Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

mlsstwrt wrote:Thanks for the post Jasper, I don't think the comments were directed at you. You've obviously gone out of your way to try to get a fair view of the situation. Interesting poll.
Thank you kindly. The poll is about creating a record of the entire spectrum of reactions on dugpa, and every response is equally valid and relevant to the project.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Jasper wrote:
Venus wrote:
Venus wrote:Don't forget to cast your forum vote on Jaspers new temperature poll on this board here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3695 !
Oh dear. Looks like those of us who are not enjoying the show have now been labelled as 'haters' and are now being made fun of in the poll thread above. I'm now disappointed in them. I would have hoped there was a higher level of intellectual maturity here but it would appear that from some, there is not. There is only one thing I reserve the word hate for in this world as it is such a very strong word with very strong meaning. I don't 'hate' TP3, I'm just massively disappointed in it so it's offensive that others say I am a 'hater' of TP3 because I am not. Thank you to those who are enjoying the show who post in this thread with some decency and respect. It is appreciated.
Dear Venus, thank you for directing people to the poll. I am appearing in this thread because I thought that it must have been mentioned here. A poster in the poll thread used the term "Haters", which I took to be in jest. I can't speak for the poster in question, but I think that the true point of the post was to ask what had happened to those who'd voted in previous polls expressing negative feelings about The Return. I'd wondered this myself. When a number of new votes appeared, all indicating unhappiness with the show, I thanked the so-called "haters" in the silliest way I could, by writing "h8rz" with a big smiley face, which I'd hoped would indicate beyond a shadow of a doubt that this was written in the spirit of fun. The thanks was completely sincere. Every vote takes us closer to my goal of a representative sample. I was pleased that the negative votes were added, because I knew from earlier polls that this poll had been a bit off.

Despite the fact that "hate" is indeed part of one of the possible choices in the poll (Dislike or Hate), I think that it's a mistake to interpret the use of "haters" and especially "h8rz" in that thread as anything other than lighthearted banter. In my case I can guarantee that "h8rz" was used in a spirit of playfulness and camaraderie, and was meant to look ridiculous.
Whilst I can see mlsstwrt's point about you being fair I can also see you used the term h8rz which seemed to encourage others to become more unpleasant, whatever context you used it in. As it was your thread, by repeating the term you almost condoned it. I just don't think there is any place or justification for anyone to use such terms about others on this board, whether in jest or in a nasty way. If you had been one of the disappointed crew and took some of the awfulness we have had to since this thread started, then you wouldn't necessarily say that what happened in your poll thread was lighthearted banter. Of course this is just my opinion, so I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Haven't done a rewatch of the early episodes for a while now, so last night's insomnia was the perfect occasion. Being pretty much satisfied from ep.7 onwards, I thought that I might be a bit more positive to the opening six hours.

No. This is going to take some time. I'm alright with 1 & 2 as an introduction to the new series, and the opening of ep.3 is one of my all-time favourites, but almost as soon as Cooper lands on the floor in Vegas, I'm entering a world I do not recognize or enjoy (which could be Lynch's point, I guess). Admittedly, there are great scenes in each of the following episodes, especially in episode 4, but all in all it's a chore to get through them, with 5 and 6 being the uglier cousins of Evelyn Marsh. I'll have another go as soon as the season ends. Maybe the DougieCoop arc will seem totally obvious, natural and profound in hindsight.
kleio

Post by kleio »

The Gazebo wrote:Haven't done a rewatch of the early episodes for a while now, so last night's insomnia was the perfect occasion. Being pretty much satisfied from ep.7 onwards, I thought that I might be a bit more positive to the opening six hours.

