Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by mlsstwrt »

Oh just following on from Bob1 I want to make clear that I love the original up until Leland's death. After that it sucked. I know a lot of people didn't like the episode where Leland was captured. Maybe it could have been done better but I still loved it. But, yeah after that it was awful (although I respect that others like Bob1 don't agree, just like I respect that people like The Return).

It's hard for me to choose between The Return and Episodes 17-28. The Return is undoubtedly better but I just find so little to like in it.

The thing is, when we heard Lynch was going to have total control over TR I never thought we would be comparing TR to Episodes 17-28! I thought we would be comparing it to the Pilot, Episode 14 and FWWM.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

BOB1 wrote: Now I think that 'objectively' these episodes are rather weak, it's just that I like them and they are soooo 'mine'.
The Return is not mine and I can appreciate some aspects (and criticize others) and that's about all.
SIGH ... this is so beautifully stated I could cry! Aces, man, truly.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Agent Earle wrote:
BOB1 wrote: Now I think that 'objectively' these episodes are rather weak, it's just that I like them and they are soooo 'mine'.
The Return is not mine and I can appreciate some aspects (and criticize others) and that's about all.
Very true. I'm honestly amazed at the acclaim for The Return given how difficult it is to connect with. Not that I don't respect that, it annoys me when ridiculously easy to connect with works (like The Shawshank Redemption) are so lauded, given that they're basically designed to play on the emotions of their audience. The Return isn't easy watching at all and that alone should endear it to me. Unfortunately there's no way I can watch The Return and find it anything other than terrible. Wish it weren't the case.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

mlsstwrt wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Very true. I'm honestly amazed at the acclaim for The Return given how difficult it is to connect with. Not that I don't respect that, it annoys me when ridiculously easy to connect with works (like The Shawshank Redemption) are so lauded, given that they're basically designed to play on the emotions of their audience. The Return isn't easy watching at all and that alone should endear it to me. Unfortunately there's no way I can watch The Return and find it anything other than terrible. Wish it weren't the case.
I get what you're saying. It's not like I (as someone who has yet miles to go to somewhat warm up to The Return, if it'll ever hapen at all) am someone whose viewing preferences can be (I say this at the risk of sounding disrespectful or elitist, though that's far from my intention) easily aligned with those of the general masses and it's not like I tend to gush over mushy mainstream stuff (agree with The Shawshank Redemption being hugely overrated; it's an OK movie and a very good Stephen King adaptation but "the greatest movie of all time"? Nah.). Throughout my life as a viewer, I've always - and I do mean always, from as far back as I can remember - gravitated towards weird, quirky, controversial, unsettling, difficult, frightening and just generally offbeat cinema - and while I get all of that from the original run (and FWWM) and The Return sounds on paper like the ideal candidate for it, the engagement, enjoyment and intrigue for me just aren't there. Weird, but that's how it is.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

That's 100% how I feel Agent Earle. And I imagine most of us are the same. Which is why it's so ridiculous when we keep getting told, 'Go watch Ironman 3!'

I'm so glad you agree about The Shawshank Redemption. I immediately dismiss any meaningful friendship with anybody who rates this as the greatest movie ever made (many seem to). If they say Lord of The Rings I spit at them in disgust. I'm pretty elitist too when it comes to art but, goddamn, I can't find anything to love or even like in The Return.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

douglasb wrote:What's the 'official' response been like John 'WIP' Thorne seems positive. What about Brad Dukes (who didn't like FWWM)?
You can listen to his podcasts, the Brad Dukes Show. He has generally liked most of the show, but initially did not like Part 8, though he seems to be re-evaluating that part in the wake of Part 14, which gave it more context.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
depechehenke

Post by depechehenke »

mlsstwrt wrote:That's 100% how I feel Agent Earle. And I imagine most of us are the same. Which is why it's so ridiculous when we keep getting told, 'Go watch Ironman 3!'

