Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yeah, I know it wasn’t directed at me... I was just profoundly rambling. And I agree, unless it was me they called upon to fix things. I’m arrogant enough to think, “hold on guys, let me help you out here, it’ll be okay, Mark, David...I’ve got this.”
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:Yes, one can say the fathers are the end all in their decision making, and this is their vision. But that doesn’t mean the viewer even if he or she was a fan has to automatically like the end result.
I'm not saying nobody has to enjoy it. This isn't directed at you, but saying someone else should come in and "fix it" to be how "they say it should be by others who have REAL understanding" is belittling to them whether you like what they've made or not. It's "fans know better than the creators" spiel; that's what I and others ultimately disagree with, not dislike in general.
It doesn’t mean I dislike Frost or Lynch, but just disappointed in what they presented. To me, it was like they had all the best ingredients... but the meal just didn’t come together for me. No books or essays about it are now going to make a switch turn on in me and say, oh now I love it. And yeah, I’ll be the first to say ugh the story didn’t go the way I wanted it to (Cough, Audrey Coooer, cough). But also say objectively things just didn’t work for me. Sure there are moments of just brilliance, but the overall meal the two chefs made left me profoundly disappointed.
Completely, and totally understandable.
This.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Audrey Horne wrote:Yeah, I know it wasn’t directed at me... I was just profoundly rambling. And I agree, unless it was me they called upon to fix things. I’m arrogant enough to think, “hold on guys, let me help you out here, it’ll be okay, Mark, David...I’ve got this.”
lol I feel you there tbh, despite thoroughly enjoying The Return there's an odd thing here or there I'm like "hmm this I'd maybe have done differently" but it is what it is.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

Someone close to Lynch (like the co-creator of the damn thing) should have advised him at least about what NOT to do.
I'm thinking about the most terrible choices of the season :

- The red curtain icon floating above slot machines in Vegas, turning it into a magical money maker + the infamous "Helloooo-ooo-ooo"
- The cheap VFX (except episode 8, most of the CG's are ridiculously bad), fake gunshots, fake bullet wounds, glitches that fans take as easter eggs...)
- The Road House end scenes (or middle scene > episode 8 )
- Lynch sick obsession about vomit...
- The amazingly stupid idea about Laura created by a supernatural benevolent being and sent down to earth (nothing else can beat that)
- The 'famous' and ridiculous Audrey's Dance scene (imagine the same thing with Sheryl Lee : And now Laura Palmer and her famous Dead Girl Wrapped in Plastic !).
- The Marvel parody ending of episode 17 (Rubber Fist vs Dark BOBble)
- Most of the plotlines going nowhere
- All tthe Doogie Coop idiocy
- Gordon Cole explaining things ('When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk' or is it 'Show, don't tell'?)
- The X hours film concept (that works with StrangerThings, with TPTR that's just a bad joke)
- The long/boring/completely useless/silent scenes (hush... that's art... don't criticize the maestro...)
- The Fuck You ending (dream/time travel/parallel universe or is it reality/middle finger)

I especially like the funny illogical plot holes like the murder of Ruth Davenport. She seems to have been killed by Mr C (a bullet in the eye, like Bill Hasting's wife) but have the infamous coordinates he desperately seeks written on her left arm. So who wrote them? The bearded men? Don't they work for BOB/Mr C? And why display her head alongside Major's Briggs body? What Mr C expected when entering the portal to the White Lodge? What was his masterplan? Did he have any? The same question could be asked to Lynch himself...

But of course it's Art, it's supposed to be that way...
Middle finger.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Aqwell wrote:Someone close to Lynch (like the co-creator of the damn thing) should have advised him at least about what NOT to do.
I'm thinking about the most terrible choices of the season :

- The red curtain icon floating above slot machines in Vegas, turning it into a magical money maker + the infamous "Helloooo-ooo-ooo"
- The cheap VFX (except episode 8, most of the CG's are ridiculously bad), fake gunshots, fake bullet wounds, glitches that fans take as easter eggs...)
- The Road House end scenes (or middle scene > episode 8 )
- Lynch sick obsession about vomit...
- The amazingly stupid idea about Laura created by a supernatural benevolent being and sent down to earth (nothing else can beat that)
- The 'famous' and ridiculous Audrey's Dance scene (imagine the same thing with Sheryl Lee : And now Laura Palmer and her famous Dead Girl Wrapped in Plastic !).
- The Marvel parody ending of episode 17 (Rubber Fist vs Dark BOBble)
- Most of the plotlines going nowhere
- All tthe Doogie Coop idiocy
- Gordon Cole explaining things ('When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk' or is it 'Show, don't tell'?)
- The X hours film concept (that works with StrangerThings, with TPTR that's just a bad joke)
- The long/boring/completely useless/silent scenes (hush... that's art... don't criticize the maestro...)
- The Fuck You ending (dream/time travel/parallel universe or is it reality/middle finger)

I especially like the funny illogical plot holes like the murder of Ruth Davenport. She seems to have been killed by Mr C (a bullet in the eye, like Bill Hasting's wife) but have the infamous coordinates he desperately seeks written on her left arm. So who wrote them? The bearded men? Don't they work for BOB/Mr C? And why display her head alongside Major's Briggs body? What Mr C expected when entering the portal to the White Lodge? What was his masterplan? Did he have any? The same question could be asked to Lynch himself...

