Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

The Gazebo wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Rex wrote:

Cooper should have donned that plaid shirt again and continued as Harry's (Truman's) deputy.
OMG please no!!! That was one of the dumbest developments ever. And I write this while wearing a plaid shirt!
No, I agree, that was a castrated Cooper - and as we've seen, he's definitely not that this season :)
I sense sarcasm here ;)
I can see Dougie with a plaid shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

yaxomoxay wrote:I sense sarcasm here ;)
I can see Dougie with a plaid shirt.
No sarcasm - Cooper without his suit and badge almost felt castrated, vulnerable, stripped of power. And whatever we think about Dougie, he's at least got his boots on, so to speak.

About the shirt - Dougie will wear anything Janey-E or Sonny Jim tells him to. I'd love to see him in a "F**k Google, ask me"-shirt :D
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

In the shirt, Cooper was a true Bookhouse Boy, one of the inside team.

To each his own. We all have a specific idea about how the plot should have evolved. This was mine.

Sorry if anyone is pissed off by this or thinks I'm trolling, but this is the "disappointed" thread.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Rex wrote:In the shirt, Cooper was a true Bookhouse Boy, one of the inside team.

To each his own. We all have a specific idea about how the plot should have evolved. This was mine.

Sorry if anyone is pissed off by this or thinks I'm trolling, but this is the "disappointed" thread.
Dude, it's all good. We'd all probably wish we were Bookhouse Boys, it's just that Cooper looked slightly cooler in a suit. Peace :)
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

The Gazebo wrote:
Rex wrote:In the shirt, Cooper was a true Bookhouse Boy, one of the inside team.

Dude, it's all good. We'd all probably wish we were Bookhouse Boys, it's just that Cooper looked slightly cooler in a suit. Peace :)
I'm actually a gal. "Rex" is my surname. :)
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Rex wrote:I'm actually a gal. "Rex" is my surname. :)
Sorry :) Well, keep contributing to the best thread on Dugpa. We're all hoping that the final six episodes will turn out to be a glorious return to Twin Peaks. :)
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Yeah no hard feelings. I wear plaid shirts every day ;) never thought about the shirt linked to the Bookhouse Boys ... now I feel like one, so thank you !!! I must buy the new Bookhouse Boys planner then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

The Gazebo wrote:
Rex wrote:I'm actually a gal. "Rex" is my surname. :)
Sorry :) Well, keep contributing to the best thread on Dugpa. We're all hoping that the final six episodes will turn out to be a glorious return to Twin Peaks. :)
I came to "TP" long after the series had been off the air. My ex was a little nuts like me and we both enjoyed coming home from work every night and binge-watching it.

When it was done we watched it all over again.

I can't get enough of the first two seasons. I was hoping S3 would be just as outstanding.

:(
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Rex wrote:I can't get enough of the first two seasons. I was hoping S3 would be just as outstanding. :(
I hear you. I'm still on the fence, after being close to murderous rage after episodes 5 and 6. This season has a lot of great scenes, and is in some ways even better than the original, but like me, I guess you're missing the tone, the mood, the feeling of being immersed in the town of Twin Peaks. I still have hope that Lynch will return there in the final six episodes - that he hasn't completely forgotten about us - but I think you just have to accept the premise of Twin Peaks intentionally being a cold place at the moment (without Cooper).
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

The Gazebo wrote:
Rex wrote:I can't get enough of the first two seasons. I was hoping S3 would be just as outstanding. :(
I hear you. I'm still on the fence, after being close to murderous rage after episodes 5 and 6. This season has a lot of great scenes, and is in some ways even better than the original, but like me, I guess you're missing the tone, the mood, the feeling of being immersed in the town of Twin Peaks. I still have hope that Lynch will return there in the final six episodes - that he hasn't completely forgotten about us - but I think you just have to accept the premise of Twin Peaks intentionally being a cold place at the moment (without Cooper).
This thing with Coop being an imbecile in every episode ticks me off. Considering what MacLachlan did with the character over the first two seasons, Lynch screwed him by doing this. There is an entire facet missing, Cooper's huge personality.

What's been done with Audrey is equally stupid. I don't see her as a harridan. She should have followed the FBI arc, possibly replacing Cooper in the position of investigating Bob's/Coop's probable crimes in town.

Honestly, what we've been presented with is an unimaginative casserole, all kinds of disparate sh*t from the original recipe thrown into one pot and let's see if it turns into something edible. It's like they had no plan. Ever.

On a side note, I'm intrigued by the hum in Horne's office. The first thing I thought was Josie.
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

Yeah you have to wonder what Kyle must have been thinking after reading all the script & saying to himself this is what has become of the great character i played in the first two seasons..

Of course he was just happy to be working with David again to probably be asking why make Dale Cooper brain damaged for most if not all of the new season..

A shame it is.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Rex wrote:
The Gazebo wrote:
This thing with Coop being an imbecile in every episode ticks me off. Considering what MacLachlan did with the character over the first two seasons, Lynch screwed him by doing this. There is an entire facet missing, Cooper's huge personality.

What's been done with Audrey is equally stupid. I don't see her as a harridan. She should have followed the FBI arc, possibly replacing Cooper in the position of investigating Bob's/Coop's probable crimes in town.

Honestly, what we've been presented with is an unimaginative casserole, all kinds of disparate sh*t from the original recipe thrown into one pot and let's see if it turns into something edible. It's like they had no plan. Ever.

On a side note, I'm intrigued by the hum in Horne's office. The first thing I thought was Josie.
Regarding Cooper, and speaking as someone who hasn't been disappointed with the series, I do really miss that character. Looking back for the last 9 episodes, it really does seem a shame that we couldn't have gotten some "damn good" Coop a bit earlier than it appears we are going to.

Having said that, I also wonder if that was ever even really possible. In fact, I worried before the season even started that having the old Coop back in action might end up being a bust. Could an older Maclachlan still pull that character off in a satisfying way? (I hope we still get to find out.). Would it make sense logically or thematically to have him back to being fascinated by douglas firs and ducks on the lake after 25 yrs in the lodge? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Now whether DougieCoop was the way to go is a perfectly legitimate question. And maybe an imperfect Cooper peformance would have been better than what we have now. Personally, I'm probably about 50-50 enjoyment-irritation when it comes to Dougie scenes. For example, I thought the board meeting scene was excellent; but the sex scene is right up there with the Little Nicky thought balloon for my all time least favorite (so was Audrey's scene, but maybe that will turn out to be more than we originally thought).

In short, I'm not convinced a season of DougieCoop was the right way to go, but I'm also aware that 18 episodes of good ole Dale post 25-year hiatus could have also had its share of serious problems. At the very least, I don't think it's the no-brainer so many people seem to think it is.
Welcome...to the third...place.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mallard wrote:Regarding Cooper, and speaking as someone who hasn't been disappointed with the series, I do really miss that character. Looking back for the last 9 episodes, it really does seem a shame that we couldn't have gotten some "damn good" Coop a bit earlier than it appears we are going to.

Having said that, I also wonder if that was ever even really possible. In fact, I worried before the season even started that having the old Coop back in action might end up being a bust. Could an older Maclachlan still pull that character off in a satisfying way? (I hope we still get to find out.).
Honestly, Kyle's performance felt off even in FWWM -- as did Ferrer's and Lynch's. All three feel less quirky and more like traditional FBI agents in the film, with their eccentricities far less pronounced than on the series. For Gordon and Albert, this progression has continued on TP:TR -- while it's great seeing Ferrer and DKL back in these roles, Albert is grim and dedicated to work with his insults seeming far more resigned/half-hearted than in the old show, whereas Gordon alternates between also being grim/dedicated, and being a charming/joyful caricature of DKL (but lacking Gordon's distinctive wide-eyed goofiness from the old show). I'm still a tad mixed on Albert, probably moreso than any other returning character....while Ferrer did great work, and I can accept this interpretation as a run-down version of the character a quarter-century on, part of me wishes he were given more witty/biting dialogue, even if the delivery remained the same (Gordon's repeated apologies in advance feel like hyperbole because Albert is never particularly insulting).

I guess this is all a long-winded way of saying I agree with you. :lol: Even in 1992, it seems either Kyle was unable to recapture Coop's persona precisely, or Lynch & Kyle simply weren't interested in doing so, and this seems to extend to all of the FBI characters.

I do think it's unfair to view the Dougie material as some sort of insult to Kyle: everything he's said indicates that he loved playing it, and this stuff is really a gift to an actor. He's doing incredible, subtle work, selling comedy and pathos with the smallest twitch of the corners or his mouth or flicker of his eyes. You can find it conceptually pretenious or boring or tedious; you can argue that this sort of thing should be left in acting class and not aired on prestige cable for hours on end; you can say it's an insult to the audience...but not to the actor. The mastery of craft Kyle is displaying is incredible, and I would bet that he LOVED the challenge, as any serious actor would.
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

Wasn't Ferrer battling the illness that would kill him while he was filming?

As far as KM being insulted, that's not how I meant my comment. I just feel cheated by his necessarily minimal performance.

I want old Coop. That's all. I'm waxing nostalgic. :(
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

i truly apologize to everyone re: my outburst(s)...

oh
wait....

ah that's better....Twin Peaks is my favorite thing in the entire world...ever...i am obsessed with this world...and i have to understand that not everyone is going to be as enthralled with its return...i'm just so unbelievably grateful for this coming back when i would have never dreamed it would...it feels like a gift...everyone enjoy the last 6 hours...

this freaking made me laugh though on reddit

goodnight
Attachments
wgbwGqnSgLSqJ-gmCL46pGTg4J6xHtKfzW2QT2_hqsw.jpg
wgbwGqnSgLSqJ-gmCL46pGTg4J6xHtKfzW2QT2_hqsw.jpg (139.6 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know