras in human history. But that being said, there are a lot of things in our world that just don't feel 'right', like the fact that for a young male like Steven, the job opportunities seem few and far between, so it's better just to drown sorrows in drug use.

Overall, this show has not felt unrelentingly bleak to me. There have been bleak moments to be sure, but plenty of lighter moments too, and plenty of humor. The last couple of episodes felt bleaker than most, I suppose, but they were capped off by that beautiful warm scene between Coop and the Slots addict woman.

BTW, not stated but implied: the woman overcame her gambling addiction. That's a very bright ending to two episodes that featured Richard and Steven reaching the depths of depravity.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

SpookySculder wrote:I hope so. I believe it was Jonah who responded by saying something to the effect that Lynch did a great job in getting so many of these actors back. I agree and I am happy about that. These actors came back because they love Lynch. They love working with him. These characters have a great history. I just wish things had played out a bit differently. It seems a tragic waste because there is so much potential to expand on these characters instead of having TOO many new faces with no real background or depth, etc...
There is a certain sense of irony when one recalls Kyle MacLachlan's own words in the documentary Secrets from Another Place about events in season 2:

"I remember watching the shows [...] after about, you know, three minutes of guest stars cast list I would be really, you know, frustrated. [...] We had such a phenomenal core of cast, of people. Why don't we just 'stay in town', if you know what i mean?"

Obviously, after 25 years a good bunch of fresh faces was needed, and I have no real need to find out what Mike Nelson or Heidi is up to. "I just wish things had played out a bit differently" pretty much sums up my own sentiments. Probably more so when it comes to locations, rather than the characters themselves.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mtwentz wrote:
BTW, not stated but implied: the woman overcame her gambling addiction. That's a very bright ending to two episodes that featured Richard and Steven reaching the depths of depravity.
That scene was heartwarming. I watched it again yesterday night, and it was simply great. Even the two gangsters were emotionally involved.

Redlodge
Roadhouse Member

Post by Redlodge »

I'm beginning to fear that Coop won't show up until the end of at all. I'm so aggravated when watching thinking Cooper will wake up any minute and he never does. This Dougie Jones thing has gone on way too long and it is wearing on me. I guess Lynch filmed so much material he had to use this Dougie storyline to fill time.
I hope next weeks episode 'Lets Rock' finally gives us Copper back. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
It seems cruel to people who have waited 25 years to see Agent Cooper leave the Black Lodge and go after evil Cooper to have to see Dougie Jones every week.
I guess it's true Lynch doesn't care about what the fans think . I've tried to be optimistic but here we are 7 episodes from the end and I have gotten to where I almost dread watching on Sunday nights. Here's to hoping Dougie will be gone soon and Cooper will be back. (But I'm not getting my hopes up)
When Jupiter and Saturn meet , oh what a crop of mummy wheat.