Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

Well, being Scottish, Lynch could come up to us with a bag of cash and we'd probably complain about the colour of the bag.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

douglasb wrote:Well, being Scottish, Lynch could come up to us with a bag of cash and we'd probably complain about the colour of the bag.
Ahahhaah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Can't a guy not even say he doesn't see Mark Frost in the new season without being smothered by holier-than-thou attitude from "the other side"? Yeah, that's really grounded and mature discussion, sure.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

When Mark Frost is actively refuting your argument, maybe you can drop the conspiracy theory. That's all I'm saying.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Where do you see me hinting towards a conspiracy? All I said was that I suspect Lynch is the one responsible for the doubling of the run-time and that I have a hard time noticing Frost's signature on this movie (it's not a series, at least that much is clear by now).
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

watched the series since i was a kid. watched and obsessed over fwwm. collected and read every issue of wrapped in plastic. have seen the four new episodes at least three times. my opinion, and just MY opinion. i can't watch the new show as a continuation of twin peaks. i can watch it as a new lynch project using twin peaks as scaffolding. it's interesting because it's lynch and i fully expected to get lynched. my main gripes so far:
-cgi, really think they could have been done better.
-wally brando, why? and why is there such an obviously photoshopped family portrait with him on lucy's desk?
-tamara's walk. i for the life of me have never seen a woman walk like this.
-showing a hip new band at the end of every episode. like someone said before, it's like the peach pit in 90210. really ruins the suspension of disbelief.
-product placement. was this showtime's call?
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Hockey Mask wrote: Keep in mind, ar least 96/100 scientists would declare the earth round. You're example incorrectly groups the majority in order to put yourself in the correct minority.
Whooooooooosh! That one went right over your head! Read it again and think about it! ;)
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

I think most people never really understood mark frosts contributions to begin with to even say whether they see his "mark" in the new show and just automatically attribute anything weird to lynch

it's funny though before the new show it was lynch this, lynch that. now a small group of people are like "it was frost I loved all along!! this show is too weird now!"

I'm curious what the average age is of everyone who doesn't like the roadhouse endings lol
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

N. Needleman wrote:An I offended by some of the personal attacks I've seen re: Lynch in here? Yeah. I kept my mouth shut until we got to him being an aging, demented pensioner or cynical robber baron who had shrugged off Mark Frost.

I see a lot more vitriol here than I've seen on the other side. But that's me. I just don't think it helps to get a valid point across.
Trust me, speaking as someone who likes the show as bizarre fantasy show from David Lynch, I don't feel any contempt from him or any evidence of senility. That said, a 71-year-old artist will have a very different approach from a 45-year-old artist and craftsman. Lynch isn't so much a filmmaker now as an experimental multi-media artist. When you look at his films up to and including The Straight Story (one of his finest films and one of the finest films, period) we see an absolute master craftsman at work as well as an artist. I mean that in the sense that there's a definite craft to cinema, which is then elevated by the true artists. Mulholland Dr, a fix-up movie from a failed TV pilot, saw a definite push towards becoming a pure artist and Inland Empire saw Lynch eschew the craft of filmmaking to making pure experimental art. That experimental artist is the man making the new Twin Peaks, not the craftsman who so delicately balanced artistic experimentation with the craft of filmmaking.

In a sense, the new Twin Peaks is a more 'user-friendly' iteration of the same type of experimentation he used in Inland Empire. I'm not going to pretend the new Twin Peaks is a 'better' series than the old, because it's clearly an experimental TV show this time that is eschewing all convention. It's also acting like a spine or summation of much of his past work, meaning what many of us consider to be Twin Peaks is a small part of something bigger here. Like I say, it's a kind of 'Lynchworld' series, featuring Twin Peaks, and on that level I enjoy it very much. I love the bizarre and strange and quirky and had there not been any of Twin Peaks in this show and it was purely abstract stuff, I still would have watched it and enjoyed every second.

So, the David Lynch fan in me is broadly enjoying what he sees, while the Twin Peaks fan is very disappointed. So I'm conflicted. I haven't seen that much vicious rhetoric here and, indeed, Dugpa has been good at not allowing any really spiteful behaviour. As this is basically the only forum on which I post (I'm too old to waste my time on social media, I've never looked at this 'reddit' thing that people bang on about – it sounds awful – I haven't posted on Facebook in years and Twitter seems like a giant virtue-signalling echo chamber) I come here because it's basically fun and attracts a more intelligent standard of debate. If people really think I'm a terrible person for not embracing something unquestionably, then let them. I've always said I'm not a fan of Mulholland Dr and Inland Empire and that I think David Lynch has misfired plenty of times, but that doesn't mean I won't always admire his work. I chose to work in the media after watching Twin Peaks and his other films. It opened my eyes to the possibilities of what can be done, narratively and visually. Indeed, because of David Lynch's films, I find most films extremely predictable and have the ability to make jumps of logic and figure out most 'twists' long before they turn up.

I won't criticise the new show on the level that it's 'bad,' as such. There's always some sort of lunatic scheme at work in David Lynch's films and TV shows, but I simply find myself enjoying an experimental show as a Lynch artistic experiment, but not as a Twin Peaks continuation, which needed the return of David Lynch, the craftsman, whom I don't think we've really seen since The Straight Story.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Driftwood wrote:I think most people never really understood mark frosts contributions to begin with to even say whether they see his "mark" in the new show and just automatically attribute anything weird to lynch

it's funny though before the new show it was lynch this, lynch that. now a small group of people are like "it was frost I loved all along!! this show is too weird now!"
I long felt that Frost and Lynch together would write a script, but once Lynch got on set the would work the material as he chose. If you were to cut back the visual surrealism and focus solely on the script, it's not nearly as outlandish as the presentation of that script. A script can't describe (in a strict sense) how the director should ultimately tell his actors to play their roles, how long to stretch out a scene, whether a scene should be greenscreen or shot on a dressed set.
I'm curious what the average age is of everyone who doesn't like the roadhouse endings lol
That's just being rude.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

N. Needleman wrote:I see a lot more vitriol here than I've seen on the other side.
You really do? I'm happy to say that I don't. I mean - on any of the sides. Of course on both sides it's there but it's never dominant on THIS board. Yeah, I know what you mean if you're saying about "calling the rest of us either clueless dupes or pretentious blowhards" but honestly, this is NOT the tone which is dominant in here.

I, for one, am very happy, that people like you (or others before) come to this thread and while it is a thread created for "the disappointed" and meant to be "safe" for them, you can come here and we can come into debate with you. Look at Gabriel's posts above, is it indeed vitriol or is it the high standard of debate? I'd say that the post above is more representative of this thread in general than... some other posts (probably ones that you found offensive).

p.s.
Gabriel wrote:Lynch isn't so much a filmmaker now as an experimental multi-media artist. (...) That experimental artist is the man making the new Twin Peaks, not the craftsman who so delicately balanced artistic experimentation with the craft of filmmaking.
I like this definition of the 21st century Lynch very much.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Gabriel wrote:
Driftwood wrote:I think most people never really understood mark frosts contributions to begin with to even say whether they see his "mark" in the new show and just automatically attribute anything weird to lynch

I long felt that Frost and Lynch together would write a script, but once Lynch got on set the would work the material as he chose. If you were to cut back the visual surrealism and focus solely on the script, it's not nearly as outlandish as the presentation of that script. A script can't describe (in a strict sense) how the director should ultimately tell his actors to play their roles, how long to stretch out a scene, whether a scene should be greenscreen or shot on a dressed set.
That's just being rude.
Not to mention confusing. What is your point about the average age of people who don't like the roadhouse endings? I'm not following.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Probably because you are too old. or too young... Depending on what the age-comment meant, which I'm not following either ;-)

Anyway I:
- am 41
- never heard about any Chromatics before
- liked the ending of Part 2

;-)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

BOB1 wrote:Probably because you are too old. or too young... Depending on what the age-comment meant, which I'm not following either ;-)

Anyway I:
- am 41

;-)
Ha ha. I am:

- have been listening to the Chromatics for over a decade
- didn't like the ending of Part 2
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

mlsstwrt wrote:
BOB1 wrote:Probably because you are too old. or too young... Depending on what the age-comment meant, which I'm not following either ;-)

Anyway I:
- am 41

;-)
Ha ha. I am:

- have been listening to the Chromatics for over a decade
- didn't like the ending of Part 2
- had heard of the Chromatics but didn't know their music or appearance
- liked the ending of Part 2. thought she was suitable stand-in/update for Julie Cruise