Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

boske wrote:
Rialto wrote:
boske wrote: How many shows would be or have been given an opportunity such as this? None. They had this glorious opportunity to really delve into these aspects of time and its passage, and they royally blew it. I am obviously not talking about a movie where they age everybody 25 years, but where the actual 25 years have passed.
Well, only Dallas :lol:

And they blew it in their own way. There's a revival that really should have gone full camp pastiche, but instead became a bland shadow of the original.
Yeah, I missed that one, you're right. :-) Here though most of the core cast was available, with the exception of Frank Silva. Even Michael Ontkean was seemingly into it at one point early on. Strange.
Although I've read over and over again that Ontkean didn't join TR because he's retired from acting, judging by the quality of the writing, especially when it came to Sheriff Truman, one has to wonder if Ontkean jumped ship because he didn't like what Lynch had done to the characters.
"That's what I need, a clean place, reasonably priced."
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by David Locke »

AhmedKhalifa wrote:
boske wrote:
Rialto wrote:

And they blew it in their own way. There's a revival that really should have gone full camp pastiche, but instead became a bland shadow of the original.
Yeah, I missed that one, you're right. :-) Here though most of the core cast was available, with the exception of Frank Silva. Even Michael Ontkean was seemingly into it at one point early on. Strange.
Although I've read over and over again that Ontkean didn't join TR because he's retired from acting, judging by the quality of the writing, especially when it came to Sheriff Truman, one has to wonder if Ontkean jumped ship because he didn't like what Lynch had done to the characters.
I'm pretty sure Ontkean was just too ill to do it. It's not widely known as to his condition but it makes sense. His last movie was filmed in Hawaii where he lives, as it's hard for him to travel. Read something about him needing to be in warmer climates but dunno if that's true. But it'd make sense because maybe he thought he could do it and was enthusiastic but then when it came time his condition worsened or made it so he couldn't travel up to CA or WA, and they just decided to write Truman's illness into the story.

Again, I don't have proof of this at hand, but I've heard it a lot and it seems to me the most plausible explanation.

I think if there's anything wrong with the writing for Frank Truman it's simply that he's underused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

David Locke wrote:
AhmedKhalifa wrote:
boske wrote: Yeah, I missed that one, you're right. :-) Here though most of the core cast was available, with the exception of Frank Silva. Even Michael Ontkean was seemingly into it at one point early on. Strange.
I'm pretty sure Ontkean was just too ill to do it. It's not widely known as to his condition but it makes sense. His last movie was filmed in Hawaii where he lives, as it's hard for him to travel. Read something about him needing to be in warmer climates but dunno if that's true. But it'd make sense because maybe he thought he could do it and was enthusiastic but then when it came time his condition worsened or made it so he couldn't travel up to CA or WA, and they just decided to write Truman's illness into the story.

Again, I don't have proof of this at hand, but I've heard it a lot and it seems to me the most plausible explanation.

I think if there's anything wrong with the writing for Frank Truman it's simply that he's underused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His presence would've made a world of difference, I think.

Sent from my Lenovo A2020a40 using Tapatalk
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

A bevy of articles keep saying that TR makes for a great companion piece to FWWM. Maybe. But, for me, it sure as hell doesn't work as a sequel or companion piece to the original series. Watching them together highlights everything that's wrong with TR.

boske
Great Northern Member

Re: RE: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by boske »

AhmedKhalifa wrote:
David Locke wrote:
AhmedKhalifa wrote: Although I've read over and over again that Ontkean didn't join TR because he's retired from acting, judging by the quality of the writing, especially when it came to Sheriff Truman, one has to wonder if Ontkean jumped ship because he didn't like what Lynch had done to the characters.

Harry Truman would be certainly more emotionally involved with the story but I am ok with Forster, he is doing fine given the material. His character has not been done any justice either (to quote Richard Horne "Sheriff here is 90 years old"), nothing new under the Sun I suppose, we could have had Hawk as the Sheriff. I was bothered by those phone calls to Harry. If you do not intend to have him in a cameo appearance, do not bring him into the story. Unless you want to give people a false hope that he may still show up.
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

On a positive note, Julee Cruise just posted on her FB page that she'll indeed appear in tonight's episode. I hope Lynch does right by her, after all we've had to endure in the Road House scenes.

AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

boske wrote:
AhmedKhalifa wrote:
David Locke wrote: I'm pretty sure Ontkean was just too ill to do it. It's not widely known as to his condition but it makes sense. His last movie was filmed in Hawaii where he lives, as it's hard for him to travel. Read something about him needing to be in warmer climates but dunno if that's true. But it'd make sense because maybe he thought he could do it and was enthusiastic but then when it came time his condition worsened or made it so he couldn't travel up to CA or WA, and they just decided to write Truman's illness into the story.

Harry Truman would be certainly more emotionally involved with the story but I am ok with Forster, he is doing fine given the material. His character has not been done any justice either (to quote Richard Horne "Sheriff here is 90 years old"), nothing new under the Sun I suppose, we could have had Hawk as the Sheriff. I was bothered by those phone calls to Harry. If you do not intend to have him in a cameo appearance, do not bring him into the story. Unless you want to give people a false hope that he may still show up.
Forster is fine, but his "I'm bemused by all the weirdness in TP" schtick got old fast, which isn't his fault, of course, as his role is so thinly written. Maybe he'll have more to do in the finale, but I doubt it.

boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

We have to give credit to Ike the Spike, he's the only bad guy that has lived long enough to watch the finale. I am not counting on Red, he probably choked on one of his magic coins. :lol:
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

boske wrote:We have to give credit to Ike the Spike, he's the only bad guy that has lived long enough to watch the finale. I am not counting on Red, he probably choked on one of his magic coins. Image
Yeah, right :) Really, what the hell happened with Red? His introductory scene set him up to be some kind of Uber baddie, then he simply vanished. Bizarre.

boske
Great Northern Member

Re: RE: Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by boske »

AhmedKhalifa wrote:
boske wrote:We have to give credit to Ike the Spike, he's the only bad guy that has lived long enough to watch the finale. I am not counting on Red, he probably choked on one of his magic coins. Image
Yeah, right :) Really, what the hell happened with Red? His introductory scene set him up to be some kind of Uber baddie, then he simply vanished. Bizarre.
Mr C ran out of henchmen, so I would expect him to have Red by his side tonight. That sure will break Shelly's heart. Not to worry, there are a lot of other wrong people out there for her to get attracted to. The bigger question is does she get to kiss Cole again? :lol:
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Find myself strangely upbeat today, probably for a few reasons:

1. The long, unsatisfactory ride is finally coming to a close.
2. The potential for two kick-ass hours of television tonight.
3. At last, I can be able to watch the whole damned thing, and maybe get a fresh perspective on things.

Need a break from it first, though. I won't force myself to watch it while having a negative mindset. Better to wait until the appetite is there again.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Yes, I have been in a jovial mode too, probably for the same reasons ("freedom at last!"). Here's another try for the name of the new season: "Twin Peaks: Dougie Talk To Me", or DTTM shortly :lol:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Rialto wrote:
boske wrote: How many shows would be or have been given an opportunity such as this? None. They had this glorious opportunity to really delve into these aspects of time and its passage, and they royally blew it. I am obviously not talking about a movie where they age everybody 25 years, but where the actual 25 years have passed.
...and Full House, Roseanne (upcoming)...both with 20+ years from finale-to-reboot and most of the original casts back. These kind of revivals are oddly trendy at the moment. Others with slightly shorter finale-to-revival dates (generally between 15 and 20 years for these) include The X-Files, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Boy Meets World, all with the original casts back. There were also several Brady Bunch revivals with the original cast stretching into the '90s, a Leave It to Beaver revival in the '80s, an ill-advised Get Smart revival in the '90s...interesting that these are almost all comedies. I guess pop culture nostalgia tends to be stronger for sitcoms than dramas. Obviously most of these shows probably weren't the ruminations on death and aging that you're talking about, although I could see Roseanne potentially doing some interesting stuff.

In terms of films, Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage and Saraband might be the longest gap (30 years) between sequels with the original casts reunited. The Odd Couple also comes to mind, with Matthau & Lemmon reuniting in 1998 30 years after the original, with Neil Simon again writing the screenplay. And of course the upcoming Blade Runner.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Happy finale day to all you profoundly disappointed folk! May the finale put all that came before into fresh perspective and restore your love for all things Peaks. But, barring that, congratulations on your release from the Black Lodge after tonight!
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Happy finale day to all you profoundly disappointed folk! May the finale put all that came before into fresh perspective and restore your love for all things Peaks. But, barring that, congratulations on your release from the Black Lodge after tonight!
A-men! :)
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...