Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

nimeoa
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by nimeoa »

I do find it odd that a lot of people who found the third season disappointing seemed to enjoy the last couple episodes. To me it was trash, through and through. The last episode was just an extra kick to the teeth and a "Haha, you thought these past 17 hours might have meant something? How stupid and naive of you!"

I hope this garbage is quickly forgotten and swept under the rug, so when talking about Twin Peaks in the future I can not even acknowledge it.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

nimeoa wrote:I do find it odd that a lot of people who found the third season disappointing seemed to enjoy the last couple episodes. To me it was trash, through and through. The last episode was just an extra kick to the teeth and a "Haha, you thought these past 17 hours might have meant something? How stupid and naive of you!"

I hope this garbage is quickly forgotten and swept under the rug, so when talking about Twin Peaks in the future I can not even acknowledge it.
I hated the last couple of episodes but found them a little captivating at times. It's purely because they featured 'real' Dale and a version of Laura, so they were going to be captivating almost no matter what. They're the only episodes that didn't bore me senseless but I still found them terrible and despise the retconning of the story.

The whole TP universe now is OVERLY complex. The balance was perfect before. Complex enough to be intriguing but not so complex as to be completely meaningless and devoid of the beauty it had.

I won't be thinking much about this garbage at all. Sadly, it's unavoidable for me that it means I won't be thinking as much about TP as a whole. It's not something I have conscious control over, I wouldn't choose this. Already feeling nostalgic for the nostalgia I had about TP!
SubV

Post by SubV »

Gabriel wrote:Twin Peaks was a TV/film obsession that lurked in my life from my teens through to the beginning of middle age. TPTR has removed that tie for me. I still like the proper show and movie, but I no longer care about it that much. Now it's just another old show I liked and I've accepted there have been continuations/follow-ups I choose to ignore.

[...]

... the only sadness is that David Lynch no longer commands my respect. That's been the toughest pill to swallow.
Exactly my thoughts, Gabriel. Thank you.
Exar Kun

Post by Exar Kun »

Twin Peaks has a great mythos and mystery and is very open to sub stories, and characters. The beautiful contrast was magical... And while having central characters, it could've branched into many things while still tying to the central theme and story. And we would all be very pleased with that. There was absolutely no need for the Laura story to unfold again... It was already finished. She had her deserved "good" ending. Angels were with her, Cooper was standing next to her, and she was crying with joy. As implied, her soul was at rest. It felt perfect in FWWM. She could've had many scenes as she is a central part of Twin Peaks... That would've been perfectly fine. But not only she didn't have many scenes, her character arc was changed (I assume changed recently...) the other central character, Cooper, somehow forgets that her soul was finally at rest, he goes on to change it... what?

About Coop.. Becomes Dougie, which was a perfect idea, but only for 3, MAX 4 episodes.... not 15! damn it. Then when he returns, spends 10 minutes on screen, then goes into a parallel dimension to get screwed over....

Yeah.... spend 25 years in the black lodge, get into a coma trying to get out of the lodge, wake up from the coma, only to go out and try to save who was already saved before, then go into a parallel dimension which was worse than the lodge itself and destroy your life......... WOW!

Lynch said several times that movie is like music, and could've understood with intuition. By feelings, and experience. Now, Lynch not only contradicts with the feeling of the series, he contradicts the ending he wrote in FWWM. The work he got complete control over... When I look back at S3, several scenes are really good, but most of them totally focused on sadness, loss, misery, and death. It is too bleak and depressive next to what Twin Peaks was. In previous seasons there was humor, there was sadness, there was mystery, darkness, and music. No matter what happened, you could feel release when you were watching. Everything was open, and breathing. This is very important. Even in FWWM, it was all there, only darker and heavier. But now the ending feels like a vast, infinite void.

I love the design of the purple world, the furnace room scene with Naido, the convenience store, the hallways in the picture, stairs and the motel, the Giant's fortress. From color to furnitures to ambience they were all perfect. In all of them I felt like I was there. I love the night driving scenes. There is a certain comfort combined with a mystery to them, and he pictures it perfectly.

I love the opening scene that fits perfectly with the music. When it begins I'm in that world.

The best thing this season, is Kyle Maclachlan's tremendous acting. 10/10.
Exar Kun

Post by Exar Kun »

mlsstwrt wrote:Already feeling nostalgic for the nostalgia I had about TP!
Exactly... If this is intentional which is highly possible, it's just too bad. All the hope at the Twin Peaks universe is gone now. Think about it. Pretend you have a work which has become a saga. And after all these years you decide to make an ending to it. Would you wrap it all up in the most hopeless situation for the universe and the characters you created and love?

