Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by waferwhitemilk »

Apparently it's not only (part of) the audience that's profoundly disappointed:
Twin Peaks’ Julee Cruise Calls Finale ‘Slap In The Face’ From ‘Emperor’ David Lynch
By Brett Buchanan - Sep 4, 2017 0
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

Julee Cruise appeared for a brief performance at the end of the first part of Twin Peaks’ two hour finale last night on Showtime. Cruise isn’t happy with the finale or how she was treated on the show, and she made her feelings known with a series of posts on Facebook. Cruise was iconic for her performances on the original series.

She wrote on Facebook, “I’m done. and I could care Less about TP. My subconscious never lies……I have my answer now of what I will do with the rest of my life!” Twin Peaks star Harry Goaz liked this post, and commented: “I love you Julee!”

Cruise also wrote of the finale, “I Yelled my Head off in Anger!”

“I’m very angry right now.”

A fan wrote, “I was SO HAPPY to see you and yet heartbroken to get so little. You are as much Twin Peaks as any OG cast member. It was a disappointing experience after a season of long musical acts to only get a few seconds of you. By far the most disappointing part of the entire finale.”

Cruise responded, “He did it to slap me in the face.”

“I So God Damned Sick of …….if you only knew.”

“They Treated Me Like Trash!”

“You weren’t there! I’ve been there with them for Most of my life!”

“I don’t like The David Lynch Sabrina Southerland Attitude toward me, and I Will Never Work for The Emperor Again..thank God!”

“I tried to hide. I changed my number! I changed my email address…it was such A BUMMER when I heard it was coming Back.”
https://www.alternativenation.net/twin- ... vid-lynch/
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

They cut my shot. Those guys can go fuck themselves.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
nimeoa
Roadhouse Member

Post by nimeoa »

That was an absolute shit fest, plain and simple. I mean, what else can be said? Wasted time and wasted opportunity. A deliberate slap in the face to every Twin Peaks fan who can see past the bullshit being spewed onto the screen and not just mindlessly praise it. It really does seem as though Lynch loathes Twin Peaks, it's world and it's fans. I don't need a super happy ending, or every single thread wrapped up perfectly, but holy shit, give us SOMETHING. Don't set up so many characters, so many stories and then just throw them away. It's not genius, it's not brilliant. It's shitty, lazy writing. Why did Lynch whine like a baby and walk off the project originally? Because he needed more episodes to waste our time and get hopes up only to crush them over and over? That's something he actually fought for? Something the poor original cast took time to cobble together a video of themselves saying how important Lynch is and how they want him back? Jesus, he didn't just slap us in the face, he slapped the actors and characters they portray.

If his goal was to kill Twin Peaks, he did it. Don't hold your breath for a season 4.

I don't even think a rewatch of the original will cleanse my pallet of this self indulgent, aimless, pretentious trash.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

David Locke wrote:Albeit, Green Glove Man and Bouncing-Ball BOB was possibly the worst extended sequence of the entire TP run (especially the worst "serious" sequence)...
Oh...I don't know that it was "serious"
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Hey LITM. Great to see you post! Looking forward to seeing your take on all this. Have you already posted it? If so would appreciate a link!
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

mlsstwrt wrote:Hey LITM. Great to see you post! Looking forward to seeing your take on all this. Have you already posted it? If so would appreciate a link!
I think Joel has logged off, here's the link: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/09/ ... -past.html
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

boske wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:Hey LITM. Great to see you post! Looking forward to seeing your take on all this. Have you already posted it? If so would appreciate a link!
I think Joel has logged off, here's the link: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/09/ ... -past.html
Thanks Boske! Have always really liked his extremely eloquent posts.

I don't normally read the main thread but couldn't resist. A fair few seemed to love it but looks like some weren't too happy at all.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

mlsstwrt wrote:
boske wrote:
Thanks Boske! Have always really liked his extremely eloquent posts.

I don't normally read the main thread but couldn't resist. A fair few seemed to love it but looks like some weren't too happy at all.
Thanks! I am not reading it anymore, have not been since part 13 or so I think.

Mr Reindeer was right (about many things, even though we may not always agree, but on this one in particular): there is going to be a schism between DL-first and TP-first fans. As much as part 18 can be viewed as an interesting Twilight Zone episode, part 17 definitely retcons the original (for me even part 14 alone was enough for that conclusion, when Sarah Palmer removed her face mask).
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

If I could go back and not watch a single episode of TPTR I would do it in a second.

The last scene in FWWM was perfect for me. Laura was dead but she had reached some kind of salvation. That was the place to leave it.

Cockney 'Awight geeza!' Green Glove Boy didn't really defeat Bob did he? I assume that's just people joking around on the internet. I mean every single person who has seen it and is writing about it is in on the joke. Lynch would never do anything that terrible. Right. Right?!
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I've been listening to Julee Cruise's songs all morning now, starting with "Floating into the Night" and will then go into "The Voice of Love". You know, Julee is right. The played ZZ Top (which I do like) without them even being there, they played Lissie (sp?), and that freakin' Simone band twice, and all of a sudden they do not have a few minutes for Julee, that's a shame. And a certain moron left a comment at that link you posted, that nobody wants to see her lip-sync (like the other bands were playing live?!), and that she (Julee) has mental issues?! Shame on them!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

mlsstwrt wrote:If I could go back and not watch a single episode of TPTR I would do it in a second.

The last scene in FWWM was perfect for me. Laura was dead but she had reached some kind of salvation. That was the place to leave it.

Cockney 'Awight geeza!' Green Glove Boy didn't really defeat Bob did he? I assume that's just people joking around on the internet. I mean every single person who has seen it and is writing about it is in on the joke. Lynch would never do anything that terrible. Right. Right?!
Here's my interpretation: the entire Twin Peaks universe is one long dream by an unknown person, maybe named Cooper but possibly named Richard.

I certainly understand that upsets a lot of people. We want a story with coherence. And dreams can have coherence for a while, until the logic breaks apart at the end.

So I can certainly understand people who will hate The Return. I don't agree that's it a bad film/series, but it's definitely whittled down the audience to tans of surrealism.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
nimeoa
Roadhouse Member

Post by nimeoa »

I attempted to read some of the main thread, but I can only take so much of this being called "the most incredible 2 hours of television ever" before it sets off my gag reflex. Look, I'm not an idiot. I realize it's all subjective. It's just that I have a tough time understanding all the love. Lynch could pretty much show A cow being milked in slow motion for 5 minutes, then a brief Aerosmith performance with a hard cut to a girl holding an ice cream cone. The ice cream melts slowly down the cone, then we follow the drop to the ground in excruciating slow-mo for 4 minutes while Moonlight Sonata plays (in slow motion of course). People would talk about how it made them cry and never before have they witnessed such brilliance.

Take Lynch's name off the credits, and this shit woulda been panned to no end.
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

boske wrote: And a certain moron left a comment at that link you posted (...) that she (Julee) has mental issues?! Shame on them!
Fans said the same about Sherilyn Fenn when she voiced her disappointment with how she was treated. From interviews I've seen Sherilyn and Julee seem like loving sweet persons. Incidentally (?) Julee used the exact same phrase as Sherilyn did at the time: "if you only knew..". Maybe the real mystery behind TPL:TR isn't so wonderful after all!

https://www.alternativenation.net/sheri ... eaks-2017/
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

nimeoa wrote:I attempted to read some of the main thread, but I can only take so much of this being called "the most incredible 2 hours of television ever" before it sets off my gag reflex. Look, I'm not an idiot. I realize it's all subjective. It's just that I have a tough time understanding all the love. Lynch could pretty much show A cow being milked in slow motion for 5 minutes, then a brief Aerosmith performance with a hard cut to a girl holding an ice cream cone. The ice cream melts slowly down the cone, then we follow the drop to the ground in excruciating slow-mo for 4 minutes while Moonlight Sonata plays (in slow motion of course). People would talk about how it made them cry and never before have they witnessed such brilliance.

I think it was a beautiful two hours- but it also upended the entire Twin Peaks story, and basically turned it into one long nightmare of an unnamed person, who may or may not be named 'Cooper'.

that is very controversial and sure to piss off a lot of fans, maybe even a majority. But that doesn't mean it is not well made. Just highly frustrating.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

nimeoa wrote:I attempted to read some of the main thread, but I can only take so much of this being called "the most incredible 2 hours of television ever" before it sets off my gag reflex. Look, I'm not an idiot. I realize it's all subjective. It's just that I have a tough time understanding all the love. Lynch could pretty much show A cow being milked in slow motion for 5 minutes, then a brief Aerosmith performance with a hard cut to a girl holding an ice cream cone. The ice cream melts slowly down the cone, then we follow the drop to the ground in excruciating slow-mo for 4 minutes while Moonlight Sonata plays (in slow motion of course). People would talk about how it made them cry and never before have they witnessed such brilliance.

Here's some surrealism that works :lol: