Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by yaxomoxay »

BOB1 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:I loved it. Really, really loved it.
My wife said that this is one of the best episodes ever. I will see what my kids think about it tomorrow
And what did they think?... Unless you've already written it somewhere between pages 148 and 169 ;)
Teen is busy until 9:30pm for band practice, so they will watch it this weekend. I will let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

The answer is that I think it is re-enforcing the negativity. It might make those who frequent only a thread like this one to see each new episode through blue rose colored glassed, hating it by default. I see how certain series/music web-fandoms have devolved to the point where it is unacceptable to utter a single word in praise for the artist/work that brought you all there in the first place. Let's put a sock in it until we know if there is something to criticize.
depechehenke

Post by depechehenke »

I guess I have to wait until 'Days of our lives' ends before I can pass judgment on it. I have some catching up to as I the last episode I saw aired in 2003. :shock:

Even if the last episode were to be amazing it would not excuse the abysmal performance up to that point. My verdict is already in and it is not a positive one.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Dreamy Audrey, it was a very interesting post (referring to the long one earlier on). Although it is indeed a very important remark that too much 'expecting' kills seeing the final result as it really is, still the name "Twin Peaks" (yes, not "Las Vegas" or "Buckhorn") obviously should mean something. It is also a fact that the false advertising is responsible for awaking people's expectations and then not living up to them.

And basically as to what you wrote one could apply my latest Dougie catchphrase:

... cut out all the extra characters ... .

Like:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:I liked Constance, for example, but now she hasn't appeared for a couple of episode and I almost forgot she existed.
I'm afraid I already forgot who she was. Was it one of the names that appeared only in the credits or have I forgotten something altogether?
One of the worst things is Freddie Sykes. He had no real introduction, we just got a glance at him in Part 2, and suddenly he reappears in Part 14 with this apparently important storyline.
Who is Freddy Sykes? (remember I haven't seen Pt 14 but I take it he had a part before?)
the junkie woman who always calls "119". Her scenes seemed very unconnected to the rest of the story and I didn't like them at all, but I thought there might be a pay-off because she appeared a few times as if to remind us of her presence. Then - nothing. She hasn't appeared for a long time, will we even see her again or were we just supposed to wonder about her in vain? And even if she reappears, what is the point of this character? I'm sure whatever story there is, it could have been set up in a more interesting way.
... more interesting way ...

Yeah but as for Dougie I will disagree - you said most of his scenes were for laughs only they weren't funny. Well I don't think they were for laughs. Whether they're funny or not is a different matter. But as a, say, Dougie-fan I don't watch these scenes for fun. They make me interested because they convey a very peculiar way of perceiving the world, which is not my way but which I find very appealing. People say: Tati, I would say more of: Forest Gump, but I have never found that the main asset of Forrest was 'funniness'. Yes, his character was funny at times but it meant much more to me. Dougie doesn't come close to Forest in my book, nevertheless I think it'sa similar case.

... similar case ...

One more thing about Diane. It is often said (in the critics' lore) that she has been ruined as a character because she was meant to be ever unseen. I'm thinking about it.
Well, clearly - yes. But clearly in the old Peaks. Showing her in the old Peaks or even in FWWM would be a grand mistake.
Not so sure about here. Now I don't mean the sentimental approach, which I myself took, that it was just a big WOW that we'll finally see the legendary Diane. Sentiments on the side I still think it might be a winning idea to introduce Diane and one which does not interefere with the original "not meant to be seen" thing. At least that's a possibility I am considering ;)
It's a completely different thing whether it was done in a good way or not. In my opinion the introduction of the character was really perfect: Albert's "I know where she drinks" is one of the very best moments of Return and the actual scene where she drinks, the "Gene Kelly" scene ;) was great, too - later it was not so great anymore. But that's a matter of opinion. I am now wondering whether the point of introducing the character was by definition flawed or not. And I don't really see that it had to be flawed. Probably because I view Twin Peaks Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks The Return as two really very different things...

And you say:
Her inclusion is also something that has an effect on re-watching the old series because it is hard to block out this Diane whenever Cooper is recording his tapes for her :(
At least for me I suppose it won't make a problem. In the old series it's not about Diane, it's always about Cooper. Even if the face and haircut of Laura Dern opens up in my mind when Coop records for her, I don't expect it should spoil the impression which is so essential to Cooper's character.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

eyeboogers wrote:to the point where it is unacceptable to utter a single word in praise
Sure it's a possibility but I'm pretty sure it is NOT the case of this thread. Of course within 70+ pages it happens and I (unfortunately) took a look back here to see what dugpa was referring to when he made his moderating remark... that was a turn I personally dislike; it happens but it does not erase the fact that The Return fans have been here from the beginning and from the beginning they provided very interesting insights. And it is one of the reasons why I so like this thread (usually) - here is where you can really read great posts expressing all kinds of attitude towards the new series while of course the disappointed approach is the leading one, which I find very interesting because, at least in an environment like this, it is unusual and hence thought provoking.

By the way:
RedRum wrote:because you and yaxomoxay are playing a game of troll the Twin Peaks fan.
Yaxomaxay & others, just from myself I want you to know that in no way do I see your activity here as trolling and please notice that in those unfortunate pages of too many posts in the last few days, you've been basically playing ping-pong with one person. And there are many other people here.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

BOB1 wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:I liked Constance, for example, but now she hasn't appeared for a couple of episode and I almost forgot she existed.
I'm afraid I already forgot who she was. Was it one of the names that appeared only in the credits or have I forgotten something altogether?
She was the Buckhorn coroner who examined Major Briggs' body and found Dougie's ring in his body. She also had dinner with Albert.
BOB1 wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:One of the worst things is Freddie Sykes. He had no real introduction, we just got a glance at him in Part 2, and suddenly he reappears in Part 14 with this apparently important storyline.
Who is Freddy Sykes? (remember I haven't seen Pt 14 but I take it he had a part before?)
He was the guy who went to the Roadhouse with James in Part 2.
BOB1 wrote:Yeah but as for Dougie I will disagree - you said most of his scenes were for laughs only they weren't funny. Well I don't think they were for laughs. Whether they're funny or not is a different matter. But as a, say, Dougie-fan I don't watch these scenes for fun. They make me interested because they convey a very peculiar way of perceiving the world, which is not my way but which I find very appealing. People say: Tati, I would say more of: Forest Gump, but I have never found that the main asset of Forrest was 'funniness'. Yes, his character was funny at times but it meant much more to me. Dougie doesn't come close to Forest in my book, nevertheless I think it'sa similar case.
Okay, maybe they weren't meant for laughs. The problem with these scenes is that I heard a couple of people say that Dougie's scenes are the best part of the new Twin Peaks because they are so funny - as if that was the only thing we can take from the Dougie scenes and that seemed like a disgrace to the character of Cooper :(
BOB1 wrote:And you say:
Her inclusion is also something that has an effect on re-watching the old series because it is hard to block out this Diane whenever Cooper is recording his tapes for her :(
At least for me I suppose it won't make a problem. In the old series it's not about Diane, it's always about Cooper. Even if the face and haircut of Laura Dern opens up in my mind when Coop records for her, I don't expect it should spoil the impression which is so essential to Cooper's character.
To me it might be a problem. In the old series I was doubting a few times whether Diane was a real person and I liked the ambiguity of that. But unless it turns out that Laura Dern's Diane is manufactured or a dream/illusion or a different Diane, this ambiguity will be gone for me.
kleio

Post by kleio »

eyeboogers wrote:The answer is that I think it is re-enforcing the negativity. It might make those who frequent only a thread like this one to see each new episode through blue rose colored glassed, hating it by default. I see how certain series/music web-fandoms have devolved to the point where it is unacceptable to utter a single word in praise for the artist/work that brought you all there in the first place. Let's put a sock in it until we know if there is something to criticize.
I don't think that is the case, as people on the thread tend to dislike different parts of the series. There are people who dislike a particular aspect, but there are others who think that aspect is great and are annoyed by something else. The only thing really consistent is the disappointment. Given that this is one thread on an incredibly positive board, I don't see the "contagion" spreading if that is your concern. As to your final sentence, there is something to criticize. Unfortunately, there are many things to criticize. I wish that it were not so.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

