Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

WhyLynchWhy

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by WhyLynchWhy »

Hey guys, first time poster.

The discussion here has inspired me to create a video comparing this 3rd season to some of Neil Breen's work. If any of you have seen Fateful Findings or Double Down, you might have already noticed some similarities. I just tried to dig a little deeper.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

SoCalPeaksFan wrote:The issue here is calling it "Twin Peaks", it just isn't - so far.
Yep!!

It's a spinoff show that features characters from Twin Peaks. To call it season three of Twin Peaks is a load of bollocks.

I like it as a bonkers Lynch show. I like that it includes characters from Twin Peaks. But it ain't Twin Peaks.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

Gabriel wrote:
SoCalPeaksFan wrote:The issue here is calling it "Twin Peaks", it just isn't - so far.
Yep!!

It's a spinoff show that features characters from Twin Peaks. To call it season three of Twin Peaks is a load of bollocks.

I like it as a bonkers Lynch show. I like that it includes characters from Twin Peaks. But it ain't Twin Peaks.
Well, we have 12 episodes to go. TP S1 was 8 episodes long so things might change and we might have the "regular" TP-style stuff beginning at E10 ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by yaxomoxay on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Slightly off the beaten topic path, but as much as I've loved the entire series so far there's one teeny little nitpick I have and it's the scene with the atypical "problematic" police officer. The entire scene played out like an adaptation of one of those "and then everybody CLAPPED" blog post stories. It's the only forced thing imo insofar that it could have totally done without or done differently.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

WhyLynchWhy wrote:Hey guys, first time poster.
The discussion here has inspired me to create a video comparing this 3rd season to some of Neil Breen's work. If any of you have seen Fateful Findings or Double Down, you might have already noticed some similarities. I just tried to dig a little deeper.
Even as someone who is enjoying s3, this video was amusing to me. The disjointed narrative and glacial unfolding of events does have some similarities to Breen's body of work. And I'd be lying if I didn't think of Breen's car accident when the little kid is hit by Richard.

You could put the re-usage of the "119" shot in the reused shots section
SoCalPeaksFan

Post by SoCalPeaksFan »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Yep!!

Well, we have 12 episodes to go. TP S1 was 8 episodes long so things might change and we might have the "regular" TP-style stuff beginning at E10 ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I've been hoping for, a return to form, but with each passing episode, it becomes less and less likely.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

I've never heard of Neil Breen but holy smokes. The SANDWICH. Wonder what Breen makes of it? (Really nice ambient music too I'm all nappy time now) Next level CGI :lol:

From Reddit had to share. I don't know what will happen or what, but there are hipsters in the Roadhouse
Attachments
NYgnMEJPn_LdVv9SLZV8fOzdy79P3nFXX9m-GtjQZ8s.png
NYgnMEJPn_LdVv9SLZV8fOzdy79P3nFXX9m-GtjQZ8s.png (577.34 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ha, not a fan of the Sharon Van Etten song either, or the Cactus Blossoms. Not really my style of music, but I think they fit the Roadhouse environment.
On the other hand I thought Trouble made a pretty cool tune, reminded me of the Pink Room. The Chromatics song was nice too, but I have to say I liked the scene more than the song itself.
And finally, my favorite band so far, Au Revoir Simone. Can't stop listening to Lark. Very catchy tune :D
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I enjoyed all band appearances and songs besides the Cactus Blossoms. Not my kind of music. Chromatics and Trouble are probably the best. It also helps that there is a scene in the Roadhouse too, not just a music performance.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I kind of like the idea of a "band of the week" and the loosey-goosey feeling it gives the show with most episodes ending with a random band, but I'm not too fond of any of the songs yet except the melody for the Au Revoir Simone song. I've never heard of any of these groups. Did Lynch take applications from hipster bands for this? Most of the songs haven't had a very Lynchian feel. I wonder if Reznor is going to perform with NIN, How to Destroy Angels, or act. That would at least be guaranteed talent on the stage, although would he (and Vedder for that matter) be playing himself or just a lower-tiered musician at the Roadhouse?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote: I wonder if Reznor is going to perform with NIN, How to Destroy Angels, or act. That would at least be guaranteed talent on the stage, although would he (and Vedder for that matter) be playing himself or just a lower-tiered musician at the Roadhouse?
This line of thought also begs the question: was Riley Lynch playing himself, and if so, who is his father in the TP world?
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Seems like everyone down with Cactus Blossoms (myself included) for the most part are not down with the other bands. I dig the everly bros style - and they have a song called 'change your heart or die." If the score was all I love how you love me do wop style I would be happy

The Chromatics song was perfect for the comeback mood, just derivative enough of Falling lol. But perhaps too much self consciously so.

Riley as the Grandson could be interesting. He's bees-being studying magic AND low rock rock n roll.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

I'm loving all of these people who liked Twin Peaks for it's soap opera qualities in the original run- now that has been largely excised in the new series they have nothing to hold onto- they're floundering around like squid on the floor. The new series is also separating the wheat from the chaff- true Lynchheads are savoring every moment of the new series wondering where it will turn to next- while the stale " it's not twin Peaks " contingent are stuck in their own version of the Black Lodge- in this case their idealized version of Twin Peaks from the original series. If the new series had been more like the old one I would have been profoundly disappointed- what i can't understand are people moaning for 40 + pages about how the new season didn't do what they wanted it to do ( remain stuck in place and time ). I'm glad the soap opera is largely gone- and I'm digging the Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead qualities of The Return.
As for the Neil Breen video dude- you could do that to Citizen Kane if you wanted to- but I foresee a bright future for you in infomercials.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Wrong thread.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I liked all the bands, including the Cactus Blossoms.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.