I'm so glad you agree about The Shawshank Redemption. I immediately dismiss any meaningful friendship with anybody who rates this as the greatest movie ever made (many seem to). If they say Lord of The Rings I spit at them in disgust. I'm pretty elitist too when it comes to art but, goddamn, I can't find anything to love or even like in The Return.
I for one am very fond of Peter Jackson's adaptation of Lord of the Rings. Very unneccessary to sow dissent among the disappointed support group! This is exactly what they want, to divide us!!!
If this hobbit-bashing continues I might have to form another thread. "Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (who still love LoTR and enjoy Shawshank Redemption. Sometimes a film
that plays on your emotions is exactly what you are in the mood for. Maybe not the best film ever made but extremely well made and enjoyable)."
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

depechehenke wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:That's 100% how I feel Agent Earle. And I imagine most of us are the same. Which is why it's so ridiculous when we keep getting told, 'Go watch Ironman 3!'

I for one am very fond of Peter Jackson's adaptation of Lord of the Rings. Very unneccessary to sow dissent among the disappointed support group! This is exactly what they want, to divide us!!!
If this hobbit-bashing continues I might have to form another thread. "Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (who still love LoTR and enjoy Shawshank Redemption. Sometimes a film
that plays on your emotions is exactly what you are in the mood for. Maybe not the best film ever made but extremely well made and enjoyable)."
Ha ha, I quite enjoyed both too, I'm only aggrieved with those who INSIST they are the best movies ever made (and I singled out those two movies because I've heard them named as the best movie ever more than any other movies). Anyway, I apologise!
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

It's great LotR has already been filmed, Peter Jackson may have been otherwise tempted to play the role of Saruman and get the ring for himself. Then he'd quickly banish Frodo to inside of a palantir. What a joke this Return is.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Agent Earle wrote:Throughout my life as a viewer, I've always - and I do mean always, from as far back as I can remember - gravitated towards weird, quirky, controversial, unsettling, difficult, frightening and just generally offbeat cinema - and while I get all of that from the original run (and FWWM) and The Return sounds on paper like the ideal candidate for it, the engagement, enjoyment and intrigue for me just aren't there. Weird, but that's how it is.
I feel like this show could have been what you describe, and many parts have pointed towards it being that (Part 8 in particular), but at this point in the run, something just isn't working, although it could still. I think I was just impatient after Part 15 didn't advance the Evil Cooper situation much. Thinking back on the show so far, it's gone to a number of amazingly fun and quirky places, and without a doubt it's different than anything on TV in years, but like you say, the engagement just isn't present much of the time. Is that intentional, possibly? Perhaps Lynch is making what some have called an anti-narrative. Maybe we as an audience expect things to conform too much to typical structures, and that's what pleases us in the brain, when just having "stuff on screen" -- random bits of everyday happenings -- isn't necessarily any worse or less valid. At this point in his career, it's possible that Lynch is happy just putting absurd "stuff on screen" that engages him, gives him a rise. Of course people have complained about why he's connecting this to "TP", and I originally felt this way, but don't too much any longer. Still, we do have a story afoot, and like I said, I'm concerned because of the time issue.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Apparently it's number 4 so they'd be wrong anyway! : http://www.empireonline.com/movies/feat ... st-movies/

Oh my, LOTR just switches my head off . Very glad you didn't bring Star Wars into this though :)
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Pretty good article from the NY Times that can help explain how Twin Peaks: The Return can be considered extremely high quality, bold filmmaking while being very difficult for some to digest:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/arts ... ml?mcubz=1
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

mtwentz wrote:Pretty good article from the NY Times that can help explain how Twin Peaks: The Return can be considered extremely high quality, bold filmmaking while being very difficult for some to digest:

Thanks for posting that in this thread. Read it, now done a complete 180 and believe The Return is the best thing ever! Good work mtwentz.
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

I've been catching up on the posts I've missed on this thread, and there's one point discussed that's been irking me, about how Lynch isn't pandering to the audience in TPTR. I have to disagree. Lynch may not be pandering to the general public, but, IMHO, he is pandering to critics, hipsters, and a load of other "high brow" journalists and publications. And that's a very sad state of affairs, I think, because what I used to like the most about him was how wild, innovative, and true to his vision he was. Not anymore.

Sent from my Lenovo A2020a40 using Tapatalk
"That's what I need, a clean place, reasonably priced."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

mlsstwrt wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Pretty good article from the NY Times that can help explain how Twin Peaks: The Return can be considered extremely high quality, bold filmmaking while being very difficult for some to digest:

Thanks for posting that in this thread. Read it, now done a complete 180 and believe The Return is the best thing ever! Good work mtwentz.
I thought you could benefit from an objective point of view...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly