Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

I am shocked, but both of my kids loved episode 12. I really don't know why, but they wanted to go back and re-watch some scenes, and they discussed it.
On a second watch, it was much better than after the first watch, but I still think it's a crappy episode with a few high points (Sarah Palmer).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

mlsstwrt wrote:Shared experiences are being lost. With TV it's too many channels, internet, streaming, etc. Then with music, I've been to a couple of gigs recently and it felt like half the audience was filming the entire thing on their phone. So I was experiencing the gig and they were experiencing filming the gig. Didn't feel like we were sharing much.
Nailed it.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think if you're looking to understand what they were going for with Dougie, it's important to remember that DKL's daughter was 2-3 years old during filming, and Mark's dad was suffering from Alzheimer's. The formation and loss of personal identity, and the question of what identity even is, was clearly prominent on their minds.
Nailed it.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but with the new trend of interpreting scenes as a dialogue between Lynch/Frost and the audience, Bushnell's fist in ep. 9 can be viewed in a new light. The Fuscos (L&F) refuse to tell Bushnell (us) what we'd like to hear. This annoys us to no end, but like Bushnell we have no choice but to accept it.

And then, in ep. 11, Bushnell (the viewer) tries to steer Dougie (the show) towards the car to get things going, but of course Dougie has to take a detour first.

Yeah, bit of a stretch, I know :)
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

The Gazebo wrote:Maybe this has been mentioned before, but with the new trend of interpreting scenes as a dialogue between Lynch/Frost and the audience, Bushnell's fist in ep. 9 can be viewed in a new light. The Fuscos (L&F) refuse to tell Bushnell (us) what we'd like to hear. This annoys us to no end, but like Bushnell we have no choice but to accept it.

And then, in ep. 11, Bushnell (the viewer) tries to steer Dougie (the show) towards the car to get things going, but of course Dougie has to take a detour first.

Yeah, bit of a stretch, I know :)
i don't think it is abit of a stretch. A recurrent theme in Lynch's interviews is a refusal to spell things out and give an easy answer, to let people make their own minds up, to go on journey rather than reach a conclusion. That this series continually sets up situations which make that explicit is unlikely to be accidental - in fact it is part of it's DNA. If there is a plot, it is ( Lynch always says) that it is open ended, a continuing story, he described the series 2 Leland Palmer = bob plot resolution as '' killing the goose that laid the golden egg''. It must have been foremost in his mind ( total editorial control) not to let this happen a second time. If there is easy resolution, there will be no series 4. I would rather continue the journey than be given all the answers and reach the ( impossible, utopian, hollywood ending) destination. I can't be the only one.

The Cooper story is really just a broad narrative/ structural spine to hang an endless series of digressions and thematically linked episodes on. The longer it goes on the more chance Lynch/ Frost ( and therefore the audience) have to explore this world and tell more stories. Finality or resolution would kill it. It did 25 years ago. I hope it doesn't this time round.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

referendum wrote:The Cooper story is really just a broad narrative/ structural spine to hang an endless series of digressions and thematically linked episodes on. The longer it goes on the more chance Lynch/ Frost ( and therefore the audience) have to explore this world and tell more stories. Finality or resolution would kill it. It did 25 years ago. I hope it doesn't this time round.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the ending is ambiguous instead of having a sense of finality or a good ol' cliffhanger. I'd like more as well, but I don't expect it.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the ending is ambiguous instead of having a sense of finality or a good ol' cliffhanger. I'd like more as well, but I don't expect it.
here's an article that has an interesting/ credible explanation of the ' dougie ' plotline that fits in with Lynch's re-use of bits of pretty much all his past work ( including unmade things like ronnie rocket) in this series... http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandcult ... t-explains
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

The Gazebo wrote:
referendum wrote:The Cooper story is really just a broad narrative/ structural spine to hang an endless series of digressions and thematically linked episodes on. The longer it goes on the more chance Lynch/ Frost ( and therefore the audience) have to explore this world and tell more stories. Finality or resolution would kill it. It did 25 years ago. I hope it doesn't this time round.
I want Coopers arc to feel complete, but I also hope Lynch goes really nuts again in the last few episodes and gives us something that blows our minds...something we can argue about and puzzle over for years to come.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Saela wrote:
The Gazebo wrote:
I want Coopers arc to feel complete, but I also hope Lynch goes really nuts again in the last few episodes and gives us something that blows our minds...something we can argue about and puzzle over for years to come.
yeah maybe the last episode will feature a shot of Cooper catching a baseball :D
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

referendum wrote:here's an article that has an interesting/ credible explanation of the ' dougie ' plotline that fits in with Lynch's re-use of bits of pretty much all his past work ( including unmade things like ronnie rocket) in this series... http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandcult ... t-explains
Interesting read. Thanks. While this season's Coop, as you say, has been an introduction to explore other themes, it might seem that the show itself has been a vehicle to explore unfinished ideas from the past (like the cigarette commercial/convenience store). And of course, there are varying degrees as to how OK we are with that :D
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

it might seem that the show itself has been a vehicle to explore unfinished ideas from the past (like the cigarette commercial/convenience store). And of course, there are varying degrees as to how OK we are with that :D
well you know, how do you get from one dimension to another after 25 years?
You can't get in through the front door, try the back door. Or the conveniently open window into the cellar.
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

Had to catch up on 20 pages, but many, many good points made on the evolution of the story.

I still think it's a snore-fest though. So much time to work with is wasted on consuming nothing.

My hope is that Cooper will snap in line soon and spend the remaining episodes examining his experience in his usual profound and humorous way.

I'm also hoping Major Briggs shows up as part of the resolution.
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

Having read more of the thread, it's the "cozy" that's missing.

Cooper should have donned that plaid shirt again and continued as Harry's (Truman's) deputy. The story would have been ripe, ripe, ripe not only for Season 3, but possibly more.

Leaving town for the majority of the arc has crippled the atmosphere.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

[quote="Rex"]

Cooper should have donned that plaid shirt again and continued as Harry's (Truman's) deputy.
.[quote]

OMG please no!!! That was one of the dumbest developments ever. And I write this while wearing a plaid shirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Rex wrote:

Cooper should have donned that plaid shirt again and continued as Harry's (Truman's) deputy.
OMG please no!!! That was one of the dumbest developments ever. And I write this while wearing a plaid shirt!
No, I agree, that was a castrated Cooper - and as we've seen, he's definitely not that this season :)