eyeboogers wrote:The answer is that I think it is re-enforcing the negativity. It might make those who frequent only a thread like this one to see each new episode through blue rose colored glassed, hating it by default.
Funny thing, it was especially created because of people like you, who, for some time, are trespassing in a thread they despise to lecture us. What is re-enforced here is my negativity. Oh and by the way...
Spoiler:
Twin Peaks the Return SUCKS ASS!
God it feels good... :mrgreen:
eyeboogers wrote:Let's put a sock in it until we know if there is something to criticize.
Something to critize? What a joke! Have you not read the previous 170 and so pages? I don't post in the other threads to not bother those happy with The Return. Can you return us the courtesy?
Last edited by Aqwell on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Aqwell wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:The answer is that I think it is re-enforcing the negativity. It might make those who frequent only a thread like this one to see each new episode through blue rose colored glassed, hating it by default.
Funny thing, it was especially created because of people like you, who, for some time, are trespassing in a thread they despise to lecture us. What is re-enforced here is my negativity.
eyeboogers wrote:Let's put a sock in it until we know if there is something to criticize.
Something to critize? What a joke! Have you not read the previous 170 and so pages? I don't post in the other threads to not bother those happy with The Return. Can you return us the courtesy?
You are calling another TP fan "...people like you" with a negative connotation and call me posting "trespassing". This is exactly my point. Toxicity lingers and there is no need for it. Let's have a proper dialogue about things once the seasons over. Creating fractions of "hating it vs. loving it" is no good in my view.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

eyeboogers wrote:You are calling another TP fan "...people like you" with a negative connotation and call me posting "trespassing". This is exactly my point. Toxicity lingers and there is no need for it. Let's have a proper dialogue about things once the seasons over. Creating fractions of "hating it vs. loving it" is no good in my view.
You provoked negativity first. I didn't post on any other threads to criticize TPTR because I know how many like it. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer. Now I'm sick of reading things like "you can't criticize it before it ends", "it's an 18 hours movie", "How could someone talk shit about someone else's art?" on the Profoundly Disappointed Support Group.

Grunt. :evil:
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

eyeboogers wrote:
Aqwell wrote:
Funny thing, it was especially created because of people like you, who, for some time, are trespassing in a thread they despise to lecture us. What is re-enforced here is my negativity.
You are calling another TP fan "...people like you" with a negative connotation and call me posting "trespassing". This is exactly my point. Toxicity lingers and there is no need for it. Let's have a proper dialogue about things once the seasons over. Creating fractions of "hating it vs. loving it" is no good in my view.
You might want to contact the mods and ask them to close every single thread that relates to the new show on the board then. Every single one. Because as you said, 'Let's have a proper dialogue about things once the seasons over', means there is nothing to discuss in any way, shape or form about TP3 now. Best get messaging!

Eyeboogers and Aqwell, can you guys cool it? As dugpa said earlier, lets not do this.

I do hope some people aren't coming on here to make trouble and get the disappointed thread shut down. If that's what some are doing please stop - it's very immature and not worthy of this board.
Last edited by Venus on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Rialto wrote: Been pondering a discussion we had a while back about semiotics and how those who love the series are interpreting the text. The longer I sit with the thought, the more I reflect on how the place I'm in, in my head, in my life at the moment, plus the age/situation I was at when I watched the original TP, are affecting my reception of The Return, as one of the Disappointed. I've no doubt it's a huge part of how I'm reading it.
Or it might just be it's not very good 8)
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

BOB1 wrote: Yaxomaxay & others, just from myself I want you to know that in no way do I see your activity here as trolling and please notice that in those unfortunate pages of too many posts in the last few days, you've been basically playing ping-pong with one person. And there are many other people here.
Thank your for your kind words. I am glad that the moderator called me out as I was getting too tangled in what I wanted to avoid myself.
Back to the nerdiverse of Twin Peaks now!

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

LateReg wrote:
sylvia_north wrote: To not derail further- regarding the jack rabbit's scene- the fog machine looked bad in digital, not at all like the fog in the dark corridor of Lost Highway. Very film school.
I really thought the fog looked amazing on my TV. That atmosphere seemed perfectly conjured for the scene. I hope I don't think less of it on second viewing.
I didn't even notice the fog!!!! Oops

Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

yaxomoxay wrote:
LateReg wrote:
sylvia_north wrote: To not derail further- regarding the jack rabbit's scene- the fog machine looked bad in digital, not at all like the fog in the dark corridor of Lost Highway. Very film school.
I really thought the fog looked amazing on my TV. That atmosphere seemed perfectly conjured for the scene. I hope I don't think less of it on second viewing.
I didn't even notice the fog!!!! Oops

Oh it wasn't good. It looked like the machine had just pumped it out and nobody had wafted it around to make it seem more natural. You would have thought they would at least have been able to find a bit of cardboard or something to do some wafting with wouldn't you. It surprised me as I would have thought that would have been something relatively easy to have sorted out unless they just couldn't be arsed? I bet naked blind girl wished they had done a bit more wafting and given her a little more decency.
Last edited by Venus on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.