But of course it's Art, it's supposed to be that way...
Middle finger.
Whether I ended up loving it, hating it, or feeling indifferent, I'd much rather see an artists unfiltered vision than see a film made by a committee of advisors.

Essentially this is what Disney is doing with Star Wars. I know that some people liked the Force Awakens.: I personally was bored to tears because the franchise has been stripped of creative inspiration and replaced with a gigantic stroll down memory lane, calculate precisely to be a cash cow and please investors.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

mtwentz wrote:Whether I ended up loving it, hating it, or feeling indifferent, I'd much rather see an artists unfiltered vision than see a film made by a committee of advisors. Essentially this is what Disney is doing with Star Wars.
Personally, I just want to see good movies and good tv shows. And Lynch didn't need advisors to fuck up Twin Peaks, he did it all by himself, recycling ideas, obsessions, even footage from FWWM. The result is this big 18 parts dump some scary people call revolutionary TV.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

I feed on your selfish contempt. Keep serving it up!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Funny how expressing one's own wishes and expectations regarding this property earns a tag of "selfishness" from the worshipers crowd (like it isn't something all of us have been doing in 90 % of the cases). As long as their expectations are well served...
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I think "disappointed" is officially the wrong term for this thread. If it was just that this thread would have died not long after the series aired. Vitriol is a more apt word. Vitriol is harder to let go of. When I've been disappointed by something I usually let it go and forget about it within a week or so. This thread is still going strong and the vitriol of those who didn't get what they were expecting hasn't abated one bit. That says something. It's the same effect seen with the reaction to Darren Aronofsky's "Mother", and in fact, many of the most notable films ever made... many of which have elicited divisive responses, and this thread makes a compelling case that Twin Peaks belongs in that category.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

That's part and parcel of building upon established characters and storylines, tho. Established for decades, even. I've read and promptly forgotten so much outrageous crap, but watch me still gleefully spew bile over one specific videogame sequel from 2002...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

As a once avid (and slowly returning as a moderately interested) gamer, I'm very curious as to which 2002 title might that be...
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Final Fantasy X-2. And last year I found XV to be even more of a jumbled mess, approaching the platonic ideal of a jumbled mess, but it worked with its own characters and setting, so, who cares. It was honestly an appalling experience and I'll still tell tales of my increasingly hallucinated playthrough to interested friends, but that's all it ever was to me, an endless source of hilarious anecdotes. X-2, otoh? X-2 spat in my cereals and keyed my car. Sequels, man.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

AgentEcho wrote:I think "disappointed" is officially the wrong term for this thread. If it was just that this thread would have died not long after the series aired. Vitriol is a more apt word. Vitriol is harder to let go of. When I've been disappointed by something I usually let it go and forget about it within a week or so. This thread is still going strong and the vitriol of those who didn't get what they were expecting hasn't abated one bit. That says something. It's the same effect seen with the reaction to Darren Aronofsky's "Mother", and in fact, many of the most notable films ever made... many of which have elicited divisive responses, and this thread makes a compelling case that Twin Peaks belongs in that category.
There's an old saying, something along the lines of ,'it's better to be hated than ignored'.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Agent Earle wrote:Funny how expressing one's own wishes and expectations regarding this property earns a tag of "selfishness" from the worshipers crowd (like it isn't something all of us have been doing in 90 % of the cases). As long as their expectations are well served...
Except there's some folks who simply aren't doing that, and have a contemptuous holier-than-thou attitude of what they say the series should be "objectively." And yea that's pretty selfish spoiled fanboy attitude. There's no room to debate anybody who simply says they don't like it, because there's nothing more to say. I like how me calling this out automatically gets me called a "worshipper" too; have I stated how I feel about the series? Have I told you I even enjoy it? People who don't like it can disagree with bad attitudes about not liking it in case one thought that to be impossible. :idea:
AgentEcho wrote:I think "disappointed" is officially the wrong term for this thread. If it was just that this thread would have died not long after the series aired. Vitriol is a more apt word. Vitriol is harder to let go of. When I've been disappointed by something I usually let it go and forget about it within a week or so. This thread is still going strong and the vitriol of those who didn't get what they were expecting hasn't abated one bit. That says something. It's the same effect seen with the reaction to Darren Aronofsky's "Mother", and in fact, many of the most notable films ever made... many of which have elicited divisive responses, and this thread makes a compelling case that Twin Peaks belongs in that category.
How dare you! Attack members of! This board! For SIMPLY saying they don't like The Return!!
Spoiler:
:wink:
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:I feed on your selfish contempt. Keep serving it up!
You're right about contempt, but selfish? I don't get it. My english is too limited to be able to really debate, and everything has already been said in far better way about The Return's (huge) flaws. So yeah, I'm just ranting, reacting and repeating myself. Sorry for that. I should just read you guys and keep my grouchiness for myself. :|