No. This is going to take some time. I'm alright with 1 & 2 as an introduction to the new series, and the opening of ep.3 is one of my all-time favourites, but almost as soon as Cooper lands on the floor in Vegas, I'm entering a world I do not recognize or enjoy (which could be Lynch's point, I guess). Admittedly, there are great scenes in each of the following episodes, especially in episode 4, but all in all it's a chore to get through them, with 5 and 6 being the uglier cousins of Evelyn Marsh. I'll have another go as soon as the season ends. Maybe the DougieCoop arc will seem totally obvious, natural and profound in hindsight.
Chore is a good word for this experience. I’ve been thinking about my first viewing of the original and contrasting it with this one. What a difference and not in a good way. I was in 3rd year university when it came on. I remember the anticipation for each new episode and the fun of discussing it with people on the Monday. I don’t remember having to work this hard to find something to enjoy. There were obviously things about it that I didn’t like, but I wasn’t so consistently disengaged from the material.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Life happens a bit though, doesn't it? I'm creeping towards 50. The only thing I look forward to these days is going to bed. To sleep. First time around I was devouring the show. Reading everything I could find. Now I just can't be bothered in the same way. Are there other aspects of your life that you feel *exactly* the same about? When I go to see bands play now, I don't feel like I did when I was 17. And so maybe it would be odd if your response to TP was the same in 2017 as it was in 1990.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I'm ever so slightly younger, I was in sixth-form college (16-18 in the UK) rather than university when TP first aired. I used to watch it with my girlfriend on her tiny bedroom TV, and we would give one another blank stares at scene after scene and she would fawn over Dana's hair, and try to make mine look the same. We talked endlessly at college in the refectory, bounced ideas off everyone we could find who watched the show. Friends would bring magazines in and share the articles. Two years later at university the big thing was, strangely enough, Wild Palms -- in which I enjoyed Jim Belushi, David Warner and Brad Dourif's performances. I always felt it was a pale imitation though, something like a Bladerunner/Twin Peaks crossover knock-off. Nothing since Fire Walk With Me has stirred me like that movie.

So I'm now 42, and aware that there are very few films or TV shows that can hold my attention and get me enthusiastically reading around compared with when I was a late teen / early tween. In contrast, though, to experiences reported in the last few posts, TP the Return has got me hooked and devouring information. I feel the hunger again. Maybe this stimulus-response is odd for my age group, but I like it.
Last edited by Novalis on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Generally about the last few posts: I'm not sure if the passage of time erodes every bit of youthful bliss. Whatever artful interests or hobbies you manage to cultivate is probably capable of providing great experiences. For some, the frustration is probably akin to going to those great parties you've always loved, but the music and vibe of the place has suddenly changed. And while your friends still rave about the place, saying it's better than ever, you just can't get into the groove, no matter how hard you try.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Rialto wrote:Why didn't they just intercut a silent movie style title card: "Well, we can all see where Becky's terrible decision making around men comes from, can't we!" It would have been more subtle.
This would have actually been very cool!
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Jonah wrote: I think we're doing good in the number of the cast Lynch managed to get back - and the way he's utilizing those who have passed on (such as the Log Lady) but I still think the old cast is being criminally underused. I just think it's a shame to get them back and not to use them more. Peggy Lipton is a good example.
How could they have used Peggy Lipton in a better way, if she's such a good example of what you're arguing? She is a WAITRESS!!! And the story is about Cooper's return to the real world (and ALSO a bit about mobsters, etc.). She doesn't fit into that.

I like that Norma is still working in the RR diner rather than a completely new character. Don't you? People who feel alienated wachting the Return, should welcome the fact that there are still familiar faces in town. And I'm pretty sure we''ll get a little bit more info as well about her (love)life in the following weeks. We will know is she's single or with Ed, etc. (Just be a little patient)

Of course, Lynch and Frosts could have used her even more! She could be Candy's mother..... Or a Lodge spirit! Maybe even the "mother"/experiment/frog-insect/girl from 1956/ drugsdealer / host for Laura's soul!

Even, in season 1 and 2 she didn't have a real story. Can't you see how silly and contrived it would be to come up with an interesting story (that makes sense and does not insult viewers intelligence) that not only puts Dale and Laura in the spotlights, but also Nadine, Norma, Ed, Audrey, Dr. Jacoby, etc?
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

The Gazebo wrote:Just rewatched a bit of the old show, and suffered a sudden tinge of pessimism about the run-in of season 3. I'm enjoying The Return for the time being, but my glass is perennially half-empty, so I thought I'd share:

In the original show, we had two main antagonists, depending on your definition: Bob and Windom Earle (plus a fine selection of local criminals and shady dudes). Both felt like real threats to the lives of our favourite characters. This season, we have the local crooks, but who are the main antagonists?

EvilCoop? Too manufactured.
Jeffries (possibly)? Too peripheral.
The woodsmen? Yeah, spooky - but so far more like creepy bed bugs.
Mother/experiment? Give me a break.
I agree that Windom Earle was more of a threat. Especially when he started wearing a fake moustache and we didn't see him coming. That was so creepy.
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

The Gazebo wrote: For some, the frustration is probably akin to going to those great parties you've always loved, but the music and vibe of the place has suddenly changed. And while your friends still rave about the place, saying it's better than ever, you just can't get into the groove, no matter how hard you try.
I see what you're saying, but let's not forget that it's now a party with almost no music, not a lot of familiar faces and the only snack they're serving is Kellog's Raisin Bran. Add also that the host himself is now considerably older as well and in my opinion it's a legitimate question to wonder if it's just you or if these parties aren't as good anymore as they used to be.
Rhodes wrote:Can't you see how silly and contrived it would be to come up with an interesting story (that makes sense and does not insult viewers intelligence) that not only puts Dale and Laura in the spotlights, but also Nadine, Norma, Ed, Audrey, Dr. Jacoby, etc?
Yes, obviously the story arc we're presented with in 'The Return' makes a lot more sense! Imagine coming up with interesting stories for Nadine, Norma, Ed, Audrey living their lives getting older haha that would've just been boring and insulted our intelligence, you're so right. While what we're getting instead is a beautiful humane reflection on the passage of time, with the Las Vegas mobsters, the glass box n stuff. Agree 110%!!!
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

You don't think it is extremely contrived that the same group of people (a gas station owner, a waitress, a psychiatrist) is YET AGAIN involved in a great mystery precisely 25 years later?

This cannot be done without lowering the bar to "writing Bold and the Beautiful style"..... Audrey had a crush on Cooper 25 years ago? What can we do this time? "Coop now has a crush on Audrey, but he is rejected!" He will need the help of Jacoby! And eats lots of comfort-pie with Norma. Hank is getting jealous of all this time that Cooper and Norma spend together (also because he's possessed by BOB/Leland). Etc, etc.

It's just like making a show with Ridge, Thorne, Eric, Brooke and Stephanie and letting them all marry one another.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

mtwentz wrote: I think this new show is just as good as the original.
:?

Well, I guess you're in the right topic.
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

Rhodes wrote:You don't think it is extremely contrived that the same group of people (a gas station owner, a waitress, a psychiatrist) is YET AGAIN involved in a great mystery precisely 25 years later?
I see what you're saying, but -imo- a reboot is always gonna be somewhat contrived. I find the storyline we're presented with also extremely contrived. Plus who says there would have to be another mystery? If Lynch is gonna bring all of his other movies into this, I'd have liked him to follow the mood of "The Straight Story" more than anything. Just Nadine, Norma, Ed, Audrey etc 25 years later going about their daily life, and maybe a good story arc would have been a reporter coming into town who wants to interview all these people about the Laura Palmer muder mystery for a book (s)he's writing or something, and it would be some bittersweet recollecting and reflecting. Then maybe as (s)he interviews them, it seems like some of the weird mystery is woken up by this attention, and then suddenly Coop reappears in Twin Peaks or something. I'm not a writer but this is what i could come up with off the top of my head :P
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

waferwhitemilk wrote:
Rhodes wrote:You don't think it is extremely contrived that the same group of people (a gas station owner, a waitress, a psychiatrist) is YET AGAIN involved in a great mystery precisely 25 years later?
I see what you're saying, but -imo- a reboot is always gonna be somewhat contrived. I find the storyline we're presented with also extremely contrived. Plus who says there would have to be another mystery? If Lynch is gonna bring all of his other movies into this, I'd have liked him to follow the mood of "The Straight Story" more than anything. Just Nadine, Norma, Ed, Audrey etc 25 years later going about their daily life, and maybe a good story arc would have been a reporter coming into town who wants to interview all these people about the Laura Palmer muder mystery for a book (s)he's writing or something, and it would be some bittersweet recollecting and reflecting. Then maybe as (s)he interviews them, it seems like some of the weird mystery is woken up by this attention, and then suddenly Coop reappears in Twin Peaks or something. I'm not a writer but this is what i could come up with off the top of my head :P

Your approach is extremely unambitious. But I actually think it is less worse than the archetypical fanservice approach I described above! At least what you're suggesting is not total shit.

Still, I think we have gotten so much beautiful material in season 3. The mauve room scene, Red's coin trick (and the smiling body guard behind him), Becky on drugs, Cooper en Ray driving a car on a very dark, scary countryroad, the white lodge with the Giant and Señorita Dido, Mitchum smiling when he hears about the total sum of all the 30 jackpots, Candy's arm mannerisms, Richard calling his grandma a 'c***', Janey-E's rant against those two men wanting money, great nude shots of Jade and Tracey, the beautiful performance of Rebekah del Rio, the rash of the girl in the Roadhouse, Jerry and Ben's conversation over the phone, Bushne'll's appreciation of Dougie's detective skills, the fantastic performance of the shy girl from 1956, the vomiting scene in the car with the garmonbozia, Cole drawing a strange animal and seeiing the ghost of Laura, Diane fetching coffie for the guys after all. Not everything has been excellent (or even good) so far, but a lot of the stuff has just been fantastic.

Would you truly have preferred a reporter digging up some old memories with Norma and Audrey?