Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
SpookyDollhouse
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby SpookyDollhouse » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:17 am

Aqwell wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:I feed on your selfish contempt. Keep serving it up!
You're right about contempt, but selfish? I don't get it. My english is too limited to be able to really debate, and everything has already been said in far better way about The Return's (huge) flaws. So yeah, I'm just ranting, reacting and repeating myself. Sorry for that. I should just read you guys and keep my grouchiness for myself. :|


"The show should be done my way or the highway, which is the only good way" is pretty selfish to me but that's just my opinion. I mean you have your own, and your right to say it, but I'm free to disagree! If you wanna be publicly grouchy it's not a big deal, I'm not sayin don't say anything.
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby yaxomoxay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 am

AgentEcho wrote:I think "disappointed" is officially the wrong term for this thread. If it was just that this thread would have died not long after the series aired. Vitriol is a more apt word. Vitriol is harder to let go of. When I've been disappointed by something I usually let it go and forget about it within a week or so. This thread is still going strong and the vitriol of those who didn't get what they were expecting hasn't abated one bit. That says something. It's the same effect seen with the reaction to Darren Aronofsky's "Mother", and in fact, many of the most notable films ever made... many of which have elicited divisive responses, and this thread makes a compelling case that Twin Peaks belongs in that category.


The Profoundly Vitriolic Support Group would not be as catchy :)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
Aqwell
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:03 am
Location: France

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Aqwell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:50 pm

SpookyDollhouse wrote:"The show should be done my way or the highway, which is the only good way" is pretty selfish to me but that's just my opinion.
To be precise, I never said the show should be like this or that, I said it should have never done things like (see the list)...

SpookyDollhouse wrote:If you wanna be publicly grouchy it's not a big deal, I'm not sayin don't say anything.
I know, I just genuinely think I grumbled enough about a TV show, even if it was the long awaited Twin Peaks revival. I'm tired to be mad at it.
What pisses me off though, is that I lost my scarf in the train this morning... fuck! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Venus
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:10 pm
Location: England

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Venus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 pm

yaxomoxay wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:I think "disappointed" is officially the wrong term for this thread. If it was just that this thread would have died not long after the series aired. Vitriol is a more apt word. Vitriol is harder to let go of. When I've been disappointed by something I usually let it go and forget about it within a week or so. This thread is still going strong and the vitriol of those who didn't get what they were expecting hasn't abated one bit. That says something. It's the same effect seen with the reaction to Darren Aronofsky's "Mother", and in fact, many of the most notable films ever made... many of which have elicited divisive responses, and this thread makes a compelling case that Twin Peaks belongs in that category.


The Profoundly Vitriolic Support Group would not be as catchy :)

Oh I don't know, it's got a certain ring to it :lol:

I wouldn't say I'm vitriolic. What I wanted wasn't something specific re plot line or some specific image in my head that I didn't receive. That's a very sweeping statement from you Agent Echo. All I wanted was good tv and in my opinion, I didn't get it. What I feel upset with is the fact that it has kind of ruined the original series for me but I hope that will fade over time.

That said though, as I've said before, I was very intrigued by the last two episodes and would have liked to have seen where they went. But they arrived right at the end and went nowhere because the series ended. So that in itself is annoying for me and sad really as I had finally started to engage with it a little. I think people who still feel disappointed with the series have the right to feel that way as many of us have loved and adored the world of Twin Peaks for years on end. When that world that you have loved for so long gets shattered into pieces you don't just get over it over night. Everyone has a right to their own feelings and others shouldn't try to dictate how someone should be feeling.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
User avatar
Gabriel
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Gabriel » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:28 pm

mtwentz wrote:Whether I ended up loving it, hating it, or feeling indifferent, I'd much rather see an artists unfiltered vision than see a film made by a committee of advisors.


Then again, many of the greatest movies came out of the old studio system...
Poiuyt
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:26 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Poiuyt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:30 pm

For most of us who have sat with the LES for more than a month now, I'd imagine it has to take more effort to come here and complain and be angry than to try to accept the show for what it is and engage with it. Personally, I really hated some moments, especially the finale, but a good chunk of the ride I found enjoyable, so I'm trying to just stay away from what I didn't like for now, at least until I re-watch the series on DVD and I can reexamine it as the 18-hour film it really is.

Not gonna lie though, as satisfying of an outlet as this thread has been, now that I don't feel the urge to use it, it's kinda depressing to see it always bumped to the top. Selfish, yeah, but it is what it is.
douglasb
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: Exiled in England
Contact:

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby douglasb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:01 pm

User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby yaxomoxay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Venus wrote:What I feel upset with is the fact that it has kind of ruined the original series for me but I hope that will fade over time.


I truly hope that you will go back enjoying the originals. Although as you know I loved the return, the last thing I want for anyone is to have the originals ruined.
Just think of it of a mistake that doesn’t exist, like Rock V ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Audrey Horne
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The Great Northern

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Audrey Horne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:48 pm

Yeah, I dislike about half of the second season and it never ruined the first half for me... just left me, er, disappointed. What leaves me more disillusioned is my dislike for parts of the second season was always chalked up to the rigors of television making under a grueling schedule, and just shocked that when Lynch and Frost had nothing but time to plot and map out The Return this is the end result. It’s not only the lack of cohesion, suspense and writing... it’s that their view is so far from what I valued and loved and thought was the heart of Peaks. Peaks was dark, twisted, suspenseful... but for me always had the element that love and goodness prevails... but their viewpoint is (to me) mean spirited, bleak, and a little misogynistic. Especially since Part 18 is their ending to the story they felt compelled to tell.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Agent Earle
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Agent Earle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 am

Poiuyt wrote:Not gonna lie though, as satisfying of an outlet as this thread has been, now that I don't feel the urge to use it, it's kinda depressing to see it always bumped to the top. Selfish, yeah, but it is what it is.


LOL. There's nothing like a troll dropping in from time to time to keep the fire going :D
User avatar
Iron_Dwarf
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:47 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Iron_Dwarf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 am

Since two months I've started working on a TV series of my own and in the meantime my examples of what I want it to be have moved away from Twin Peaks into Riget and even Riverdale. Sadly I feel like the original run has been tarnished for me by The Return, I seem to have lost interest. And in hindsight it feels like revealing Leland as the killer was the beginning of the end.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby mtwentz » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:18 am

Gabriel wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Whether I ended up loving it, hating it, or feeling indifferent, I'd much rather see an artists unfiltered vision than see a film made by a committee of advisors.


Then again, many of the greatest movies came out of the old studio system...


Ok Gabriel got me on this one. Isn't anyone going to rush to my defense :-)?
User avatar
Audrey Horne
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The Great Northern

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Audrey Horne » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 am

really though - there was something really great about the constraints in Hollywood film making that made it more exciting. I mean not obviously across the board... but to watch the ingenuity of some of the sly geniuses working around that to deliver the goods. (Lubitsch, Sturges, Wilder, Hitchcock, Sirk)
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
User avatar
Taperecorder
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Taperecorder » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Audrey Horne wrote:Peaks was dark, twisted, suspenseful... but for me always had the element that love and goodness prevails... but their viewpoint is (to me) mean spirited, bleak, and a little misogynistic.


^^^
Yes. I've tried sitting down here to write about how I feel about season 3 at least a dozen times now. I've over thought it, been angry about it, and I keep giving up. But this, what you wrote, is yeah... exactly what you wrote.
-
As above, so below.
-
User avatar
SpookyDollhouse
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby SpookyDollhouse » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 pm

Audrey Horne wrote:and a little misogynistic.


oh dear

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mammajamma, TimG and 16 guests