Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

Just an aside, but I thought there were moments in episode 12 where Lynch looked like the age he actually is/was. No-one seems to have acknowledged the oddity of an FBI agent - especially one still doing field work - at this time of life (even if Gordon is meant to be a, little younger).
Northman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Northman »

some thoughts after 12 episodes:

- the Show feels much more focused than the original run especially season 2. It is only the Lynch/Hunter directed episodes of the original run, along with the movie, that has the same feel as season 3.
- episode 8 is the best TP episode ever for me. What a powerful way to show the death of innocence and the american dream, not to mention the epic scale of lodge evil.
- the music keeps being brilliant. Favourites so far are NIN (WOW!), the cactus blossoms and Sharon van etten.
- Chrysta Belle is not an awesome Tammy Preston
- I could watch the Gordon and Albert show for hours
- apart from MacLachlan i think Lillard, Zabriskie, Ferrer, Ashbrook, Amick, Seyfrid, Lynch, Horse, Forster all do amazing acting in S3
- I love the whole Blue Rose aspect of TP and season 3 has been a goldmine so far
- We've seen some of the funniest TP scenes ever: candie swats fly, turnip/turn up, dirty bearded men!, cosacs!, DougieCoop gets laid, kellogs raisin brain
- We've seen some of the scariest TP scenes ever: this is the water (most scary ever), Sarah Palmer episode 12, Mr. C in general, evil shape emerges in glasbox
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Northman wrote:some thoughts after 12 episodes:

- the Show feels much more focused than the original run especially season 2. It is only the Lynch/Hunter directed episodes of the original run, along with the movie, that has the same feel as season 3.
- episode 8 is the best TP episode ever for me. What a powerful way to show the death of innocence and the american dream, not to mention the epic scale of lodge evil.
- the music keeps being brilliant. Favourites so far are NIN (WOW!), the cactus blossoms and Sharon van etten.
- Chrysta Belle is not an awesome Tammy Preston
- I could watch the Gordon and Albert show for hours
- apart from MacLachlan i think Lillard, Zabriskie, Ferrer, Ashbrook, Amick, Seyfrid, Lynch, Horse, Forster all do amazing acting in S3
- I love the whole Blue Rose aspect of TP and season 3 has been a goldmine so far
- We've seen some of the funniest TP scenes ever: candie swats fly, turnip/turn up, dirty bearded men!, cosacs!, DougieCoop gets laid, kellogs raisin brain
- We've seen some of the scariest TP scenes ever: this is the water (most scary ever), Sarah Palmer episode 12, Mr. C in general, evil shape emerges in glasbox
Hey bud. Wrong thread. Think you're looking for 'The TP Return Appreciation Thread'. Strong reading comprehension skills by the way.
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

Well, it's been a slow day at work and i managed to come up with two more things to validate my theory, as described in my previous two posts, that "The Return" is basically a meta-narrative showing us the stress, fear, depression and disgust Dougie/Lynch faced in having to revisit a 25 year old tv show at the ripe old age of 71 to make moneys, help some friends out and to satisfy the cravings of the hardcore TP fans, both new and old:

1. The glass box, as has been noted by many others before, could very well be seen as a tv screen, with the young couple representing the netflix and chill generation, waiting to be entertained.

2. The way Dougie enters in our world, viz. via an electrical socket, which could also represent cable internet, the mode by which his endproduct is distributed to its audience this time around.
Redlodge
Roadhouse Member

Post by Redlodge »

Can I just say that the more I think about this series the more irritated I get. I don't understand why we needed Dougie Jones at all. I wonder if the execs at Showtime were allowed to see the series before it was released ? If they were I bet they looked at each other and started crying because of all the cash that they spent. This is the problem when one person has control. Lynch only directed 2 episodes of season 1 and wa barely present until the end of Season 2 so why did he need compete control ?
Honestly feel like it would have been a much better if a few people had been involved in the creative process and had input. I read different boards and the majority of people are fed up with the slow pace, Dougie Jones and the lack of a soundtrack. This new series could have been a huge success and taken the medium to the next level but instead we have gotten a sad whimper of what it could have been. I don't think it's fair to fans who have been waiting all these years to pull the rug out like this.
I wish that the good Dale had jumped through the red curtains before the Blob Headed Tree Doppledganer stopped him. Then he would be back in the world and evil Cooper would be back in the lodge. The story could have been a suspenseful ride and focused on how to make sure the lodge and it inhabitants were prevented from ever coming into our world again. Bob/Evil Cooper could have tried to get the good Dale back in the lodge and made it a classic battle of good vs evil. I'm not saying I know what's best for everyone but anything would have been better than this whole Dougie, Vegas, Mafia Cooper crap.
Dopplecooper has powers from another realm and he's little more than a crime boss in the series. His storyline is boring and what about that hair ?
I know now why Lynch wouldn't let anyone read the whole script and only their parts, they probably wouldn't have wanted to do it ! I don't know why things had to be this way but it is what it is I guess. What a collosal waste of time. It's very mean spirited to make people believe Cooper is about to wake up only to be let down again and again. Maybe the last 6 episodes will redeem this thing but I doubt it. I'm not sticking around to find out because this has become such a negative experience for me. There is enough negative in life to waste time watching it unfold on television. David Lynch recently said he wasn't making anymore films and I agree with his decision. Unlike FWWM that was criticized when released and did redeem itself later on, the return is going to have to blow it out of the water these last 6 episodes to redeem itself. Reboots rarely work and this is another example of just that.
Too many characters nobody cares about or wants and too little resolution of the original storyline. Sometimes I wish the A-Bomb in episode 8 was dropped on the whole series.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet , oh what a crop of mummy wheat.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