You hear Lynch about all his meditation and consciousness and positivity. Now whatever a person does and feel, completely shows in their art. And this is not a work of a relaxed, positive person after all. When you look now it's all sadness and misery.

The only thing good happened this season is Norma and Ed reuniting. That scene was amazing. That's all. There could've easily been other positive things, whether they were ordinary or not, but there weren't.
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

i think i've pretty much laid my love of twin peaks to rest. a few weeks ago i had an obtuse thought that lynch created TR as a deliberate dopplegangeresque counterpart to the first season, but i'm coming to terms that thats wrong. so when "The Final Dossier" comes out, I wouldn't be the least surprised if every page had this lone simple sentence in the middle of the page:"Why are you still here?"Image
Attachments
l.JPG
l.JPG (32.87 KiB) Viewed 10930 times
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

rugerblackhawk357 wrote:i think i've pretty much laid my love of twin peaks to rest. a few weeks ago i had an obtuse thought that lynch created TR as a deliberate dopplegangeresque counterpart to the first season, but i'm coming to terms that thats wrong. so when "The Final Dossier" comes out, I wouldn't be the least surprised if every page had this lone simple sentence in the middle of the page:"Why are you still here?"Image
Or would Mark Frost be lynched if he did a book tour :wink: Have you heard if he is touring it?

Will the Final Dossier fit in with what we have seen or will it be an almost standalone work of fiction that doesn't tie with anything? Or will it just state that Dale Cooper re-emerged from The Lodge and immediately disappeared again. The End.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

Someone asked why people who were for the most part disappointed with season 3 would like the last 2 episodes. I can only speak for myself. I don't particularly care for the last couple of eps and how they turned out, but I will say that as I began watching them, something stirred inside me. For a split second, an excitement. There was a familiarity to those last 2 eps that I didn't experience with the previous episodes. Well, I did *sort of* feel some familiarity during the previous eps red room scenes but thats it.

And before some "trolls" go on the attack as I'm sure they will, I had very little expectation for season 3 other than some continuation and familiarity to the original. I got neither. I could have let that go had the show been good overall, but it wasn't. This season just made no sense to me at all. It was disjointed in every aspect. I was left feeling empty. Even if I wasn't a fan of the original, I would have been left feeling blah.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Venus wrote:Do any of the disappointed left in this thread feel that it's all done and gone now, all over? Literally it is but for me the first two series stood in high stead in my mind for 25 years and only grew in stature over the years. We're a few weeks after the last episode aired and it's already a footnote in my mind.
At the moment you can count me in. I have just posted in yaxo's thread about his 18-hour-run that I do think it's quite possible I will come back to it and might get captivated again. But at the moment I don't care about The Return at all and I stopped thinking about it altogether.

Actually it's funny, I believe it was THIS thread that was the most exciting part of the experience and right after the last episode I thought to myself that well, I didn't like all of it but clearly I was excited so it's not going to fade... and yet I decided to stop visiting the board for a while because it took too much time that I lacked and very quickly The Return evaporated from my mind. And now that I've decided to come and post a few things I'm starting to feel I could even watch something again ;)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Yeah it's been a month now and I've basically forgot about The Return. Aside from a few striking images, I rarely revisit it in my thoughts. The original series haunted me. I'm sad to say that I think it was a fascinating failure. I still think Lynch has talent but there just wasn't a strong core holding any of this often interesting stuff together.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I cancelled my preorder of The Final Dossier today. No longer interested...
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

Been reading the previous pages about how TP has now faded from a lot of peoples minds.

Well, I'm not one of them. I can't get it out of my head. I want to, since the disappointment rings its ugly head every time, but I just can't. I keep revisiting scenes and characters, the thoughts just pop into my head. So, whatever psychology it was that Lynch and Frost used to make me into a hostage has worked.

I still carry my fond memories of the real TP as well, so this is a confusing state to be in.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Gabriel wrote:I cancelled my preorder of The Final Dossier today. No longer interested...
Why so fast, Gabriel? Don't you know we might finally get to know what happened to Annie! If Frost felt like it, that is.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Agent Earle wrote: Why so fast, Gabriel? Don't you know we might finally get to know what happened to Annie! If Frost felt like it, that is.
I'll wait on the reviews and see if it's worth my while...

It feels like Mark Frost was working off a different version of the script from what was put on screen anyway...
KnewItsPa
Roadhouse Member

Post by KnewItsPa »

I think the final 2 episodes worked on a level. On one level, it moved along at a pace, there was a story being told, not just mood-setting people sweeping the floors in the roadhouse. On another level, there was a sense of relief that it was finally going to be over.
"Crack the code, solve the crime."