Theories & Speculation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BigEd
RR Diner Member

Re: Theories & Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by BigEd »

dronerstone wrote:
wxray wrote: I was shocked early in life and until my teens, I got paranoid around a substation that was nearby. I used to have to take a 2 block detour to avoid it. The hum and crackles were very ominous to me. It tapped into something deep inside, which is what DKL is doing to us.
I know exactly what you mean. I got shocked by a wall outlet when I was about 5. Literally threw me across the room and I blacked out in shock and didn't tell anyone it happened.

Plus, there was a concrete-housed transformer station one block away, right near the woods. It didn't do anything but sit there and hum. Was a pretty monolithic and mythical place in my childhood and teens, we used to go skateboarding there and it was where we had our first cigarettes. Still creepy when I think of it, and it's actually still there in the same form (I'm 35 by now).
120 volts "literally" threw you across a room and made you black out???!! This is a stranger phenomenon than anything portrayed in a DKL creation. :D Sorry, but your memory isn't functioning well here. A 120V shock might leave a lasting impression, but it isn't throwing anybody anywhere.
Northman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Northman »

Can the 'Mother' banging on the door in part 3 be a related to how Mark Frosts book speaks about the lodge related stuff as the mother of 'all those things supernatural/extradimensional/extranatural'?
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

BigEd wrote:
120 volts "literally" threw you across a room and made you black out???!! This is a stranger phenomenon than anything portrayed in a DKL creation. :D Sorry, but your memory isn't functioning well here. A 120V shock might leave a lasting impression, but it isn't throwing anybody anywhere.
220 volts, and I was 5 and put pieces of metal into a wall wart. Clever, huh? "Across the room" might be a little exaggerating, but I know I came to my senses not exactly where I blacked out.

Back on topic: yup, thought so too. I don't think the mother is a physical being, at least not necessarily.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

While googling "naido" I found this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tambora_language it means black in that indonesian language. That whole civilization was wiped out by biggest volcano eruption in history, the year was 1815! There's that 15 again...

There's some epic banging going on with the series. Big, BIG explosions... With nukes and all :)

Btw that AC/DC theory is interesting, but if that would be true, Cooper should materialize through DC source.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

gavriloP wrote:While googling "naido" I found this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tambora_language it means black in that indonesian language. That whole civilization was wiped out by biggest volcano eruption in history, the year was 1815! There's that 15 again...

There's some epic banging going on with the series. Big, BIG explosions... With nukes and all :)

Btw that AC/DC theory is interesting, but if that would be true, Cooper should materialize through DC source.
Good find!!!

I still wonder how they manage to tie those bomb tests (?) into the whole thing. Maybe huge radioactive bursts open portals?
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

Is the use of Take Five in the breakfast scene a hint that we are indeed dealing with a television show?
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

The somewhat-distorted voice on the machine after evil Cooper kills Darya, is it Lynch regular Scott Coffey?
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member

Post by dropkick23 »

Might there be a phyllis hastings, phillip jeffries connection ?
gary2381
Roadhouse Member

Post by gary2381 »

I wonder if in some strange time loop (from FWWM) Laura writes in her diary that "The good Dale is in the Lodge and can't leave" per Annie's instuctions. They have all of the evidence on the table in the conference room. Maybe Wally will stop by and decided to read her diary.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Adolphus wrote:Any body made the connection between the couple having sex in front of the glass box in NYC and the demon appearing and the whole Jack Parsons/ Thelema angle ( sex magick ) from Frost's " Secret History... " book?
I think the creature is one of the "grays" Jack Parsons mentions to Dougie Milford and that are mentioned in Dougie's note recounting a conversation with his source "M." According to DM, they are more "extra-dimensional" than "extraterrestrial." Not sure why it appeared in the box - wondering if Coop is the Moonchild referenced in the book as part of Crowley's novel that the lodges are fighting over - maybe the creature is after Coop. Parsons was working on a second gateway in the desert in '49 to summon the moon child. Maybe the billionaire is trying to do the same thing.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Probably not indicative of anything, but it's interesting that the actress who played the thing in the box is credited for playing "Experiment Model," as opposed to say "Creature Model."
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Northman wrote:Can the 'Mother' banging on the door in part 3 be a related to how Mark Frosts book speaks about the lodge related stuff as the mother of 'all those things supernatural/extradimensional/extranatural'?
Was wondering the same - she's referred to as the "Mother of Abomination" in the book and Parsons had been trying to summon her into human form. She apparently was central to the Thelema cult.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Probably not indicative of anything, but it's interesting that the actress who played the thing in the box is credited for playing "Experiment Model," as opposed to say "Creature Model."
- Completely missed that! This keeps getting more interesting . . .
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I think Naido and the American Girl are willing to help Cooper because they're on the side of the Lodge forces trying to defeat Bob.

Returning Cooper to his world is an important step in doing that.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Hester Prynne wrote:
Northman wrote: She apparently was central to the Thelema cult.
Nah. The only thing central to Thelema is arguing over the OTO.