People have scoffed at it but I kind of like Wafer's theory. If it's true then I recognise The Return as a work of genius.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

waferwhitemilk wrote:Well, it's been a slow day at work and i managed to come up with two more things to validate my theory, as described in my previous two posts, that "The Return" is basically a meta-narrative showing us the stress, fear, depression and disgust Dougie/Lynch faced in having to revisit a 25 year old tv show at the ripe old age of 71 to make moneys, help some friends out and to satisfy the cravings of the hardcore TP fans, both new and old:
Mark said they worked together on the script for over a year before they even told a soul about it because they wanted to make sure they felt good about the story. That strikes me as the behavior of a man who WANTS to return to the world of TP, not someone with a gun to his head doing it because he feels obligated. And by all accounts, actors old and new to the world of TP said DKL displayed enormous energy and joy throughout the production.

I think if you're looking to understand what they were going for with Dougie, it's important to remember that DKL's daughter was 2-3 years old during filming, and Mark's dad was suffering from Alzheimer's. The formation and loss of personal identity, and the question of what identity even is, was clearly prominent on their minds. Of course, YMMV on how well they dealt with those themes.
Redlodge
Roadhouse Member

Post by Redlodge »

What happened to the whole mysterious ringing sound at
The Great Northern ?
Where are the 'So Many' surprises Robert Knepper talked about in the trailer ?
If the tree doppelgänger said non existent to the good Dale why is he existing as/in place of Dougie Jones ?
When Jupiter and Saturn meet , oh what a crop of mummy wheat.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Redlodge wrote: I wish that the good Dale had jumped through the red curtains before the Blob Headed Tree Doppledganer stopped him. Then he would be back in the world and evil Cooper would be back in the lodge. The story could have been a suspenseful ride and focused on how to make sure the lodge and it inhabitants were prevented from ever coming into our world again. Bob/Evil Cooper could have tried to get the good Dale back in the lodge and made it a classic battle of good vs evil. I'm not saying I know what's best for everyone but anything would have been better than this whole Dougie, Vegas, Mafia Cooper crap.
Sorry you don't like it, but that's how the creative process works: The story is going where the muse led the writers (Lynch/Frost) to take it.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

mtwentz wrote:
Sorry you don't like it, but that's how the creative process works: The story is going where the muse led the writers (Lynch/Frost) to take it.
YES YES YES it's 25 years later
folks stuck in the 90's and they are way younger than my 50 year old ass.......

Twin Peaks green
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

This is an 18 hour film.We are 2/3 into it now and the final act remains now.Most of Lynch's films take a drastic turn towards the final act.So I hope the final act will satisfy everyone
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

krishnanspace wrote:This is an 18 hour film.We are 2/3 into it now and the final act remains now.Most of Lynch's films take a drastic turn towards the final act.So I hope the final act will satisfy everyone

wisdom
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

wAtChLaR wrote:
S
YES YES YES it's 25 years later
folks stuck in the 90's and they are way younger than my 50 year old ass.......

Though it does sound like those folk are posting in a more mature way.

Please refrain from rudeness to fellow posters in this thread. Other posters who like the series such as Mt Wentz, N Needleman and Mr Reindeer to name a few, do not need to resort to snarky comments to make a point and us disappointed 'folk' appreciate that. Thank you to them and others for their respect.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

krishnanspace wrote:This is an 18 hour film.We are 2/3 into it now and the final act remains now.Most of Lynch's films take a drastic turn towards the final act.So I hope the final act will satisfy everyone
I am in this boat too, I have seen signs in episodes 11 and 12 of this being the very case here.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

krishnanspace wrote:This is an 18 hour film.
Not again with that... So all the bullshit we endure from day one will magically disappear IF Lynch ends this decently? Wow... so convenient. And if he ends it miserably? :mrgreen: