Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Redlodge
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Redlodge »

Yet another episode with no Good Dale. There were a few mildly entertaining scenes but as a whole another snails pace part. There is so much wasted time in these episodes that it drives me nuts. I mean Dopplecooper arm wrestling really ? ! Was sorry to see Ray go I liked his character.
How convenient that Richard Horne showed up at the Farm. The whole James Hurley scene was painful and the RR scenes were too long and drawn out. I've pretty much given up hope we will ever see Special Agent Dale Cooper again. Even if it's at the end I will be very disappointed.
I wanted The Return to be good but it isn't very good at all. This whole experience has been a major let down and a waste of time for me. I don't understand why it had to be so slow and pointless. It could have changed television forever but it is dying each Sunday with a whimper.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet , oh what a crop of mummy wheat.
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

Agreed. I, too, am disgusted with the snail's pace and wasted time.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Just watched it. I had read the comments beforehand and was expecting something great but have to say it dragged a lot. I found the EvilCoop scenes most entertaining. The Norma stuff was dull. I'll admit to being moved by Sarah and Audrey.

I know it's probably deliberate but wow is TP a different place. The Diner is just like any Diner you would wander into huh? I'm not going to apologise for it dammit - I DO miss the 'cosiness' of the original. If I want THIS experience it's easy, I just head out my front door lol.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

I'm glad for the people that genuinely love The Return. But let's face it there are some people that just get a kick out of looking down on those of us that don't fawn over anything made by DKL. I seriously question whether those people would have criticised ANYTHING we got, no matter how bad. I can't prove it but I have my suspicion that for some people, The Return was always going to be genius by definition. I'd rather be a 'hater' (lol) than just throwing all discernment out of the window.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

I loved how Ray was super confident that Doppel Coop would get his ass handed to him in arm wrestling.

This after having witnessed Doppel Coop having mind blowing supernatural elements on his side. After having seen him cheat death in the most insane, supernatural fashion.

And yet he is willing to risk his own life, smugly betting on the fact that evil Coop could not POSSIBLY, not POSSIBLY have anything up his sleeve.

Are you serious?!

That seems like pretty bad and lazy writing to me.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

mlsstwrt wrote:I'm glad for the people that genuinely love The Return. But let's face it there are some people that just get a kick out of looking down on those of us that don't fawn over anything made by DKL. I seriously question whether those people would have criticised ANYTHING we got, no matter how bad. I can't prove it but I have my suspicion that for some people, The Return was always going to be genius by definition. I'd rather be a 'hater' (lol) than just throwing all discernment out of the window.

You HATER !!! ;)
Personally, I find this thread one of the most interesting threads in the forum.
Granted, I love dissecting the episodes and sing praises to them, reciting psalms in honor of Lynch/Frost, all while holding my original copy of the Necronomicon up to convince the Ancient Ones in granting us more episodes.
However, I also like the different perspective of this group, which if anything it helps me get a less biased opinion of the various episodes. So, keep up.

Let me know what you think of Bergman's movie!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Agent327 wrote:I loved how Ray was super confident that Doppel Coop would get his ass handed to him in arm wrestling.

This after having witnessed Doppel Coop having mind blowing supernatural elements on his side. After having seen him cheat death in the most insane, supernatural fashion.

And yet he is willing to risk his own life, smugly betting on the fact that evil Coop could not POSSIBLY, not POSSIBLY have anything up his sleeve.

Are you serious?!

I don't think Ray had much choice, the boss would've killed him as it was clear when Ray tried to leave the room.
One thing that is not clear to me is why Ray told Mr. C about the ring.

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

mlsstwrt wrote:Just watched it. I had read the comments beforehand and was expecting something great but have to say it dragged a lot. I found the EvilCoop scenes most entertaining. The Norma stuff was dull. I'll admit to being moved by Sarah and Audrey.

I know it's probably deliberate but wow is TP a different place. The Diner is just like any Diner you would wander into huh? I'm not going to apologise for it dammit - I DO miss the 'cosiness' of the original. If I want THIS experience it's easy, I just head out my front door lol.
I am pretty sure this is the original diner from the pilot (and FWWM).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Agent327 wrote:I loved how Ray was super confident that Doppel Coop would get his ass handed to him in arm wrestling.

Are you serious?!

I don't think Ray had much choice, the boss would've killed him as it was clear when Ray tried to leave the room.
One thing that is not clear to me is why Ray told Mr. C about the ring.

Because he was a dimwit?

Would love a closeup of that ring.

This was a moment from the old "TP" and welcomed by me. It was like Lynch tightening up the laces and bringing the entire series a little closer together.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Oh Christ! I'm not supposed to be posting much until the finale, but 'Just You??!!!' When the MC announced James Hurley the way he did the Nine Inch Nails and James sang that song I almost literally pissed myself!

It was Lynch extending a raised finger to all of us who have complained in the most brilliant way possible. I was in hysterics on the level of Doppel-Coop in the season two finale.

Touché, Mr Lynch, touché! Absolutely made my day! For all my complaints about the new show, that was a master stroke!!

(PS I did wonder whether the woman crying and giggling while James was singing was supposed to be one of the Heywood girls.)
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Gabriel wrote:Oh Christ! I'm not supposed to be posting much until the finale, but 'Just You??!!!' When the MC announced Janes Hurley the way he did the Nine Inch Nails and James sang that song I almost literally pissed myself!

It was Lynch extending a raised finger to all of us who have complained in the most brilliant way possible. I was in hysterics on the level of Doppel-Coop in the season two finale.

Touché, Mr Lynch, touché! Absolutely made my day! For all my complaints about the new show, that was a master stroke!!

(PS I did wonder whether the woman crying and giggling while James was singing was supposed to be one of the Heywood girls.)
Ahhaha I never laughed so hard listening to a song I hate with all my heart. Yes, it was a master stroke... so unexpected!

As for the woman, she's one of Shelly's friends. I think we see at the end of E2, when Shelly mentions that James was always cool. I guess he's actually cool in the world of TP....!!! :)

mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:I'm glad for the people that genuinely love The Return. But let's face it there are some people that just get a kick out of looking down on those of us that don't fawn over anything made by DKL. I seriously question whether those people would have criticised ANYTHING we got, no matter how bad. I can't prove it but I have my suspicion that for some people, The Return was always going to be genius by definition. I'd rather be a 'hater' (lol) than just throwing all discernment out of the window.

You HATER !!! ;)
Personally, I find this thread one of the most interesting threads in the forum.
Granted, I love dissecting the episodes and sing praises to them, reciting psalms in honor of Lynch/Frost, all while holding my original copy of the Necronomicon up to convince the Ancient Ones in granting us more episodes.
However, I also like the different perspective of this group, which if anything it helps me get a less biased opinion of the various episodes. So, keep up.

Let me know what you think of Bergman's movie!!

Ha ha thanks Yamoxay. You're undoubtedly one of the people that genuinely loves The Return and I'm enjoying your posts in this thread. I just think it's funny to be sneered at by certain people who would praise The Return as the greatest work of art in the history of man even if it were just an hour of static each week.

Can't wait to see the Bergman movie. Sounds right up my street. I'm obsessed with feelings of nostalgia (as is evident from my disappointment in The Return ;-))
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

yaxomoxay wrote:

Are you serious?!

Ray only tried to leave the room when, to his complete shock, the boss was losing! And even then the boss didn't keep him there.....it was a couple of the goons, and of course they would hold him back, since the bet had already been made. You don't just weasel out of that because you feel like it.

Up to that point Ray was nothing bug smug about the whole thing. Even after Bad Coop reveals that he "wants Ray" if he wins he simply gives him a confident, smug look "No way you're gonna win". He is basically laughing at him.

And he only goes from smugness to complete shock once it turns out Doppel Coop is winning and that he might not be an ordinary guy after all. Which of course should come as absolutely no shock to him.

That is just typical bad and lazy writing. You can defend it out of a need to defend it, but there is no rational argument to be made in it's defense.

And there is quite a lot of that when it comes to "The Return", where people want to defend things simply because they feel like they need to do so.

The bad, cheap obvious screen replacement is all of a sudden Lynch being a genius in some way no one can explain. Lynch misquoting himself slightly with the "Good to see you again" line was surely on purpose too even though no one could explain why it wasn't an error.

There is a clear sense that Lynch can do no wrong, especially now that he is over 70. This MUST and shall be his best work.

In fact, in the 'Episode 12 thread' someone was claiming in all seriousness, that the (in my view very dull) episode 12 beats EVERY single episode of the original Twin Peaks.
Every single one. Including the most iconic, scary, touching moments from the original.
That's where we are at with this extreme positive confirmation bias in respect to The Return.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

I don't understand how people could think this was better than the Pilot or Episode 14. Just don't get it.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Gabriel wrote:Oh Christ! I'm not supposed to be posting much until the finale, but 'Just You??!!!' When the MC announced James Hurley the way he did the Nine Inch Nails and James sang that song I almost literally pissed myself!

It was a middle finger given with loving intent though :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly